• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 PC Screenshot Thread

NeoRaider

36647122190_b0261b7bb4_o.png

36872984232_1f92c4a6e8_o.png

R8TEDM3

^ Those all look great man, especially in native 8k. I can't get over how good it looks.

Thanks bud. Works pretty darn good on SLI bits 0x080200F5 (Max Payne 3) with AFR rendering mode if anyone is looking to get into it. I get 92-95% card utilization on my Gpu's.
And this DLC is really good too! Reminds me of Uncharted/Crysis series a lot.

OtisInf

36244228553_4266ceea06_o.jpg

37051737015_2f2d668051_o.jpg

I think your shots are fine. People here seem to suggest that a screenshot is a screenshot only if you spend several hours (or days even) setting it up and this is something I absolutely disagree with. HUDs are a part of gaming visuals as much as anything else so it's totally fine to post screenshots with HUDs, even if it's very easy to hide them (and more than once I hadn't bothered removing the HUD from some game if it was more complex than pressing a button). FOV of your shots is fine also. And you most definitely are not required to use any hacks / free cam tools / injectors to make a screenshot.
No, I think people are suggesting it's better to look at (or rephrased: doesn't hurt your eyes) when some effort (as in typing 2(!) damn characters) is done. I mean, why share a turd of a shot full of jaggies, awful colors and a HUD, but spend a lot of time avoiding any form of compression, because oh dear, all awfulness that comes with low-fi old shit game graphics is fine, but please, no compression artifacts, because those, man, those really hurt your eyes. Right?

I'm not saying someone should spent hours to set up a shot (hell, I don't even spent more than 5 minutes on a shot most of the time) but everyone posting here should ask the question: "why on earth would I share this shot with the world". For a shot of an old game with shitty DX9 gfx with 2 layer shading, I'm sorry, but there's no reason, other than "look ma, I got it running on my new PC and it still looks like a polished turd!". Which can be fun, admitted, but let's not kid ourselves here: there's no universe where finding A) compression artifacts (and oh dear lordy, let's not forget a tiny little name of 10x48 pixels!!1) are evil and should be outlawed but B) ugly as sin shots from old games with jaggies and a phat HUD are OK.

dr_rus

No, I think people are suggesting it's better to look at (or rephrased: doesn't hurt your eyes) when some effort (as in typing 2(!) damn characters) is done. I mean, why share a turd of a shot full of jaggies, awful colors and a HUD, but spend a lot of time avoiding any form of compression, because oh dear, all awfulness that comes with low-fi old shit game graphics is fine, but please, no compression artifacts, because those, man, those really hurt your eyes. Right?

I'm not saying someone should spent hours to set up a shot (hell, I don't even spent more than 5 minutes on a shot most of the time) but everyone posting here should ask the question: "why on earth would I share this shot with the world". For a shot of an old game with shitty DX9 gfx with 2 layer shading, I'm sorry, but there's no reason, other than "look ma, I got it running on my new PC and it still looks like a polished turd!". Which can be fun, admitted, but let's not kid ourselves here: there's no universe where finding A) compression artifacts (and oh dear lordy, let's not forget a tiny little name of 10x48 pixels!!1) are evil and should be outlawed but B) ugly as sin shots from old games with jaggies and a phat HUD are OK.

Because that's how a game actually looks like when you play it. And last time I checked this thread was about screenshots from games, not artwork made with in-game assets.

Nick Pal

I don't think we need to argue the point any further. If you want to post screenshots with a HUD no one is stopping you and it's not against the rules, but I'd wager they'd only appeal to a minority here. There are literally thousands of straightforward gameplay shots on the net with a HUD so I don't see why there's any point checking in here when the vast majority choose to post them without. Do as you please..

darksiders22017-09-04d2bep.jpg

darksiders22017-09-0479x6i.jpg

Because that's how a game actually looks like when you play it. And last time I checked this thread was about screenshots from games, not artwork made with in-game assets.
I agree that HUD is not an issue, i think that most games are art, with or without HUD and mods. But i also agree that most people prefer screens without HUD more, 90% of my most popular screenshots in Steam are HUDless. Personally I'm trying to make screens without HUD, but only when game have built-in cheats and options to do this, i also don't have any of those fancy Flickr or whatever accounts. So, in my opinion let people post here whatever they want if it fits the rules and they think it worth posting here, and i don't see strict no-HUD rule in OP.

Nick Pal

Besides Flickr, can anyone recommend a decent image host site where you can upload shots that are 10mb+ in size? I usually use abload but the cap is 10mb.

midhras

Why not use Flickr? It's the largest, in many ways most dependable (well, usually) image hosting site around. No image size cap. You can link directly to huuumongous PNG's if you want. No bandwidth caps. Free. What more could you want?

Nick Pal

Why not use Flickr? It's the largest, in many ways most dependable (well, usually) image hosting site around. No image size cap. You can link directly to huuumongous PNG's if you want. No bandwidth caps. Free. What more could you want?

True, Flickr does have it all and I may have to go back to it for this reason alone. That's all I really need it for though, a place where I can store my oversized images, some of which are 40mb+ in size and link to them if the need be. I was hoping to find that on a site that doesn't have a like or favorite button. I know. I'm weird.

midhras

Just set your account to private. You can still share your images on other sites and you won't have to endure people favouriting or not favouriting your shots. Virtually unlimited storage size is sweet. And if you're not opting for a public profile, you can upload the big original files as well as properly downsampled forum size shots. Because fuck Flickr's downsampling algorithm and jpg quality.

Nick Pal

Just set your account to private. You can still share your images on other sites and you won't have to endure people favouriting or not favouriting your shots. Virtually unlimited storage size is sweet. And if you're not opting for a public profile, you can upload the big original files as well as properly downsampled forum size shots. Because fuck Flickr's downsampling algorithm and jpg quality.

Oh I never knew one could do that. Man all those years I had an account and I didn't even bother looking into it. Well that's sweet then, problem solved. Thanks.

Oh I never knew one could do that. Man all those years I had an account and I didn't even bother looking into it. Well that's sweet then, problem solved. Thanks.

95% of the images I upload to my jim1point5 Flickr account are invisible to all you weirdos :p

Like this one from Escape from Tarkov

36751810606_c1c0612d7d_o.jpg

Quite liked these

let's not kid ourselves here: there's no universe where finding compression artifacts are evil and should be outlawed but ugly as sin shots from old games with jaggies and a phat HUD are OK.

Well the problem with ugly as sin shots is that it's a very subjective judgement. We have this rule:

Thinking: Think before you post. Is the screenshot really worth posting? Does anyone care about some ugly texture you found? No.

But... again, very subjective what someone might find worth posting. Maybe some people just want to feel like they're contributing. There are some things that bother me far more than seeing old Skyrim screenshots, but I'm reminded of the "if you don't like it, keep scrolling" arguments from days of yore.

Nick Pal

95% of the images I upload to my jim1point5 Flickr account are invisible to all you weirdos :p

Ha, expect lots of creeping soon. lol. I never paid any attention to the settings before but there's a surprising amount of options for privacy as I've just discovered. Now if only there was one for turning off likes and allowing comments only under public views. That would have been nice..

midhras

Yeah, that is a sin by omission. You can enable or disable comments, even only allow comments by friends or contacts, but you can't do the same for favourites.

Nick Pal

Yeah, that is a sin by omission. You can enable or disable comments, even only allow comments by friends or contacts, but you can't do the same for favourites.

At least it can be limited to the people we follow..better than nothing I suppose. I just don't want to get into the whole numbers game again. Means fuck all to me now.

Edit. Like this a lot btw.

Enjoying the Life is Strange shots too. Is that a photo mode and DOF in-game? It looks really good.

kingsalmon

Neo Member
some simple shots
i'm pretty new to screenshots like this, feel free to give some tips or any criticism you deem necessary

Top Bottom