• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

21:9 Gaming Thread | That cinematic feel

The Dude

Crazy duuuude :)

But do you agree with my point? Everyone is looking for a QHD but can´t feed such displays with high quality pictures to make it worth the money.

Playing with under 60 fps is not what "PC master race" means ;) ..in my opinion at least.

https://flic.kr/p/Q9YcZj

There's dishonored 2, the pic doesn't even show the full depth of color and clarity this thing puts out. But this isn't the thread for that so I don't want to derail. But I'll give up a few HZ for 60 at 4k and 130" that looks as good as it does with 7.1 ss and every other bell and whistle.

The 21:9 monitor is sweet if I didn't own the Epson. That epson was the best 3k bucks I've spent for displays easily. The whole embodiment of the gaming experience changes drastically and becomes epic as opposed to sitting at my desk.

So I'm having a bit of an issue here. I'm trying to play the original Chronicles of Riddick. Got it up and running and whatnot. It supports ultrawide, but only at under 2k resolutions. Annoying, but whatever, so I set up a custom resolution of 1920x810. No problem, right?

sbzengine2017-01-1800yquni.png

Well, no. It displays like this, even when set to scale based on aspect ratio.
img_0412aiue7.jpg

If I set it to scale based on full screen it looks like this:
img_0413jauoy.jpg

The issue seems to be on the Nvidia driver side, since it does this even when just running my desktop at this resolution. It seems like maybe it's taking a 1920x1080 resolution, and adjusting it from there? So any attempts to scale up just has it scaling to 1920x1080, instead of to my full native resolution.

Is there any way to fix this?

I can kind of brute force it by setting my monitor to "wide" while I'm scaling to full screen, it just seems odd that I have to do it like that. I'm basically double scaling that way.

A comparison to show it is indeed natively ultrawide:

This game was a technical marvel when it came out, and even now it's impressing me.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
AOC has announced a 100hz 35' G-sync VA monitor for... £799

http://www.pcgamer.com/aoc-announces-100hz-35-inch-curved-g-sync-monitor-for-799/

It might be the same display as the HP Omen that was announced a few weeks back.
At the moment this is looking like my next monitor purchase.

Damn that green stripe at the bottom of the screen looks ugly as hell. I don't care about the stand (hideous as well), since you can replace it with a desk mount. Still, it's about 300 € cheaper than the Omen with supposedly the exact same panel. That's a lot of money. Reviews of this panel will be interesting.

*edit* Oh, looking at more pictures, it seems like a LED bar with different colors that you hopefully can turn off. Redeemed.

Zabojnik

Very nice. Not as slick as the bezel-less Omen, but for 300€ less I think I could live with it. I'll be wall mounting mine, so I don't care about the stand or how the back of it looks. As long as you can turn off any and all rgb leds, I'm rahter okay with it.

Roll on March + reviews of both monitors.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
How'd you get it at that price?

Oh and for those that don't know the Omen 35" got pushed back to March or April.

I booted up Berseria for the first time and thought they dropped 21:9 support for the game. Forgot I had to enable a mod to get 21:9 support. For this game I had to change some hexfiles. Works wonderful after you do that.

ParityBit

Quick question (I just have not tried yet and am wondering if it would be wasting my time), but how does a PS4 on a X34 look? I realize I would have bars on the sides, but I am pondering it for convenience reasons.

Wounded

Quick question (I just have not tried yet and am wondering if it would be wasting my time), but how does a PS4 on a X34 look? I realize I would have bars on the sides, but I am pondering it for convenience reasons.

I personally wouldn't recommend it. I (and have seen others) have an issue where there will be black borders on the screen but the aspect ratio is slightly off no matter which mode you pick, so it's always slightly stretched.

And if you do get it to work correctly, the PS4 @ 1080p will not look as good as it could on the X34 since it's 1440p so scaling won't be quite right.

Kymbo

Hi guys,
I'm thinking of grabbing an ultrawide at the end of March but I'm concerned that my pc might not be up to scratch.
I have a gtx1080 ftw
Asus Z170-a motherboard
i5-6600k@4.2ghz
16gig ram

I am looking at the Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 g-sync in particular as it seems to fit my needs/wants.

Anyone here have this particular model or have any other recomendations?

Thanks in advance

OraleeWey

Hi guys,
I'm thinking of grabbing an ultrawide at the end of March but I'm concerned that my pc might not be up to scratch.
I have a gtx1080 ftw
Asus Z170-a motherboard
i5-6600k@4.2ghz
16gig ram

I am looking at the Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 g-sync in particular as it seems to fit my needs/wants.

Anyone here have this particular model or have any other recomendations?

Thanks in advance
Your PC is beefy you will be fine for 1440p 60fps

Blitzhex

It's time to jump into the ultrawide game again. 32:9 is where it's at.

I don't even care if I'm going to be playing games with one screen's worth of black bars. The desktop experience is going to be amazing. Same as two 16:9 monitors side by side.

Yeeeeaaaah.... I'm content with just 21:9 for now. I actually prefer to have a 2nd monitor so I can tilt it so that it's facing me more. When things are that far to my right\left, I feel like the curve on the monitor wouldn't be enough so that I'm looking at it squarely.

petran79

Banned
Got the ASUS ROG Swift 34" . Since I have a GTX1080 already it would have been a waste without such monitor.
Kept the old LG W2361V as a second monitor, for compatibiliy's sake. Trying to get used to the new view.

Top Bottom