• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343i Matchmaking / Launch Issues Update

That ELO rank matchmaking they were hinting at for Halo 5... They should forget about it for launch. It'll cause way more problems.

Implement it when it does become competitive.

SURGEdude

Bungie introduced for the first time the concept of Matchmaking, and people were confused at first, crying for they obsolete server browser and stuff like that.

I've got nothing against the existence of matchmaking, but calling the server browser obsolete is insane. It should be an option in every game.

Pretty happy I held off on the game now and convinced my friends to do the same.

I can only imagine how pissed we'd all be if we had gone in without making sure everything was working...

PooBone

Matchmaking is already performing a lot better for me. I just played Halo 1 team slayer with some friends online on both Damnation and Hang 'em High and it was glorious.

I still don't get why Halo 1's playlist isn't up, though..

I heard one of 343's employees in a pre-launch press video (i think on IGN) say it was because of a vehicle issue.

????

Gleeky

I know this won't help anyone, and I bought an Xbox One mostly for MCC, but thank god Xbox One has so many good games out for it right now. Playing the shit out of SSO and FH2 while 343 goes to work. Looking forward to playing CODAW as well.

The few games I have been able to get into (godly smooth Halo 1 matches) leave me optimistic for the near future.

jbug617

Banned
Saw the new update. They are waiting for some of the Xbox Live problems to clear up before they do another server update

We have identified that our 11.12 morning server-side update has improved matchmaking times for many users, while others are still seeing longer than expected times.

This evening we plan to deploy additional server updates that will improve searching times and increase the likelihood of players finding games. The update will allow more players to enter matches, which may result in larger team sizes (5v5 instead of 4v4, for example). Occasionally, this may result in uneven teams, and we continue to work on this issue.

Skele7on

Banned
So essentially they're upping team sizes to make matchmaking seem faster.

As if you're searching for 10 instead of 8 that'll up the cap....

But then by doing that they're increasing the chances of odd team sizes.

We're screwed they're not fixing, they're hacking...

This is not the worst part, the worst part is how they took a dump on what could have been the best nostalgia-associated launch of a game ever! These issues are running everything about Halo!

"1th"?! Are you serious! This shows they did 0 quality testing before releasing this!

Krilekk

Banned
You remember how Microsoft was once talking about their seemless multiplayer thanks to the cloud, searching for games automatically in the background and starting almost instantly whenever you want to play. Yeah ...

CE The truth and reconciliation mission checkpoints playing in legendary DON'T WORK. At least the first or second one. I spent like an hour playing like a frightened rat for nothing.
Anybody with the same problem?

Edit: My bad, iron skull activated. :/

jakeumms

I finally was able to get matched up with other players in MP this morning. Unfortunately I was on my way out the door to work and couldn't actually play. I had no luck getting matched up all last night.

So far I've only been able to play single player. I've never seen multiplayer work this poorly before. This game has turned into a huge disappointment. I pulled the trigger on an Xbone specifically for this game so I am tremendously let down.

This is not the worst part, the worst part is how they took a dump on what could have been the best nostalgia-associated launch of a game ever! These issues are running everything about Halo!

"1th"?! Are you serious! This shows they did 0 quality testing before releasing this!

I get something better, I get -1th, negative oneth lol

hwalker84

Had nightmares trying to get parties to work yesterday. Friends accept my invite or I accept another friends. The game then thinks we're all together even though we're not. Nobody can join each other. Then if we finally get in a room together through some miracle. We never get a match.

Can you imagine if Halo 2 had launched like this? That would have been the end of the matchmaking experiment and we'd still be using server browsers.

I still can't believe the game was released in this state. I've been an Xbox Live member for almost 11 years and I can't recall an online game being this broken. Even BF4 still worked most of the time at launch. To think this could happen with Halo of all games is baffling. Simply baffling.

Seventy70

I have a feeling this will never be completely fixed. The Halo 5 beta is approaching and they want to focus their attention on that, so the MCC problems will probably be swept under the rug and forgotten about.
It still boggles my mind how they thought it would be fine to release this.
"We made a collection of all the old Halo games in HD, but it's still quite buggy."
"Oh well. Release it anyway. It'll be fine."

I have a feeling this will never be completely fixed. The Halo 5 beta is approaching and they want to focus their attention on that, so the MCC problems will probably be swept under the rug and forgotten about.

Then I won't be picking up a Xbone for years if thats the case. This game is the system seller to me when I have money so I'll be patient and wait it out.

Grisby

Freezing has become quite common for me. Upon a game completion it just hangs at the loading screen.

It actually did it again just as I'm typing this.

Brokun

It still boggles my mind how they thought it would be fine to release this.
"We made a collection of all the old Halo games in HD, but it's still quite buggy."
"Oh well. Release it anyway. It'll be fine."

This isn't true. There are outsourced companies working on bug fixes daily and on weekends so even if 343 moves on to Halo 5 the MCC will not be abandoned.

Kssio_Aug

Yesterday I called a friend to play co-op, he tried to host but his connection wasnt enough good, then we undo the party and I called him... He could not enjoy. Tried again, then he shows up as the party leader, and since he would be the hoster again, I leave the party and quit the game. Call him again... He could not enjoy again. Then I saw that when I click "A" on his name there was a option to kick him, I did it, then he shows up joining my party. Lol

Thats really broken aswell!

Still no info about today's patch??

This game should've been delayed until February/March. With the beta being attached to Sunset Overdrive.

I've been following this debacle with great interest because I still fully intend to by the game, but gotdamn am I disappointed with the state of this collection.

I know that MS wanted to make the 10th anniversary of Halo 2 special, but this is a terrible way to have the celebration go down.

Going to put my $60 for this collection in an envelope and hope that by the 20th of December, they've got most if not ALL of these issues, SP and MP, combed out.

Some hard lessons have to be learned here.

kevin1025

Banned
The few matches I got into today felt like the player searches were so desperate, that when a few showed up finally it immediately said "okay time for a game!" Never waited for any extra, just dumped us into a 6-player match. So while it may work (sometimes...okay, very rarely), it isn't waiting for a proper player count whatsoever, it's just a panicked throw into anything at all. I've also experienced the random team unbalancing, one game was six players, and the balancing went so askew I was fighting five dudes by myself. Fun times!

It's really sad that this is the first X1 game that has froze for me this much.

I mean, it's the biggest first party title for them this year.

What if they had planned on having Halo 5 ready for 2014 but then when it looked like that wasn't happening they scrambled to create this collection and that's why it seems so rushed?

It's possible they only wanted to release H2A leading up to the release of Halo 5 but had to create this package as a worthy flagship first party title offering.

Top Bottom