• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343i Matchmaking / Launch Issues Update

link1201

Has it gotten any better? I'm at work today but would like to play some tonight. I don't want to set myself up for disappointment.

Welcome to games as a service instead of finished, complete products. I miss the old days, like Halo 3 launch (my first online Halo). Worked flawlessly. As a consumer, I expect better, but at the end of the day, they got my money. I hate the patch culture, but in an era of extreme crunch and internet access, the pressure to make a perfectly running game has lessened. Get it out, fix it later. Make the consumer beta test and wait for a complete product after purchase. Contrast that to a few generations ago, where Nintendo ate the cost of the Expansion Pak because Rare couldn't get DK64 working without it.

I was playing local co-op on CE yesterday though and had achievement issues and one audio glitch, but other than that it was peachy. So I'm not too mad about it, it could be worse like as other people in this thread.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I would have thought that a collection of ports would not be too difficult to get running right. They didn't have to make a new engine right? They just built upon the old games right. I do not remember any of the old games individually having matchmaking issues so that's what really surprises me. All these network problems on ports of games. I hope they try a little harder with halo 5

RdN

I really am enjoying and chuckling at these rosy nostalgia goggles people have with some of the previous Halos and their online working right out of the gate. I seem to remember the absolute SHIT storm that happened in the gaming culture due to Halo 2 online not being completely ironed out for the first week or two, so much, I remember seeing something in the "real" news about it, a time in history that gaming press was only about how it is violent and fucking up your kidz. :)

The main problem with Halo 2 launch is that it was a massive paradigm shift for online games.

Bungie introduced for the first time the concept of Matchmaking, and people were confused at first, crying for they obsolete server browser and stuff like that.

Then people began to realise how amazing of a system Bungie had built, and the system itself started recording trueskill and connection information, it was a very smooth sail and matchmaking became the norm for online multi-player.

Socat

Battlefield 4 and Driveclub have been bested. Terrible launch. How the game was allowed to ship in this state is beyond unconscionable

Holy shit, is this a real post? wow.......... there are no words that could even begin to comprehend the sheer insanity of the hyperbole you are throwing around there.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
The main problem with Halo 2 launch is that it was a massive paradigm shift for online games.

Bungie introduced for the first time the concept of Matchmaking, and people were confused at first, crying for they obsolete server browser and stuff like that.

Then people began to realise how amazing of a system Bungie had built, and the system itself started recording trueskill and connection information, it was a very smooth sail and matchmaking became the norm for online multi-player.

Yep, there were a lot of gamers upset because it was *different,* not that it was broken.

I can clearly recall four of my friends and I playing all night on release. The occasional blue screen as we get a new host, and yes there was some lag here and there. It wasn't perfect. But it was at least playable and enjoyable the entire first week post-launch.

tkalamba

Welcome to games as a service instead of finished, complete products. I miss the old days, like Halo 3 launch (my first online Halo). Worked flawlessly. As a consumer, I expect better, but at the end of the day, they got my money. I hate the patch culture, but in an era of extreme crunch and internet access, the pressure to make a perfectly running game has lessened. Get it out, fix it later. Make the consumer beta test and wait for a complete product after purchase. Contrast that to a few generations ago, where Nintendo ate the cost of the Expansion Pak because Rare couldn't get DK64 working without it.

I was playing local co-op on CE yesterday though and had achievement issues and one audio glitch, but other than that it was peachy. So I'm not too mad about it, it could be worse like as other people in this thread.

Halo 3 worked flawlessly at launch? I recall it bringing Live and Xbox.com down atleast for a short period.

There are even articles about the shortage so I wouldnt say it was flawless.
http://techcrunch.com/2007/09/26/halo-3-causes-xbox-live-to-crap-out/

Halo 3 worked flawlessly at launch? I recall it bringing Live and Xbox.com down atleast for a short period.

There are even articles about the shortage so I wouldnt say it was flawless.
http://techcrunch.com/2007/09/26/halo-3-causes-xbox-live-to-crap-out/

Fair enough, seems like time has clouded the truth. For me it worked great, with just a bit of lag, but that article reminded me it wasn't perfect for everyone. Will need to get on this online tonight to truly see for myself how bad it is.

Imagine if it worked as intended on launch. Even that isn't respect worthy. That's the bare minimum.

Nowadays that is not the bare minimum at all. I don't like the way things are progressing but this situation is hardly indicative of an outlier.

I for one am happy they are addressing as much as they can as quickly as they can. It's a crappy situation that has let down the fans, but they could have just delayed matchmaking until further notice...instead we get a legitimate patch by the weekend and hotfixes until then. What more could they really do?

BokehKing

Banned
Holy shit, is this a real post? wow.......... there are no words that could even begin to comprehend the sheer insanity of the hyperbole you are throwing around there.
I was able to play games at launch on bf4, so in essence, that is better than not getting in at all

sam777

Battlefield 4 and Driveclub have been bested. Terrible launch. How the game was allowed to ship in this state is beyond unconscionable

Sober up before you post.
Driveclub you couldn't get online for weeks.
Battlefield 4 even though you could get online frequent disconnects happened as well as losing campaign saves randomly

I really am enjoying and chuckling at these rosy nostalgia goggles people have with some of the previous Halos and their online working right out of the gate. I seem to remember the absolute SHIT storm that happened in the gaming culture due to Halo 2 online not being completely ironed out for the first week or two, so much, I remember seeing something in the "real" news about it, a time in history that gaming press was only about how it is violent and fucking up your kidz. :)

True, but Halo 3 was flawless. Played that all night :(

If anything, this has me yearning for the days of live on the 360. Matchmaking and achievements were almost always flawless. PSN got a bad rap in PS3's early days for a service that was not even close to as inhibited as both consoles have been this generation regarding online functionality. Online interaction was supposed to get better

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Worth also notice the main issue right now is server side

So..the problems in the single player like the framerate, crashes, game not saving etc are not a main issue? Good to know!

I could not play one MP match since yesterday and when I tried the SP I faced problems again..this is so not fun..

Fair enough, seems like time has clouded the truth. For me it worked great, with just a bit of lag, but that article reminded me it wasn't perfect for everyone. Will need to get on this online tonight to truly see for myself how bad it is.

and for me, and other players, HALO MCC works great. :)

Caja 117

I played a game in Zanzibar and there were no framedrops.

His post is not implying Framedrops, is implying that the usual framerate is around those numbers. And unless you are new to Halo, I dont think any player will think that Halo is not fun because its not runing at 60 fps.

is Really weird about the problems some people are having on the SP side, so far I havent had any problema at all Playing the Halo 2 campaing, is it possible is something that had to do on the side on the people with these problem? like corrupt Installation?

because you are the only one who bought it.

on a second note, how is the game online ? is it fun and does it have a replay value online ? or just some missions once you are done that's it ?

It's very fun online, there's quite a bit of variety to the mission types. Unlocks suck though. Insomniac needs to do something about how you unlock new stuff.

It really depends on if you like Halo's MP. If matchmaking (playlists/map settings/gametype settings) is done right, it will have tons of replayability for me.

I think he meant Sunset.

might have bought a digital release.

MS give refunds on digital games. Anyone who bought this digitally and isn't happy should demand a refund. don't wait around for them to fix it, show them you aren't happy and demand refunds.

It's only way to send a message that releasing a game that doesn't work properly will no longer be acceptable.

Battlefield 4 still doesn't support 64-player matches properly without rubberbanding, and most of the DLC maps heavily damage the performance.

Driveclub still isn't in a remotely stable state like more than a month later, and the PS+ version that was advertised before the launch of the PS4 is still MIA.

MCC still has really solid single-player to dive into.

_woLf

The sheer amount of irrational posters in this thread is astounding.

Some of y'all need to take a deep breath. Launch was YESTERDAY and they are already putting fixes in. To say that this launch was worse than drive club or BF4 is absolutely ridiculous.

Oh, and both Halo 2 and Halo 3 had rough online launches. For people saying "well it worked for me so that means it was fine," stop being hypocritical and understand that people ARE getting into MCC games. I played like 8 or 9 online games last night and most worked without any problems. Does that mean its flawless? Of course not, but it's not really any different than Halo 2 or Halo 3 launches.

People just expect more because this is a collection of games that are already released, but they don't seem to realize how different the networking features are. I bet most if not all of the netcodes had to be either heavily edited or completely rewritten.

Be patient. This is a game that I feel MS will put a lot of resources into getting working flawlessly. With so many other games out or arriving soon I don't mind much. :/

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I got matched with other people in the H2 Classic after about a minute of searching. But then it took five minutes for the voting screen to load and then the map never loaded. Coooooool

ethomaz

Banned
My fears about the future "online"...

Battlefield 4
DriveClub
MCC

Seems like the online was better last gen on both players.

Even Destiny, my personal GOTY, have a high rate of drop connections that just blow my mind.

VinFTW

Battlefield 4
DriveClub
MCC

Comparing MCC to DriveClub and BF4 is an inside joke in this thread right?

...right?

There's no way rational people actually think MCC is like the others.

It's been a fucking day guys.

Some of y'all need to take a deep breath. Launch was YESTERDAY and they are already putting fixes in. To say that this launch was worse than drive club or BF4 is absolutely ridiculous.

Oh, and both Halo 2 and Halo 3 had rough online launches. For people saying "well it worked for me so that means it was fine," stop being hypocritical and understand that people ARE getting into MCC games. I played like 8 or 9 online games last night and most worked without any problems. Does that mean its flawless? Of course not, but it's not really any different than Halo 2 or Halo 3 launches.

People just expect more because this is a collection of games that are already released, but they don't seem to realize how different the networking features are. I bet most if not all of the netcodes had to be either heavily edited or completely rewritten.

Be patient. This is a game that I feel MS will or a lot of resources into getting working flawlessly. With so many other games out or arriving soon I don't mind much. :/

This poster gets it.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Every where I read, people only mention BF4, Sim City, Driveclub as worst launches ever. Butits crazy that no one seems to remember GTAV online. Not only they delivered a week after, but nothing worked for few days at least.

And thats Rockstar we are talking about.

Battlefield 4
DriveClub
MCC

Even Destiny, my personal GOTY, have a high rate of drop connections that just blow my mind.

Would make sense if over 3 weeks matchmaking is still a clusterfuck.

Smokey

Be patient. This is a game that I feel MS will put a lot of resources into getting working flawlessly. With so many other games out or arriving soon I don't mind much. :/

Best post of the thread.

ZnqQ5.gif

Impossiburu

Neo Member

I distinctly remember Halo 2's online working from day one. Like, no downtime at all.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Battlefield 4 still doesn't support 64-player matches properly without rubberbanding, and most of the DLC maps heavily damage the performance.

Driveclub still isn't in a remotely stable state like more than a month later, and the PS+ version that was advertised before the launch of the PS4 is still MIA.

MCC still has really solid single-player to dive into.

Like Driveclub and BF4 (barring the saved files drama on PS4). While the comparison by Collinwood is not correct (due to different issues) I find the downplaying disturbing - not necessarily you - but throughout the thread.

cool_dude

Banned

My sentiments exactly. Been playing both campaign and multiplayer regularly. So much fun!

GnawtyDog

Banned
Every where I read, people only mention BF4, Sim City, Driveclub as worst launches ever. Butits crazy that no one seems to remember GTAV online. Not only they delivered a week after, but nothing worked for few days at least.

And thats Rockstar we are talking about.

That was disgusting too.

BadRamen

My point is I find it humorous that there is some sort of expectation of 100% perfection and every time, regardless of situation, there is some mentality of "Oh it is year 20XX, that means technology should just like... work, ya know? Cause I can point out easily what is wrong so it totally must be as easy to fix. And quick too!"

And to counter your point, this launch, if I were to hazard an admittedly by the gut guess, has a substantial more people looking to play now compared to 2004, especially that Xbox Live is as big and well-populated as it is nowadays. You essentially said it yourself, Halo 2 made Xbox Live.

Teletraan1

Banned
Do not buy games on day one. I know a lot of people's balls/uterus were going to explode if they didn't get this collection of games they already played day one but it looks like it is exceedingly risky to buy games in this day and age on day one. If less gamers feel confident with buying right away due to issues publishers might rethink if they are going to shit out a broken game in the future. Always best to delay it rather than what has happened with DC, MCC and Unity.

dwells

is this just for multi or can I list some campaign bugs as well?

Everything's categorized with a separate category for each game, its anniversary or classic mode, and its campaign or multiplayer. Take a look at a few of the existing entries to get a feel for the format.

JaggedSac

Completely false. Game has crashed three times in three levels on single player. Has not saved progress. And glitched out when trying to open terminals.

Edit: until this product I persobally have never seen a halo game crash.

I've played single player for 3 hours or so in both Halo CE and Halo 2 and have yet to experience a crash. So yes, some people. I have gotten into matchmaking solo but couldn't when partied up. So we played some customs which worked flawlessly. Zanzibar H2A remake runs like ass though.

Top Bottom