• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS' 2011 fall lineup (dates pics and videos)

NEO0MJ

BDGAME said:
- Bit.Trip Saga
- Star Fox 64 3D
- Kid Icarus: Uprising
- Nano Assault
- Super Mario 3D Land
- Tales of the Abyss
- Mario Kart 7

My definitive buys for the year. Depending on reviews I might be interested in others such as Shinobi and Sonic.

Nirolak said:
This disappoints me too.

Those kinds of games combined with the types of games we don't get on consoles anymore (Advance Wars, Metroidvania, a lot of the more unique JRPGs) were the reason I really loved the DS, and there seems to be very little of that announced so far.

I don't mind console type games on handhelds, and even enjoy quite a few, but I don't want them to be the only thing on the system, especially when several notable ones aren't well suited to the controls available.
That is most probably because publishers aren't really sure about how good the system will do, so they are currently only offering games that they know are safe bets (which maybe encouraged by Nintendo as well to push the system)

fake edit: after listing the games, I believe this is not a thing to worry about at all!

however, despite this, at least in Japan, we already got a new IP from Capcom (that sound game which didn't sell), we got Still Diver from Nintendo which didn't sell and was panned, we are getting Kid Icarus which already is being panned because of the control, we are getting a new rhythm IP from Sega, there is this Mii rpg that has already been forgotten; a Theatrhythm, etc

there are usual doze of console games revived as well, Harvest Moon and Rune Factory both getting an installment on the system, frogger coming back, Shinobi is also, RE:R going back to RE roots after almost a decade., Luigi is revived, etc.

There are also new IPs that we don't know much about: fantasy life, time travelers, beyond the labyrinth, heroes of ruin, Rodea.

Streetpass and Spotpass are practically useless at the moment (because of the low penetration of the hardware) and so it is not worthy for publishers to focus on them in their games (although launch titles, such as SSF4 did, most probably because they thought 3DS will sell like pancake)

Oli

I haven't been keeping up with Starfox 64, is there any new content other than the new multiplayer stuff?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Oli said:
I haven't been keeping up with Starfox 64, is there any new content other than the new multiplayer stuff?

If medals count as content, there are now bronze/silver/gold medals achievable on each stage, instead of just the one generic medal from the original. And the gold point requirements are higher than the reqs from the original.

firelink said:
What DOES interest you people?

A lineup that rivals and seeks to exceed previous Nintendo handhelds would be nice.

I'd love to see some original titles that give me the same sense of excitement of those great franchises that started on the DS.

I'd love to see some of the magnificent indie titles on Steam remade for the 3DS for portable play - such a shame Nintendo doesn't see fit to open discussions on this.

I'd love to see some more exposure for Nintendo's less saturated franchises: Pikmin, Donkey Kong Country, Eternal Darkness, Mother, Sin and Punishment and others.

I'd love to see gaps in the DS library plugged - a 2D Metroid, a 2D Zelda, a Smash Bros that's more than a vague assurance that "its coming..",

I'd love to see a virtual console service that's not treated like some sacred dripping tap with all the releases coming slowly over time. There should have been a library from day one to choose from.

I'd love to see some exciting new IP by Retro Studios.

I'd love to see indie developers being encouraged and supported to release their upcoming titles on the 3DS. Minecraft with the touch screen interface could be amazing.

And while we are here, I don't object to more ports if they support an impressive library of original software. 3DS remakes of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Zelda: Majora's Mask, F-Zero GX, Rogue Squadron and Wind Waker DX would be nice lineup. A remake of Metroid 2 may very well sell the system single-handedly.

I know that all might read like a pipe dream, but compared to what they could be doing, the 3DS lineup is poor. Its not just when you compare the release list to my above ideas, if you juxtapose the 3DS listings with Nintendo's previous handhelds it just does not compare favourably.

Nintendo need to convince me to buy a 3DS, and as a Nintendo fan this shouldn't be too difficult. I've owned every Nintendo system. However, their lack of boldness and effort with 3DS titles and the disappointing hardware means that at present, they're failing.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Tathanen said:
If medals count as content, there are now bronze/silver/gold medals achievable on each stage, instead of just the one generic medal from the original. And the gold point requirements are higher than the reqs from the original.

So a lazy Nintendo port like always.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
A Human Becoming said:
So a lazy Nintendo port like always.
I can't believe they didn't add online. So lazy...

EDIT: But the graphical upgrade is nice. Still, for $40 it would have been nice to see some new content.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Lot of good shit coming out. Really excited for Kid Icarus and as a day one Shinobi fan, I think I'm going to get the 3DS game.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
ShinUltramanJ said:
Lot of good shit coming out. Really excited for Kid Icarus and as a day one Shinobi fan, I think I'm going to get the 3DS game.
There are many signs that Kid Icarus might not make it out this year. The November thing in this thread is completely wrong.

qq more

Fantastical said:
There are many signs that Kid Icarus might not make it out this year. The November thing in this thread is completely wrong.
Really? Damn, what happened? I haven't been following the game closely but I was really interested in it.

Clunker

The only absolute must for me is Mario Kart VII: Advent Koopa. Beyond that I'll probably grab Bit.Trip Saga since I really liked the first two on Wii but kind of stopped paying attention to WiiWare stuff. And I'll likely end up with Super Mario 3D Land but I think I'm going to wait a week or two to hear real impressions and see some more vids.

I'm really hoping TGS and the mystery September conference gives me some more third-party games to look forward to (beyond vague promises and series logo announcements; I will buy a new Etrian Odyssey right away, but give me some details!).

if I decide to buy a 3DS rather than DS (which solely depends on how good DS games look on it), I will get the following till the years end:

- OoT: never played it.
- DoA or SSF: Never played a DoA and last time played SF wasn't in this decade, or the last one
- Steel Diver: Will sell it after finishing the game
- Bit. Trip: without 3D, it was trippy. I really want to see what will happen to my mind after playing on 3D for more than an hour.
- FIFA 11 DS: yes, 11. it is a fabulous game, it has online as well; and I always wished DS had an analog solely for this game
- SM 64: didn't get it for DS cause the lack of analog
- Ridge Racer or NFS: if NFS comes with online and is good, I'll get it; otherwise it is RR

on eShop:
- Picross: I always wondered why it wasn't released on DSiWare?
- Tetris (DSiWare one, never got it)

there are lots of games on DS that I have to catch up as well, but no one cares if I list them.

if 3DS had a DD like PSV, I would get the following games on it as well:
- Tetris
- Pinball Hall of Fame

kunonabi

- James Noir's Hollywood Crimes
- Frogger 3D
- Senran Kagura
- Star Fox 64 3D
- Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights
- Gabrielle's Ghostly Groove 3D
- Tetris 3DS
- Kid Icarus: Uprising
- Shinobi
- Super Mario 3D Land
- Mario Kart 7

- Ace Combat 3D
- Beyond the Labyrinth
- Rodea the Sky Soldier

2012 and beyond

- Etrian Odyssey
- Fantasy Life
- Luigi's Mansion 2
- Paper Mario
- Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney
- Resident Evil: Revelations
- Rhythm Phantom Thief R: Inheritance of the Emperor Napoleon
- Shin Megami Tensei: Persona
- Time Travelers
- Z.O.E 3 D S

I could be potentially interested in all these depending on if they actually get released and localized.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Wow. After looking at that list, the 3DS doesn't look nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. I'd go so far to say that it has the best line-up of any system for the rest of the year. They've got all the bases covered. That is impressive to say the least.

On another note. Handheld gaming seems to be the last place for pure gaming. I love console and PC games, but it's nice to have a system that doesn't require an internet connection and constant updates, patches and micro transactions. People have harped on Nintendo for their online stance, but this gen has taken it way too far. I'm almost at the point where I don't want online in my system at all. This could probably serve as another topic altogether, but the online capabilities of 3DS and the stance taken by Nintendo might just be a blessing in disguise.

Zoibie

I really haven't been keeping up with these games as much as I should have, thanks for the thread! Has Beyond the Labyrinth been confirmed for release outside of Japan?

BurntPork

Banned
not-bad.jpg

3DS could really build some momentum this holiday.

Aru

3 games I plan to buy in the same month... Great.

I wish One Piece would be released in september :(

Thoraxes

Wow, November is going to clean me out. Holy shit.
I do want ToA and Super Mario 3D Land ASAP, but will probably hold on Kid Icarus till I recuperate my funds or for a sale.

Oh and then Mario Kart too in December.

Plan on getting Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart and Tales of the Abyss (Provided it actually releases in the US this year...)

Busaiku said:
BlazBlue Contiuum Shift II came out several months ago.
Hasn't been released in EU yet.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Leona Lewis said:
I didn't even know about Harvest Moon. Game looks gooood.

Also, western publishers
lol.gif

Rolling Coaster Tycoon makes me forgive them.
For now.

I generally try to limit myself to one game a month for any given system, but SM3DL, Sonic Generations (depending on what my console situation is at that point I may get the handheld edition), Kid Icarus (?), and Tales of the Abyss are making that really difficult.

And Mario Kart 7 obviously.

Between all this and Skyward Sword, I'll be a happy gamer come Fall.

Alrus

I didn't even notice One Piece was November... WTF Namco, there's barely anything of interest in September/October and you chose the most crowded month to release both of your 3DS games?

Ragus

Banned
Shit, that list looks to good to me. To many potential games to buy till the end of the year.

- Star Fox 64 3D (9 PAL / 9 USA)
- James Noir's Hollywood Crimes (28 PAL)
- Cave Story 3D (8 EUA/ 4 PAL)
- Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights (PAL)
- Kid Icarus: Uprising (USA)
- Nano Assault (22 EUA)
- Rayman Origins (18 PAL / 15 USA)
- Sonic Generations (4 PAL / 1 USA)
- Super Mario 3D Land
- Mario Kart 7
- Ace Combat 3D

My wallet is going to weep silently.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Fantastical said:

That's fine by me, I have more than enough stuff to buy. I'm just more excited for it than any other 3DS title.

IllumiNate

2 games for the rest of the year, and they both star a plumber. Some of those games look really bad like DS graphics bad, a lot of those games look worse then PS1 games

Boney

Banned
Alrus said:
I didn't even notice One Piece was November... WTF Namco, there's barely anything of interest in September/October and you chose the most crowded month to release both of your 3DS games?
It's Namco

Top Bottom