• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS' 2011 fall lineup (dates pics and videos)

Oppo

I think this lineup looks.... alright. Not great.

The real stars are the re-makes, which is disappointing, but expected.

I agree with the poster who expressed the sentiment about Nintendo not reaching out to some of the innovative indie devs. That could have given them such a shot in the arm.

Imagine the following on 3DS:

• Minecraft
• World of Goo
• Anomaly: War Zone Earth
• Machinarium
• Journey
• Osmos
• Galcon Fusion
• LIMBO
• Shadow Complex
• PixelJunk Anything

I think of of the things Nintendo really needs to figure out is how to reach out better to these "garage devs" that they have been so dismissive of in the past.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I think the lineup looks great, but I do lament the lack of region free gaming to experience some of the awesome 3DS games that will never make it to the states.

PortTwo said:

I agree with the poster who expressed the sentiment about Nintendo not reaching out to some of the innovative indie devs. That could have given them such a shot in the arm.

• Minecraft
• World of Goo
• Machinarium
• Journey
• Osmos
• Galcon Fusion
• LIMBO
• Shadow Complex
• PixelJunk Anything

I think of of the things Nintendo really needs to figure out is how to reach out better to these "garage devs" that they have been so dismissive of in the past.
They are not garage devs (0_0) World of Goo started on Wiiware really...
And it wouldn't make much difference beside Minecraft, which I believe is currently money hatted by Microsoft (They are mostly small games like Cave Story is)

This isn't even going to be the full line-up at least wait till TGS.
Actually we probably need to wait only for Nintendo Conference (where we will get that extremely major announcement too)

Fantastical

Death Prophet
PortTwo said:

• Minecraft
• World of Goo
• Machinarium
• Journey
• Osmos
• Galcon Fusion
• LIMBO
• Shadow Complex
• PixelJunk Anything

Garage devs = indie but indie devs =/= garage devs. Just because a company is "indie" doesn't mean that they are garage developers.

You misinterpreted Reggie's response, as many did. Nintendo is not interested in the Xbox Live Indie-specific stuff. Most of that is truly garage developers.

IllumiNate

1.jpg

ss-001.jpg

frogger3d_01.jpg

Nintendo-3DS-Skylanders-Spyros-Adventure-Screenshots-4.jpg

slime-mori-mori-dragon-quest-3-the-great-pirate-ship-and-tails-troupe-nintendo-3ds-1309361460-028.jpg

I never said they all look bad, but look at these screens, I'm not trolling by any means, I purchased the system day 1. Those screens look like junk, Wii like graphics they say? not even close.
metal-gear-solid-1.jpg

60222-1-large.jpg

ff82.jpg

53571-7-2.jpg

You fanboys need to take off your rose colored glasses, add AA to the PS1 screens and you match or beat the screens above

Truth101

Banned
CottonBaller said:
1.jpg

ss-001.jpg

frogger3d_01.jpg

Nintendo-3DS-Skylanders-Spyros-Adventure-Screenshots-4.jpg

slime-mori-mori-dragon-quest-3-the-great-pirate-ship-and-tails-troupe-nintendo-3ds-1309361460-028.jpg

I never said they all look bad, but look at these screens, I'm not trolling by any means, I purchased the system day 1. Those screens look like junk, Wii like graphics they say? not even close.
metal-gear-solid-1.jpg

60222-1-large.jpg

ff82.jpg

53571-7-2.jpg

You fanboys need to take off your rose colored glasses, add AA to the PS1 screens and you match or beat the screens above

Haha, bit-trip is a wii-game.

Way to pick mostly DS Up-Ports too.

Damn juniors.

Seems like a pretty lacklustre lineup - of course Nintendo (and its defenders) are going to hype it up as good. They would, it's their console and they want it to sell. But for me, this is how I feel:

Bit.Trip Saga - looks poor on the 3DS judging by that screen. I can't see what 3D would add to it. I'd rather play it on PC.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II - could be good, but would rather play fighters on a console, if at all.

Star Fox 64 3D - will be great no doubt, worried it might be shallow though.

Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights - poor man's Layton

Tetris 3DS - played it a million times, 3D won't add anything

Kid Icarus: Uprising - been delayed till 2012 in Europe. Will hopefully be good when it eventually comes. The control scheme is off-putting but it at least has more substance than Star Fox and excellent visuals.

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D - downgraded port, delayed to next year, and made even more pointless by the HD Collection and a potential Vita version.

Nano Assault - looks great, but ultimately something I would envision as a small distraction to be found on the eShop, like the countless twin stick shooters on PSN/XBLA/Steam.

Rayman Origins - would rather enjoy the art in HD

Sonic Generations - Sonic is hit or miss, but Generations looks like it could be a return to form at long last. The 3DS version is on my radar because it has unique levels.

Super Mario 3D Land - it's Mario, of course i'm going to get it

Tales of the Abyss - not a Tales fan and it's just a port anyway

Mario Kart 7 - the other major hitter this holiday, will buy. 60fps in 3D nom.

Ace Combat 3D - framerate looked abysmal at E3. Not much hope for it really and would rather play Assault Horizon.

Beyond the Labyrinth - downgraded and likely Japan only in 2011

Rodea the Sky Soldier - the unveil looked good, haven't heard anything else about it though and it seems pretty similar to Kid Icarus (rail-style shooter). Doubt it will come this year.

..everything else on the OP list looked shitty.

So that leaves me wanting just Star Fox 64 3D, Nano Assault, Sonic Generations, Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. Not exactly the major comeback I envisioned. The biggest problem the 3DS seemingly faces is other consoles (either having already played the ported games on a previous console, or would rather play the promising future games on a console in HD or on Vita).

syoaran

Its ok, going to pick up Tales + Mario(s) + Starfox for sure. The lack of region unlock leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. Thankfully, the amount of AAA rated DS games that got released this year is still going to destroy my wallet before the end of the year.

Truth101

Banned
Chris1964 said:
Most games coming out this year will be revealed before TGS.

There are always a couple of games that don't get revealed till TGS and are still released before Holiday season. I'm not saying there will be tons, but we should see a few.

PortTwo said:

• Minecraft
• World of Goo
• Machinarium
• Journey
• Osmos
• Galcon Fusion
• LIMBO
• Shadow Complex
• PixelJunk Anything

I like the assertion that Nintendo should have Microsoft and Sony published games on the eShop.

Not to mention the fact that, aside from Pixeljunk being Sony published, you listed it as having developers Nintendo should reach out to, kind of ignoring the fact they developed one of the Nintendo-published retail titles in the OP!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Truth101 said:
There are always a couple of games that don't get revealed till TGS and are still released before Holiday season. I'm not saying there will be tons, but we should see a few.
September 13.

Definite buys for me are :

- Bit.Trip Saga
- FIFA 12
- Star Fox 64 3D
- Cave Story 3D
- Kid Icarus: Uprising
- Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
- Sonic Generations
- Super Mario 3D Land
- Mario Kart 7
- F1 2011

Who said the 3DS was dead? Thats pretty damn good for a handheld in its first year. Shame a few of them wont release in Europe this side of New Year though...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
CottonBaller said:
You juniors need to be less predictable. Add some subtlety and forethought to your posts and you could pass for a standard-issue B-grade gaf troll.

sfried

I notice how whenever its a thread about the 3DS lineup, Vita is ALWAYS mentioned, and in a superior way.
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Seems like a pretty lacklustre lineup - of course Nintendo (and its defenders) are going to hype it up as good. They would, it's their console and they want it to sell.
I'm not trying to hype up any of these titles any more than they should. And I also hate to think that some of them have been "downgraded" (Beyond the Labyrinth? Didn't we have a thread showing how it would look like with the pictures scaled down?), and how you would write off Lautrec as a poor-man's Layton having not played it yet. That said, I'd probably get Bit.Trip.Complete for Wii instead of Saga for 3DS due to soundtrack included.

Full priced:
Super Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7

Sale prices:
Nano Assault
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Tales of the Abyss
Star Fox 3D

And that's all I require. I don't play video games enough for a paltry lineup to truly bother me.

So, I'll still pick up a red 3DS during the holidays.

I would agree with the sentiment that visually Metal Gear Solid 3D looks less appealing than MGS1.

sfried said:
I notice how whenever its a thread about the 3DS lineup, Vita is ALWAYS mentioned, and in a superior way.
I'm not trying to hype up any of these titles any more than they should. And I also hate to think that some of them have been "downgraded" (Beyond the Labyrinth? Didn't we have a thread showing how it would look like with the pictures scaled down?), and how you would write off Lautrec as a poor-man's Layton having not played it yet. That said, I'd probably get Bit.Trip.Complete for Wii instead of Saga for 3DS due to soundtrack included.

Seems pretty downgraded to me.

Maybe me not wanting it any more will teach Tri-Ace to not attempt to sell their next game using bullshots.

I have a feeling you haven't heard the news, Nintendo will be holding a 3DS themed conference September 13th, which will have an 'extremely major' announcement as well.

---
And screenshot wars, yummmy...

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I would agree with the sentiment that visually Metal Gear Solid 3D looks less appealing than MGS1.

Seems pretty downgraded to me.

Maybe me not wanting it any more will teach Tri-Ace to not attempt to sell their next game using bullshots.

just be happy it was only bullshots, MGS 3DS makes me puke (it's not that bad, I once mistook it for PS2, but just that it can be mistaken for PS2 compared to Naked Snake sample is really disappointing; and MGS1? just no!)

Z0ZJY.jpg

37OBm.jpg

mYP3F.jpg

fixQl.jpg

csHKd.jpg

SIWfq.jpg

xAGRt.jpg

dJ1Ou.jpg

rpmurphy

CottonBaller said:
I disagree. All of the screenshots in your post look far better than Bubsy 3D.

Oppo

walking fiend said:
They are not garage devs (0_0) World of Goo started on Wiiware really...
And it wouldn't make much difference beside Minecraft, which I believe is currently money hatted by Microsoft (They are mostly small games like Cave Story is)
Sorry my choice of words was not great. But the point remains, many of these could have been great 3DS games.

I like the assertion that Nintendo should have Microsoft and Sony published games on the eShop. Not to mention the fact that, aside from Pixeljunk being Sony published, you listed it as having developers Nintendo should reach out to, kind of ignoring the fact they developed one of the Nintendo-published retail titles in the OP!
And I like the assertion that somehow Machinarium, Anomaly and several others are actually Sony/MS games. ;)

I knew about Q Games of course. I don't know what their deal is with Sony for Pixeljunk, nor do I much care. But even removing a few of these examples, I think there is a ton of ground Nintendo could make up in reaching out to indie devs, to get these games that would work great on the 3DS platform. That was the larger point.

Boney

Banned
QuiteWhittle said:
Really, man?
What's funny is that I NEED SCISSORS think's MGS1 looks better.

upJTboogie said:
I'm asking, neither look too good.
The last 2 ones are MGS 3DS, seeing it's snake eater, being it based on Snake Eater environments make sense. The game is ported directly from PS2 code it's not an efficient way to run it. Both textures and framerate taked a dive and MGS3 on PS2 didn't exactly have stellar framerate to begin with.

3DS can do realistic graphics though, unlike the GC (teeheee)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30159674&postcount=187

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21871915&postcount=23

August
- James Noir's Hollywood Crimes

September
- Bit.Trip Saga
- Star Fox 64 3D

October
- Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights
- Tetris 3DS

November
- Cave Story 3D
- Kid Icarus: Uprising
- Rayman Origins
- Super Mario 3D Land

December
- Mario Kart 7

Damn.

Add Lego Harry Potter. It should be out in November.

No way at this point I will be able to afford all the games I want. The lineup isn't as bad as some people are making it out to be.

fernoca

PortTwo said:
I knew about Q Games of course. I don't know what their deal is with Sony for Pixeljunk, nor do I much care. But even removing a few of these examples, I think there is a ton of ground Nintendo could make up in reaching out to indie devs, to get these games that would work great on the 3DS platform. That was the larger point.
Keeping also in mind, Q Games is not that much of an "indie dev". They co-developed Star Fox 64 3D, probably because Dylan worked in the original back then. So Nintendo has their ways to reaching out, not always to make original things.

But if anything, most are just waiting (Vita release, sales, new sales after new price of the 3DS, etc.). Team Meat said that had something for the 3DS, but currently they're busy with another project or something like that; so doubt they'll announce something else so soon. If anything most announcements will come during next year...if any. :p

[Nintex]

For 2011 I might buy:
- Star Fox 64 3D
- Nano Assault

Will buy:
- Super Mario 3D Land
- Mario Kart 7

Maybe a bunch more review copies like Need for Speed and Sonic but I can't be sure of those. Early 2012 looks better to me with Kid Icarus, RollerCoaster Tycoon and Resident Evil: Revelations since I'm buying most other games on console or PC. So far the line-up is just not that exciting give me more Advance Wars, 2(.5)D Mega Man/Metroid/Castlevania and F-Zero.

Can making completely fucking stupid comparisons between the 3DS and any system below the GameCube be bannable now?
It derails the discussion just as much as port begging.

Luigi87

CottonBaller said:

With all the stupid things I've read on GAF, this definitely ranks well up there.

Shiggy

Nintendo works together with Q-Games just like Sony does. The problem just is that Sony promoted Q-Games titles, whereas Nintendo sweeps them under the carpet (most never played/heard of Digidrive, Starship Patrol or Reflect Missile).

Don't know whether their contract with Sony says that PixelJunk cannot be a released on one of their competitors' platforms, but sure it can on PC: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/22/browser-based-pixeljunk-monsters-coming-later-this-year/

AceBandage said:
Can making completely fucking stupid comparisons between the 3DS and any system below the GameCube be bannable now?
It derails the discussion just as much as port begging.

Dreamcast and PS2 comparisons should not be bannable though. It's not our fault that even Nintendo itself is not always producing GCN-like graphics on the platform (e.g. MK7).

Boney said:

The last 2 ones are MGS 3DS, seeing it's snake eater, being it based on Snake Eater environments make sense. The game is ported directly from PS2 code it's not an efficient way to run it. Both textures and framerate taked a dive and MGS3 on PS2 didn't exactly have stellar framerate to begin with.

3DS can do realistic graphics though, unlike the GC (teeheee)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30159674&postcount=187

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21871915&postcount=23
The first set are bullshots and the shots of MGS are from a year ago. It looks good but hasn't been as impressive in recent trailers, I think 3DS games have a much better IQ when they go for a quirky art style.

Boney said:

But it does. It's a far more consistent picture. Nothing sticks out as looking 'bad'.

The textures in MGS3D on the other hand are so compressed that the art is completely lost in translation. The brick walls just look like a grotesque mess of pixels that fail to even resemble the source material. Sure the character model is better, but it's such a small proportion of the image that it's worthless, like a diamond nestled amongst a turd.

Those MGS3D screens also get free anti-aliasing from the downscaling. In reality they are even more jaggy than the ones posted (and you thought it couldn't get any worse). The MGS1 shots are direct grabs from the PSP's PS1 emulator so they are in fact upscaled from 320x240, with as far as I know zero extra AA applied - yet it still manages to keep up with the 3DS image quality wise.

I'm not buying games like Mario Kart 7 until the redesign. I'm hoping for larger buttons and a more comfortable grip for older/larger gamers. Mario Kart on the DS just cramped my hands.

Shiggy said:
Nintendo works together with Q-Games just like Sony does. The problem just is that Sony promoted Q-Games titles, whereas Nintendo sweeps them under the carpet (most never played/heard of Digidrive, Starship Patrol or Reflect Missile).

Don't know whether their contract with Sony says that PixelJunk cannot be a released on one of their competitors' platforms, but sure it can on PC: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/22/browser-based-pixeljunk-monsters-coming-later-this-year/

Dreamcast and PS2 comparisons should not be bannable though. It's not our fault that even Nintendo itself is not always producing GCN-like graphics on the platform (e.g. MK7).

What? MK7 looks better than DD...

Top Bottom