• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS' 2011 fall lineup (dates pics and videos)

Shiggy

AceBandage said:
What? MK7 looks better than DD...

You know that DD wasn't a real looker on the GCN either? Just because both do not set the console's graphic capabilities on fire, we cannot say that they couldn't put much more effort into the graphics. Even the Wii version is kind of lazy when it comes to graphics - having pretty bad textures and few polys (2D fences WTF). The 3DS version has the same problems.

Edit: Watching old DD videos again, I must admit that it looks even better than the 3DS game, especially the characters and the texture quality. To a certain degree the geometry too.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Shiggy said:
You know that DD wasn't a real looker on the GCN either? Just because both do not set the console's graphic capabilities on fire, we cannot say that they couldn't put much more effort into the graphics. Even the Wii version is kind of lazy when it comes to graphics - having pretty bad textures and few polys (2D fences WTF). The 3DS version has the same problems.
If the online is as as good as the Wii version I won't care at all, honestly.

Busaiku

It's looking to be 2012 everywhere.
It's listed as a Holiday (which is considered from November to January), and with Super Mario 3D Land in November and Mario Kart 7 in December in both Japan and the US, I don't see a spot for Kid Icarus Uprising.

[Nintex]

AceBandage said:
What? MK7 looks better than DD...
Nah, DD had a higher level of geometry and the tracks were larger. The backgrounds were more detailed as well and DD wasn't even 'that' impressive for a GameCube game. The 3DS is close to Dreamcast when it comes to pushing polygons and a notch better than the Xbox at shader and texture effects. Overall the graphics of the 3DS are certainly nice for a handheld but the Flipper still beats it in many ways.

Shiggy

Fantastical said:
If the online is as as good as the Wii version I won't care at all, honestly.

Nobody doubts that it will be great fun, so don't reply to my post if you don't have anything meaningful to add. Right now we are just discussing that developers should put more effort into polishing the visuals of their titles - it looks as if only Next Level Games, Shinen and Capcom are even trying.

The Kid Icarus delay for Europe has two reasons: They apparently want to do a full localisation with voice acting in five languages. The second reason is that NoE has not much faith in the title (hardcore game aimed at children + those AR games are hard to market for an unknown franchise).

Boney

Banned
upJTboogie said:
The first set are bullshots and the shots of MGS are from a year ago. It looks good but hasn't been as impressive in recent trailers, I think 3DS games have a much better IQ when they go for a quirky art style.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_eN6hSPJMI ?

And yeah, Snake Eater doesn't look as good now, because it was built with the strengths of the platform in the naked sample. Now it's a not well done port.

Oppo

fernoca said:
Keeping also in mind, Q Games is not that much of an "indie dev". They co-developed Star Fox 64 3D, probably because Dylan worked in the original back then. So Nintendo has their ways to reaching out, not always to make original things.

I might be inclined to agree with you, but Dylan himself has actually self-identified Q Games as an indie studio on Twitter, for whatever that's worth.

[Nintex]

PortTwo said:
I might be inclined to agree with you, but Dylan himself has actually self-identified Q Games as an indie studio on Twitter, for whatever that's worth.
I'm not sure either because he also said this:
Cuthbert lead development of the original SNES game and his company created Star Fox Command for DS. Cuthbert said he "might be up for another Star Fox maybe in another 10 years" and that a Wii version would "be a big project, like 100 people on the staff. It's just not something we really want to do. I'm sure someone will make it. Maybe (Nintendo) will go back to Namco."
So I guess Star Fox is just easy money for him to fund his new projects but Iwata looked forward to his next project(he made this comment in the Iwata Asks) so I think he might stick around for a proper new Star Fox title.

Boney

Banned
upJTboogie said:
I went ahead and found some Revelations footage on YT and it looks great, I was wrong on that comment.
I mean the system isn't a powerhouse by any means, but it packs a decent punch and is capable of some nice 3d environment. Probably most handheld teams don't know how to squeeze it out, or maybe returns aren't worth it who knows.

I don't really mind, because some good 2d art is always better for me.

Jinfash said:
I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm enjoying the 3DS and looking forward to future releases, but there's a clear dearth of what made the DS so special during its first years, at least in retail releases.

The culprit is none other than the 3D screen, as the touchscreen is no longer the star of the show. I can't think of many games where the bulk of the action isn't taking place in the upper screen, while the lower screen isn't relegated to HUD elements and inventory.

At least Kid Icarus is trying, lol.
This is far from the truth. The 3ds launch is much more robust than what the DS had.

It took until June of the following year for Canvas Curse to come out.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights - poor man's Layton
Not really. I mean, no more so than stuff like Machinarium and Telltale's point-and-click adventure games and such are. They both have a focus on solving puzzles, but they also completely differ from each other in areas of gameplay. Just look at this video, particularly at the time-point I linked to about 2 minutes in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xtATGUtGsg&feature=player_detailpage#t=87s

Then again at this point:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xtATGUtGsg&feature=player_detailpage#t=161s

Compared to Layton gameplay, where there isn't stuff like the above segments and where you have no direct control over Layton and Luke at all and just tap objects on the screen to get them to move, inspect things, talk to people, etc:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRy7NyIMK8o&feature=player_detailpage#t=302s

It's hardly that much of a Layton clone than any other puzzle game (stuff like Machinarium, Lume, Tiny Bang Story, etc are more closer to being clones of Layton than Lautrec looks to be, in terms of gameplay), and it's a shame that it seems to be instantly written off for that reason instead of whether or not it actually turns out to be a good game. Of course, the art style of the game could easily lead people to the wrong conclusion, but just watching a single trailer for the game like the one I linked should really be enough to clear that up.

BDGAME

Notorious_Roy said:
EUA? Sorry, but I have no idea what that is.

USA. I fix it.

Cheesemeister said:
You know, you should really use "JPN" instead of that racial epithet.

Ok, fix it.

Nirolak said:
While this thread is appreciated, you might want to check over your list. You have a few canceled titles in there, some unconfirmed things, and you might want to more explicitly mark games that are unconfirmed for Western release..

Please, help me and tel-me what games are these.

heringer said:
ea-nfs1.jpg

This pic is from the iOS version of Need for Speed Shift.

Thanks. I will find other and change it.

rpmurphy said:
Here are others for the list:

Face Kart: Photo Finish (Sept. EU/Oct. NA)
Pet Zombies (Oct. NA/EU)
Mameshiba (Oct. JP)
Marvel Super Hero Squad: Infinity Gauntlet (Oct. NA)
Zoo Resort 3D (Oct. NA/Nov. EU)
Cooking Mama 4 (Nov. NA/EU/JP)
The Hidden (Nov. NA/EU)
Michael Jackson The Experience (2011 NA/EU)
Farming Simulator (Landwirtschafts-Simulator) (2012 and beyond)
LEGO City Stories (2012 and beyond)

There are a lot of lower-key titles that I'm not going to bother listing. :p

Thanks, I will add these too.

TheBaldEmperor said:
Add Lego Harry Potter. It should be out in November.

No way at this point I will be able to afford all the games I want. The lineup isn't as bad as some people are making it out to be.

Ok.

Mario Land and Mario Kart for sure. Maybe Shinobi, but I don't have much hope since it's made by a western developer. Starfox for <$20, if it gets there.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
BDGAME said:
Please, help me and tel-me what games are these.
You should take Kid Icarus off the November list. Not only is it not confirmed for November, I think it will probably be next year until we see it.

waicol

Banned
Looking forward to that spiderman game, as some websites are saying that it looks on par with the hd console versions.

Shiggy said:
Please also change Rayman Origins to 2012.
? Rayman's still on track for November, isn't it? I don't recall hearing anything about a delay and there's no real reason to my knowledge that the 3DS version wouldn't be released alongside the others. The Vita version obviously won't be out until 2012 in the US or PAL, but the 3DS version should make it just fine.

fernoca

Also, another thing I like about the 3DS over the regular DS is the fighting games-genre. The DS' only "traditional" fighting game (or the only good one if anything)was a port of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (Guilty Gear just sucked and they even changed the core gameplay with dual-screened/platforming elements). While the 3DS in 4 months already has: Super Street Fighter IV, Blazblue and Dead or Alive. With Tekken coming soon(and packaged wit ha movie too) along with possibilities of even more fighting games.

Boney

Banned
fernoca said:
Also, another thing I like about the 3DS over the regular DS is the fighting games-genre. The DS' only "traditional" fighting game (or the only good one if anything)was a port of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (Guilty Gear just sucked and they even changed the core gameplay with dual-screened/platforming elements). While the 3DS in 4 months already has: Super Street Fighter IV, Blazblue and Dead or Alive. With Tekken coming soon(and packaged wit ha movie too) along with possibilities of even more fighting games.
I say it all the time, but DS not having an ST port is bollocks.

Takao

Banned
fernoca said:

Sadly, one of the best fighters on DS is stuck in Japan.

fernoca said:
They weren't exactly traditional at all, but the DS did have Jump Super and Ultimate Stars, which were good from what I hear. And in that realm, it's also nice to see that the 3DS also already has games like Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion (which is supposed to be a more Super Smash Bros. type game, and speaking of which, though it isn't anywhere close to being out yet, it's great to see that Nintendo is finally going to bring that series to handhelds with the 3DS entry). It hasn't received much attention, and I haven't played it myself so I can't speak of the quality, but either way seeing stuff like that pop up on the 3DS already will hopefully be a sign of good things to come in the future as well.

Shiggy

ShironRedshift said:
? Rayman's still on track for November, isn't it? I don't recall hearing anything about a delay and there's no real reason to my knowledge that the 3DS version wouldn't be released alongside the others. The Vita version obviously won't be out until 2012 in the US or PAL, but the 3DS version should make it just fine.

Only the console versions are coming in November. The 3DS version is coming in spring 2012.

Shiggy said:
Only the console versions are coming in November. The 3DS version is coming in spring 2012.
Source? I can't find anything saying that. All I'm finding is stuff like the following article, suggesting that the Vita version of course won't make it until 2012 due to not being released in the US/PAL regions until then, but the 3DS version should be released alongside the console versions:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/08/rayman-preview.ars
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/18/music-to-our-ears-rayman-origins-coming-this-november/

After a bit more searching, I'm finding a few things like this that suggest that, but they don't really give any sort of source:
http://www.monstersandcritics.com/t...ter-games-offer-more-than-just-blood-and-gore

Seems it's unclear when exactly the 3DS version is coming out right now to me. Unless Sony is money-hatting Ubisoft to have them hold it back and prevent Nintendo from temporarily having the only handheld version of the game though (and I really doubt they'd bother money-hatting something like Rayman, especially with Vita having its own exclusives in that area like Escape Plan and Gravity Rush), I can't see why the 3DS version wouldn't be released until spring, as it is supposed to just be the same game as the console versions from what I understand. Unless I'm missing something about the handheld versions, there's really no reason the 3DS version shouldn't be able to be released alongside the console versions.

[Nintex] said:
Nah, DD had a higher level of geometry and the tracks were larger. The backgrounds were more detailed as well and DD wasn't even 'that' impressive for a GameCube game. The 3DS is close to Dreamcast when it comes to pushing polygons and a notch better than the Xbox at shader and texture effects. Overall the graphics of the 3DS are certainly nice for a handheld but the Flipper still beats it in many ways.
MK7 is running in 60fps 3D. You should actually compare it to MKDD in 2 player splitscreen if you want to do a pure spec comparison on geometry, textures, etc.

BowieZ

Banned
2012 - RollerCoaster Tycoon 3DS baby!

Also, it'd be handy if you marked off repeated titles so it doesn't mislead someone into thinking there are more games coming out than there really are. Maybe a little asterisk when a game comes out in PAL land but it's already been listed/released elsewhere.

Shiggy

ShironRedshift said:
Seems it's unclear when exactly the 3DS version is coming out right now to me. Unless Sony is money-hatting Ubisoft to have them hold it back and prevent Nintendo from temporarily having the only handheld version of the game though (and I really doubt they'd bother money-hatting something like Rayman, especially with Vita having its own exclusives in that area like Escape Plan and Gravity Rush), I can't see why the 3DS version wouldn't be released until spring, as it is supposed to just be the same game as the console versions from what I understand. Unless I'm missing something about the handheld versions, there's really no reason the 3DS version shouldn't be able to be released alongside the console versions.

It's just not ready. The console versions are done at Ubisoft Montpellier, whereas the other 3 versions are done at other studios (3DS version done by Ubisoft Casablanca). That's why we have yet to see real 3DS screens or even a playable built. Only the console versions are currently announced for November 25th.

MK7 is running in 60fps 3D. You should actually compare it to MKDD in 2 player splitscreen if you want to do a pure spec comparison on geometry, textures, etc.

Doesn't make MK7 look better than MKDD...what's next? To really make a judgement you need to compare MK7 to MKDD on a huge blown up HD screen in four player mode while wearing a mosquito net on your face?

BDGAME

Ok, I will update the topic with these games below. I don't put Face Kart: Photo Finish because it looks like something a un warning father buy to your son instead of Mario Kart or other good games. If someone more recommend this game, I will put it there too. And I need some source before remove Kid Icarus and Rayman Origins.

Pet Zombies (Oct. NA/EU)
Mameshiba (Oct. JP)
Marvel Super Hero Squad: Infinity Gauntlet (Oct. NA)
Zoo Resort 3D (Oct. NA/Nov. EU)
Cooking Mama 4 (Nov. NA/EU/JP)
The Hidden (Nov. NA/EU)
Michael Jackson The Experience (2011 NA/EU)
Farming Simulator (Landwirtschafts-Simulator) (2012 and beyond)
LEGO City Stories (2012 and beyond)
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3DS baby! (2012 and beyond)

Cooking Mama 4
Cooking-Mama-4-1.jpg
Cooking-Mama-4-5.jpg

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHY6uCGKlBg

Farming Simulator
nhbpxge4su5.png
3D-deicing-simulation.jpg

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW_Wz8NM0IU

LEGO Harr Potter Years 5 - 7
lego-harry-potter.jpg

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OibxRhjAmM

Michael Jackson The Experience
michael-jackson-the-experience-3ds-screenshots-1-312.jpg
michael-jackson-the-experience-3ds-screenshots-2-312.jpg

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1I-17Hk6M0

Mameshiba
0711960001308602243.jpg
0926867001308602243.jpg

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oBPv8EvpM0

Marvel Super Hero Squad: Infinity Gauntlet
marvel-super-hero-squad-the-infinity-gauntlet-20110804044349693.jpg
marvel-super-hero-squad-the-infinity-gauntlet-20110804044347724_640w.jpg

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6QJXelnxS4

Pet Zombies
pet-zombies-2.png
pet-zombies-3.png

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRBe8fmWM2k

Zoo Resort 3D
zoo-resort-20110705035846735_640w.jpg
33.jpg

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8CXM-xYVy4

Effect

There are a lot of upcoming games on the 3DS I want to play. I guess the lack of games on the Wii and lack of interesting games for me on the PS3/360 is sort of a blessing.

Though I worry about the length and content of some of these games in relation to their prices. I never really give much care to reviews but I think that is going to change. I'm going to need to know how much content is in some of these games before I purchase them. That and graphics are going to matter. They have be within the range of what we know the system can produce.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Looking like James Noir (reviews pending), Doctor Lautrec (reviews pending), Super Mario 3d Land, and Mario Kart 7 for me. But since I don't own any retail games yet, I hope to pick up Steel Diver, Pilotwings, Ghost Recon, or OOT 3D for $15-20 sometime before Christmas. Maybe that's a pipe dream.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Stumpokapow said:
Looking like James Noir (reviews pending), Doctor Lautrec (reviews pending), Super Mario 3d Land, and Mario Kart 7 for me. But since I don't own any retail games yet, I hope to pick up Steel Diver, Pilotwings, Ghost Recon, or OOT 3D for $15-20 sometime before Christmas. Maybe that's a pipe dream.

Steel Diver, Pilotwings and Ghost Recon are / have been $19.99 off and on (in Toronto). Ocarina, I guess $20 used isn't out of the question. But think of the Club Nintendo points!

Top Bottom