• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Customization Thread | For the Love of Nintendo...

ibuH3ENHkKiwUF.png

Welcome to the 3DS Customization Thread!
Below are links to each specific topic since there are many ways to customize your new handheld.

Badges

A1Xu4uY.png

What is this topic about?
This topic is about the different ways you can customize your system. Since having new threads pop up for every new cover/theme/badge would be annoying, this is the best place to talk about it.

Why can't I get covers on my new XL?
Due to the design of the XL's top cover, it is not as easy to remove as the regular models. There are plenty of protection cases with cool designs that you can use to personalize your system. Think similar to your smart phone. Discussion of these are allowed as well. Since they are third party, the news will not be tracked compared to the official Nintendo covers. Here is a site with decals for your new system: https://www.decalgirl.com/skins/Nintendo-3DS-LL-Skins

What is the price?
This is a tough one considering many are different ranges. Badges can be obtained by downloading "Collection Badge Center" on the eShop for free and winning them much like the old school crane games. First 5 chances are free with each additional 5 chances costing 90 yen. Themes are generally cheap and come with a background, a MP3 that plays in the background, and different icons for folders/games. Covers are the most costly since they are physical items and made of many different material. Many are based around colors or specific themes.

I can't find Collection Badge Center! HELP!
This is because the game has only been released in Japan. No word if a western release will occur. Many speculate gambling laws are preventing the release.

This thread needs more style!
I will admit I suck at photoshop. Please PM me any contributions you want and I will gladly add it in the OT with credits.
Thanks to Alistair Roo and kubus for the lovely banners.

themesnfuxs.png

A Sample of Launch Themes!

LlNGiHU.png

Monster Hunter Generations
Dragonball Fusion (JPN)

bgk9rCo.png

• Super Mario Brothers
  • Monster Hunter
  • The Legend of Zelda (New Majora's Mask Release)
  • Animal Crossing
  • Stripes/Stars/Diagonals/Dots/Colors
  • Pokemon
  • Persona Q
  • Tomodachi Life
  • Gunvolt
  • Sonic
  • Pikmin
  • Kirby
  • Super Smash Brothers
  • Xenoblade
  • Hanafuda (A GAF Favorite)
  • Fire Emblem
  • Splatoon
Theme Website

Meesh

Just so we're clear, I'm no no way attracted to the insanely cute Japanese girl in the commercial, and in no way does she influence my buying all those damned themes.

Woffls

Guess I'll start off with the Majora's Mask theme seeing as I'm getting the Majora 3DS XL tomorrow. I kinda regret not getting the Ambassador Edition instead, but I imagine I'd get bored of changing faceplates after a while anyway.

kunonabi

The Nikki badges also seem to be retired and replaced with Majora's Mask. It blows since I'm still missing two badges from her set.

My 3DS:

The Nikki badges also seem to be retired and replaced with Majora's Mask. It blows since I'm still missing two badges from her set.
Yeah, since they rotate a bit I am not calling it retired yet. If Swapnote does not come up for awhile, then I will call it retired.
The Sweet Desserts collection is pretty neat.
Edit: I like your system as well. :)

ss-hikaru

Where can I import the EU MonHun faceplates?

In Australia you can buy them from EB Games. The black one is so cool, I want it but my N3DS is white and I feel like it won't go together so well ^^;

Currently I have the white/silver Smash Bros face plates with the matching theme and the red smash theme as well. The wooden monhan theme in the OP looks awesome! I hope for some nice BD/B2nd themes (the one on the JP store is uglehhhhh).

kunonabi

Yeah, since they rotate a bit I am not calling it retired yet. If Swapnote does not come up for awhile, then I will call it retired.
The Sweet Desserts collection is pretty neat.
Edit: I like your system as well. :)

Thanks, although I'm going to change it now that Adult Daisy has a badge. Gotta get that Valentine's Nikki as well.
I didn't realize they rotated so hopefully she does show up.

Drago

Great OP!

Got the Ruby/Sapphire and Orange faceplates and have a Wood set on the way from Amazon UK (cheapest place to import after shipping).

Kinda regret getting the RS one though. Really hate that glossy feel it has. Can't wait for the wood one, it should feel lovely in the hands...

Great OP!

Got the Ruby/Sapphire and Orange faceplates and have a Wood set on the way from Amazon UK (cheapest place to import after shipping).

Kinda regret getting the RS one though. Really hate that glossy feel it has. Can't wait for the wood one, it should feel lovely in the hands...
Thanks!
Too late to take back my order (one was RS), but I may like it anyways.

Also feel free to post your console themes/covers for most and badges for those that have a JP 3DS. It may help people decide before buying. Just remember to quote large images for easier browsing.

Drago

Thanks!
Too late to take back my order (one was RS), but I may like it anyways.

Also feel free to post your console themes/covers for most and badges for those that have a JP 3DS. It may help people decide before buying. Just remember to quote large images for easier browsing.
Don't get me wrong, I love how they look and that they're transparent is really nice, but I just never use them anymore because I don't like holding a glossy feeling system.

Probably just gonna skip any glossy faceplates from this point forward since I know I'll never use them. Shame too, since there are some really nice ones that are glossy. I'd buy that Smash faceplate so hard if only it was matte... :/

Don't get me wrong, I love how they look and that they're transparent is really nice, but I just never use them anymore because I don't like holding a glossy feeling system.
I am the same way. Hearing all new XL's are gloss killed my interest quick.
So far the first third-party XL protection cover is transparent by Hori, but I think we will see some cool designs by March.
protect-case-new-yoshi-island-type-b-3dsll-en.jpg

Blunoise

Just brought the majoras mask theme tonight. Man can't belive this will be my last night playing on the OG 3ds before the new and improve XL tmmrw :)

PartyChan

Just so we're clear, I'm no no way attracted to the insanely cute Japanese girl in the commercial, and in no way does she influence my buying all those damned themes.

the song in the commercial plays in a loop as you're browsing all the covers on the website: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/kisekae/#/try. i'm convinced there's some subliminal message that says 'BUY THEM ALL!' because i went on a spree shortly after.

i posted this in the AUS/NZ N3DS launch thread a few weeks ago. but there it is again. i do have the pikachu and kirby one on order from amazon.jp, shipping via tenso to the US. i own a AU N3DS. that is all.

924134_1406972159600270_1707944509_n.jpg

I never thought I would be so into 3DS themes. I bought the Majora's Mask Dire Moon theme which raises me to owning 3 themes (excluding Sonic Boom).
Now I have a question. You can get the MH theme for free if you have purchased MH4U as a download. Do I miss out on this bonus if I have the LE n3DS XL which has the game pre-installed?
I probably won't know the answer until people have it in their hands tomorrow.

ss-hikaru

the song in the commercial plays in a loop as you're browsing all the covers on the website: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/kisekae/#/try. i'm convinced there's some subliminal message that says 'BUY THEM ALL!' because i went on a spree shortly after.

i posted this in the AUS/NZ N3DS launch thread a few weeks ago. but there it is again. i do have the pikachu and kirby one on order from amazon.jp, shipping via tenso to the US. i own a AU N3DS. that is all.

924134_1406972159600270_1707944509_n.jpg

Which one are you going to actually use? XD I wish I could justify having a face plate collection, there are so many awesome ones. I love going to the kisekae website to just look at them all again :p

PartyChan

Which one are you going to actually use? XD I wish I could justify having a face plate collection, there are so many awesome ones. I love going to the kisekae website to just look at them all again :p

i have the kk slider on right now. i plan on using the kyary one next month to commemorate the release of her new single, which actually includes the full song of the commercial annnnd ill probably the save glow in the dark boo one for october/halloween...

that's all i know for now. other than that it'll just depend on my mood i guess. lol

as some collectors can likely relate, it was just a short spurt/phase of collecting N3DS plates.

i'm glad i got late into it, as it allowed me to consolidate my shipment of all into one. import shipping fees are not cheap.

i think im good for now and will really limit myself to MUST HAVES from here on out.

kunonabi

I never thought I would be so into 3DS themes. I bought the Majora's Mask Dire Moon theme which raises me to owning 3 themes (excluding Sonic Boom).
Now I have a question. You can get the MH theme for free if you have purchased MH4U as a download. Do I miss out on this bonus if I have the LE n3DS XL which has the game pre-installed?
I probably won't know the answer until people have it in their hands tomorrow.

I've been able to restrain myself on themes despite really being interested in the legend of legacy and sega saturn themes. Badges are another matter. I told myself I wasn't going to spend on them and I ended up spending 10 bucks the last month when I saw all the Nikki stuff. I really wonder how much money they're making off themes and badges.

Thanks to the help of kudus, a spreadsheet has been added for JP cover plate import links. I will make an EU one sometime tonight. Monster Hunter plates I only seen pop up in GAME as of today.
Most sites do international shipping except Amazon Japan. You need the Tenso service for that.

Edit: Amazon.DE seems to have all current covers with unique numbering. Topic will be updated with EU numbering once we find out more!
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00SKQZ86C/

New lovely banners updated. Hope everyone is enjoying their new system!
The spreadsheet for EU cover plate imports should be done Sunday.

Also happy news Nintendo Japan has launched a theme website!

YomommaZ

Hmmm is it known already if that sweet Triforce coverplate is limited edition or standard? Cuz if its limited I might have to preoder it on amazon.de for my future n3DS when I decide to buy one...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Headings don't work on dark theme btw :)

Got the wooden cover and I really want the red mushroom, boo, and embossed white Mario one, but I thinkall of those are import only for now so I'll hold off to see what wave 2 in Europe is like

grave_danger

Neo Member
Snagged the new 3DS yesterday. I'm in Germany. I got the black model and really love the texture.

I'm thinking it will look nice with those white Mario cover plates...but I may hold out for the Zelda/tri force set. Is it limited edition or anything here?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Cyber Gadget Neko Nyan covers

Dunno if the 3DS LL ones are compatible with the new 3DS LL, but they're coming with new 3DS LL-branded ones at least.

EDIT: Prolly not since the new 3DS LL is a few mm bigger.

I've got a clear cover coming in where you can just put anything you print out in between the cover and the 3ds.

Headings don't work on dark theme btw :)
Strange. Works on mobile & normal theme.
Thanks for the heads up.
Also from what I heard the Zelda plates are limited, but will be reprinted. Monster Hunter plates are a one time deal...

Edit: LIST and URL together do not work with dark. Now all is good. Mobile pops up a picture in a new tab, but still works.

I've been able to restrain myself on themes despite really being interested in the legend of legacy and sega saturn themes. Badges are another matter. I told myself I wasn't going to spend on them and I ended up spending 10 bucks the last month when I saw all the Nikki stuff. I really wonder how much money they're making off themes and badges.
I have been getting themes since I sometimes have leftover money after buying some games off of the eShop, but since I don't have enough to get some eShop games that I'm interested in, I just spend it on what upcoming game I'm getting next.

kubus

Wait why am I only finding this thread now?! I had no idea it was up yet, lol. TheSlySoul, did you by any chance try to PM me using the name kudus? Because it's kubus, lol. I noticed you have it spelled as kudus multiple times in the OP so maybe I missed a PM or something :p

Anyway nice thread! I ordered the Triforce cover plate from amazon.de so hopefully I get it early. Would be nicer if I had a black 3DS but it still looks okay-ish on the white N3ds.

Btw one suggestion for the OP: The link to the cover plate spreadsheet goes to a mobile version of google sheets. It looks much nicer in desktop format, which is this link.

Anyway nice thread! I ordered the Triforce cover plate from amazon.de so hopefully I get it early. Would be nicer if I had a black 3DS but it still looks okay-ish on the white N3ds.

Btw one suggestion for the OP: The link to the cover plate spreadsheet goes to a mobile version of google sheets. It looks much nicer in desktop format, which is this link.
Oh, I made a typo. My bad. Also yeah I will update the credit. Didn't mean anything by it. I typed it by how I pronounced it in my head, ha ha.

Also will link to the desktop version.

Anyways, seems the Zelda plates will be a limited run so I will be tracking right when some stores put them up. Nin-Nin Game and Nippon-Yasan have it, but at $75 USD. From what I emailed, Amazon.co.uk says they are going to get it sometime in March.

Corgi

Banned
so i admit im a cheapo and am using the sonic boom theme because its free.

fix my problem folks!

Any themes worth looking into that don't just feel like an ad?

so i admit im a cheapo and am using the sonic boom theme because its free.

fix my problem folks!

Any themes worth looking into that don't just feel like an ad?
If you really like the Zelda game, the ALBW one I really like.
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip4EEVeS9Lc&feature=player_embedded

I really like the theme website Nintendo made for Japan (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/theme/index.html) so I am hoping they do something like it for NA/EU.

Why can't NA have the Collectible Badge Center!

That looks like a pretty cool title and and concept
I am hoping it does come over here. E3 announcement would be nice.
It just came out in November, so time will tell. We got Pokémon Shuffle, but not Denpa Men Free as well.

If the Regular New 3DS comes to NA I'll buy the hanafuda theme, otherwise I'm not buying any.

Anyway, do you think we'll ever see any decent free themes? It's kind of sad but also pretty funny that the only free one is Sonic Boom.

Cover Plate n°55 Zelda is 67€ :(

I can't go for this much... n°57 and n°58 are already 24€ each.

I would rather customize my 3DS with Nintendo Collectible Badge Centre :p

I know it has nothing to do with the topic but does GAF more a US or UK forum? centre/center favourite/favorite and some others I was already mixing, I don't know which one to choose :p
like I could write perfectly both lol I'm already happy to be easily understood most of the times

Top Bottom