• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Customization Thread | For the Love of Nintendo...

I got a white Japanese charging cradle (regular new3DS)...is it supposed to be super loose like that? i expected some sort of nice click... but you just kinda rest the console on it and it evens lean a little... it still charges so its not defective like that..
Loose? I'd say the fit is very snug, at least mine, but there is absolutely no click or anything. Ya just kind of jam it in there.

BooJoh

I got a white Japanese charging cradle (regular new3DS)...is it supposed to be super loose like that? i expected some sort of nice click... but you just kinda rest the console on it and it evens lean a little... it still charges so its not defective like that..

Mine is a loose fit. Not quite as stable as the one for my nXL but it doesn't ever fall over or anything. I've read reviews where people said it was so tight they have to hold it down to pull the system out without picking up the cradle with it, so I guess there's some variation and people with a looser fit probably got the more functional product.

Jofamo

The one that came with my ambassador edition is also very loose. It's not much of an issue but as it was mentioned before, it sometimes tilts slightly. It's possible also that it sometimes doesn't sit on the connectors right and won't charge, but that's rare and just takes a double check to correct.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Mine sits tight enough. There's wiggle room so if I pushed the 3DS it would lean, but it will not lean on it's own. Loose enough to easily take it out of the cradle as well. Guess I was lucky.

CPCunha

Super weird right? I mean, IPS screen lottery, difference in the cradles... i wonder if quality control is loosing up.

...i tried 2 different sets of covers... The japanese Smash one and the one i'm currently using... the black one with an embossed patters with the bullet bill, coins and blocks. I had a problem with the smash one where the bottom half would slightly bulge in the mid and i could tell it was touching the surface where i'd put the 3ds on. The black one feels so much firmer.

BooJoh

Super weird right? I mean, IPS screen lottery, difference in the cradles... i wonder if quality control is loosing up.

...i tried 2 different sets of covers... The japanese Smash one and the one i'm currently using... the black one with an embossed patters with the bullet bill, coins and blocks. I had a problem with the smash one where the bottom half would slightly bulge in the mid and i could tell it was touching the surface where i'd put the 3ds on. The black one feels so much firmer.

I have a similar thing with my MHX covers. My other 4 sets of covers are fine, but the MHX ones are just loose enough on the bottom that I have to be careful not to let the stylus slip out on its own.

Are there any covers out there that glow in the dark like the boo cover? The prices for an official one are fucking outrageous.

zroid

Banned
I bought the Mario N3DS bundle and I want to get cover plates, but they're so expensive on ebay, amazon, etc. ;_;

there's a couple on the Nintendo online store which are okay, but they aren't really the ones I want...

luckily the Mario Maker plates included in the bundle are 👌👌👌

iggiepop

Neo Member
Hi all,

Less than a month ago, I too purchased the Super Mario 3D Land New 3DS bundle and immediately installed the Mario Maker front/back plates. After some time playing around with the system, I felt that the bottom right hand side (when holding the 3DS) would depress and would also creak (near the location of the battery).

I replaced the Mario Maker back plate with the default glossy Mario plate and did not notice the same behavior; this other back plate felt more secure with almost no give/creaking. As the issue appeared to be related to the Mario Maker bottom plate, I went back to the retailer where I bought the unit and asked if I could swap plates from another box.

Trying the second Mario Maker back plate, the issue was still present; are there some plates that cause this issue while others do not?

Are other users here experiencing this issue as well?

The problem does not prevent me from enjoying the system but, from a build quality standpoint, there appears to be something wrong...

Thanks.

Yup, I had been experiencing the issue with the Fire Emblem cover plates - the right hand side would creak and didn't feel sturdy.

But I decided to tighten the screws again yesterday for the first time in months and the issue has gone. But I'm still dissatisfied with the glossy cover plates: mine came scratched out of the box on launch day, the bottom half had warped a bit so it was possible to make the base of the N3DS "flex", and they are just so easily scratched.

Quality control seems to be hit-and-miss in general with the cover plates, for instance my Hyrule Triforce ones weren't printed all the way to the edges, so you can see a line of gray at the sides of your 3DS. I've seen several complaints about that.

I think the matte ones are the best provided the design is printed all the way to the edges. The glossy ones scratch too easily and one of mine had warped causing flex in the unit. The embossed Mario ones are really solid - wish I had them in black to match my black N3DS.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Anyone else tempted to make one last run on cover plates before they get stupid hard to find? I need to look over the full list one last time as I think there's 3 or 4 I'd like to have for my collection.

TheMoon

Anyone else tempted to make one last run on cover plates before they get stupid hard to find? I need to look over the full list one last time as I think there's 3 or 4 I'd like to have for my collection.

what do you mean "before" :)

most interesting are already impossible to find for humane prices. or at all.

TheMoon

Which ones would that be, so I can go ahead and scratch them off my list? (I'm aware of the Boo ones.)

wood, felt, and majora come to mind.

I'm not collecting, so I don't have an extensive knowledge about them. Those are just the ones that have disappeared super quickly. majora's mask plate has shot through the roof now too. I forgot the boo ones even existed, thanks for reminding me *cries*

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
wood, felt, and majora come to mind.

I'm not collecting, so I don't have an extensive knowledge about them. Those are just the ones that have disappeared super quickly. majora's mask plate has shot through the roof now too. I forgot the boo ones even existed, thanks for reminding me *cries*

Ah, not interested in the Zelda ones and while the wood and felt look neat I feel like they'd just be dirt and dust magnets, especially the felt.

Edit: I'm seeing the wood Mario cover plate on eBay for around $30, which I think isn't terribly far off from what it launched at.

Edit 2: The felt Mario cover plate can be had for $16.

TheMoon

Ah, not interested in the Zelda ones and while the wood and felt look neat I feel like they'd just be dirt and dust magnets, especially the felt.

Edit: I'm seeing the wood Mario cover plate on eBay for around $30, which I think isn't terribly far off from what it launched at.

Edit 2: The felt Mario cover plate can be had for $16.

$16? really?

anyway, the wood plate is great. I got it for €15 a long time ago due to a pricing error in the store where it hung with the regular €15 plates. it's the best plate because you'll have zero worries about scratches, fingerprints, etc. plus the texture is just really nice.

Top Bottom