• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Customization Thread | For the Love of Nintendo...

There's still no news on a black N3DS for NA, right? Strangely there seems to be a couple of those in a Nintendo NYC video, so those seem to exist, but not available to the public.

Chorazin

There's still no news on a black N3DS for NA, right? Strangely there seems to be a couple of those in a Nintendo NYC video, so those seem to exist, but not available to the public.

Nope. Most people speculate that those are there because black shows less dirt and wear than white, smart for a demo unit.

Nope. Most people speculate that those are there because black shows less dirt and wear than white, smart for a demo unit.

That's understandable and the reason I want the black model. Hopefully they'll release it soon in the states, I mean all the N3DS bundles get sold out soon and are available only via resellers. If they bundle a N3DS with some anticipated title like Sun/Moon or something else, it'll definitely sell, just don't want to buy one when I will probably buy an NX by year's end too if the Zelda thing is true :/

Tbh i'm hoping Nintendo doesn't do plates for NX handheld. I've *only* bought 3 of them... but really, that's a game i could have bought. I find it too hard to resist though :(

They do look good, but the plastic is too flimsy for the price. The last 2 I got (MH4U "stamps" and today, FE Fates) don't sit as flush as they should on the bottom. I had to take the MH4U bottom off altogether cause it was creaking when i played! The FE Fates one doesn't creak, but it doesn't sit flush at all - there's maybe 2-3mm of give in the middle.

If they can't make them straight they should have designed it with a latch in the centre as well the sides!

Chorazin

Tbh i'm hoping Nintendo doesn't do plates for NX handheld. I've *only* bought 3 of them... but really, that's a game i could have bought. I find it too hard to resist though :(

They do look good, but the plastic is too flimsy for the price. The last 2 I got (MH4U "stamps" and today, FE Fates) don't sit as flush as they should on the bottom. I had to take the MH4U bottom off altogether cause it was creaking when i played! The FE Fates one doesn't creak, but it doesn't sit flush at all - there's maybe 2-3mm of give in the middle.

If they can't make them straight they should have designed it with a latch in the centre as well the sides!

Loosen the screws then press right below the screw while you tighten them. That'll probably solve your problem. :)

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Finally got around to ordering the hanafuda plates today, they should be in Friday.

Gonna pick up the matching theme while I'm at it.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
GBIsDJW.jpg

New Cover Plate arrival.

NP8DpEf.jpg

Went ahead and picked up the matching theme as well.

prateeko

GBIsDJW.jpg

New Cover Plate arrival.

NP8DpEf.jpg

Went ahead and picked up the matching theme as well.

Ohhh, I just did this with the Wood Burned Mario Cover Plate and Theme. I will upload the pics and host them.

Also, I've gone a little nuts with n3DS face/cover plates (which has been tough since I live in the US) and wasn't sure if this or another thread would be the appropriate place to post may haul?

TheMoon

Ohhh, I just did this with the Wood Burned Mario Cover Plate and Theme. I will upload the pics and host them.

Also, I've gone a little nuts with n3DS face/cover plates (which has been tough since I live in the US) and wasn't sure if this or another thread would be the appropriate place to post may haul?

This is the one place where it is unquestionably appropriate to post. :)

prateeko

This is the one place where it is unquestionably appropriate to post. :)

Okay! I'll take some nice shots of the various ones I've picked up...Amazon Japan shipping international really added fuel to the fire (along with a very reasonably priced eBay seller).

prateeko

Anyone know what the quality of these is like yet? The site just calls them "decals", if they're actually faceplates then I'd be down to get a couple...
I have the Mario Hanafuda plates and they're really nice. I want to get more.

I just ordered one of these (I remember seeing them on kotaku when news first broke a while back and had been thinking about it again recently since I got the white n3DS with the Pokémon bundle) mainly for the inside to spruce up my white n3DS but also to help keep it clean. I'll take and post pics when it gets here but some customers have shared theirs on etsy. Def a vinyl sticker though - NOT faceplates (seems he makes em for the XL also).

prateeko

OMG YES, THANK YOU FOR THE LINK!

Also they have a bunch of other sweet faceplates (a few of which I'd imported from Amazon Japan or a good seller of eBay):
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...?categoryId=cat600792&pageSize=6&viewAll=true (This is a link to all the items at NoA store with USD as the default currency. tiijj's link was in CAD which threw me off for a second)

new3ds-coverplate-kanji-package-480x320.png

I am so pumped this is here. I completely missed this (and the sweet boo plates) back when they were on NoA store a while back.

new3ds-coverplate-colorfulyoshi28-package-480x320.png

This is EUR12-15 on Amazon Fr and De. New to NoA

new3ds-coverplate-colorfulstars64-package-480x320.png

Colorful stars hasn't been up on NoA store before

new3ds-coverplate-goomba51-package-480x320.png

I got one of these from Amazon Japan with a recent order - looks great on white. First time on NoA store?

new3ds-coverplate-splatoon60-package-480x320.png

I haven't seen this on NoA's store before either, but I got one from an eBay seller. They look fantastic on both systems I think!

new3ds-coverplate-camouflage44-package-480x320.png

I think this one hasn't been in stock at NoA for a little wihle. It has a matching theme (like many of these) I believe.

My plates from Nintendo just came in. Took a quick picture.

TSMFI3o.jpg

Also been using these for the past while. I really love them. Now I can't choose which to use!!!

BEtI4EQ.jpg

Why the boo one is so expensive!!!! I want one!!

Where do you find cheaper plates?

I looked on amiami and play asia, but they are kinda expensive.

nintendo store is a no no to me since I´m from Chile.

Chorazin

Why the boo one is so expensive!!!! I want one!!

Where do you find cheaper plates?

I looked on amiami and play asia, but they are kinda expensive.

nintendo store is a no no to me since I´m from Chile.

There is no way to get the old ones cheap now, they stopped making them. Unless Nintendo unearths more and throws them up on the store, someone buys one for you at retail, you're probably out of luck,

prateeko

My plates from Nintendo just came in. Took a quick picture.

TSMFI3o.jpg

Also been using these for the past while. I really love them. Now I can't choose which to use!!!

BEtI4EQ.jpg

Do we have the same TPU cover? The one in your second picture: Http://Www.Amazon.Co.Jp/dp/B00NEFC7XG this one?

Also NoA's shipping is ungodly slow. I literally had faceplates delivered to the northeast from Amazon Japan in two days for $10 and meanwhile NoA still hasn't delivered faceplates from more than a week ago...

prateeko

Yep, that's the one I'm using. I love this cover case!

They're pretty slow indeed. I just got the "cheap" $5 shipping though. Still took it almost a week for UPS. Amazon Japan is so awesome with that international shipping.
It's fantastic! I accidentally dropped my system when I had the black triforce plates on and they immediately got scuffed and some glossy ones took on scuffs so easily I realized despite SLIGHTLY muting the color a good cover would be worth it. I love how Google chrome helped translate and avoid the hori one for this one. Shame there aren't more accessories for the n3DS (I also got hori screen protectors) in the US.

Tillbo

I had a similar TPU cover for my old XL which I really liked. I don't have one for my current 3DS as I figured it wouldn't fit in the dock with it on. Is that the case?

prateeko

I had a similar TPU cover for my old XL which I really liked. I don't have one for my current 3DS as I figured it wouldn't fit in the dock with it on. Is that the case?

You mean the DSi XL or the 3DS XL? And by current 3DS do you mean OG 3DS or standard sized n3DS?

The ones made for the 3DS XL by Hori def prevented it from fitting in the cradle. I don't have a cradle around for my n3DS which has that sweet TPU cover on it so I can't test but if you wanted to make it work you could snip off the slight back curvature part

RaidenZR

BEtI4EQ.jpg

I really want that one. Where'd you get it? On ebay they go for a pretty penny, more than I'm willing to spend, at least. I can't even track down what plate number that pink plaid one is.

I really want that one. Where'd you get it? On ebay they go for a pretty penny, more than I'm willing to spend, at least. I can't even track down what plate number that pink plaid one is.

I tried looking for the plate number too and can't find it. I just know it's called "Madras Check". It originally came in a special bundle but I read that only certain stores in Japan got the standalone version or something like that, which is probably why it goes for so much.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B01226ES66/
Here's a Amazon Japan link, where it's slightly cheaper but I'm not positive if any of the sellers ship internationally. I purchased mine on eBay and did pay a bit for it, but I fell in love with it and don't regret it!

RaidenZR

I tried looking for the plate number too and can't find it. I just know it's called "Madras Check". It originally came in a special bundle but I read that only certain stores in Japan got the standalone version or something like that, which is probably why it goes for so much.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B01226ES66/
Here's a Amazon Japan link, where it's slightly cheaper but I'm not positive if any of the sellers ship internationally. I purchased mine on eBay and did pay a bit for it, but I fell in love with it and don't regret it!

Thanks for the info. Amazon jp didn't ship it to NA, so I had to look elsewhere. I managed to find one on eBay for a semi-reasonable price. More than I'd have liked but I imagine they're not making more of these past prints so, might as well get it while I can.

CPCunha

Aren't the Legend of Zelda plates supposed to be glossy?!?! Amazon people say so... oh man if they're matte i'm gonna be all over that!

Sorry I have been busy, but yeah cover plates have slowed down. Rumors is the X plates will come to the west when game launches in July.

CPCunha

I got a white Japanese charging cradle (regular new3DS)...is it supposed to be super loose like that? i expected some sort of nice click... but you just kinda rest the console on it and it evens lean a little... it still charges so its not defective like that..

prateeko

Sorry I have been busy, but yeah cover plates have slowed down. Rumors is the X plates will come to the west when game launches in July.

X plates? Also NoA has the all white smash plates back in stock. They specifically say "Super Smash Bros" in English whereas Japanese imports don't have it written in English so that's a nice little bonus

EDIT: Wierd they're out of stock right now but I ordered them a few days ago...

Top Bottom