• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS System Update Live (Streetpass DLC games, digital game save backups)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Streetpass would be so much more viable if you could do it with your online friends or something. As it stands, the feature is kind of useless for a lot of people in North America... so to charge DLC for it kind of boggles the mind.

MooMoo

I don't really get the backup feature? Since most things are saved to the SD card, what's the point of storing save data back to the SD card? I feel like I'm missing something here. Or maybe I'm just bitter that my SD card got corrupted a week ago and I had no backup on my computer =(

Somnid

Streetpass would be so much more viable if you could do it with your online friends or something. As it stands, the feature is kind of useless for a lot of people in North America... so to charge DLC for it kind of boggles the mind.

That's why they're creating the new StreetPass system.

Nintendo 'fixing' StreetPass in the West.

Lol instead of a Xenoblade or Skyward Sword puzzle, I got a "Heroines" one in germany! I have no clue what that should be. Looks like Wind Waker Princess Zelda, but I only have her right eye.

And when I select the games in the shop, the plaza freezes, crashes and the 3DS restars. Oh well. 20€ (15€) is a bit steep... Especially for something every 3DS owner using Street Pass should propably have.

See my above image.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Online friends would be so nice, especially to get those damn pink pieces for Puzzle Swap.

Hopefully, you can still use Game Coins & even better, hire existing Miis you already got in your plaza.

Lol instead of a Xenoblade or Skyward Sword puzzle, I got a "Heroines" one in germany! I have no clue what that should be. Looks like Wind Waker Princess Zelda, but I only have her right eye.

And when I select the games in the shop, the plaza freezes, crashes and the 3DS restars. Oh well. 20€ (15€) is a bit steep... Especially for something every 3DS owner using Street Pass should propably have.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The new relay system will make things a bit better, but I don't think it's going to change a whole lot for people outside of large cities. It seems like the new games can be played without the need for tagging others, and you earn "tickets" to exchange for outfits or something.

Anteo

I don't really get the backup feature? Since most things are saved to the SD card, what's the point of storing save data back to the SD card? I feel like I'm missing something here. Or maybe I'm just bitter that my SD card got corrupted a week ago and I had no backup on my computer =(

Hopefully it saves in a different Folder so you can copy it to your pc withouth backing up all of the data on the SD Card

vctor182

Update still not up in the US correct?

Also, fuck Nintendo and Streetpass Mii Plaza! I'm trying to save my Play Coins for SMTIV! At least remove the 300 total coins limit and also the 10 coins per day limit. This is so frustrating especially seeing the empty panels that I have, and also reaching 1000+ steps a day and I can't gain any more coins after, this needs an update asap!

can't you just move the calendar one day forward to reset the step counter?

Surfheart

I'm trying to buy one of the new streetpass games (Australia) but it's freezing then giving me an error and closing.

Anyone else?

cand

I'm a little worried about not receiving the mii plaza update. I didn't receive any of the special miis throught E3, and I checked if the option to spotpass was on. =/ I don't know what's happening, every other spotpass function in other softwares works fine...

backlot

I really hope they didn't decide not to include back ups in Animal Crossing to stop people from duping items or something dumb like that. It would be really nice to have that backed up.

Anteo

I'm a little worried about not receiving the mii plaza update. I didn't receive any of the special miis throught E3, and I checked if the option to spotpass was on. =/ I don't know what's happening, every other spotpass function in other softwares works fine...

Aparently the problem is fixed by changing the language of the console or something like that (some of my friends had the same problem). Oh and the StreetPass update is Europe/Japan only

I really hope they didn't decide not to include back ups in Animal Crossing to stop people from duping items or something dumb like that. It would be really nice to have that backed up.

Don't know much about AC, but why not MH. And I guess Pokemon won't support backups either.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
well, that's dumb and annoying.. :/
I've got 8 puzzles that still need all their blue pieces collected. More unfinished puzzles you have at once, the harder it is to get a new piece. I've got 3 that barely have been started, yet I always seem to get duplicates on ones 1/2 finished or just about finished with 3 or 4 empty spots left. Doesn't help me one bit when Nintendo adds ANOTHER puzzle when I still have others to complete.

M3d10n

Two things:

1) you can now delete a game to save space and keep your save. This is huge: until now deleting a game would delete the save too and the only way to back it up was by making an entire SD card backup on a PC. It even asks if you want to make a backup when you try to delete anything now.

I was contemplating buying a new SD card because mine is full and I don't want to part with my saves. This fixes the problem since the saves hardly take space.

2) you can freeze a save and restore it later. Good for games with a single save slot so you can experiment.

Vibranium

Banned
Oh, so the streetpass stuff isn't for North America then I guess. All NA users get is the ability to back up saves, right? Thanks for nothing CEO Iwata/Reggie.

What the point of saves backup if you don´t get the games back if your 3DS is broken or stolen?

It means I could delete the massive DKCR file without losing my save, and redownload it later.

It's just a nice bit of convenience, is all.
Oh, so the streetpass stuff isn't for North America then I guess. All NA users get is the ability to back up saves, right? Thanks for nothing CEO Iwata/Reggie.

We've got the buggy, glitchy beta that crashes all the time. You get the real deal later on. You poor things.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn this was meant to be out everywhere on Thursday, and got accidentally pushed out with the system update.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Fuck, and I just deleted mighty switch force yesterday to make room for animal crossing. Wish that I had saved my save first.

Javier

One more thing the update added: You can now change brightness from System Settings. Not something big, but hey, it's there.

M3d10n

Oh, I just tested deleting and re-downloading a NES game with a backed save. The 3DS automatically restored the save after unwrapping the game, neat!

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
And the new puzzle just arrived on my friend's 3DS who hasn't completed all the puzzles yet. (This time, it was NSLU.)

Vibranium

Banned
It means I could delete the massive DKCR file without losing my save, and redownload it later.

It's just a nice bit of convenience, is all.

We've got the buggy, glitchy beta that crashes all the time. You get the real deal later on. You poor things.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn this was meant to be out everywhere on Thursday, and got accidentally pushed out with the system update.

That actually would make so much sense, knowing Nintendo. We'll have to wait and see I guess, I wish they'd clear this up on their website or social media.

MooMoo

Two things:

1) you can now delete a game to save space and keep your save. This is huge: until now deleting a game would delete the save too and the only way to back it up was by making an entire SD card backup on a PC. It even asks if you want to make a backup when you try to delete anything now.

I was contemplating buying a new SD card because mine is full and I don't want to part with my saves. This fixes the problem since the saves hardly take space.

2) you can freeze a save and restore it later. Good for games with a single save slot so you can experiment.
Thanks for the clarifications!

Top Bottom