• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS "under review" (temp not being sold direct) at Amazon [Up: Under Review Again]

Fredrik

[Nintex] said:
I think Apple uses IPS screens and those should perform better outside than LED.
"Should", but I just did a comparison and you were right, it's pretty much identical. I did turn the brightness to max on both though, which made the 3DS a little better than it was before since I usually have it on "3". It still gets a bit harder with the 3DS than the iPhone though since you have to hold the 3DS in a certain way to get the 3D effect, the iPhone can be turned around until you find an angle that makes it work.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
For clarification, its the shittest piece of shipped hardware from Nintendo because of the screen scratching issue. They designed, manufactured, shipped and sold hardware that damages itself. Not a broken hinge that cracks over time, not a wobbly joystick, but the screen itself damaged and requiring repair or replacement. Thats a pretty goddamn big stuff up.

Mafro

Gravijah said:
is that a port of the ps3 version
I lolled.

Oh and these faint "scratches" on my screen just wipe off with a glasses cleaning cloth. I guess the problem is worse for some than it is for others.

Furret

Banned
EatChildren said:
For clarification, its the shittest piece of shipped hardware from Nintendo because of the screen scratching issue. They designed, manufactured, shipped and sold hardware that damages itself. Not a broken hinge that cracks over time, not a wobbly joystick, but the screen itself damaged and requiring repair or replacement. Thats a pretty goddamn big stuff up.

Does it really scratch anything though?

It certainly pushes all the dirt into a straight line that needs to be constantly wiped off when you close it, but I don't see how it could ever scratch it?

Gravijah

EatChildren said:

The amusing part is that, going by the fixed versions people mention, the fix is simple.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Furret said:

It certainly pushes all the dirt into a straight line that needs to be constantly wiped off when you close it, but I don't see how it could ever scratch it?

Yes, over time it can (will) scratch the screen. I have a slight mark on mine, others have worse.

fart town usa

Gold Member
[Nintex] said:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/schedule/index.html
And just 3 days before the "First Quarter Earnings Release [Scheduled]"

Nintendo stock is so going to tank.

Note to GAF members who own Nintendo stock set this on repeat to calm down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqcPSbkS9TQ

LOL, man i love me some mario 64.

I've read alot of comments on other forums about system crashes when trying to boot up the 3DS. I know one of the guys at IGN was having the same problem, he mentioned it on one of the NVC podcasts.

I haven't had any issues with my 3DS but I must admit that the device seems flimsy and the touch screen doesn't seem nearly as responsive as the DS Lite.

Furret

Banned
EatChildren said:
Yes, over time it can (will) scratch the screen. I have a slight mark on mine, others have worse.

I dunno, this just sounds like the sort of thing Internet forums nerds (no offence) like to pretend is a big issue and yet you never hear about in real life.

I've heard plenty of people complain their eyes hurt after using it, but never this.

Nintendo will be very lucky if they don´t get sued. I still can´t believe that Nintendo knew about the issue and still shipped a faulty product. I did not think Nintendo would do such a thing.

daffy

Banned
EatChildren said:
Not (will) if you take proper precaution. And it doesn't require repair either, otherwise all 3DS owners would be out of luck right now.

Gravijah

Furret said:
I dunno, this just sounds like the sort of thing Internet forums nerds (no offence) like to pretend is a big issue and yet you never hear about in real life.

I've heard plenty of people complain their eyes hurt after using it, but never this.

Wait, what? The screens will visibly scratch. That shouldn't happen. At all.

FTH said:
Not (will) if you take proper precaution. And it doesn't require repair either, otherwise all 3DS owners would be out of luck right now.

You shouldn't have to take precaution. And Nintendo obviously agrees, which is why they seem to have fixed it in newer models.

Beam said:
Nintendo will be very lucky if they don´t get sued. I still can´t believe that Nintendo knew about the issue and still shipped a faulty product. I did not think Nintendo would do such a thing.

You obviously don't remember the NES. ;)

EatChildren

FTH said:

Sticking a cloth in the system or attaching rubber stubs to the edges is not 'proper precaution'. It is unnecessary effort to protect the system against unadvertised and certainly unexpected damage. Nobody shouldn't have to do it, and the fact people do, if just to avoid smudges on the top screen, is a blatantly obvious design fault.

FTH said:

That's the thing though, 3DS owners shouldn't have to stick a cleaning cloth or whatever between the screens to carry it around.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Furret said:

Sure as hell does. I've got two line scratches on my screen. I really need to send it in and stop being lazy about it lol

daffy

Banned
EatChildren said:
Sticking a cloth in the system or attaching rubber stubs to the edges is not 'proper precaution'. It is unnecessary effort to protect the system against unadvertised and certainly unexpected damage. Nobody shouldn't have to do it, and the fact people do, if just to avoid smudges on the top screen, is a blatantly obvious design fault.
non? I'm taking advanced measures to prevent inconvenience aren't I? In any case, I'm not saying it isn't a design flaw, it clearly is, but to say you will and absolutely must repair and replace it due to this doesn't sound right, I doubt I'll have to do that.

Currently I have no scratches or smudges on my 3DS screen (little smudges on the top black border is all so far), I only added the cloth after reactions from GAF in the LTTP thread.

Chopper

Opus Angelorum said:
From my own time using the 3DS, I think the overall build quality isn't particularly impressive...especially considering the asking price.
Unfortunately, this is true. I've had mine since launch, and it has just deteriorated over time. Smudges, scratches, wobbles, allsorts. Doesn't make sense considering how sturdy and awesomely the DSis are made.

Furret

Banned
Gravijah said:
Wait, what? The screens will visibly scratch. That shouldn't happen. At all.

You shouldn't have to take precaution. And Nintendo obviously agrees, which is why they seem to have fixed it in newer models.

I agree on all counts, it's just I've never heard anyone talk about this outside GAF - I've certainly never seen it in person. GAF seems to love to pretend rare defects are somehow company-ruining epidemics and it seemed to me this was another example.

I hope they do do a redesign as I hate the 3DS's clunky design. A real step back from the DS Lite/DSi.

daffy

Banned
Infernal Monkey said:
That's the thing though, 3DS owners shouldn't have to stick a cleaning cloth or whatever between the screens to carry it around.
I put a screen protector on mine and hadn't needed to use a cleaning cloth at all before GAF started up with the scratching issue. I mean its true we should all have perfectly faultless hardware for the price, but this is usually never the case with anything.
Furret said:
I agree on all counts, it's just I've never heard anyone talk about this outside GAF - I've certainly never seen it in person. GAF seems to love to pretend rare defects are somehow company-ruining epidemics and it seemed to me this was another example.
I'm certainly inclined to think so.

Furret said:

I hope they do do a redesign as I hate the 3DS's clunky design. A real step back from the DS Lite/DSi.
Search for it on Google. You get quite a few results.

Delio

Furret said:

If they redesign it would they make it bigger?

Chopper

Furret said:
FTH said:
I'm certainly inclined to think so.

Well, I'm a real person that exists outside of Gaf, I picked up a launch unit, and through no fault of my own, I have two parallel scratches running along each edge of my top screen. Scratches, not smudges. Believe the hype. :p

Furret said:
I've certainly never seen it in person.

I've seen two demo units in GAME stores that exhibit problems.

In general I think most people assume the marks are just dirt/grease, it's only when you clean the screen you realise it's more permanent.

Also add me to the list of people who hate the three tier design.

SmokyDave

Chopper said:
Well, I'm a real person that exists outside of Gaf, I picked up a launch unit, and through no fault of my own, I have two parallel scratches running along each edge of my top screen. Scratches, not smudges. Believe the hype. :p
Dude, you're replying to the guy that posted this....

FTH said:
Well I understand this but you can't necessarily call that one flaw issues of hardware due to personal preference. If you use your 3DS as directed (ie playing it) you won't have to worry about scratching it.

The flaw is already fixed in newer models apparently so, yeah. They even offer free solution, I personally care enough to where I don't need that.
I wouldn't expect rationality.

Chopper

demonturkey said:
Tell me more.
Various people claim that the newer models have higher bumpers on the unit, so there is less likelihood of the screens touching. I have yet to see any documentation, pictures or other proof of this though, and I've been looking. I'm awaiting a reply from NoE about my issues, so will let everyone know if they inform me of a "newer model".

[Nintex]

Chopper said:
Various people claim that the newer models have higher bumpers on the unit, so there is less likelihood of the screens touching. I have yet to see any documentation, pictures or other proof of this though, and I've been looking. I'm awaiting a reply from NoE about my issues, so will let everyone know if they inform me of a "newer model".
You're expecting NoE to inform you about 'anything' good luck ! :D

daffy

Banned
SmokyDave said:
Dude, you're replying to the guy that posted this....

I wouldn't expect rationality.
How about you explain why that's so irrational instead of being a prick?
Chopper said:
I didn't say it never happened. Just that it seems rare.

Chopper

[Nintex] said:
You're expecting NoE to inform you about 'anything' good luck ! :D
Well, I had a pretty big list of issues with it, and asked some rather specific questions about my warranty, as the external casing is a little scratched up. If I get a reaponse from an actual person, at the very least I would hope to be better informed. But you're right. I'll be lucky.

SmokyDave

FTH said:
How about you explain why that's so irrational instead of being a prick?
Me being a prick is a medical condition. You shouldn't mock the afflicted.

As for irrational, what you posted is mental. I guess you needed to follow these up...

FTH said:
time for a thick dose of FUD.
FTH said:
There are no hardware issues. There's one flaw in design. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.
I, on the other hand, can mock the afflicted. One of the benefits of being a prick.

Edit: Has it even been confirmed that the screen scratching is the reason for this decision?

[Nintex]

Chopper said:
Well, I had a pretty big list of issues with it, and asked some rather specific questions about my warranty, as the external casing is a little scratched up. If I get a reaponse from an actual person, at the very least I would hope to be better informed. But you're right. I'll be lucky.
Keep us updated but they usually don't replace anything unless they're essential parts that affect gameplay so in case of scratches and all you usually have to pay for the repairs yourself.

SmokyDave said:
Edit: Has it even been confirmed that the screen scratching is the reason for this decision?

No.

When Amazon pull a product off their site for review, it is generally because they are either receiving a lot of returns or a high number of complaints.

I can't think of any other reason. It's nothing to do with availability.

daffy

Banned
SmokyDave said:

As for irrational, what you posted is mental. I guess you needed to follow these up...

I, on the other hand, can mock the afflicted. One of the benefits of being a prick.

What was even the point of this? For all the unfunny snark you wrote you could've just responded with respect? What the hell is wrong with GAF I swear.

I'm done with you, really.

edit: ugh I'm going to bed. Nerds will always have the last laugh.

SmokyDave said:

wow what the hell

SmokyDave

Opus Angelorum said:
No.

When Amazon pull a product off their site for review, it is generally because they are either receiving a lot of returns or a high number of complaints.

I can't think of any other reason. It's nothing to do with availability.
I'm surprised that neither Amazon nor Nintendo has come out and said why this is. I'd expect Nintendo would want to clarify that there is nothing 'wrong' with the 3DS.

FTH said:
I'm done with you, really.
Don't get too hot & flustered chuck, I was just poking fun at your relentless damage control. I get it, being an early adopter 'n' all. No real malice intended.

Gravijah

demonturkey said:
Tell me more.

A GAFers mentioned his brothers brand new 3DS having higher pads that keep the screen from touching. Other people have mentioned getting theirs repaired with new pads. Obviously, this isn't 100% confirmed.

Top Bottom