• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS "under review" (temp not being sold direct) at Amazon [Up: Under Review Again]

Chopper

FTH said:
What was even the point of this? For all the unfunny snark you wrote you could've just responded with respect? What the hell is wrong with GAF I swear.

I'm done with you, really.

edit: ugh I'm going to bed. Nerds will always have the last laugh.
I thought it was funny. You called the man a prick. Also, he's right.

SmokyDave said:
I'm surprised that neither Amazon nor Nintendo has come out and said why this is. I'd expect Nintendo would want to clarify that there is nothing 'wrong' with the 3DS.

Hence the review.

If it is being returned for 'hardware issues' I imagine Amazon will be speaking with Nintendo to clarify the situation.

I've seen numerous items pulled from Amazon, generally it's either been discontinued or they have problems with the supplier.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
FTH said:
Well I understand this but you can't necessarily call that one flaw issues of hardware due to personal preference. If you use your 3DS as directed (ie playing it) you won't have to worry about scratching it.

The flaw is already fixed in newer models apparently so, yeah. They even offer free solution, I personally care enough to where I don't need that.

haha, that's the most ridiculous thing I've read in a while. Closing the 3DS is now "not using it as directed"? What?

Chopper

[Nintex] said:
Keep us updated but they usually don't replace anything unless they're essential parts that affect gameplay so in case of scratches and all you usually have to pay for the repairs yourself.
I just figured, if they have enough complaints they'll have to admit that there's a hardware fault. Then they would be obliged to replace my unit, no? Well, anyway. We'll see...

Xavien

EatChildren said:
Yes, over time it can (will) scratch the screen. I have a slight mark on mine, others have worse.

Not true, got a launch unit here with zero scratches on the screen. Feel sorry for the unlucky folks with this problem though.

Gravijah

Xavien said:
Not true, got a launch unit here with zero scratches on the screen. Feel sorry for the unlucky folks with this problem though.

Do you get the marks? Over enough time, the scratches are all but inevitable.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
TheBez said:
Talked with an Amazon rep and this is what he said:

The reason why this is under a review :
The flip-screen is loose when its opened, please inform them that Nintendo has confirmed as long as the upper screen locks into place, the unit is within Nintendo’s design specification. Customers can call 1-800-255-3700

He also gave me this link to use for further help

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_na/ts_system.jsp?menu=housing and hinge
Huh, so it's not related to the screen?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
east of eastside said:
Don't worry, Imagination Technologies PowerVR 6 equipped mobile devices will kill portables no matter what Nintendo does.

hint: PowerVR 6 = PS3/360 equivalent visuals coming to smartphones, tablets, and set top boxes 2H 12.

Tegra 4 isn't sounding too bad either.
Lazy8s?

The issue I have with smart phones is simply that few developers seem to target the true capabilities of these devices. The iPhone 4, iPad 2, and various Android phones are already quite powerful, but the overwhelming majority of games being released run at low framerates. Many of them are sub 30 fps while those that target 30 fps often drop and stutter during play (ESPECIALLY on Android). The few that run at 60 fps often look no better than a SNES title (and sometimes even worse). The games are still popular, but developers need to sort out these performance problems.

It's for this reason that the 3DS still holds it own. It may not be as capable, but most games run very smoothly. The PS Vita will be even more impressive in this regard delivering how end visuals at smooth, consistent framerates. It doesn't matter how capable smart phones are if most developers aren't taking advantage of the hardware.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I really hope this kicks Nintendo into releasing another revision early, I really want a 3DS but I refuse to buy the current model.

I swapped out 3 units myself from Amazon and finally just kept the final one. All of them had a loose hinge.

I'm glad Amazon is putting some pressure on Nintendo to fix this.

RIP 3DS.......... :p

poor system having so much hate and problems , I hope people don't abandon it

As for that problem, I assumed it was the screen scratching, I'm glad mine isn't that bad but a tip that most do, use that thin plastic that came with the system when it's off, it'll help.

My hinge might be somewhat loose, but nothing to the effect that it would make me think it wasn't either;

a) design specification (due to all the broken hinges last gen on DSLs)

or

b) something that was so bothersome that it would annoy me (and I'm really particular about this type of stuff --- like yellow screens on my DSL, missing pixels, scratches on my hardware, etc.)

Must be something that I'm not experience for it to be so worrisome that Amazon would pull it from sale.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
dark10x said:
Lazy8s?

The issue I have with smart phones is simply that few developers seem to target the true capabilities of these devices. The iPhone 4, iPad 2, and various Android phones are already quite powerful, but the overwhelming majority of games being released run at low framerates. Many of them are sub 30 fps while those that target 30 fps often drop and stutter during play (ESPECIALLY on Android). The few that run at 60 fps often look no better than a SNES title (and sometimes even worse). The games are still popular, but developers need to sort out these performance problems.

It's for this reason that the 3DS still holds it own. It may not be as capable, but most games run very smoothly. The PS Vita will be even more impressive in this regard delivering how end visuals at smooth, consistent framerates. It doesn't matter how capable smart phones are if most developers aren't taking advantage of the hardware.
This is always the best counter to anyone saying smartphones and pads are competing hard. No they're not. They sell some good games for cheap in the middle of a sea of crap. At least with Vita (and 3DS to a lesser extent) you're getting competent games with generally good visuals. I can't wait to see RR or any of them launch games on Vita. I remember being super impressed by the PSP when I first got it. Couldn't believe the games looked that good for a handheld.

For the record, I have no issues with mine since it sits open and has sat that way ever since this issue has been discovered. It sucks but that's the way it has to be.

outunderthestars said:
Why recall when they can release the 3ds lite next year and get most of you to buy another one?
Ding ding ding.

There will be a new 3ds on shelves by early next fall, and we can all pretend this never happened like the DS phat or the no-light GBA.

TerryWogan said:
Urgh. Pay day today and I was going to buy one after work. Should I bother?

I think you should wait, as they might fix the problem with their next batch the upcoming months. I wouldnt be surprised they are still selling early launch models around. I like my 3ds, but this flaw should be fixed before new people adapt.

DaBuddaDa

TerryWogan said:
Buy it when there are games out you want to play badly. Are there any? If yes, then buy it. If no, then wait.

If they do some sort of recall (however unlikely it may be) then does anyone know if there's some easy method to transfer games/content purchases from our current 3DS system to a new one?

It's still not account-based, so I'm assuming that one would have to have both the old and new unit to do any type of proposed solution?

madara

TerryWogan said:

Wish I waited, I waited out nearly every console the last six years but I got suckered into the 3DS. Patient adopter is going get the best value for sure.

hiro4

DaBuddaDa said:
Buy it when there are games out you want to play badly. Are there any? If yes, then buy it. If no, then wait.

There are no wiser words when it comes to purchasing new game consoles.
Buy the console for the games not for the system itself.

hiro4 said:
There are no wiser words when it comes to purchasing new game consoles.
Buy the console for the games not for the system itself.

Well, yeah. That's sound advice assuming the console doesn't have a hardware fault!

Red

ShockingAlberto said:
I don't think Amazon would stop selling an item because of a design flaw with possible scratches.

What does seem likely is that the description does not give enough warnings about using 3D mode for young children. Parents see warnings on, say, the box when they actually receive the item and complain that they bought a gift for their kid when it says on the box they shouldn't use it (fundamentally misunderstanding the warning, but hey).

I imagine this will probably be resolved in the morning because I doubt Nintendo wants their system to not be sold through Amazon and they surely do not want speculation about why it's not being sold.
I've seen the "under review" message on a few products on Amazon. If they receive feedback about a possible flaw or problem with their stock, they place the item under review and block sales temporarily. Sometimes the review time can take weeks, not sure what the extent of it will be in this case.

Crunched said:
I've seen the "under review" message on a few products on Amazon. If they receive feedback about a possible flaw or problem with their stock, they place the item under review and block sales temporarily. Sometimes the review time can take weeks, not sure what the extent of it will be in this case.

So when does Duke Nukem Forever go under review? :)

PooBone

To be safe I'm gonna wait til the holiday season before I grab my 3ds/OOT. Maybe by then if there isn't a new hardware revision out (ala 3DS lite) maybe at least they will have fixed some of the small issues.

PooBone said:
To be safe I'm gonna wait til the holiday season before I grab my 3ds/OOT. Maybe by then if there isn't a new hardware revision out (ala 3DS lite) maybe at least they will have fixed some of the small issues.

I'm sure there will be some great amazon black friday deals as well

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
FTH said:
but to say you will and absolutely must repair and replace it due to this doesn't sound right

And it is this attitude that allows shoddy manufactures to piss all over consumers. There's no excuse, and no defense for Nintendo. Those who bought a product unaware of faulty design deserve to have their systems repaired, replaced or money returned.

Chopper

For those doubting the legitimacy of this flaw, I might as well upload this. It's the best picture I could take with the equipment I had, so excuse the quality. But what you see is a solid scratch, that has been cleaned and rubbed with a cloth as much as possible. The opposite side of the screen matches.

jz53g.jpg

Jomjom

Banned
Des0lar said:
haha, that's the most ridiculous thing I've read in a while. Closing the 3DS is now "not using it as directed"? What?

The 3DS: "If you're closing it, you're doing it wrong."

These "under review" Amazon listings can mean many things. Sometimes it is merely an improperly described item. I remember the Shigurui (anime) blu-ray was temporarily withheld apparently after complaints related to the description indicating an included booklet...that was never actually included in the package. It WAS included with the DVD version, however. Thus, the confusion.

radcliff

I had to replace my first 3DS due to a loose hinge. Then, about a week ago, I noticed the hinge on my new 3DS has started to squeek when I open and close the system. I called Nintendo Customer Service and they said as long as it doesn't affect gameplay, they consider it to be in working condition and within design specifications. They did say if it becomes a distraction or lessens my enjoyment of the system, they will fix it since its still under they 1 year warranty. I am thinking of taking them up on that offer.

kodt

Banned
BuckRobotron said:
These "under review" Amazon listings can mean many things. Sometimes it is merely an improperly described item. I remember the Shigurui (anime) blu-ray was temporarily withheld apparently after complaints related to the description indicating an included booklet...that was never actually included in the package. It WAS included with the DVD version, however. Thus, the confusion.

Yeah I was going to order some DBZ Dragon Box sets after they were discounted and listed on SlickDeals. Then the item went under review and the price jumped $20.

I am wondering if it is just fans angry that they don't include the American music or something silly like that. Something they would know if they researched.

Pollux

Not that my opinion on the 3DS matters, but I have one and I absolutely love it. Seriously. For me it was less a desire for 3D and more a need to get a currentgen GB, considering the last one I had was a GB Color. That and I didn't pay for it lol. But I like I can play the new GB games on it and the old one's from the DS era also.

The 3D just isn't that big of a deal for me, the ability to play awesome N64 games wherever I want, now thats just priceless.

Busaiku

It's weird, I definitely got those marks from the bottom screen earlier (I wiped them off every time), but lately it seems as though I haven't been getting them.
I might get them every now and then, but before it was almost a daily occurrence.

3DS can't seem to catch a break. I have tried it and looks to be a great system. I will probably buy it once the price comes down. I know I shouldnt say this but these issues might force nintendo to force the price down.

Pollux

Busaiku said:
It's weird, I definitely got those marks from the bottom screen earlier (I wiped them off every time), but lately it seems as though I haven't been getting them.
I might get them every now and then, but before it was almost a daily occurrence.
I've never had them, and people say that the black one seems to have all the issues, but mines been just fine.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Fortunately for me, I got a screen protector before my top screen could get those scratches. You shouldn't be forced to buy a screen protector in the first place, but it's better than nothing.

Busaiku

_dementia said:
i was planning on waiting for 3DSLite anyway
I believe newer models (not sure how far back) supposedly don't have the problem.
And of course, it's covered under the warranty.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
zmoney said:
Not that my opinion on the 3DS matters, but I have one and I absolutely love it. Seriously. For me it was less a desire for 3D and more a need to get a currentgen GB, considering the last one I had was a GB Color. That and I didn't pay for it lol. But I like I can play the new GB games on it and the old one's from the DS era also.

Its not really a question of content quality or playability though. Even I, with my 3DS woes, quite like the system. I dont like the feel and placement of the d-pad, but thats about it. Otherwise I've thoroughlly enjoyed most of what I've played on the system. I also really love the 3D effect. Released software, future support, quality of games, etc. These are all issues for another debate.

Build quality, specifically this screen scratching manufacturing flaw, is what disappointments me. Not just because it is, by default, a pretty terrible issue with the system, but also because its severely tarnished my impression of a publisher I otherwise have quite a bit of respect for. All systems have had some issues, but never this badly this quickly.

Kacho

Interesting.

I have had a problem with the top portion flipping shut if I have the 3DS sitting down on a table with the screen at a 90 degree angle. That's been my only annoyance with the system thus far, minus the horrendous battery life.

Bring on the revisions!

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
I have the same problem as everyone else with their 3DS. It wasn't a permanent scratch yet though. Solution: I bought screen protectors, and I am not worried anymore :p No issues ever since. The marks appear on the screen protector itself but can be rubbed off. Mine is a launch unit btw.

Top Bottom