• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS "under review" (temp not being sold direct) at Amazon [Up: Under Review Again]

Chopper

Anabuhabkuss said:
I'm not following. Why are all these "bottom screen scratches top screen" posts coming from?

I've had mine since launch and do not have any scratches whatsoever. In fact, the lines that show up on the upper screen can be wiped off easily.
Over time, the lines you speak of turned into scratches on mine and many other units. They are now permanent. I posted a photo on the previous page.

evildede said:
I have the same problem as everyone else with their 3DS. It wasn't a permanent scratch yet though. Solution: I bought screen protectors, and I am not worried anymore :p No issues ever since. The marks appear on the screen protector itself but can be rubbed off. Mine is a launch unit btw.
The marks on the screen protector will eventually become permanent, albeit with the benefit of being more easily replaced than the actual screen.

FTH said:
Well I understand this but you can't necessarily call that one flaw issues of hardware due to personal preference. If you use your 3DS as directed (ie playing it) you won't have to worry about scratching it.

I said wow.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Between the screen issue and the very restricting 3D view angle, I think I can safely say that this is most high maintainance handheld I've owned and least comfortable I've been using one. Being forced to use a screen protector and wedging a piece of cloth every time I close the system is kind of ridiculous. And due to geographical issues, I'm not sure any Nintendo division will pay attention to me. So it looks like I'm gonna be stuck with this situation until the eventual redesign.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Well, the scratching problem, although annoying and shouldn't have passed to the final unit, is easy to fix.

Jinfash said:
Between the screen issue and the very restricting 3D view angle, I think I can safely say that this is most high maintainance handheld I've owned and least comfortable I've been using one. Being forced to use a screen protector and on top of that wedging a piece of cloth every time I close the system is kind of ridiculous. And due to geographical issues, I'm not sure any Nintendo division will pay attention to me.

Just stick two small black piece of plastic on the top screen where the bezel's lower corner make contact and you will be safe. No need for anything else.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Amazon is calling out Nintendo, we might see a 3DS revision sooner than expected.

Go Amazon! They are basically saying: ''We don't sell shit products that come defective''.

Lonely1 said:
Well, the scratching problem, although annoying and shouldn't have passed to the final unit, is easy to fix.

Exactly, Nintendo should eat it.

Is it worth noting that only the black 3DS is under review? The blue one doesn't have this notification.

Aqua Blue 3DS superiority confirmed.

Ulchie

Banned
SMT said:
Amazon is calling out Nintendo, we might see a 3DS revision sooner than expected.

Go Amazon! They are basically saying: ''We don't sell shit products that come defective''.

Exactly, Nintendo should eat it.
Good. I had a good deal come up on a 3DS on a local classified ads site with Ocarina of Time, Pilot Wings and Chrono Trigger DS but I couldn't buy it because I'm waiting for a redesign.

Wow, thread. Wow.

Amazon is calling out Nintendo for being shitty? RIP 3DS? Don't buy this terrible system?

Apparently only the black 3DS is under review, so that must mean the blue 3DS is just fine with no hardware issues, right? That black one was shoddy and poorly made, but the blue ones, those are selling well and a shining example of how to make a high quality handheld.

That's the takeaway from this thread, right? All those people reconsidering buying one ought to just nab the blue one!

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Ulchie said:
Good. I had a good deal come up on a 3DS on a local classified ads site with Ocarina of Time, Pilot Wings and Chrono Trigger DS but I couldn't buy it because I'm waiting for a redesign.

Walmart is going to sell them for $198 in Canada starting July 28, according to Redflagdeals, but I'm still not biting as I know this model is a just a beta guinea pig tester.

I'll wait until the slim if I have to.

Cheap cameras, a cheap small screen, crappy viewing angle, like no, sorry.

TheNatural

My Member!
It's amazing how stupid some of the design problems are for systems that are released. PS2 had big problems with the laser and DRE. 360 had RROD's a plenty. And 3DS has a design that scratches the screen and the hinges are loose. Seriously companies, get your fucking shit together before you release a product.

andymcc

Banned
Zoolader said:
Whoa, now I'm glad I didn't run out to buy a 3DS when OoT was released.

i'm kind of regretting it truthfully. not only because of this, but because the only thing other than OoT I'm playing on the system is a VC emulation of Link's Awakening. the US 3DS is a barren wasteland until SF64, it seems.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Lonely1 said:
Just stick two small black piece of plastic on the top screen where the bezel's lower corner make contact and you will be safe. No need for anything else.
I'm seriously thinking about that, as I've began looking for the least ugly plastics to apply. But I doubt it'll make more satisfied with the product overall, quite the opposite actually, I'm sure I'll hate it a bit more every time I look at them. Which is quite disheartening, because underneath that rushed case is an absolutely amazing system that I should use more often. (I havent completed any of my 5 games)

Edit:

I wish anyone who went with the "piece of plastic" solution would post pics.

Effect

If Nintendo actually had a public relations department this situation wouldn't even be taking place. This sucks for gamers because less sales means less games in general. Yet I'm glad in part Nintendo will potentially be hurt by this. The only thing they clearly understand is sales numbers. The worse the hit there the more likely they are to wake up and address the issue. At least I hope they address things but seeing as this is Nintendo it's difficult to guess what will happen.

dacuk

EatChildren said:
Its the worst piece of hardware Nintendo has ever shipped, so I'm not surprised they're reviewing what is likely a crazy amount of valid returns.

Remember that the Gameboy Advance and DS Phat required a refresh really soon after their release due to poor screen visibility and poor screen lighting.

ACESmkII

I have a Black 3DS and the top screen is pretty wobbly. No scratches yet though.

I'm kinda worried now, what is the main culprit of the scratches? Just closing it?

Gustav

Banned
Danny 117 said:
They'll probably do a Steve Jobs and give everyone some free accessory that prevents this from happening.

You mean just like when they pulled a Steve Jobs with the wiimote condoms?

Effect

Danny 117 said:
They'll probably do a Steve Jobs and give everyone some free accessory that prevents this from happening.

Wouldn't be the first time Nintendo's done this. The rubber shell for the Wii remote.

Duxxy3

ACESmkII said:
I have a Black 3DS and the top screen is pretty wobbly. No scratches yet though.

I'm kinda worried now, what is the main culprit of the scratches? Just closing it?

Yep, nothing more.

I did a bumper mod from this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EXc4Wlp6js

It not perfect but it seems to work. After I did it I put the 3DS in my pocket and walked around a bit(which it what usually causes the marks/scratches for me) and there were none to be found.

IMG_2810.jpg

Like I said it's not perfect but it works.
IMG_2812.jpg

Tarin02543

I have the wobbly screen too and it has not really bothered me since. I was angry when I discovered it immediately after opening up the packaging but I've managed to supress my frustrations since.

Wobbly screen is intentional and normal. It's so the system doesn't develop a hinge crack.

If it's so loose that you can shake it slightly and the screen folds back to completely flat, then you have grounds to call Nintendo. Otherwise it's as intended.

UncleSporky said:
Wobbly screen is intentional and normal. It's so the system doesn't develop a hinge crack.

source? (not calling you a liar I just see this statement thrown around alot and never seen Ninty say this)

I see this said alot saying this was the fix for DSs yet ive never had a problem.
You cant expect nintendo to ship this unit with AR fishing (just a example) where you need to shake the console and expect this wobble (it actually makes me nervous to use such features. A"snapping" back and forth cause of a wobbly hinge cant be good). and when Nintendo even stated you can lose the sweetspot pretty easily (ill dig around for quote but it was a pretty small room for play) for 3d this directly opposes that.

Duxxy3 said:
If that's the solution... yikes. It looks terrible.

Yes it does, but you would never notice unless you look precisely at that angle. And when would you ever?

I'm holding out for nintendo or someone to release aftermarket (larger) bumpers that you can slap in. For now this works.

And BTW I bought my 3DS on July 1st from a store that has a constant stream of them coming in. So it would appear that a "fix" from N has not hit the market yet.

Sennorin

Banned
Duxxy3 said:
If that's the solution... yikes. It looks terrible.

How is that "terrible"? You only notice it when looking at the closed unit from its side. Otherwise, it isn´t visible at all. Nice solution.

SMT

Sennorin said:
How is that "terrible"? You only notice it when looking at the closed unit from its side. Otherwise, it isn´t visible at all. Nice solution.

When you apply pressure to the hinges by sticking stuff between the 3DS screens and walking around, the top half gets wobbly.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Game shortage aside why does everyone on GAF hate the 3DS so much? Like legit hating it. I'm a Nintendo fan slighted way too often and I love the device.

Remember original DS first year? Nintendo handhelds take a while for real software lineups to show up guys...

and this scratching... stop slamming your system closed? I've never so much as had a smudge on my top screen and I've used it for DS games (Dragon Quest V playthrough) and 3DS games (Just cleared Ocarina of time) so it has seen a few hours of use.

The only legit bitching I have for the system is how fucking awful the battery is, you guys are just wanting them to fail.

JackFrost said:
source? (not calling you a liar I just see this statement thrown around alot and never seen Ninty say this)
The fixing of the hinge crack might be an assumption, but it's a natural one. As for a source that a wobbly hinge is normal and intentional:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_na/ts_system.jsp

Situation:
The Nintendo 3DS system's upper screen seems loose or wobbly

Information:
With Nintendo 3DS systems, it is normal for the system to have some slight give or play to the hinge. As long as the upper screen "clicks" into place, this is within the quality specifications of the system and should not affect game play.

Use the system for a few weeks to determine whether this interferes with the enjoyment of game play.

Situation Not Resolved:
If the play in the hinge continues to be distracting or if the issue seems more severe, the Nintendo 3DS does carry a one-year warranty.

We are happy to inspect and, if necessary, fix the system at no charge within the warranty period. To start the repair process, click here.

BurntPork

Banned
IndieJones said:
Is it worth noting that only the black 3DS is under review? The blue one doesn't have this notification.

Aqua Blue 3DS superiority confirmed.
Well, that makes it harder to make a big deal out of this...

UncleSporky said:
The fixing of the hinge crack might be an assumption, but it's a natural one. As for a source that a wobbly hinge is normal and intentional:

Quote:
Situation:
The Nintendo 3DS system's upper screen seems loose or wobbly

Information:
With Nintendo 3DS systems, it is normal for the system to have some slight give or play to the hinge. As long as the upper screen "clicks" into place, this is within the quality specifications of the system and should not affect game play.

Use the system for a few weeks to determine whether this interferes with the enjoyment of game play.

Situation Not Resolved:
If the play in the hinge continues to be distracting or if the issue seems more severe, the Nintendo 3DS does carry a one-year warranty.

We are happy to inspect and, if necessary, fix the system at no charge within the warranty period. To start the repair process, click here.

good stuff. That leaves me pretty confident that they will tighten this up. (it got to the point where certain games I would wedge a piece o0f paper in between hinge to prevent wobble....but this in no way can be good for a solution and only cause a crack or make it more wobbly).

A tightend hinge, no smudges or sparkles I will be one happy camper (moreso if their was software that interests me....but i knew going in this would be the case for awhile)

Top Bottom