• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL Circle Pad Pro on Nintendo's Site

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Or, putting silly conspiracy theories aside, they just don't need it.

And yet they created an add on for the XL model. They could've easily just wrote the whole extra circle pad off but they didn't.

If you've been watching Nintendo over the years it's silly to write it off as a "silly conspiracy". Monster Hunter 4 is still a ways away, and I can't think of a better game to launch the second revision with.

Anyways that's all I've got to say. For those with an XL I think the CPP is a great add on for the games that support it.

FyreWulff

Hmmmmm pretty sure all modern games make use of a second stick these days.

Games are designed for the controls available on the controller? Do tell.

I've yet to run into a game on the 3DS that actually needed the second stick, and the one genre I'd want for (FPS) isn't really present on the handheld, and never has been on Nintendo handhelds. If the next Nintendo handheld has two sticks? Whatever, cool. If you don't like single sticks on a handheld, don't buy the handheld. As for me, I reward developers that actually work with the console they have and not the console they want with my money.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Hopefully this has a better design than the first one. Who am I kidding, this is Nintendo.

Yeah it's not like the XL itself has a pretty sexy design or anything.

Edit: Also dat stick is totally not needed for REvelations. I mean the controls that are there are already more flexible than RE4's. (That aim+strafe)

Mafro

And yet they created an add on for the XL model. They could've easily just wrote the whole extra circle pad off but they didn't.

If you've been watching Nintendo over the years it's silly to write it off as a "silly conspiracy". Monster Hunter 4 is still a ways away, and I can't think of a better game to launch the second revision with.

Anyways that's all I've got to say. For those with an XL I think the CPP is a great add on for the games that support it.
MH4 is only six months away.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Games are designed for the controls available on the controller? Do tell.

I've yet to run into a game on the 3DS that actually needed the second stick, and the one genre I'd want for (FPS) isn't really present on the handheld, and never has been on Nintendo handhelds. If the next Nintendo handheld has two sticks? Whatever, cool. If you don't like single sticks on a handheld, don't buy the handheld. As for me, I reward developers that actually work with the console they have and not the console they want with my money.

Take a deep breath and relax. You're trying to take this in a direction that has nothing to do with my original comment.

Hey, guys, what happened to that new revision that was going to have two circle pads?

200px-Trollface.svg.png

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Looks fucking awful.

Are there even any more than a handful of games that take advantage of this thing?

The Japan version of that Ace Combat game uses it, but, yeah... nothing really.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
People seem to forget that it also adds L2 and R2 buttons.

This is true. They did add those on for good measure as long as they were creating a control expansion. Vita doesn't have quad shoulder buttons and there's not an easy way to cram four shoulder keys onto the current portable designs due to thickness.

LaneDS

Are there any pictures of a 3DSXL next to the Wii U tablet? I'm curious as to the size difference between the two.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Here's a pic of it from Capcom's booth at TGS. It's in a glass case, though.

http://image.itmedia.co.jp/gg/articles/1209/20/l_wk_120920pad11.jpg[img]

[url]http://gadget.itmedia.co.jp/gg/articles/1209/20/news094.html[/url][/QUOTE]

Re-upped.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/J3KTJ.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kid Icarus is only for lefties, I think.

MGS port is horrific, so wouldn't play that with or without CPP.

So, like two games, really. Eh.

Monster Hunter is more of a life style than a game.

Although playing with touch screen for camera controls is fine

dankir

Do we know if its going to run on lithium ion or will it still be a single AAA battery that you have to use a coin to screw into place?

I dunno if it was the batteries or something but my CPP would eat through batteries while it wasn't plugged, so eventually I just left the battery cover off permanently so I leave the batteries out.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Oh my fuck. That is the most ridiculous thing. I really am surprised they didn't just put the buttons on the redesign. It was just an amusing thought, to think that they would go this route, but here we are.

Will there be an Iwata Asks? :lol

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
On topic, why didn't they just add another pad on to the 3DS XL? Principle?

Going by an Iwata Asks about the 3DS XL and general engineering thoughts, there wasn't room in the case without making the XL even larger and thicker. Due to electronics. The CCP has shoulder ZL and ZR triggers too; those would have to have been fit into the upper rim.

The 3DS not having dual analog is basic LOL among gamers, but at the end of the day, that's the way it was designed.

Zeroth

I don't know, the circle pad is pretty small in the system overall. The problem is that the XL is already big, so any extra will inevitably need to be big.

Eusis

I don't know, the circle pad is pretty small in the system overall. The problem is that the XL is already big, so any extra will inevitably need to be big.
At the same time it can be smaller proportionally to the rest of the system, and as Kajima noted the screen doesn't look painfully off center now, nor does the system look overly lopsided on a whole.

Shabutaro

I feel like its not THAT bad. I mean, if your using the XL already, the increased size isnt that much. Like alot of people have already said, its more so the vast size of the console itself that makes the addon so huge.

And regarding the lack of the addition of the extra circle pad on the 3ds XL, I would say that it would lead to marketing issues all in all. If the XL is the only one with the circle pad, then that would seriously mar normal 3ds sales. However, the second circle pad only being on the XL would alienate many consumers who simply do not want such a huge handheld. It would ultimately cause many people to not buy either model of the 3ds, knowing that a remake of the smaller model would be coming soon.

I'll probably get it whenever it's available in the states. The XL is still not the most comfortable handheld to hold for long periods of time.

Top Bottom