• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4th NWR Charity Podcast-athon! (w/ Chris Kohler, MarkMacD, Jose Otero) NOW LIVE!

zroid

Banned

(Official site)

----

UPDATE4:

Show's over, folks! Donations will continue to be accepted for a while, so feel free to chip in whatever you can, even if you missed the live stream. Recordings of the segments will be going up soon.

----

The irc chatroom is located at: SERVER = irc.browsingtheinternet.com ; CHANNEL = #nwr
(there is a webchat window located on the official page for easy access)

----

Hey guys, it's time again for the annual NintendoWorldReport.com Charity Podcast Telethon! This will be the 4th iteration of this fun event and it's all for the kids.

Last year's event was a rousing success, and NWR hopes to repeat or even exceed that. The current donation goal is set at $4000, but if $5000 are raised, a very special (and assuredly hilarious) segment will air at 9pm. See details below.

UPDATE: All segments were unlocked barely 2 hours in! HOLY CRAP! :O
UPDATE2: two additional "stretch goals" have been added to the lineup. they will be recorded at a later date, if unlocked.
UPDATE3: all stretch goals have been unlocked :eek:

----

Here are the pertinent details:

WHAT: An epic Nintendo/gaming-themed live audio "podcast" telethon
WHY: For Child's Play, a charity that provides toys and games to sick kids
WHO: Nintendo World Report staff, special guests and you!
WHEN: Saturday, November 23, 2013 at 12:00pm Noon eastern (9:00am Pacific, 5:00pm GMT) until… you decide!
WHERE: Right here!

----

Program Schedule (subject to change)

Content Program and Fundraising Goals:

(Note: Each hour of content will be unlocked when the corresponding donation goal is met. Fundraising goals are totals, i.e. all previous donations are counted towards the amount. All Times EST.)

Bolded segments have been unlocked!

12:00pm - A Big Ol' What We've Been Playing w/ special guests Chris Kohler and Billy Berghammer! (FREE)
1:00pm - The Year That Was: The WiiU's First Report Card w/ special guest Jose Otero! ($500)
2:00pm - A Crisis on Multiple Consoles: What's Our Prognosis for the Xbox One and PS4? w/ special guests Phil Theobald and Chris Johnston! ($1000)
3:00pm - Radio Trivia Live: Can You Name That Gaming Tune? ($1500)
4:00pm - Space QA Live: Scott Thompson and Jonny Metts Answer Your Space-Related Questions! ($2000)
5:00pm - Who Wants to Be a Nintendoaire Part Deux: The Connectivity Game Show Hit Returns! ($2500)
6:00pm - 3DS Report Card 2013: Wow, They Certainly Fixed That, Didn't They? ($3000)
7:00pm - The Famicast Rides Again w/special guest Mark McDonald! ($3500)
8:00pm - A Healthy Dose of Shenanigans w/Your Live Calls! ($4000)
9:00pm - Box Office Poison Presents: Our Movie of the Forever, Super Mario Bros. ($5000 Stretch Goal)

Date TBA: Connectivity Live Event Extravaganza ($6000 Stretch Goal)
Date TBA: RetroActive Live Part Deux Featuring Greg Leahy ($7000 Stretch Goal)

----

A host of prizes are available to be won, including...

- $5 eShop Credit (WiU/3DS) x2
- Assassin's Creed III (WiiU)
- Disgaea Flonne Figurine
- DuckTales Remastered (Wii U) Physical Copies
- New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U)
- New Super Luigi U (Wii U)
- Pokemon Rumble U DL Code
- Super Mario 4.5" Standing Figure
- Unopened Pokemon Rumble U NFC Figure x5
- Year of Luigi Pin (from Club Nintendo)

...and more! Check the site for a full list.

----

Make a contribution here!

----

t1385226000z1.png

If you happen to miss any segments (or the whole show), everything will be recorded for future listening (barring unforeseen catastrophe), so no need to fret :)

D-e-f-

Banned
12:00pm - A Big Ol' What We've Been Playing w/ special guests Chris Kohler and Billy Berghammer! (FREE)

Oh god, please don't turn this into a bummer segment. Please please please.

Goldmund

Oh, geez, thanks for making this thread. I totally forgot about it. Haven't been up-to-date with NWR's doings in the past few weeks.

Oh by the way, we just announced that Greg will come on late for Shenanigans and the BOP Live stretch goal, if we go all the way. He did watch the SMB movie in preparation...

D-e-f-

Banned
The first segment is basically all about Mario and Zelda. I can't imagine how it would be a bummer!

Well, just looking at the guests for that segment and their more recent history of comments on the subject of Nintendo...

If you can write a game review and turn it into a company's state-of-business-analysis then anything is possible in a "whatcha been playing" segment.

OMG Aero

It sucks that the telethon had to end up on the same night as the Doctor Who Anniversary episode, I'm going to miss the Radio Trivia segment which I really wanted to catch live.

D-e-f-

Banned
Says: "I wish they forced you to use a certain character in some levels"

Then says "And there are these buttons that you can only use with one character. So you arbitrarily have to use this one character because why?"

WTF???!?

MegaByte

He was talking about the difference between designing entire levels around a specific character and forcing a player, unannounced, to have to bring an arbitrary character to a certain point.

D-e-f-

Banned
He was talking about the difference between designing entire levels around a specific character and forcing a player, unannounced, to have to bring an arbitrary character to a certain point.

If you design a level around Luigi's jumps for example, how will you ever notice it since you cannot play it with other characters anyway? A Luigi jump is only special because of how you can use it to maneuver through the levels designed as they are in a different way.

It's nonsense.

Ondore

(on
Project X Zone
in Radio Trivia)
Jonny: "Is there any Castlevania music in this game?"

Slip of the tongue or GAF shoutout? You decide.

Anth0ny

Good stuff. I'm going to listen to as much as I could live, and catch the rest in podcast form. Good luck duders!

3DS Report Card with Neal and the NFR guys is also going really well (after restarting the Skype call in the early minutes). Don't let their problems last year scare you from listening to this -- it's a very different experience.

Also... Famicast Live with Mark McD from 8-4 is coming next!

Tripon

VOTE FOR FINAL FANTASY SIX RETROACTIVE.

Edit: NEW STRETCH GOAL: $8000 for TWO LIVE RETROACTIVE.

2nd Edit: No, dream is dead, they won't do it. ;_;

Ondore

So after democracy at work... it's gonna be a combination of F-Zero X and GX for the live Retroactive early next year.

That's all, folks. 10 hours, >$7000, >80 donors, and hopefully even more as the recordings go out this week. We are thrilled and hope you all enjoyed the programming!

zroid

Banned
Amazing show, guys. Sadly I had to miss the last few hours due to stuff coming up, but I'm eagerly anticipating the recording.

silks

Awesome, awesome telethon guys. Thanks to all who donated, all who listened, all who guested with us, and all who called in!

It seems that every year this thing gets bigger and better, with more people involved, more fantastic content, and more money raised.

$7000+ is a staggeringly large amount of money! It makes me wonder if at some point we'll hit the $10,000 plateau? Run for 12 hours straight? It really does boggle the mind...

Thanks again everybody!

-jon

PSA: The first part of the recording is now available to RFN subscribers and is also linked for direct download on the telethon page. I'll post the remaining parts (4 in all) each night this week.

Top Bottom