• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7 minutes of Alien: Isolation gameplay (hardcore 'survivor' mode)

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I'm really happy that I like TF2 enough to buy this. Now I'm really excited to play it. Looks fantastic.

pelican

I think the game looks exciting and excellant, but I don't think I could play it.

I'm not a nervous type of guy, but these kind of games make me uneasy and I don't like it:)

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Thats a rather liberal use of the term successfully. That game was fun for about 5 minutes, after that it was hot garbage.
Amnesia did the hide and seek mechanic much, much better.
Outlast was a great game. The game went on a couple hours more than it should have but it was a great game. Comfortably my favourite PS4 game I got with PS Plus.

Jobbs

Banned
Outlast did it successfully

first of all, I don't think alien isolation is a zero combat game. you get weapons and gadgets and stuff and there are things you fight against. I've seen videos where you get a gun, FPS style, and friggin shoot a synthetic man, and then throw a bomb at him and light him on fire. It's already well beyond Outlast.

second of all, Outlast sucked shit. I hate Outlast. I hate Outlast deeply. I don't hate the people who made Outlast, and I recognize their skill and talent, but the game design is BROKEN. it's FLAWED. A game like this brings tension from a FIGHT or FLIGHT decision. A choice. Should I try to fight? Maybe this will be a hard fight, or maybe I don't have enough ammo, maybe I should run instead. This choice -- This is the SOURCE of fear and suspense. A game like Outlast is just a carnival ride. It's scary for a bit, but after you realize there's nothing to it and the outcome of everything is the same and there are no actual choices, it becomes a boring, pointless, routine snore. The scares were 100% gone for me by hour 2. 100%.

Absolutely the Alien game fans have been asking for. Horror based with incredible detail paid to the art direction and design of the original film.

Really hoping it plays as well as it looks.

I really, really hope I can disable Depth of Field blur.

Maybe a mod on PC will allow this, but it's a conscious design choice by the developers, as mentioned in a previous Dev-diary video. The idea to impair the players view when checking for motion so that you have to use it sparingly. Racking up the fear factor.

Watevaman

You can't. Best you could do is slow it down so you can get away. Sort of like Nemesis in RE3.

...but you can kill Nemesis in RE3

Maybe a mod on PC will allow this, but it's a conscious design choice by the developers, as mentioned in a previous Dev-diary video. The idea to impair the players view when checking for motion so that you have to use it sparingly. Racking up the fear factor.

This ain't a legit reason to me. It's enough having it in the bottom corner, so when I'm glancing at it (as I would in real life), the rest of the screen is gonna be out of focus anyway. Artificial depth of field like that is just silly.

OneUh8

I didn't watch the vid because I have been doing a media blackout of the game once I knew I wanted it. Getting this and Driveclub on the 7th. Can't wait!

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I didn't watch the vid because I have been doing a media blackout of the game once I knew I wanted it. Getting this and Driveclub on the 7th. Can't wait!

*fist bump*

The only two games I want for the remainder of the year.

Shredderi

Graphics and atmosphere looks good. I'll wait for Gaf impressions about how the game fares as a whole. This video though made for a really irritating watch for my eyes because of the constant focus on the radar and the dof effect that ensued because of it.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
...but you can kill Nemesis in RE3

This ain't a legit reason to me. It's enough having it in the bottom corner, so when I'm glancing at it (as I would in real life), the rest of the screen is gonna be out of focus anyway. Artificial depth of field like that is just silly.
Not until the end of the game though. Before that you can knock him down but not kill him.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
It may have already been asked, but is this pretty much all you'll be doing in the game? Looks gorgeous, seems intense, but man oh man would that get boring after a while.

Apdiddy

I'm very interested in playing this game, although I am a bit concerned about the motion sensor. The guy in the first video spent most of the time not knowing where to go (although that could be representative of the game mode). If I were playing the game, I would get confused too. At the same time, having a giant arrow or a Dead Space light path could take a person out of it.

Bishop89

I'm very interested in playing this game, although I am a bit concerned about the motion sensor. The guy in the first video spent most of the time not knowing where to go (although that could be representative of the game mode). If I were playing the game, I would get confused too. At the same time, having a giant arrow or a Dead Space light path could take a person out of it.

the waypoint is on the motion tracker. The guy playing is just an idiot.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

There is a way point and its suitably vague just like anything related to the motion tracker should be. And being able to get lost would be a plus in my book.

Koobion

first of all, I don't think alien isolation is a zero combat game. you get weapons and gadgets and stuff and there are things you fight against. I've seen videos where you get a gun, FPS style, and friggin shoot a synthetic man, and then throw a bomb at him and light him on fire. It's already well beyond Outlast.

second of all, Outlast sucked shit. I hate Outlast. I hate Outlast deeply. I don't hate the people who made Outlast, and I recognize their skill and talent, but the game design is BROKEN. it's FLAWED. A game like this brings tension from a FIGHT or FLIGHT decision. A choice. Should I try to fight? Maybe this will be a hard fight, or maybe I don't have enough ammo, maybe I should run instead. This choice -- This is the SOURCE of fear and suspense. A game like Outlast is just a carnival ride. It's scary for a bit, but after you realize there's nothing to it and the outcome of everything is the same and there are no actual choices, it becomes a boring, pointless, routine snore. The scares were 100% gone for me by hour 2. 100%.

So a game is flawed because it's linear? That's exactly what you're implying. I thought it was a fun experience - sort of in the same way games like Dear Esther or Gone Home are. The story and mystery behind those games is the most interesting part, and I dare say Outlast was more fun overall than both of them. Both of them. 100%.

I am so very glad that I will have my PC fully upgraded right before this and The Evil Within come out. It's going to be a great October of horror gaming.

I loved Outlast. Finished it on PS4, and just bought it on PC in the current steam sale.

Played Alien on PS4 at E3 and it was a ton of fun. Unfortunately I was terrible at it. Hopefully my skills have improved since June!

I think of Jim Sterling when I see this game, I know he's a big Alien fan and was hugely let down by Colonial Marines like many folk. Don't disappoint.

Looks very intense. But the october releasedate is a problem for me :/
oct 2 Forza Horizon 2 , oct 8 DriveClub, oct 14 The Evil Within.

Might grab it though. Loved the ALIEN movies.

Looks great.

Can't wait to see more.

What bothers me is that not all moving objects show up on the motion detector. Would be nice to see something moving, fearing for your life, only for it to be a fan, or some other harmless object.

How is the depth of field artificial? Immersion based effects are always going to be somewhat odd given you're staring at a screen and seeing the whole picture but the feature itself is realistic. Stare at your hand or a phone and pay attention to your peripheral vision. Everything is pretty blurry outside of what you're focusing on.

Top Bottom