• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7 minutes of Alien: Isolation gameplay (hardcore 'survivor' mode)

UberTag

Looks good but I'm unclear as to whether the pervasive controller screwups these Let's Play guys are having where they select the wrong thing repeatedly is due to poor gameplay design, thier nerves being shot or them sucking at games in general. I'm going to pretend it's the 3rd option.

Krejlooc

Banned
XvQG5pP.jpg

I seriously hope I give myself a heart attack with this

I dunno. The atmosphere looks nice, but the gameplay looks uninteresting. Plus, I picture aliens more slinking around in corners than lumbering around hallways like a patrolling guard

Looks great to me. Though I can already see the folks looking for action, coming into this game and walking away saying it's some boring hiding simulator.

cripterion

I dunno. The atmosphere looks nice, but the gameplay looks uninteresting. Plus, I picture aliens more slinking around in corners than lumbering around hallways like a patrolling guard

Indeed, I thought the footage looked stupid. As someone else said, this screams bomba.

first of all, I don't think alien isolation is a zero combat game. you get weapons and gadgets and stuff and there are things you fight against. I've seen videos where you get a gun, FPS style, and friggin shoot a synthetic man, and then throw a bomb at him and light him on fire. It's already well beyond Outlast.

second of all, Outlast sucked shit. I hate Outlast. I hate Outlast deeply. I don't hate the people who made Outlast, and I recognize their skill and talent, but the game design is BROKEN. it's FLAWED. A game like this brings tension from a FIGHT or FLIGHT decision. A choice. Should I try to fight? Maybe this will be a hard fight, or maybe I don't have enough ammo, maybe I should run instead. This choice -- This is the SOURCE of fear and suspense. A game like Outlast is just a carnival ride. It's scary for a bit, but after you realize there's nothing to it and the outcome of everything is the same and there are no actual choices, it becomes a boring, pointless, routine snore. The scares were 100% gone for me by hour 2. 100%.
you've "seen videos".*snicker*

first of all, I don't think alien isolation is a zero combat game. you get weapons and gadgets and stuff and there are things you fight against. I've seen videos where you get a gun, FPS style, and friggin shoot a synthetic man, and then throw a bomb at him and light him on fire. It's already well beyond Outlast.

second of all, Outlast sucked shit. I hate Outlast. I hate Outlast deeply. I don't hate the people who made Outlast, and I recognize their skill and talent, but the game design is BROKEN. it's FLAWED. A game like this brings tension from a FIGHT or FLIGHT decision. A choice. Should I try to fight? Maybe this will be a hard fight, or maybe I don't have enough ammo, maybe I should run instead. This choice -- This is the SOURCE of fear and suspense. A game like Outlast is just a carnival ride. It's scary for a bit, but after you realize there's nothing to it and the outcome of everything is the same and there are no actual choices, it becomes a boring, pointless, routine snore. The scares were 100% gone for me by hour 2. 100%.

I agree with this post quite a bit. So many horror games that are basically just a haunted house trip, really fuckin tired of it.

Sadly most people eat that shit up. People like pure "horror" over actual survival horror because they can roleplay and get all caught up in being scared without actually feeling any fear of not being able to beat something. If it was actually scary, that would imply some real challenge, and if you got real challenge ehhh might be a turn off!

DieH@rd

Banned
XvQG5pP.jpg

I seriously hope I give myself a heart attack with this

Retail game will not have Oculus support. Dev team just qickly prepared VR support for trade show promotions, and they said that there is no plan to officially support it.

Also, game needs to change few things before it can be VR friendly. Hand with radar is stuck in one position [in front of camera ALL THE TIME when you call it], which totally breaks immersion in VR. They need to decouple hands so that radar can be controlled via Hydra/Move controller.

Krejlooc

Banned
Retail game will not have Oculus support. Dev team just qickly prepared VR support for trade show promotions, and they said that there is no plan to officially support it.

Also, game needs to change few things before it can be VR friendly. Hand with radar is stuck in one position [in front of camera ALL THE TIME when you call it], which totally breaks immersion in VR. They need to decouple hands so that radar can be controlled via Hydra/Move controller.

The demo they prepared never had positional hand tracking in the first place, it simply mapped headtracking to the camera. I can easily replicate that with vorpx. Unlike most first person shooters, alien isolation is slow paced and doesnt benefit from decoupled controls. Its one of those rare games I feel confident recommending an injection driver for.

does anybody know if there are doing a psn digital preorder or at least a day 1 digital for this game? I saw something on tuesday that had it at 99.99 so i figured that was the game + season pass but I ran into an error when I clicked it.

game looks great though, cant wait for the 7th!

Audible

Banned
I wish there was a way to turn off commentary as it ruins the video for me, but I hope this game is good and does well.

Superflat

I'm so in love with the visuals and atmosphere. I really really hope they make the gameplay feel fun and fair. This is the most hope I've had for an Alien game (still keeping it tempered of course).

Miguel81

That Enemy Zero flashback that I just had, it was glorious. I'm really looking forward to playing this on Horror month. Couldn't watch the whole video, but it was enough to jazz me up.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
There was a moment where the player was just screwing up with the controller, but he survived so I didn't mind. Until, of course he had the alien right in front of him and thought of not hiding.

This stresses me a lot haha.

Was it just me or did the guy say something about switching focus back to the motion detector as if there is a button for switching your focus? Pretty cool to me if true!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Was it just me or did the guy say something about switching focus back to the motion detector as if there is a button for switching your focus? Pretty cool to me if true!

It seemed to me that you bring out the motion detector with the left trigger? I guess you can easily adjust focus with that.

Sojgat

Yeah, this vid sold me. Going to pre-order it today.

Same date as Shadow of Mordor here... No games, then too many at once.

The game looks gorgeous, but am I the only one who thinks it's just ridiculous to be hiding from the Alien and look at him from like 5 feet, run, open doors and etc when he's so close to you? This kills the gameplay for me, feels really dumb.

BashNasty

The game looks gorgeous, but am I the only one who thinks it's just ridiculous to be hiding from the Alien and look at him from like 5 feet, run, open doors and etc when he's so close to you? This kills the gameplay for me, feels really dumb.

I agree to some degree. I'm still very much looking forward to this, but that video undermines some of the "mystique" of the alien for me. Hopefully that's more of a challenge mode thing and less of a campaign thing.

LowParry

You guys watched the dev session from EGX yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZuDsrDNl58

Everyone really should watch this. Man, this gets me very hyped for the game now and it really shows that this game is very authentic. Love love love it.

Kinda. Maybe they could of gone the route of if it spots you from a close distance, it'd sit there staring at you ready to leap out once you moved but we'd probably get stuck in a game where we'd end up doing this over and over again. Or maybe just come right after you and you're forced to run. I think it will be fine.

DieH@rd

Banned

Maybe alien is ignoring doors because they open and close too many times. He is more attuned on hunting for "biological" sounds. Machines are of no interest for him.

Hopefully we will see few scenes of alien attacking those androids. :D

Maybe alien is ignoring doors because they open and close too many times. He is more attuned on hunting for "biological" sounds. Machines are of no interest for him.

Hopefully we will see few scenes of alien attacking those androids. :D

Come on. In the movies that creature is a freaking beast, there's no way he would be in the same room as a person and ignore it. Never.

TomRL

Banned
They have done an excellent job with the level aesthetic and sound design. Looks like you're actually in the original film. About time a game tried to do an Alien game based on the isolation and horror, not the action.

Really hope this turns out to be a gem.

Lrrr

You-Had-My-Curiosity.jpg

This game was on my radar because I'm a big fan of Alien, but I didn't know what to think of it. So many past games based on the IP contained potential, but none of them could truly capture the feeling of the films. That seems to have changed.

Top Bottom