• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A couple devs claim Switch patch sizes can be sometimes limited & other hurdles occur

geordiemp

You realize Devs are not making patches big just because they want to/are incompetent, right? The only fucking thing this bullshit requirement will ever accomplish will be abandoned Switch ports

Switch will get ports, just > 6 months after all patches on other systems IMO.

First party publishers can more afford to delay and polish longer, 3rd party need to release on schedule.

aBarreras

None of what I said is wrong.

What do you think Nintendo is doing with Splatoon and ARMS? Patching unfinished games.

in this same fucking thread, there were links to threads about late ports and how nintendo fans were happy about finally having these games coming to the system.

I dunno, the reaction to Shantae (twice), Rocket League, Minecraft, and this entire thread kind of prove this assertion wrong.

yeah splatoon and arms are unfinished games, holy shit

Scum

Ah. A Litmus test thread on a Friday. Welcome to the weekend, boys & girls!

None of what I said is wrong.

What do you think Nintendo is doing with Splatoon and ARMS? Patching unfinished games.

Antonio-Conte_These_Motherfuckers.png

Devs aren't inflating patch sizes for shits and giggles. It's not 2006 any more.

Yes they do, sometimes its only bad development tools that makes patches this big, but sometimes its lazy developers.

Its a good thing that developers must have good reasons to release patches with several gigabytes update when its only minor things that change.

Gaspard

I can kinda see where they're coming from with conserving what little space we have, but this does not bode well for ports.

Saty

If Nintendo can release an unfinished console, devs can release unfinished games for that console.

Seems like another example of the Switch being the worst of both worlds.

mclem

Struggling to comprehend exactly where the issue lies, because the description seems a bit confusing - part of it talks about patch size, part of it talks about game size. Are they just saying that Switch doesn't support diff patching? If that's the case, then I'm arguably with them - a system these days absolutely ought to handle patches via diffing. On top of that, though, there's the notion that the system isn't letting them reduce the space the game takes up, which both seems odd but also not actually something directly patch-related.

So, yeah. It sounds like they have valid complaints, but they're getting mired down a bit by the fact that I'm not entirely sure exactly what the complaint is.

To add a more serious, non-snarky reply, perhaps it would be a good idea to look at behaviour of the dev as well next to what they've been saying. Because so far these guys have been sending a mixed message. To put it mildly.

Going from 'it's just a small patch, look forward to it in the coming week' to 'man, we already had to get an exception for how big the patch is and we're gettin shit from the platform holder.' is a pretty big fuckin' leap if you ask me. Especially as other devs have been able to get patches and updates out on a more regular basis. Snakepass and Mr. Shifty (which took weeks. But still, it got them).

To me it just reads as a developer/publisher underestimating the demand on a given platform. Basically pushing it out because the platform holder wanted it(which is pretty dumb on Nintendo's part. Especially as they don't have problems with Minecraft, Rocket League, etc.) and then rushing to clean up the mess they've made.

TL;dr: Carelessness on the developers part is not a fault of the platformholder. Complaining that they have rules after you've made a mistake makes that pretty bad form.

Eolz

The title should be "Nintendo seems to be harshly limiting devs on Switch game patches' size" rather than the current one, which is implying it's closer to the issue of last gen where patches were a lot more expensive.

Still, pretty bad, but it sounds that it's something that Nintendo is aware of but is in no capacity to change right now. Not something done for the whole gen and/or that they don't want to change.
Wonder what is their current issue.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Nintendo doing Nintendo. Making dumb choice after dumb choice. I love my Switch but seriously even the Wii U didn't have this issue. Now Nintendo is going to be stricter with patch approval? What fucking year is it?
The fuckin year where inet providers still cap their customers' traffic?

They launched a game without online. How on earth did they not know this before hand? Oh we'll get everyone's money now and then figure it out later? And patches have gotten so fucking absurd. No reason shit should be so bug much of the time.

That said Nintendo just needs to let them roll out the stupid patch because they literally sold an incomplete game on the explicit promise of features they haven't delivered and Nintendo shouldn't have let this happen at all.

The title should be "Nintendo seems to be harshly limiting devs on Switch game patches' size" rather than the current one, which is implying it's closer to the issue of last gen where patches were a lot more expensive.

Still, pretty bad, but it sounds that it's something that Nintendo is aware of but is in no capacity to change right now. Not something done for the whole gen and/or that they don't want to change.
Wonder what is their current issue.
The issue is they shipped another console with 32gb storage. They never learn.

Sanjay

Release complete games, not early access games. They rushed released, its their own fault.

To get round this would be to release content as DLC and charge 99p to get round it.

Hubble

Wow. Another anti-third party, anti consumer policy by Nintendo and this time with patches, that are meant to improve the game. Wow. Just wow.

RedSwirl

I don't know man.

On one hand it sucks for a developer to be limited like this. On the other hand who actually expects what its essentially a portable system to come with 500GB of on-board storage? iPhones just got up to 256GB for the highest tier. Plus, on-the-go gaming probably introduces the expectation of quicker downloads. It's one of those areas where making a platform that tries to be a console and a handheld is a challenge. It's also why I don't see western publishers bringing their AAA games to Switch.

Maybe there should be some way for players to have more choice in terms of what they download. Forcing everybody to download dozens or hundreds of gigs of stuff for each game has been frustrating. I know this has mostly been because of ISPs, but for the time being game developers could at least try to work around the problem. I don't even think mainstream audiences would mind if they compressed their assets more -- digital movies and music have been compressing files for a while to clamp down on file sizes.

Ludist210

NBA Playgrounds is missing a full fucking feature that they're trying to patch in.

It's dumb that Nintendo's limiting patch sizes, but even dumber for devs to release an incomplete game.
I'm with you on this (at least for this game in particular). Saber said the patch would be ready within "a few days" of the game's launch on Switch, but now it's been almost two months. I'm not sure who's to blame here, Nintendo or Saber (probably lies somewhere in that gray area), but this is absurd.

Renna Hazel

If Nintendo can release an unfinished console, devs can release unfinished games for that console.

Seems like another example of the Switch being the worst of both worlds.

The console is actually finished and plays video games wonderfully. It's done so since launch, which was pretty nice.

zelas

Add them to the growing list of devs who are having issues with a variety of Nintendo's policies. It 2017, nobody should think a 3.5GB patch adding content to the game is too much. I know Nintendo wants devs to bring multiplatform games to their platform but it seems like they're asking them to create completely custom versions instead of on time ports.

Don't release broken games.,
Not having online support and wanting to patch it in makes it a broken game?

Neither of those games felt unfinished out of the box at all.
Maybe according to your standards. The critical consensus disagrees with you, especially with regards to ARMS.

patapuf

yeah splatoon and arms are unfinished games, holy shit

Adding content increases patch sizes. Whether that content was "missing" or not doesn't matter. It's a bigger patch.

It's why limiting patch sizes is dumb. It's why it was dumb for the 360 (where you even had to pay for the privilege of patching) and it's why it's dumb for the Switch.

Whatever "protection" people think this gives them from devs patching their game just means delays (or no patches at all, if it's too resource intensive).

bomblord1

Banned
I don't understand the part about being able to reduce the size to 3.5gb. Are they referring to the game or the patch? And if the game how does that work exactly? And why wouldn't switch not support it?

Raonak

Banned
How the fuck is this gonna work for games like Rocket League where it's constantly getting big, free, content updates?

Devs don't really directly control the patch size, that's often at the mercy of the engine and patching systems they're using.
No devs work with a size limit in mind, because it's impossible to know how big it will be beforehand.

Adding arbitary patch limits just means that devs would have to go back, and "unfix" stuff to make room. It's really stupid.

Especially for multiplatform games, they're essentially wanting a fully customised branch of the game. It's impractical to the point i could see devs just not even releasing updates.

mcrommert

Banned
Honestly, I don't have a problem with their policy. Devs have been releasing these insanely sized patches for a long time now and they need to cut that down. If it means more manageable patch sizes, then I'm all for it.

Oh look it's 2017

Third party support will continue to be crap on the Switch because of this nonsense

Pimpbaa

Yeah, so you can play games in native res instead of shitty upscaled 1440p or 4K. Do you think any 3D phone game actually renders at more than 720p?

Most 3D games on phones/tablets render at their native res (as in higher than 720p) for years now. Sure there are SOME high end games that really pushed phone hardware and run at sub native resolution as a result but those are the exception. Sub native resolutions really stick out on a 10" tablet, so it's easy to spot. This isn't applicable for the Switch however, games are generally pushing it's hardware far more plus the reduced clock speed in portable mode makes 720p a good screen for it.

The part about shrinking the whole game post release sounds very unprofessional, to be quite honest. We're talking about a non-install system here, hello? You shouldn't do stuff like that here, what are people with read only carts gonna do about them? Unless the game in question is digital only, in which case it sliiiiightly more understandable. Happened with Shovel Knight on 3DS if I remember correctly.

The Hermit

32GB is holding the system back.

I'm shocked.

Truly, I am.

No one could've seen that coming.

No it's not

Read the goddam OP.

Jesus, so much drive by shitposting.
If this board was really passionate about games, maybe we could discuss how the recent game patches are sometimes bigger than the base game and how we can solve this kind of issue. Everyone is on board of having portable games and whatnot, but few ask how.

But no, must defend/attack the company I love/hate.

Jamix012

Theyre talking about the size of the entire game, and rhe switch doesn't allow them to change the game's size.

They should have optimized the game before release...

I've been a bit disappointed with some of Nintendo's political decisions but fighting "patch culture" is actually a good thing imo. I don't think there should be a precedent for releasing games that aren't complete. Minor, unpredictable fixes, sure, but I don't hate that they're fighting the idea of patches being the norm.

synce

This is good, I wish Valve and others had a similar restriction. It would force developers to not rush their games and not use ridiculous patching systems. Certain games require a 10gb download for a minor fix because of how they're set up

Top Bottom