• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A note about Persona 5 Streaming From Atlus

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ironic. A game about people who look to change the world is being micromanaged in a draconian manner by the publisher of said game.

Doesn't matter though. Game will sell. Reviews are out. They won't feel any real negative impact from this.

Not sure if it hurts the sales or not, this game is for persona fans, so they will buy it.

And honestly, with the recent events on "popular youtubers", i think they are a dying breed, not to mention the group of youtubers that would actually want to stream p5

What fucking alternate universe do you live in?

Spence

No it's not, i'm voting with my wallet on an asinine decision that i don't agree on... it's pretty standard procedure actually.

I get what you are saying but I really doubt they would correlate any dip in sales to their streaming policy..

daxy

This is embarrassing and counter productive.

After watching 20+ hours of the endurance run I bought

Persona 3
Persona 3 portable
Persona 1 on psp
Persona 2 on psp

Persona Q
Persona arena
Persona 4
Persona 4 golden
Persona 5

Not to mention I bought other SMT/Atlus games I had never heard of or would have bothered to try like 2 ds games, and 2 3ds games.

If Atlus acted like this with Persona 4 they would have several hundred less of my dollars.

Yup. Wouldn't have bought the bolded if it wasn't for GiantBomb's endurance run.
Though, I would presume they could give 0 shits and do an ER of it anyway (not that they would) since they have their own media player.

Wah wah. I can't stream!

...How did you survive the past... 7-8 generations?

Irrelevant. Times have changed, and streaming has proven to basically be free advertising for games in order to get them to the top of the sales charts.

It's Atlus's perogative if they want to be this pants on head stupid, but it helps leave potential eyeballs and money off the table if they want Persona 5 to sell well.

Burnburn

You know, Atlus will obviously be monitoring this on twitch. So I was thinking it would be a pretty funny protest (and a way better one than posting spoilers) if everyone would name their stream "Persona 5" and then stream a different game. Can you imagine having to go through 1000+ streams all named "Persona 5" under many different games for 90% of them not to be Persona?

#EveryNameStreamPersona or some shit

The really confusing thing about all this is that they must assume that they're the first story-heavy game to ever be streamed or something. Gamers get alone fine with avoiding spoilers. ESPECIALLY on youtube.

No it's not, i'm voting with my wallet on an asinine decision that i don't agree on... it's pretty standard procedure, actually it should be more widespread.

It should be more wide spread. I love me some Persona but Atlus's actions aren't above criticism. Money is speech. Vote with your wallet if a company's products/practices bother you enough. Also write them an email or tweet them so they know the reason you aren't buying their product. They won't change if they don't hear enough criticism from consumers.

Mendrox

A lot of popular streamers I follow are not only gonna avoid streaming it now but they'll also point out how awful this policy is and people who could be interested and buy the game will not bother anymore.

I've seen so many people buy a game based on seeing it on stream. It's not like they watch the whole LP anyway. They watch the first hour or so and if it interests them, they'll pick it up. People who don't plan on buying it at all won't ever buy it anyway.

Nya now that I had some time to think about it...I've watched whole games on Twitch and Youtube and never bothered to buy them after that. Why would I if I experienced a story driven game? I can see that reason to be honest and Persona 5 lives from both sites (dungeon gameplay and story), but Atlus allows you to stream the dungeon gameplay.

Atlus at least is warning everybody that they will content id your shit on Youtube, where as Bamco just gave me a warning for Berseria (which is also not streamable over PS4).

Also funny that on NeoGAF there is always the suggestion for newcomers when a sequel releases that they should just watch a summary of the cutscenes on Youtube... :)

Wah wah. I can't stream!

...How did you survive the past... 7-8 generations?

giphy.gif

You know, Atlus will obviously be monitoring this on twitch. So I was thinking it would be a pretty funny protest (and a way better one than posting spoilers) if everyone would name their stream "Persona 5" and then stream a different game. Can you imagine having to go through 1000+ streams all named "Persona 5" under many different games for 90% of them not to be Persona?

#EveryNameStreamPersona or some shit

Then how do people find actual streams of Persona 5? Seems like this would only be helping them.

LiK

Nya now that I had some time to think about it...I've watched whole games on Twitch and Youtube and never bothered to buy them after that. Why would I if I experienced a story driven game? I can see that reason to be honest and Persona 5 lives from both sites (dungeon gameplay and story), but Atlus allows you to stream the dungeon gameplay.

Atlus at least is warning everybody that they will content id your shit on Youtube, where as Bamco just gave me a warning for Berseria (which is also not streamable over PS4).

Also funny that on NeoGAF there is always the suggestion for newcomers when a sequel releases that they should just watch a summary of the cutscenes on Youtube... :)

I know I will never buy a horror game so I will watch a full LP just to see how the story goes and for the streamer's reactions. But if it's for something I'm interested in, I will pick it up after seeing if it's good or not from a stream. Story-driven or not.

Sakujou

Banned
I would understand this complaint for a film, but for a game? I doubt there are significant amounts of people who only watch a game, and I definitely doubt this subset would even offset the group of people who get convinced by a let's play to try it themselves.

i mean this is already an aged discussion, most publisher have given up to restrict people from streaming, but i still believe, as a creator of content, it is your right to NOT let people stream your content.

this is their content, and they(Atlus) can deal with it the way they please.

i find it hardly acceptable how everyone demands free content on youtube.

i know a bunch of people who stopped buying games because everyone is now available on twitch/YT.

i dont even know how that is even enjoyable. i only watch trailers, but for them, youtube/twitch as their way of getting the immersion of the game is enough. i find this heartbreaking seeing people "playing" games like this. but then again, its the right of the streamers and the right of the watchers if they want to do it like that.

what i find really disgusting is the fact, when people start to shit on companies, who dont actually want their contents to be shared. if you create music, videos, games, and everything is shared for free online, i dont think that you are amused about the fact that you are not earning a penny.

yes, there are games which get a lot of revenue thanks to streamers/YT'ers, but those games are MP-focused. and this is what a lot of people dont understand.

Fancolors

To anyone defending this decision because you believe in the sanctity of spoilers, keep in mind that any relevant plot detail has been available pretty much everywhere since the Japanese release including playthroughs of that version being live translated into English, a lengthy Wikipedia article and an entire Wikia dedicated to it. Anyone who wants to be spoiled will get spoilers regardless of what Atlus wants.

In practicality, the only thing they achieved here is making sure the big Youtube channels and streamers won't be touching their game and a bot actively tweeting spoilers to people who don't want to get spoiled.

i mean this is already an aged discussion, most publisher have given up to restrict people from streaming, but i still believe, as a creator of content, it is your right to NOT let people stream your content.

i know a bunch of people who stopped buying games because everyone is now available on twitch/YT.

i dont even know how that is even enjoyable. i only watch trailers, but for them, youtube/twitch as their way of getting the immersion of the game is enough. i find this heartbreaking seeing people "playing" games like this. but then again, its the right of the streamers and the right of the watchers if they want to do it like that.

what i find really disgusting is the fact, when people start to shit on companies, who dont actually want their contents to be shared. if you create music, videos, games, and everything is shared for free online, i dont think that you are amused about the fact that you are not earning a penny.

yes, there are games which get a lot of revenue thanks to streamers/YT'ers, but those games are MP-focused. and this is what a lot of people dont understand.

Even though many people have proven that is bullshit? Why is Undertale so well regarded in the gaming zeitgeist? Life is Strange? Oxenfree even?

Come on, stop with this. There have been success stories of single player, story based games succeeding on the backs of streamers.

Oh wow. You don't seem to understand what YouTube, or possibly even the internet is.

Also: I don't believe you even a tiny bit.

LeleSocho

Banned

Sorry but this excuse of "people watch and don't buy" doesn't work, you ignore that the opposite is also true, i've seen lots of (single player since that's all i play) games from start to finish online then got out and bought them... games that i wouldn't have never considered before.

Mendrox

Sorry but this excuse of "people watch and don't buy" doesn't work, you ignore that the opposite is also true, i've seen lots of (single player since that's all i play) games from start to finish online then got out and bought them... games that i wouldn't have never considered before.

Yeah multiplayer games or games where your decisions change things for your story. But why would I buy a singleplayer story driven game after having seen the whole game? But I am also kind of a person that doesn't rewatch series and movies because there is so much content out there to consume.

Budi

Even though many people have proven that is bullshit? Why is Undertale so well regarded in the gaming zeitgeist? Life is Strange? Oxenfree even?

Come on, stop with this. There have been success stories of single player, story based games succeeding on the backs of streamers.

Excellent reviews is one reason for sure, 92 meta for Undertale. Life is Strange and Oxenfree got good critical reception also. And ofcourse people talk, in schools, at work, with friends, in forums. I can't deny that people wouldn't buy games also based on streams and let's plays, but nobody can deny that opposite happens too. Either I decide that this game doesn't seem to be my style or I just simply watch the whole game and after that have very little reason to buy it, if it's narrative focused title.

I rarely watch Let's plays and streams myself, but it has only made me skip games (Dear Esther and Last of Us) since I already saw it through. Never bought a game based on a stream, it can get me check reviews though if I've never heard about the title before and it seems interesting. But this rarely happens too, since I already follow the industry quite closely so there's nothing new for me to discover in streams and Let's plays. But ofcourse there are people who mainly find new games based on their favorite internet personalities.

I do find it funny that some people are boycotting the game because of this, with the reasoning that "they are dumb to do this since it would be free advertising to sell their game!" So people get angry with the pretense that they just want the game to be a success, while it's so easy for them to not support the game themselves and hurting the sales. If you are annoyed that you are missing out on content by your favorite internet personality, I get the frustration. But I don't think this is something anyone should be outraged about. There's plenty of other high quality games to stream.

Kinda reminds me when Yakuza 0 was released (in Japan) and had all its sharing functions disabled for the first playthrough. That said, at least for the Western release, they reversed the decision.

I think its hilarious though. Especially for those who are flustered because they can't make a ridiculous amount of money off sitting on their ass and playing this game in front of an audience.

LeleSocho

Banned
Yeah multiplayer games or games where your decisions change things for your story. But why would I buy a singleplayer story driven game after having seen the whole game? But I am also kind of a person that doesn't rewatch series and movies because there is so much content out there to consume.

Because what you see looks enjoyable and you want to enjoy it too? Did I really need to explain this?

In any case we are in 2017 and policies like this are idiotic, draconian and backwards, there is no single redeeming factor for neither the parts involved.

Budi

Because what you see looks enjoyable and you want to enjoy it too? Did I really need to explain this?

In any case we are in 2017 and policies like this are idiotic, draconian and backwards, there is no single redeeming factor for neither the parts involved.

But there's trailers and video reviews so you can see how the game looks and plays even without full playthroughs.

ironmang

They still sell other games too that someone may be interested in going back and purchasing. Plus how do you know if P5 is even on their radar if not for a streamer? Tuning in, seeing them play for some time, then going out and buying isn't uncommon.

Mendrox

No you didnt habe to explain it because it wasnt about watching some of the game like with a review but rather watching the full experience in a game where you wouldnt be able to See more content by playing yourself. Most people wont bother then. Well iam like this. I watched the whole Zero escape trilogy and wont bother buying these games even though this series needs sales because i experienced everything.

Also you are allowed to stream Persona 5 with gameplay so your scenario works in that case.

marrec

Banned
But there's trailers and video reviews so you can see how the game looks and plays even without full playthroughs.

I don't think you understand how people find games these days.

What happens is:

Their favorite Youtuber/Twitcher uploads a new video titled "Lets Play: Persona 5! Episode 1" and they watch it and go "holy shit this game looks bad fucking ass" and end up buying it.

You'd be surprised how many people are getting their game discovery from social media these days.

Hell I convinced 3 different people to buy Dungeon Siege 3 by streaming it.

It's my greatest shame.

bomblord1

Banned
Ironic. A game about people who look to change the world is being micromanaged in a draconian manner by the publisher of said game.

Doesn't matter though. Game will sell. Reviews are out. They won't feel any real negative impact from this.

Secret cry for help from the devs?

I won't lie and pretend to care or boycott but it seems like Sony should really be working with devs and streamers to come up with a solution. There is a 'Share' button on the controller for Christ's sake.

Maybe they could just flag this game so it doesn't show up in public views but if you're following a streamer or friends with someone you could still watch? That way there's no risk of accidentally being spoiled. Otherwise you should advertise that sharing feature is limited months in advance if you just want to block that feature.

ironmang

But there is. But not on the whole game, so scenarios where people watch streams and buy the game will still happen even though people are acting like it's impossible now.

Why would streamers even show this game now? They could just go with some other good game that isn't trying to normalize policies that attack their livelihood.

marrec

Banned
But there is. But not on the whole game, so scenarios where people watch streams and buy the game will still happen even though people are acting like it's impossible now.

Nah, multiple streamers/LPers have publicly said they're skipping Persona 5, Atlus' language has put a cloud over the entire thing.

There are people who will stream it in protest, sure, but Atlus' statement has thrown a wet blanket over the excitement in the community.

Jindrael

Banned
I have bought P5 twice now (jap and eng) and am really pissed about that decision...

I like watching people enjoy the stuff I enjoy.
I have a few streamer I like to follow for RPGs because they have valid opinions about the game and was planning to stay ahead about 1 dungeon of them at all time to be able to catch their streams.

Now I won't be able to watch their streams after the third dungeon because Atlus is living in bizarro world..

This decision all but killed most of the streaming community of Persona already which is just bad for the game.

Budi

But in this hypothetical scenario, the streamer is the one who introduces the game to the person.

I don't think you understand how people find games these days.

Yeah, I have no idea how far into the game that 7/7 is, but I guess people can still stream for several hours, maybe even ten? Do streamers typically do full playthroughs of single-player games? I admitted in my earlier post that I'm bit out of touch with these things since I don't have kids of my own and I'm personally still sticking to reviews, articles and discussions myself to get information about a game. I find it to be more effective and accurate way. But I'm well aware that people buy games because of streamers, I partly blame popular streamers for the oversaturation of that crafting and survival shit in Steam. Those wouldn't sell that well based on reviews (or previews since most of those are Early Access), but giving out free codes to streamers guarantees atleast some sales.

Yeah, I have no idea how far into the game that 7/7 is, but I guess people can still stream for several hours, maybe even ten? Do streamers typically do full playthroughs of single-player games? I admitted in my earlier post that I'm bit out of touch with these things since I don't have kids of my own and I'm still sticking to reviews, articles and discussions myself to get information about a game. But I'm well aware that people buy games because of streamers, I partly blame popular streamers for the oversaturation of that crafting and survival shit in Steam. Those wouldn't sell that well based on reviews, but giving out free codes to streamers guarantees atleast some sales.
I've played 5 hours and I'm still in the first month, I'm sure 7/7 is plenty of time.

Venfayth

What? Are you guys for real? Am I misunderstanding something?

You're basically saying the restrictions don't matter because people are still streaming the beginning of the game.

How does that logic address with any of the actual problems Atlus' decision has created?

Top Bottom