• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A note about Persona 5 Streaming From Atlus

marrec

Banned
I've played 5 hours and I'm still in the first month, I'm sure 7/7 is plenty of time.

Needless restrictions are inevitably going to lead to people who would normally stream it just skipping it all together. Especially more professional streamers. You're anecdotal evidence of "but people are streaming it now!" is in spite of Atlus' threats.

Budi

I've played 5 hours and I'm still in the first month, I'm sure 7/7 is plenty of time.

Interesting, I guess this allows streaming for multiple days then. Especially when the gameplay halts constantly for the streamer to acknowledge their donations and subs ;P

Jindrael

Banned
Needless restrictions are inevitably going to lead to people who would normally stream it just skipping it all together. Especially more professional streamers. You're anecdotal evidence of "but people are streaming it now!" is in spite of Atlus' threats.

Correct! I know a few streamer who already said they won't touch the game for now because it is just way too much of a hassle.

Even some people that waited especially for that game to stream it have jumped the wagon.

Budi

Yes I know this. Why some are still doing it I don't understand.

Why wouldn't they, maybe they like the game and want to share it with their fans. Or they know Persona 5 is hot atm and it's a good way to get some views.

It's not "all or nothing" for everyone.

marrec

Banned
Correct! I know a few streamer who already said they won't touch the game for now because it is just way too much of a hassle.

Even some people that waited especially for that game to stream it have jumped the wagon.

Yep, know a half-dozen people who make their livings doing this that have scrapped plans to stream it based on this and Twitch's statement.

It's not worth the hassle when there are a ton of other games that are more easily streamed without needless restrictions.

tbh I wouldn't be that fussed if taking screenshots on ps4 wasn't also disabled.

That plus this = fuck atlas. Even if I have no interesting in streaming or watching a stream of p5 their disdain towards people paying for their game is disgusting.

I literally would have never gotten into Persona without watching DansGaming stream P4G a couple of years ago.

Very stupid decision from Altus.

Well it's not really anecdotal is it. Anyone can go to YT and Twitch to see it's being played.

Yes I know this. Why some are still doing it I don't understand.
I'm glad for it, it's still a great game that I'm sure makes for an entertaining play through.

Hybris

Have they ever done something this bizarre with any of their other titles? I'm new-ish to Atlus games on release. This is is completely backwards and insane.

Modoru

tbh I wouldn't be that fussed if taking screenshots on ps4 wasn't also disabled.

That plus this = fuck atlas. Even if I have no interesting in streaming or watching a stream of p5 their disdain towards people paying for their game is disgusting.

latest
what did atlas ever do to you

marrec

Banned
I don't think most of them have reached 7/7 yet.

Most people don't want to deal with the archaic restrictions, is the point we're trying to get across.

Atlus said:
-You can post however many additional videos you'd like, but please limit each to be at most 90 minutes long.

-No major story spoilers, and I'll leave that up to your good judgment. If you need some guidelines, avoid showing/spoiling the ending segments of the first three palaces. While you can show initial interactions with Yusuke, avoid his awakening scene, and that whole deal about THE painting. Also, don't post anything about a certain student investigator.

-I know I mentioned not showing the end of each palace, but you can grab footage from the Kamoshida boss fight. However, don't capture video from the other major boss fights.

-Must not focus solely on cutscenes/animated scenes, should prominently feature dungeon crawling/spending time in Tokyo.

-You can post straight gameplay or have commentary.

These are needless and incentivise most streamers away from Persona 5. Of course, some people will still stream it, that was never in question.

Especially since Twitch ambiguously said "Please follow Atlus' guidelines for streaming" which means, if I'm streaming a boss fight on Twitch, will my channel get suspended? Fuck I dunno. What the fuck is "THE Painting"? Who the fuck is Yusuke? It's impossible to livestream this game without prior knowledge.

Gestahl

I wish they didn't reveal the cutoff date. That was just moronic.

The 7/7 date is almost completely arbitrary and barely means anything since there are so many other restrictions and rules being imposed in Atlus' warning letter to the world at large that people can be hit for just about any reason before the cutoff.

marrec

Banned
The 7/7 date is almost completely arbitrary and barely means anything since there are so many other restrictions and rules being imposed in Atlus' warning letter to the world at large that people can be hit for just about any reason before the cutoff.

Also, if you did try to contrive a way to follow the guidelines, it would completely destroy the normal flow when you have to cut and show a card saying "I CAN'T SHOW YOU THIS BECAUSE ATLUS WILL KILL ME"

jwillenn

Question. Can we at least record/save the video with the PS4, or is that also blocked along with sharing it?

I think you're missing the other part, the streaming rule of 7/7 is in addition to the other hard limits - no major story spoilers, no showing any major palace bosses after the first, no showing the events that happen after the first palace, no showing basically anything to do with Yusuke etc. etc.

Depending what they determine as "major story spoilers", that could be as little as 4-5 hours into the game, but even if they are super lax about that you can be done with the first palace around the 10 hour mark. Streamers can't just stop the stream whenever anything major takes place after that, so anyone who plays past the opening of Persona 5 on stream will be breaking the shitty rules. And again, speedrunners are screwed.

Atlus deserves all of the ire they are getting for this, but what about Sony? Why do they allow publishers to mass disable all of the share features, including simple saving a screenshot for yourself? It'd be like if Atlus decided that party chat or an internet connection would be disabled when playing their game. It's a fundamental system feature and whether you can use it should not be up to a publisher.
Copyright reasons I imagine. Sword Art Online Re:Hollow Fragment used the opening of the original series at the start of the game and that part was blocked from being shared. But just like with the PS3 region locking, Atlus Japan have to find ways to abuse these options out of paranoia.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Atlus deserves all of the ire they are getting for this, but what about Sony? Why do they allow publishers to mass disable all of the share features, including simple saving a screenshot for yourself? It'd be like if Atlus decided that party chat or an internet connection would be disabled when playing their game. It's a fundamental system feature and whether you can use it should not be up to a publisher.

jwillenn

^I see. :(

Welp, I may go on and get an Elgato
or
just capture some gameplay using my cam so I'll have a bit of my P5 experience to reflect on...

marrec

Banned
I think you're missing the other part, the streaming rule of 7/7 is in addition to the other hard limits - no major story spoilers, no showing any major palace bosses after the first, no showing the events that happen after the first palace, no showing basically anything to do with Yusuke etc. etc.

Depending what they determine as "major story spoilers", that could be as little as 4-5 hours into the game, but even if they are super lax about that you can be done with the first palace around the 10 hour mark. Streamers can't just stop the stream whenever anything major takes place after that, so anyone who plays past the opening of Persona 5 on stream will be breaking the shitty rules. And again, speedrunners are screwed.

I mean, imagine streaming this on Twitch and suddenly having your account suspended for some story spoiler that you didn't even know about. Add on to that if you make your living from streaming on Twitch, now you're out revenue for however long you've been suspended, plus the lost revenue of unsubs.

FHIZ

I'm just wondering, with Twitch complying with this nonsense, what if someone just streamed to Beam or something? Would they be as quick to pull shit down?

But yeah... I wish I could take screenshots with my PS4. Total bullshit.

I do think Sony fucked up by ever telling publishers they could have control of streaming.

Should have been part of the presentation day one: everything streams now, you just have to deal with it, or don't publish here.

LeleSocho

Banned
No you didnt habe to explain it because it wasnt about watching some of the game like with a review but rather watching the full experience in a game where you wouldnt be able to See more content by playing yourself. Most people wont bother then. Well iam like this. I watched the whole Zero escape trilogy and wont bother buying these games even though this series needs sales because i experienced everything.

Also you are allowed to stream Persona 5 with gameplay so your scenario works in that case.
Your scenario works only with VNs or title with literally 0 gameplay then and only then it's ok to consider that people watching a playthrough could seriously hurt sales.

But there's trailers and video reviews so you can see how the game looks and plays even without full playthroughs.
You are a very dense person if you don't understand the difference between a trailer/ review and a LP/streamed playthrough

It is weird how some people are acting like this is a full blown ban rather than past a certain section.

But there is. But not on the whole game, so scenarios where people watch streams and buy the game will still happen even though people are acting like it's impossible now.

It doesn't matter if it's the whole game or just 10 minutes, going after people streaming DOESN'T-MAKE-ANY-SENSE-AND-SHOULD-NOT-BE-ENCOURAGED.
Also let's remember that Atlus actually heavily discouraged to stream everything past the first palace which is the first thing you do in the game also they don't want you to share any cutscene or any boss regardless how early game it is. So it's not like they only want to avoid late game stuff they just don't want you to stream at all.

The point that there is people streaming it right now also doesn't make sense because they are either A) making it in spite of Atlus and using workarounds to put it on the net safely or B) doing so unknowingly of this insanity, i myself i streamed my first and only 3 hours of the game yesterday because i didn't knew any better and if didn't read this i would have been probably banned in a few days.
Who right in their mind would want to do and put online a playthrough of only roaming in the school and other secondary places? Aside the logistical nightmare no one would want to watch or even play it.

Why is this always with Japan?

Because for structural reasons most Japanese game companies have upper management who have no understanding of the global marketplace, no incentive to learn more, and no limitations on their ability to implement arbitrarily draconian policies about things.

And honestly, with the recent events on "popular youtubers", i think they are a dying breed

This is like the new version of "mobile games are a fad," I guess.

Many people worked hard on the game, don't see a need to deny a sale to them because of a stupid corporate decision like this.

I'll be sending you a list of every product currently on the market produced by people who worked hard and I'll expect to see the receipts for your purchases by the end of the week.

The really confusing thing about all this is that they must assume that they're the first story-heavy game to ever be streamed or something. Gamers get alone fine with avoiding spoilers. ESPECIALLY on youtube.

It's in all likelihood people who literally have no idea what streaming is, how it works, or who does it making a decision about something after having it explained to them briefly by someone 40 years younger.

Graciaus

Here is a thought: Don't watch streams if you don't want spoilers. Who is even watching streams? Just play the damn game we waited long enough. I don't care at all about no streaming but I still think it's dumb.

marrec

Banned
Here is a thought: Don't watch streams if you don't want spoilers. Who is even watching streams? Just play the damn game we waited long enough. I don't care at all about no streaming but I still think it's dumb.

Here's the thing about games I love. Not only will I stream them out while I'm playing them, but I'll also then watch other people stream them. Cause I literally cannot consume enough content about the game to be happy and also want to talk to other people who are enjoying the game.

It's a great way to bring a lot of community to these games.

It's in all likelihood people who literally have no idea what streaming is, how it works, or who does it making a decision about something after having it explained to them briefly by someone 40 years younger.

"It functions as free, word-of-mouth advertising." Doesn't really seem like a hard concept to get across. Expanding into the mobile market space, and how to do it properly, seems like a much harder concept to get across and Japan has been going big into mobile.

Budi

You are a very dense person if you don't understand the difference between a trailer/ review and a LP/streamed playthrough

What makes you think I don't see any differences? The differences are the reason I prefer reviews myself to just a stream or let's play.

You said "Because what you see looks enjoyable and you want to enjoy it too? Did I really need to explain this?" Full playthrougs aren't the only option to see a game, you understand that I'm sure. Full playthroughs are more in benefit of the streamer and their audience, it's not the publishers responsibility to make sure that someone can make a buck by using their product. There's plenty of ways to discover a game and get a good understanding of what it is. What Atlus is doing is restricting these ways a bit yes, but it's hardly a problem.

marrec

Banned
What makes you think I don't see any differences? The differences are the reason I prefer reviews myself to just a stream or let's play.

You said "Because what you see looks enjoyable and you want to enjoy it too? Did I really need to explain this?" Full playthrougs aren't the only option to see a game, you understand that I'm sure. Full playthroughs are more in benefit of the streamer and their audience, it's not the publishers responsibility to make sure that someone can make a buck by using their product. There's plenty of ways to discover a game and get a good understanding of what it is. What Atlus is doing is restricting these ways a bit yes, but it's hardly a problem.

Streaming/LPing is absolutely a symbiotic relationship between content creators.

Most pubs/devs understand that the advertising and good will generated by these communities heavily outweigh the hypothetical lost revenue.

inner-G

Banned
I'm just wondering, with Twitch complying with this nonsense, what if someone just streamed to Beam or something? Would they be as quick to pull shit down?

But yeah... I wish I could take screenshots with my PS4. Total bullshit.

Facebook Live? Can you livestream on sites like VEVO or DailyMotion? (Honestly don't mess with them much)

Well it's not really anecdotal is it. Anyone can go to YT and Twitch to see it's being played.

It's getting streamed less than Darkest Dungeon right now. It's also the second day of release and it's dropped to about 1/3 the total viewers it had before the announcement.

Budi

Streaming/LPing is absolutely a symbiotic relationship between content creators.

Most pubs/devs understand that the advertising and good will generated by these communities heavily outweigh the hypothetical lost revenue.

Yeah it's true, but it's just not full playthrough coverage that makes some sales. It's any free coverage at all. Like aren't Pewdiepie videos usually very heavily edited and not uninterrupted gameplay from start to finish? People can watch a stream for just 3 hours and buy the game at that point. They don't need the whole 40 hours with every nook and cranny already explored before they get into the game themselves.

And I think it's great if publishers are open with their products and let people share them. But it's not their responsibility, they are free to do what they think would benefit them the most. And apparently Atlus Japan thinks this is the right choice for THEM. Maybe they are wrong, since it's indeed clear that some games got huge boosts by big internet personalities. But I'm certain that it's the smaller games that benefit the most, like Shower with your dad or Who's your daddy. These games need the exposure more. Not saying it couldn't help Persona, I'm mostly just baffled how angry this gets people.

marrec

Banned
Yeah it's true, but it's just not full playthrough coverage that makes some sales. It's any free coverage at all. Like aren't Pewdiepie videos usually very heavily edited and not uninterrupted gameplay from start to finish? People can watch a stream for just 3 hours and buy the game at that point. They don't need the whole 40 hours with every nook and cranny already explored before they get into the game themselves.

Some YouTubers don't do full Let's Plays, yes. You're still limiting the reach of your game however and even the ones who could make a sensible video out of the restrictions (Like PDP) may skip it because it's too much hassle and restricts their creative process.

Why even do it if the restrictions are so narrow?

ironmang

If someone is streaming for 40 hours though it's more likely you'll see that 3 hour chunk or whatever leads to your decision to buy. If a small number of streamers are only showing a small chunk of the game it's less likely to be seen. And some people have a bigger attachment to streamers than they do some faceless publisher so they might just not buy it because they're implementing policies that directly hurt the streamers they like.

That's their problem.

Your boycott having zero effect because your message was not conveyed seems like it would be more of a problem for your own interests than theirs. Assuming you're really boycotting in order to change their future policies, and not simply throwing a tantrum, of course.

Lothars

And I think it's great if publishers are open with their products and let people share them. But it's not their responsibility, they are free to do what they think would benefit them the most. And apparently Atlus Japan thinks this is the right choice for THEM. Maybe they are wrong, since it's indeed clear that some games got huge boosts by big internet personalities. But I'm certain that it's the smaller games that benefit the most, like Shower with your dad or Who's your daddy. These games need the exposure more.
There's no maybe, they are wrong. They may be free to do what they like but it shows how out of touch they are.

At this point I'm going to start streaming the game out of spite alone.

edit: I can deal with the contentID strike. the threat of account restriction/suspension is a lot more scary.

mhayes86

Is the excuse to protect others from being spoiled just another way of telling people that if they want to see what happens, then to buy the game?

I wonder if this backlash will cause Atlus to back down, because this is stupid.

Budi

Some YouTubers don't do full Let's Plays, yes. You're still limiting the reach of your game however and even the ones who could make a sensible video out of the restrictions (Like PDP) may skip it because it's too much hassle and restricts their creative process.

Why even do it if the restrictions are so narrow?

Well it's their job to cover games. Ofcourse they are free to choose what they want to cover as independent creators, but aren't restrictions like these more common in traditional games media? Like what they can show in their video review? I think atleast Phantom Pain had plenty of restrictions like this. Aren't there often some guidelines with the review copy sent. So the "professionals" have been and are still doing it. Or is this something that really doesn't happen anymore? But yeah, I can see these restrictions making the coverage less appealing to do if you aren't used to editing videos and really don't want to bother with that. Simple streaming is so much easier and effortless.

If someone is streaming for 40 hours though it's more likely you'll see that 3 hour chunk or whatever leads to your decision to buy. If a small number of streamers are only showing a small chunk of the game it's less likely to be seen. And some people have a bigger attachment to streamers than they do some faceless publisher so they might just not buy it because they're implementing policies that directly hurt the streamers they like.

I guess, games do have their highlights. Like some games can start really weak and if the beginning hours is all I see, that hurts the impression I get from the game. But that's exactly one of the reasons I personally rather check out reviews since they cover the entire game and it's quality. Gives me better understanding of the overall product. But yeah, you have a point. That attachment to a streamer I really haven't even thought of. But definitely sounds like something that does happen, considering the worship and idolization that we see with internet personas.

Top Bottom