• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC UNITY patch worsens NPC pop-in. Ubisoft actually puts in new spawning animation.

Nzyme32

This is amazingly hilarious. It was the pesky animus glitching out all along. UbiSoft can give up on making improvements and fixes now. Wonderful!

I played a significant chunk of the game last night on Xbox One and haven't noticed any issues... There was a chase scene that looked like it was going to stutter but smoothed out

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I don't think I've ever seen the major pop in on building details before. Pretty sure I would have noticed it considering it's pretty jarring.
I'm not seeing more than the usual amounts of pops. The game has so many variables that it's hard to get a definitive answer on a lot of things.

majik13

Not sure if this was brought up again, but did anyone find out or did they explain why the clothes change on NPCs in such close proximity? Doesn't make sense to me to have a character reload or change when it's already loaded.

Its just bad LOD(Level of Detail). Seems they have less variety in NPCs the further away they are. As they get closer their detail and clothes become more unique. Basically the distant lower detail NPCs are just more generic base models. This is just my observation, I havent played the game yet.

Probabaly saves on memory/bandwidth doing this. Otherwise, if its not that, thern its just janky design and/or code.

rBose

Banned
Its just bad LOD(Level of Detail). Seems they have less variety in NPCs the further away they are. As they get closer their detail and clothes become more unique. Basically the distant lower detail NPCs are just more generic base models. This is just my observation, I havent played the game yet.

Probabaly saves on memory/bandwidth doing this. Otherwise, if its not that, thern its just janky design and/or code.

Every game has this technology built in, it's meant to reduce the resources.

In Parity it is more "cinametic and next gen"

Crossing Eden

Game gives the first 100 or so npcs full detail while the rest use simpler models and rigs that get more complex as the player gets closer. First 100 npcs.

cormack12

Gold Member

I played in a few betas of this and left appropriate feedback. I've no idea why the LoD is so aggressive. To put it into context, you could lean against the wall with an NPC next to you. Just rotate the camera to a few different angles like one flat, one high and one low and you'd see different clothes spawn. At first I thought it was just fine detail, but the actual clothing changed from colour to seam design. LoD should not be loading or changing that close to the player.

With regards to the OP, I think they always had the white polygonal mesh when the engine was spawning in NPC's. I certainly remember it from ACIII round New York and Boston. It looks like it spawns in faster now. A couple of other points:

:: Plenty of people reporting not seeing the same issues. Such a mix of hard disks out there will be unlikely to pin it down as a performance factor I guess.
:: It seems to be exacerbated by running/sprinting - fair comment?
:: Weird how other NPC's in the *.webm are already there

Shame really, some gifs and webm's make the environment look amazing, but the beta annoyed me so much I know these problems will prevent me enjoying the game :/

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I haven't seen anything like that in my game, pop in looks exactly how it did pre-patch to me (PS4)

The_Ur_Quan

BioWare Dev
I've been playing the 4th patch for a good few hours, ran across one end of Paris to the other on general principle, both in narrow alleys and wide open streets (especially open areas where pop-ins and issues are inherently easier to spot in any game, not just Unity) and the game is noticeably smoother than ever, even more than the 3rd patch's vast improvements. Launch was terrible, but speaking for myself and a few of my colleagues and friends who have been following up on the patches, the experience has only gotten better.

kriskrosbbk

Ubisoft has to be obsoleted or to move forward doing something else .Like
11452087.jpg

majik13

Every game has this technology built in, it's meant to reduce the resources.

In Parity it is more "cinametic and next gen"

well yes I know. But ussually most games LOD is using a unique model for every model, and they just lower the detail and quality of each model the further it is. But what I was pointing out, In Unity it seems to use a different approuch. So instead it uses the same more generic model across many different unique NPCs. thus why in this game the jump is more jaring and drastic than other games, and you see things like clothes, and textures having drastic changes. Basically there are is something like a pool of 20 low quality generic models, that are used on 50 unique higher quality models.(numbers are just as an example)
I was just pointing out that this way it likely frees up even more resources than how many other games do it. As I personally havent seen other games use this approuch. Likely as other games haven't had so may NPCs on screen as this.

pretty sure I have seen this before awhile back, but the video wont play for me now, or just keeps locking up. I remeber them saying that the AI is dumber or less complex the further back, but dont recall them mentioning anything special or out of the ordinary about their appearance or why the LOD jump is so jarring, other than standard HD LOD stuff.

Crossing Eden

well yes I know. But ussually most games LOD is using a unique model for every model, and they just lower the detail and quality of each model the further it is. But what i was pointing out, In Unity it seems to use a different approuch. so instead it uses the same more generic model across many different NPCs. thus why in this game the jump is more jaring and drastic than other games.
I was just pointing out that this way it likely frees up even more resources than how many other games do it.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...crowd-assembled-in-assassins-creed-unity.aspx
This article elaborates on how they handled AI.

Clockwork

I posted earlier in this thread that I was not seeing the extreme pop-in noted in the OP.

I just got done playing some more but recorded a clip. Although there is still pop-in, it is nothing like is being discussed and is pretty much the same as it has always been.

http://youtu.be/0eg9msIHeZE

Tizoc

The first video kinda made it look...cool.
Like the animus was overloaded and was materializing the NPCs in said location.

Clockwork

It would be nice to see some update/clarification from in the OP as this appears to be an anomaly on their end based on my prior post with video.

fernoca

It would be nice to see some update/clarification from in the OP as this appears to be an anomaly on their end based on my prior post with video.
Others has reported similar experiences to yours (myself included) and Crossing posted a video too (but "lol Yes account doesn't count").

So, maybe like the other threads when things calm down a bit and the fire goes down. Right now this thread, the 40GB bug/patch for Xbox One and Tetris having problems...are just adding more fire. :p

Chabbles

I haven't had anymore npc's appear out of nowhere as i run into them, in around 3 more hours of gameplay since. But the pop-in is there. And the vid you posted has alot of pop-in too, specially in the second have of the vid. Plus i've noticed its harder to see the pop with low light ingame, much easier to see when the sun is shining bright.

Idk for sure if the pop-in is worse or not, it certainly seemed to be when i booted up after the patch, but i was specifically looking for it.(it was pretty bad before hand either way in fairness), and i might of worded my comment differently if i knew someone was going to make a thread from it. But thats besides the point that the pop-in has been in the game always and its brutal.

Jito

Banned
Eh, I'm glad I've got a more stable frame rate now at the cost of more pop in. I found it pretty unplayable with all the frame drops before so now I can actually get around to playing it.

Clockwork

I haven't had anymore npc's appear out of nowhere as i run into them, in around 3 more hours of gameplay since. But the pop-in is there. And the vid you posted has alot of pop-in too, specially in the second have of the vid. Plus i've noticed its harder to see the pop with low light ingame, much easier to see when the sun is shining bright.

Idk for sure if the pop-in is worse or not, it certainly seemed to be when i booted up after the patch, but i was specifically looking for it.(it was pretty bad before hand either way in fairness), and i might of worded my comment differently if i knew someone was going to make a thread from it. But thats besides the point that the pop-in has been in the game always and its brutal.

Yeah, but the OP and thread title give the distinct impression that it's pretty much as horrible as the initial example given when that simply is not the case. I have yet to replicate that error and have found no instances where it is remotely that bad, yet the majority of replies have taken it as gospel.

I liken it to the other thread when the prior patch came out and people were lead to believe they lowered the IQ in some way only to find out later that wasn't exactly true.

Even you said in 3 hours of play since you have not seen the issue. If that's the case then it probably shouldn't be used as an example.

Hawkmosis

Banned
This is fucking ridiculous, Ubisoft have disappointed me so much this year.
So i go to install the new patch on the new Xbox one, bam 40 fucking gigs, whole re-download and install basically.

I can't have that shit, look at my internet LOOOK AT IT!: http://belco.bc.ca/

Standard $60.00

-40GB of Data
-Speeds Up to:
5.0 Mbps Download
1.0 Mbps Upload
-Overages: $2.00 Per Gig

40 gigs is B.S. is anyone know if that will be fixed or am i screwed?

I would ask for a refund right now if i had a hope in hell of getting one. Never have I been so mad at a game company.....im extra mad because Farcry 4 PC won't let me join friends games.

So i go to install the new patch on the new Xbox one, bam 40 fucking gigs, whole re-download and install basically.

Standard $60.00

-40GB of Data
-Speeds Up to:
5.0 Mbps Download
1.0 Mbps Upload

I would ask for a refund right now if i had a hope in hell of getting one. Never have I been so mad at a game company.....im extra mad because Farcry 4 PC won't let me join friends games.

For what it's worth, at that download speed, you may roll into the next billing period before it's close to being done.

iNvid02

Standard $60.00

-40GB of Data
-Speeds Up to:
5.0 Mbps Download
1.0 Mbps Upload

delete the installed game from hard drive and patch will be normal size

that's the workaround for time being iirc

I've got NPCs running around inside houses that can't get out. They'll eventually disappear after about 5 seconds though. Poor people are terrified. :(

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I've got NPCs running around inside houses that can't get out. They'll eventually disappear after about 5 seconds though. Poor people are terrified. :(

Not a bug. Unity is also Ubisoft's Sims competitor.

Please don't kill me for necro-ing but I still am not able to post new threads and this is the most recent AC:U patch thread I could find:-

I am interested to know how much more playable and how much better this game runs, specifically on PS4, since the horrible scores it got back on release, and if there is any reason to continue holding off for further improvements before buying?

Mods please delete as necessary if unacceptable necro but don't hit me pls.

gossi

Please don't kill me for necro-ing but I still am not able to post new threads and this is the most recent AC:U patch thread I could find:-

I am interested to know how much more playable and how much better this game runs, specifically on PS4, since the horrible scores it got back on release, and if there is any reason to continue holding off for further improvements before buying?

The game got patch development support for.. two months? 6 weeks? Can't remember. Anyhoo - it basically works, but it clearly has technical issues still. It's playable.

I haven't been following it but I'd be shocked if they're planning any further improvements.

It's easy to find cheap now, if you're interested in it just play it.

Danneee

The OT would probably have been a better choice of thread to ask in.
As for your question, that I can't answer. I'm keeping my distance from everything AC or UBI:)

Top Bottom