• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice SPOILER Thread | Yes, episode 5 actually happened

I mean in more in the fact that if channeling is an accepted part of society then you think it would play a bigger part in the actual murder cases. Being able to assume the identity of a dead person seems like an extremely big deal as far as forensics concern.

Of course, I don't remember the older games too well now but I felt the whole spiritual stuff was more for "flavor" and rarely had plot importance aside from the few cases that involved that community. Yeah, they introduced the Psyche Lock thing but that could have been replaced with anything (like it was with Apollo's bracelet) and things wouldn't be too different.

It was never accepted as part of their society. They never proved chanelling to be reliable through DL-6 either. Besides, there's only 2 chanellers in the country (
and the 3rd who appears and end up dead in AA3 anyway
) and they're both kids.

But chanelling was was always honestly a big element of the series, central plot point in both 1 and 3 (both last cases begin with Maya wanting to train more and not being able to control her channeling) and in 2 where they try to estabilish how they would handle judgement if someone got possessed and killed another person. It showed a more pragmatic approach to it too, as a means of relaying information to Phoenix via Maya and then Pearl.

AA4 tried to fill that void with magic, AA feels kinda empty without a supernatural element.

D-Man

Finished the game on Friday but haven't posted my impressions so I guess I'll do that now:

Game was a lot better than what I was expecting. I'm part of the minority that really enjoyed Dual Destinies, but I gotta say that SoJ absolutely demolished it. Story was better, animations were better, it was just a better experience in my book (even though the framerate stuttered way too much in some parts).

Apollo was never my favorite character. I was always very "eh" with him but both DD and SoJ really changed my view on him. He went from a forgettable character to a very interesting one that I've come to respect. I accidentally got spoiled on the whole thing between him and Nahyuta, so that didn't come as a surprise, but god damn his reaction to Dhurke being dead was brutal. That scene was up there with Phoenix's breakdown in Case 2-4 in terms of how brutal the story went to break its protagonist.

I'm okay with Phoenix and Athena basically playing second fiddle in this game since it was meant to be Apollo's journey, but even though I enjoyed it, Case 4 was definitely the weakest due to how out of place it felt. I loved Athena and Simon's interactions, but this should have been DLC or placed earlier in the story. All the cases were solid with cases 2, 3, and 5 being my favorites. Looking forward to the DLC case since I absolutely love Larry and I need some more Phoenix-Maya action.

Out of the new characters, I really liked Datz and Dhurke. Dad characters are always a favorite of mine when done right, so I was glad when Dhurke ended up being a fun character. However, I didn't expect for the game to physically show you him getting shot and I gotta say that it had to be one of the most "WHAT THE FUCK" moments in the series due to how sudden it is. Nahyuta was kinda boring to me. He didn't really stand out to me and I wish he had better character traits than just calling the defense "putrid" and talking about how much the Holy Mother loves him and not the defense team. I also didn't like Rayfa at first, but ended up thinking she was alright.

All in all, I loved my time with Apollo Justice 2. Not in my top 3 AA games (T&T, PWAA, and AAI2 takes those spots) but it's definitely at a solid 4th favorite. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in AA7 because it seems that they actually have an idea with where they're going with this series in terms of overarching plot.
Thalassa is going to die and Apollo and Trucy will have to find out the truth the hard way, I'm calling it now.

The Giant

Banned
Just finished it. That was great

With case 4 at first I wasn't enjoying it, but then about halfway through, it clicked and I started to enjoy it.

I saw the Nayna being the former queen twist coming. But I did not see the Dhurke is dead twist coming. So that was a shock.

I wonder who Phoenix was talking to at the end? Most likely gonna find out in the next game.

ggx2ac

With case 4 at first I wasn't enjoying it, but then about halfway through, it clicked and I started to enjoy it.

I saw the Nayna being the former queen twist coming. But I did not see the Dhurke is dead twist coming. So that was a shock.

I wonder who Phoenix was talking to at the end? Most likely gonna find out in the next game.

Lamiroir, the mother of Trucy and Apollo. That's why I found it awkward when Dhurke said to Apollo that Trucy is a keeper and that he should go marry her. lol

They are related by the same mother, different fathers.

Zalman

Did you play AA4?
It's Thalassa Gramarye. Apollo and Trucy's mother.

The Giant

Banned
Lamiroir, the mother of Trucy and Apollo. That's why I found it awkward when Dhurke said to Apollo that Trucy is a keeper and that he should go marry her. lol

Oh ok. Haven't played AA4 since 2008.

The Hermit

This game is pretty good, especially case 3, despite Sadhmedi being the worst prossecutor ever and a very disapointing case 5.

People were saying case 4 was bad, but Blacquill return was pretty awesome. Hell it even made me want to replay PW5.

LiK

still bummed Maya's return was so not hyped in the game. i guess PW has been in touch with her on the phone beforehand but still, should've been a bigger deal and i sorta wish she had one case where she was with him as an assistant. Hopefully the next big DLC is about that.

Oh man, that cracked me up. I was thinking how long are they gonna keep it a secret, then
you get the Lamiroir chat after the credits roll.

Anyway, I had such a blast that I ended up replaying AA5 immediately afterwards. Ah, good times.

I'm probably of the minority, but it's a shame that since
Apollo has left for Khura'in, that kinda sunk the Apollo x Juniper boat, unless she becomes a judge there or something.

GSR

still bummed Maya's return was so not hyped in the game. i guess PW has been in touch with her on the phone beforehand but still, should've been a bigger deal and i sorta wish she had one case where she was with him as an assistant. Hopefully the next big DLC is about that.

Since I guess a lot of people aren't clear on this: the (canon, full-size) DLC case releasing Thursday takes place after the main game and is 100℅ Phoenix and Maya.

TrueBlue

Since I guess a lot of people aren't clear on this: the (canon, full-size) DLC case releasing Thursday takes place after the main game and is 100℅ Phoenix and Maya.

Can't wait.

What was the consensus on that case. A lot of people seemed to really take to the DLC case for Dual Destinies.

NEO0MJ

I'm wondering when we'll finally get a case that doesn't involve murder.

Also, can anyone remind me of what was meant by the ladder argument?

LiK

FUCK YES. i love you. THIS Thursday?! OMG, awesome.

There's a whole AA Wikia entry for this, lol

http://aceattorney.wikia.com/wiki/Ladder_vs._stepladder

Reminds me of when my brother was playing through the Stolen Turnabout and said "It's nice to have a case that isn't involved with someone getting murdered for a change".
Then it turned out to be a double jeopardy ploy because murder.

I guess they figure having Wright dramatically fight tooth and nail for a client kinda loses its edge if they're not potentially on the chopping block for murder.

Opa-Pa

I knew it was dropping this thursday thanks to some press release way back, but it's nice to have a confirmation. I'm so excited I got an eshop card already!

By the way are we sure it's a canon case? The title, Turnabout Time Traveler, is making me doubt... But then again maybe it's a reference to how there are so many returning characters. Also who is the prosecutor? Please don't say Edgeworth.

By the way are we sure it's a canon case? The title, Turnabout Time Traveler, is making me doubt...

It's canon, just self-contained. The name is a reference to the defendant
traveling back in time

But then again maybe it's a reference to how there are so many returning characters.

That too.

Also who is the prosecutor? Please don't say Edgeworth.

_________________ Alright _________________

NEO0MJ

You know, I found it pretty funny how both Dhurke and Amara have a mighty death stare. I wonder if that's how they fell in love, lol.

I guess they figure having Wright dramatically fight tooth and nail for a client kinda loses its edge if they're not potentially on the chopping block for murder.

Probably.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about this.

LiK

Dhurke's animation for the death stare was incredible. so subtle and epic. props to the animator who did it.

is there a gif out there?

Fireblend

Banned
Just finished this. Apollo's family history is so ridiculously complicated
KuGsj.gif
and with that tease at the end I doubt it's the last we'll see of it. I wonder how they could possibly make it more weird though.

Boogiepop

Just finished the game. Want to dump my impressions while they're still fresh, so I've only actually read the first page of this thread so far.

I rather enjoyed the game, felt like it really fixed up a lot of the weak points of 5 and ended up quite nice as a result. In particular the investigations felt like they actually got a bit of their oomph back... though I'd still like them to let them at least a little more off the rails (like, maybe actually put in a psych lock or two that actually takes some effort to break down). Also, the worst things in the game were those incredibly frequent dialogue flashbacks, Apollo's gameplay gimmick that I've never been too fond of with finding the twitch, and freaking fingerprint searching, which is just terrible and I don't know why they're bothering with it still nowadays. Oh, and yeah, a few of the "point thing out" moments were a little too finicky (in particular, the "where is Maya standing" and the "point out the hand in the reflection" that got mentioned on the first page were not quite right).

Still, a lot to love in the game, and I really enjoyed my time with it. Random comment I want to dump: does it bug anyone else that Sarge kind of gets left in a crummy situation of having no parents left? Like, I figured they'd at least write in something of "oh, I'm living with my relatives now, and we get along well" or something to address the issue, but... not really. (Ideally I kind of wanted Apollo to adopt her due to the bonding and to kind of fill in the loss of family on his end, or failing that due to him being "too young" I guess Phoenix could take her in... but I guess they wouldn't want the "baggage" of adding her to the cast, so that was always a pipe-dream, so instead her plot is pushed to the side due to pressing matters). Just a weird little thing that kind of irked me, where it's like "yeah, both this little girl's parents are dead, but she's taking her first steps to readjust to society, so it's totally fine".

Also, I really like that with this game we got the complete opposite of AA5's finale, where in that game what should've been one case got split in two, while here they honestly kind of jam in a 6th by making it a double!

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished this. Apollo's family history is so ridiculously complicated
KuGsj.gif
and with that tease at the end I doubt it's the last we'll see of it. I wonder how they could possibly make it more weird though.

I don't think there's anything left to complicate. I believe we know everything that we could know about Apollo's parents (I guess except the specifics of how they met) and everything about Trucy's parents. I think all that remains is the final resolution of that plotline with the involved characters learning the truth.

I don't think there's anything left to complicate. I believe we know everything that we could know about Apollo's parents (I guess except the specifics of how they met) and everything about Trucy's parents. I think all that remains is the final resolution of that plotline with the involved characters learning the truth.

We know pretty much nothing about Jove Justice, including why someone decided to get rid of him at the same time as the Amara "assassination". There's plenty of room here for Apollo to get involved in a case that focuses on Jove's history.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

They could bring in his Grand Parents.

We know pretty much nothing about Jove Justice, including why someone decided to get rid of him at the same time as the Amara "assassination". There's plenty of room here for Apollo to get involved in a case that focuses on Jove's history.

I thought it was simply because he was a witness, but I guess there could be more to it.

The Hermit

The more I think about this game the less I like it... Nayhuta is probably one of the worst characters of the séries and case 5 made no sense. I meam, the only leverage the Queen had was their daughter.

Jeffrey

The presidential debate reminded me of this game lol.

From the politician dude to nahyuta's constant insults.

When a parody isn't a parody anymore.

Haganeren

Just finished it...

Everyone said so much things but i saw nobody mentioned how creepy it was to see the first Seance in the Case 3... It kinda frighted me for some reason, seeing Maya then reading the Sutra and then seeing that strange mask thing in front of us...

Just finished it...

Everyone said so much things but i saw nobody mentioned how creepy it was to see the first Seance in the Case 3... It kinda frighted me for some reason, seeing Maya then reading the Sutra and then seeing that strange mask thing in front of us...
I play handheld games at night in bed most of the time. Ace Attorney definitely creeps me out a few times. That was one of the creepier moments for me. Some characters' death stares or breakdowns throughout the series have frightened me in the past, haha.

NEO0MJ

The more I think about this game the less I like it... Nayhuta is probably one of the worst characters of the séries and case 5 made no sense. I meam, the only leverage the Queen had was their daughter.

And their daughter was everything to them that moment. Like it was mentioned if the truth behind her being a daughter of a "criminal" is revealed she'll be banished from the royal family and pretty much plunge the kingdom into chaos.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I play handheld games at night in bed most of the time. Ace Attorney definitely creeps me out a few times. That was one of the creepier moments for me. Some characters' death stares or breakdowns throughout the series have frightened me in the past, haha.

Yep, same. Sometimes the villains or meltdowns in the AA games actually unnerve me. I think AA2's final case did that (geeze, that meltdown caught me off-guard...), along with Dahlia in AA3 and the reveal of Fullbright's true identity/the meltdown in AA5. AA6 didn't do it for me, though. Actually, maybe Case 2's and Case 5's first meltdown in AA6 both did it to some degree. Those sequences can get disturbing. There's something chilling about the coldest characters the series has presented, but AA6 didn't really have one of those.

Finally finished it tonight and I loved it. Was a bit disappointed as from case 3 onwards I was expecting the Holy Mother to be Ami Fey and that Maya was the true Queen of Khura'in but alas that didn't happen. Not even a channeling. We didn't even find out the Holy Mother's name :(

Haganeren

Finally finished it tonight and I loved it. Was a bit disappointed as from case 3 onwards I was expecting the Holy Mother to be Ami Fey and that Maya was the true Queen of Khura'in but alas that didn't happen. Not even a channeling. We didn't even find out the Holy Mother's name :(

Well, it was on the evidence "Tome of Secret" if i remember right, you just had to read it.... But yeah, i thought they were chanelling the Holy Mother at some point too. (Never thought about her being Ami Fey though)

Yep, same. Sometimes the villains or meltdowns in the AA games actually unnerve me. I think AA2's final case did that (geeze, that meltdown caught me off-guard...), along with Dahlia in AA3 and the reveal of Fullbright's true identity/the meltdown in AA5. AA6 didn't do it for me, though. Actually, maybe Case 2's and Case 5's first meltdown in AA6 both did it to some degree. Those sequences can get disturbing. There's something chilling about the coldest characters the series has presented, but AA6 didn't really have one of those.

The breakdown of the queen was kinda... You know... Realistic ? Like it's shocased like a breakdown but have that "real" feeling which made it a little disturbing to me... Especially once we know she want crazy after that and take herself for the Holy Mother.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it was on the evidence "Tome of Secret" if i remember right, you just had to read it.... But yeah, i thought they were chanelling the Holy Mother at some point too. (Never thought about her being Ami Fey though)

That was Lady Kee'ra's name.

The breakdown of the queen was kinda... You know... Realistic ? Like it's shocased like a breakdown but have that "real" feeling which made it a little disturbing to me... Especially once we know she want crazy after that and take herself for the Holy Mother.

Ah, perhaps. It honestly didn't affect me too much, though.

ggx2ac

... Lady Kee'ra isn't the Holy Mother ?
I think i mixed the two at some point...

She's a relative to the holy mother. Did you forget the stuff like how Rayfa didn't want to go into Kee'ra's hideout for reasons.

Plus they couldn't summon Lady Kee'ra because they know her name but not her face.

While only the Queen knows the Holy Mother's name and the founder's orb shows the face.

GenG3000

I just finished the game. Yamazaki's best and places comfortably among Takumi's best.

Also, the Shyamalan revelation is my favourite moment of the series overall, that revelation hits hard like no other, very exhausting emotionally speaking.

Now I want Dai Gyakuten Saiban!

MrBadger

Yeah, certain scenes in Ace Attorney have spooked me as a result of me playing them at 2am. The DL6 flashbacks and eerie music and (Dual Destinies)
bloody Athena face
got me.

I think the only time it happened in this one was the vision of faceless Dhurke murdering the Minister followed by maniacal laughter. I just found something especially unnerving about the way he kept glancing at the faceless mural of the holy mother in Amara's tomb.

TrueBlue

I thought Owen's reveal was going to be much scarier - the way they framed the shot with his face down actually made me take a breath :lol

Luigi87

Just finished the game. Absolutely great.
Between this and AA5, Apollo really became one of my favourite characters.

On the whole, I think I may place it just below AA3 and AA5 as my favourites, but I will say Episode 5 was absolutely fantastic and among my favourite in the series.

I felt Episode 4 to really just be a distraction at best, however Blackquill was amazing throughout it, so it gets a pass for that. I look forward to seeing more of him and Athena in the next game.
I really did enjoy every episode though.

As it is, I felt this was a great way to end Apollo's arc, yet also I expected him to stay in Khura'in as that will allow for trials featuring Insights to continue on in the series, which I'm all for (even if I made many, many mistakes during them).

Edit: Oh and also the animations in this game were absolutely phenominal.

Jeffrey

I really did dig Phoenix as a 'wingman' in court.

hope the next game has some of that with athena as lead.

And i hope they bring back 'confident' phoenix again. its like his character is degenerating from AA4 to 5 to 6.

Alright finished it. Quick impressions from the first 4 cases before I dive into case 5...

Case 1 - Generally pretty meh like most Case 1's, it has to explain a lot so I'll say its not bad but its not Case 1 of AA3 or AJ or even close. The whole thing with Payne is hilarious and I thought they did a really good job of making Rayfa out to be a very unlikable character at first.

Case 2 - It's nice at least this case is personal but the killer is obvious from moment one and the 'drama' that is involved felt very unnecessary, although I did really like the twist of who the killer actually was. One of the better case 2's but it could've been much better, the whole idea of Apollo being really given the nod by Phoenix that he has come to trust him and his ability was a nice touch I just wish they had ultimately had built upon it in later cases.

Case 3 - There are some great moments in this case, Rayfa does a complete 180 from what I thought of her after case 1 and you really get to see theres a lot of depth to her character and honestly some of her reactions are just adorable. It was nice to have her around investigating with you since Maya is locked up yet again (seriously this needs to stop happening, its just a tired plot point and generally isn't used all that well) and ultimately how the victim dies is great (suicide wasn't ever the key before or have I forgotten something?) and Maya turning into him was hilarious.

Case 4 - The worst case by far, it was fairly short and felt like a case 1 and not one of the better ones. Blackwell is the one thing that makes this case any fun at all and it was at least nice seeing him team up with Athena and there was some interesting characters but it felt like one of the DLC cases and mostly just filler, I get that they needed to give Athena a case but I think this would have worked better as a proper case 2 with an investigation and everything else with Blackwell helping you out during that as well. Also the Defendant was just really worthless, was likely one of the worst the series has ever had.

Case 5 A - This certainly was a hell of a long chapter (combined) and really felt like this part should've been the proper case 4, I didn't like Dhurke at first but he really grew on me but theres problems with how this case and its part B. ultimately played out. The killer this time was beyond super fucking obvious and while I thought it was a novel idea to have Apollo vs Phoenix face each other I ultimately felt that it would've been served better if there wasn't this whole stupid hostage situation where it felt like Apollo wasn't really able to test himself properly against his boss/mentor.

Case 5 B - okay this is where things got interesting and real, and boy this case was hella long considering it didn't require multiple days of investigating (if you don't count Case 5 A anyway XD) but was really well done for the most part. Ga'ran being the villain was obvious the moment we knew Inga was dead although I have to admit at one point I was really suspecting that Amara was truly behind everything or that she and Ga'ran had been working together which would have been more interesting then what they ultimately went with although I did a straight up LOL when Ga'ran turned into final boss prosecutor but her breakdown wasn't nearly as good as it could have be. To many of the twists were just way to fucking obvious such as Amara being alive or Rayfa being the daughter or Amara and brother to Nahyuta not to mention Ga'ran being the villian. That said...

Holy fucking shit at that Dhurke plot twist, never saw that coming. Honestly the way Inga was being portrayed I thought he might still be alive (and a body double was dead) or really be Rayfa's father and he and Amara had an affair or something but a lot of that largely seems to have been designed to throw you off the real twist of Dhurke actually being dead. The twist at the end of the last game was huge but the twist here was really much more emotional and poor Apollo realizing it was heart breaking but the moment they started figuring it out it really did all make sense, fucking well played Capcom I highly doubt you'll be able to top that one.

Ultimately the biggest problem with Case 5 B is that it rushes far to quickly to wrap up everything, I didn't think they explored Amara's character enough and if she really did believe Dhurke was trying to kill her or not or what her involvement with everything that had happened was and how she was truly trying to protect her daughter. Nahyuta was also severely lacking proper character development and in general just wasn't a needed a fun 'rival' which is a shame because I think EVERY AA game to date has pulled that off extremely well except for this game and Nahyuta. I thought in general his reasoning for obeying Ga'ran made sense to a point but it felt extremely odd he acted the way he did outside of Case 5 or 3 when he wasn't under her thumb the whole time. I think his character would have worked better if he actually had no idea that Rayfa was his sister and had actually switched sides because he lost his faith in his father and ultimately finding out who had killed him and why brought him out of Ga'ran's control rather then what they ultimately chose to do which was just make him Ga'ran's slave the whole game, which I think would have explained his actions better in case 2 and 4 because he had no reason to act the way he did in those cases and I thought that the game was trying to somewhat bring up the idea that he was rather fond of Ema (and not just her work) but they never did anything with that either.

Overall I thought the game was really good most of the time but thinking back on different plot points some things felt rather loose or unexplained such as the actual power of the founders orb never actually being used, the whole point of case 5A and the pre-trial part of case 5B is about that thing and once the trial happens its ultimately only used to bring down Ga'ran and show she has no real power when I thought that Maya or Amara would ultimately channel the founder and have her bless Rayfa or something to give her proper power to become queen.

Inga in general felt like they left a ton of questions about his character just left completely unanswered such as if he really cared about Rayfa or not (its suggested he did because of the safe code and what it contained) but its never really stated or talked about properly, even to comfort Rayfa which I thought was odd.

Some of the new characters were fantastic like Rayfa and Dhurke others not so much (Nahyuta) but I did feel some rather large disappointment in regards to Maya because they still haven't done anything with her character, shes once again relegated to one of three things, defendant you have to save, hostage you have to save, or plot device. Shes not really given any new character development in this game despite a rather important role she ultimately plays in both Cases 3 and 5 and considering she hasn't been in the last 2 games it just feels wasted to not really give her anything to do besides what I mentioned, and part of the problem is that these are the roles shes ALWAYS played in pretty much every game and its just massively disappointing to see the very minor things they've decided to do with her character with how much time has passed since we've seen her and how interesting her dynamic with Phoenix can be.

Despite my complaining about the roles she ultimately plays shes a great supporting character to Phoenix and his shenanigans in the first 3 AA games and its sad we don't even get to see that brought back in the normal cases only in the DLC case were getting tomorrow if I was reading the other comments right and even then since it is DLC I'm not expecting any actual character development with her at all in this case, shes likely to just be a foil to Phoenix which isn't necessarily bad but with how much progress Phoenix has made since their last encounter (Went from losing his license to adopting a daughter to mentoring Apollo to getting his license back and actually building a somewhat small law firm) I just expecting there to be more with her character besides that shes finished her training. Maya was always my favorite character in these early AA games and it just bugs me that with all the time they've had to think about what direction they wanted to take her when they eventually brought her back that ultimately THIS was the best they came up with.

I'm going to miss hearing Apollo's theme. Kid has come a long way from being a kind of a empty character who Phoenix scooped up and had all his cases solved for him. I'm really happy we finally got a reason why Apollo became an attorney.

NEO0MJ

So after thinking about it I think Roger Retinz is probably my favorite killer in this game. I really liked his animations and history, and how he captivated everyone with his show. Grandpa Gramarye was crazy for kicking him out.
I love how his persona flips between smug annoying Hollywood producer to confident boisterous magician without even having to switch his wardrobe, though the illusion would probably break for the later if we saw him from the waist down but hey he's a magician and probably accounted for that :p

29890772902_db4a8b2ee5_o.gif

Nice theme, too.

LiK

^ kinda sucked i figured out he was the magician in disguise before the reveal but i did like him overall as a baddie. i had a pretty funny voice in my head.

NEO0MJ

^ kinda sucked i figured out he was the magician in disguise before the reveal but i did like him overall as a baddie. i had a pretty funny voice in my head.

True but like a lot of things in the AA series it's about the reveal. That complete 180 was something else. Really showed how much more experieced he was an an illusionist and entertiner when he even managed to string magicians and turn the world into his personal stage.
And speaking of voice the voice I had in mind for him switched with the reveal.

Jeffrey

retinz's 'finished' animation was kinda lame. Like I get what they were going for, but it didn't have much of an impact.

welp forgot the dlc eps is out. guess back to the other thread until I play that.

Yeah I also figured Retinz was Mr. Reus earlier on -mostly because I found weird how the Mr. Reus in the poster from 13 years ago and the victim looked the same as if time had never passed.

But then The Judge is the same as always, so... maybe they shared the same beauty regenAge products?

Top Bottom