• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After Burner Climax delisted from XBLA/PSN [Still up on EU PSN?!]

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
via Joystiq

2591556-9366764411-After.jpg

Last day to buy is apparently December 24th.

After Burner Climax is $9.99 and you should buy it before you can't.

update:
it is gone.

Oh, yeah...their license with Grumman-Northrop has probably expired. Shit, neither this nor OutRun can get a break. Y'all better get After Burner II for SEGA 3D Classics!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's a fun game if you have any nostalgia for Afterburner.

Also spawned the weird Giantbomb meme "Always be clothing". lol

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so another license issues just like Outrun. smh

Can't SEGA just slightly change the look of cars and aircraft models in Outrun and After Burner with all the names and release the games again.

Neff

Wish I had this much of a warning when Outrun Online Arcade vanished, but I'm glad I have this too.

Although I'd trade it for Outrun in a heartbeat.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Got it on sale on both XBLA & PSN. Maybe Sega will put it on sale once again a week before it's delisted.

Just glad they gave us a warning.

so another license issues just like Outrun. smh

Can't SEGA just slightly change the look of cars and aircraft models in Outrun and After Burner with all the names and release the games again.
Hey already did that with the Daytona Arcade rerelease, so I don't see what's stopping them from doing it again.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Bought it on day one. I remember the video with this, Chromehounds and the first look of the new Sonic long before the 360 itself actually launched and just waiting for Climax to come out on 360.

Many, many years later it finally did, enjoyed it plenty and 100%'ed it quickly with how much I played.

I encourage everyone to pick it up, a great example of a true fun arcade game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Already have it but I hate seeing this kind of thing. I know it will remain accessible (at least for a while) but I'm always concerned about its disappearance.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Already have it but I hate seeing this kind of thing. I know it will remain accessible (at least for a while) but I'm always concerned about its disappearance.
I know what you mean. I've gotta get a second hard drive just for delisted games at this point...

Sylver

Banned
Sony should make this kind of things notizable on their own store.
This happens very often like Simpsons, Outrun, TMNT, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, 3, etc..
:( I missed that simpsons arcade game.

gelf

Get it people, its a great game.

I hope ways can be found to preserve digital only games, even if it requires hackers. It's sad to think some games could disappear forever.

Already own it on PSN, but what the hey, might as well get it for my 360, too. Fantastic game.

Y'all should probably download Daytona USA HD while you can now, too.

It's well worth 800MSP I payed for it.

Good of SEGA to let us know in advance, really though MS and Sony should set up a system in PSN/XBLA that informs ppl of upcoming delisted games, it would not only be a service for gamers but would also line their pockets with sales.

Damn I'm still gutted I missed on Outrun especially as I still have the demo on my system.

Great game. Like OutRun2 before it, it takes the Yu Suzaki's original 80s arcade hit, polishes it up with a modern sheen, but still has that same spirit that made it so popular in the first place.

And also like OutRun2, it will soon be unavailable because licensing agreements die out and you can't sell digital copies of it anymore. Sucks ass to think good video games will just straight up STOP being available legally, maybe forever?

Kinyou

So apparently the liscence with the plane manufactures ran out? Kind of funny because I don't think having real life planes is crucial to the game at all.

They should put these games on sale before delisting. I would assume they'd make more in the end.

I tried the demo when it came out. No nostalgia for the old games. It felt like I playing a game in fast forward....

Purchased the game the week it originally came out, a lot of fun to play (wish I had my own After Burner II cabinet as well haha).

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Great game. Like OutRun2 before it, it takes the Yu Suzaki's original 80s arcade hit, polishes it up with a modern sheen, but still has that same spirit that made it so popular in the first place.

And also like OutRun2, it will soon be unavailable because licensing agreements die out and you can't sell digital copies of it anymore. Sucks ass to think good video games will just straight up STOP being available legally, maybe forever?

Word. I fucked up once by not buying OutRun Online when it was out. Not makin' the same mistake again.

Didn't EA worm their way out of paying for gun licensing in 2013? Maybe SEGA could do the same if they were such inclined.

BTW isn't AB2 on the 360? I wonder if that'll be delisted too

Palom

God I hate this delisting bullshit with digital-only titles. I saw this on Game Sack a few weeks ago and it looked interesting, but I'm not really in a financial position where I can purchase games that I only have a passing interest in. No chance now of going back and picking it up when I can.

SEGA of Europe should bully SEGA of Japan into renewing the license and getting a PC port so we can buy, download, and then store the games for preservation in the years to come. Well, the execs wouldn't put it that way...VC's recent success is evidence they'd sell well to begin with.

Alternatively (if they've bothered to keep the source code lol), going in and changing the elements specific to the Ferrari, Grumman, and NASCAR licenses would avoid this entirely.

Own both versions, just played last week. Still a fantastic game, and I'm fortunate enough to have an arcade cabinet nearby too.

Is the iOS version affected too?

Top Bottom