• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aksys has no plans to dub BlazBlue Central Fiction [Petition Added to OP]

Stuart444

On one hand, I would, but on the other... dangerous precedent.

Their comment on the PSN thread sure backfired. "Would you really want to wait six-eight months for a dub?" Lots and lots of "yes I totally would"

Link?

Also, I would donate begrudgingly as they phrased it as a matter of time than money. But then ruling out DLC down the line if all they need is 'time'

but I would donate if it would guarantee a dub.

Seriously, this one has pissed me off far more than I would if it were any other game. No Dub in a series that is new, I'd be fine with.

But in the finale of Ragna's story, with the great english voice cast that makes it all so memorable?

That is what pisses me off so much. Like someone said, it's like changing the voice cast for the final season of an anime or something similar.

cj_iwakura

Link?

Also, I would donate begrudgingly as they phrased it as a matter of time than money. But then ruling out DLC down the line if all they need is 'time'

but I would donate if it would guarantee a dub.

Seriously, this one has pissed me off far more than I would if it were any other game. No Dub in a series that is new, I'd be fine with.

But in the finale of Ragna's story, with the great english voice cast that makes it all so memorable?

That is what pisses me off so much. Like someone said, it's like changing the voice cast for the final season of an anime or something similar.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016...iction-limited-edition-announced-dlc-details/

Yeah no dub is disappointing, but would you have rather waited 6-8 months for a US release w/ a dub?

Yes I would wait for 6-8 months for a dub

+ SilentNova on August 24th, 2016 at 10:52 am said:

Personally I would not mind especially if you got a look at the autographs I have collected on the covers for my copies of the other BlazBlue games. Can you please consider it for DLC? I will seriously pay for the English Dub if that is what it takes.

+ Souledge94 on August 24th, 2016 at 10:57 am said:

I would pay as well. This is getting just silly with some companies just dropping dubs. Yea your in sync with the jpn release,but at the same time you pushing away half your customers with this. I could give two dams if it came out later for other regions there still will be other players to play with not just jpn. Its been like this for years why change it when it has a negative impact.Also you have no worries about importers since most rebuy the game for the dub so your getting twice the cash.

+ soul_of_k on August 24th, 2016 at 10:59 am said:

I would wait half a year for an English voice track for Blazblue. I was OK with Guilty Gear not having one as it has mostly not before but Blazblue always had two vocal sets since it’s localization.

This is even weirder that Arc Systems added a Japanese track for their version of Skullgirls.

+ Tinye310 on August 24th, 2016 at 11:34 am said:

For the record and the other side of the spectrum. I don’t mind having JP voice only, I also don’t mind waiting for a Dub, but sooner the better for the hype at the same time.

+ Muntazar on August 24th, 2016 at 11:45 am said:

I definitely would, honestly I am pre-ordering the LE, and when I get it, I’m just gonna shelve it and wait for the English dub.
Please, it s one of my favorite part about this beautiful franchise, I want an English Dub, I would pay $20 for it, even!

+ SilentNova on August 24th, 2016 at 12:27 pm said:

Also this:

A brand new chapter in the saga!

A 40+ hour story mode with fully animated cut scenes pushes the boundaries of fighting game narratives.

That is pushed before they even mention how many characters are in the game. The story is a very heavy focus in BlazBlue. For the fans that do not care about the story, fine, but clearly many do and it is well known. It has two prequel/side story games that are graphic novels. Sorry for the fans that could not enjoy them for different reasons, but BlazBlue is an extremely heavy story driven game and it seems to garnish more attention than even the fighting game aspect of the series.

+ RaveEX on August 24th, 2016 at 12:27 pm said:

I’d pay for a English dub DLC, so pleases consider it Aksys. Same goes for GGXRD Revelator.

+ Daverost on August 24th, 2016 at 3:05 pm said:

Yes, I actually would rather have waited.

Hubb

The problem with the DLC angle is the chance they'd break even or make money on that DLC has got to be minuscule to nonexistent. Specially if it comes out 6-8 months after the game releases. Many people who says they'd buy it would have probably moved on by then.

That being said, I'd pay a decent amount for that DLC even if it took 8 months to come out.

OniBaka

I usually wouldn't mind but since I played the previous games dub, those voices are the characters for me. Also it was really good.

I'll just post what I posted in the last thread:

While I understand why they're doing it, I still think that English cast is what made those characters interesting. So the fact that they're gone is not a good feeling.

That being said, as long as the general english localization is still solid, I might be alright with the change.

this is like the twilight zone(aksys thread complaining about dubs, atlus threads complaining about lack of jp audio/sub lulz). i respect that there are people who like and enjoy the blazblue dub, but i would gladly take no dub over getting the fighting game at or very close to jpn release. fighting games are ultimately about 1 vs 1 fighting, and the closer to the jpn release is, the better in terms of community and actually finding matches online for a lengthy amount of time. in Aksys position i think they made the right call, and if it pisses off the fan base enough id say they should release the dub track later as dlc, but get the game out asap, so those who play the game as a fighting game can dig in. This also makes me wonder if there dropping the english battle voices? or just not dubbing the vn portions?

cj_iwakura

this is like the twilight zone(aksys thread complaining about dubs, atlus threads complaining about lack of jp audio/sub lulz). i respect that there are people who like and enjoy the blazblue dub, but i would gladly take no dub over getting the fighting game at or very close to jpn release. fighting games are ultimately about 1 vs 1 fighting, and the closer to the jpn release is, the better in terms of community and actually finding matches online for a lengthy amount of time. in Aksys position i think they made the right call, and if it pisses off the fan base enough id say they should release the dub track later as dlc, but get the game out asap, so those who play the game as a fighting game can dig in. This also makes me wonder if there dropping the english battle voices? or just not dubbing the vn portions?

It will have no dub whatsoever. Meaning we won't have any idea what's being said in battle.

On one hand, it's nice to get a localized version of the game in a much earlier timeframe. That I think is good.

On the other hand, it's the fourth(or sixth if you count the EXTEND versions) BB game to be released in America, and the only one to not have an English dub. I won't lie, this greatly impacts my decision to buy a copy. It's one thing for GG Revelator to not get an English dub, but to not follow through on the this new BB when it was done for every prior title really disappoints me.

If an English dub is added as DLC, or returns in the inevitable EXTEND version of BB: Central Fiction, then the game will receive my patronage.

Garlador

this is like the twilight zone(aksys thread complaining about dubs, atlus threads complaining about lack of jp audio/sub lulz). i respect that there are people who like and enjoy the blazblue dub, but i would gladly take no dub over getting the fighting game at or very close to jpn release.

If someone feels that strongly about getting it the exact day of, the option to just import the game is always available and most copies of the game are region free.

But there's already plenty of precedent for "waiting". Japan always got those arcade releases nearly a whole year before any version of the games came to the west, so countless Japanese players already had a "head start" as it were. And then there were plenty of other games that offered additional language tracks as DLC, though Blazblue was always commended for having one of the most memorable and well-executed dubs in the genre, especially given how story-driven the games actually are.

So for those that care about 1v1 fighting, there option to just do that was going to happen regardless, but for folks like me who really cared about these characters and the story they were attached to, the English dub really sold me on the series and endeared those characters to me, and I really wouldn't want to play the game without hearing those voices I know and love in supposedly the big finale of this long-running story arc.

It will have no dub whatsoever. Meaning we won't have any idea what's being said in battle.

I've always never minded this problem, since 1: it's just a generic vs battle that has nothing to do with the plot, so what they say doesn't really matter. And 2: I've had to deal with this since Guilty Gear (and many old capcom fighters), so I've just gotten use to it.

The english cast for these games have always had a special place in my heart, but the idea that people are dropping these games for that reason is ridiculous imo.

cj_iwakura

I've always never minded this problem, since 1: it's just a generic vs battle that has nothing to do with the plot, so what they say doesn't really matter. And 2: I've had to deal with this since Guilty Gear (and many old capcom fighters), so I've just gotten use to it.

The english cast for these games have always had a special place in my heart, but the idea that people are dropping these games for that reason is ridiculous imo.

There is a LOT of stuff said during battles between characters that is story relevant, namely the Library's creed, and things like Tsubaki and Noel's conflict. Little things, but they do add nuances.

PK Gaming

I wouldn't have minded the wait tbh.

Keep up with the JP scene for that time, and maybe even buy the JP version. Then enjoy the story with a glorious english dub.

Mik317

one less game to buy this year I guess.

My OCD won't allow it. The dub voices ARE the characters for me. Hell, when Tony Oliver didnt come back as Bang, shit sucked. I'm super far behind anyway and with all the spin off stuff actually mattering now, even more out of the loop.

I get it tho. Its not time but money tho. The cast is stupid big now and there is a lot of dialog to dub. It is what it is.

but this pushes it from day 1 to probably a rental down the line.

Wild Card

There is a LOT of stuff said during battles between characters that is story relevant, namely the Library's creed, and things like Tsubaki and Noel's conflict. Little things, but they do add nuances.

Not to mention there are a lot of story matchups that can happen where you get custom intro animations, it's the little things. Also honestly speaking, I don't think this games timing will mean much in terms of community, everyone will be there day one, and then it will trickle off into the usual numbers.

one less game to buy this year I guess.

My OCD won't allow it. The dub voices ARE the characters for me. Hell, when Tony Oliver didnt come back as Bang, shit sucked. I'm super far behind anyway and with all the spin off stuff actually mattering now, even more out of the loop.

I get it tho. Its not time but money tho. The cast is stupid big now and there is a lot of dialog to dub. It is what it is.

but this pushes it from day 1 to probably a rental down the line.

Fuuuck you had to remind me, when Hazama, Bang, and Hakumen got their voices changed shit drove me insane, and it would go back and forth between the original and new ones, what was that, Continuum Shift? Also the Bang that we have now sounds horrible, like some old dude with a lifetime of smoking.

Malice215

The time between the Japanese arcade release and the console release should have been used to make a damn English dub with a proper localization. People have already waited a year plus for the game, so what's another couple of months.

Usually I don't care about dubs, but BlazBlue actually has a good one, so it's disappointing that this game doesn't have it, especially when story mode is a big selling point for the game.

Plus how many versions of BB have come out up to this point with an English dub. Very off for this version not to have it besides to cut costs.

But most of that stuff is likely already mentioned in the main story mode anyway, so it's not like we're missing anything aside from maybe a few jokes.

I understand that the nuances are there, but I just don't find it much of a big deal. If I really wanted to understand the relationships of the characters, I wouldn't be playing the vs mode, I'd be playing the story mode.

But I do agree, it fucking sucks it's gone. I just don't think it justifies completely dropping the series because of that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I would have gladly waited longer for a dub. Not looking like I'm gonna pick up the game now, which is a shame since I typically really enjoy BB games.

Korigama

Then I have no use for such inconsistency after three games only for the final one not to get dubbed. Getting the game later would've been of no consequence to me, as I wouldn't have minded waiting. I already considered skipping the original release thanks to Arc's usual Extend shenanigans, but this made the decision quite easy.

Then I have no use for such inconsistency after three games only for the final one not to get dubbed. Getting the game later would've been of no consequence to me, as I wouldn't have minded waiting. I already considered skipping the original release thanks to Arc's usual Extend shenanigans, but this made the decision quite easy.

Getting the game out earlier is important for the competitive scene. I'd put that at a much higher priority than a dub.

I don't care for most dubs but this is a real shame becasue all the other games have had a dub.

I don't think people would have been that upset if the rest of the games were sub only.

I'm very disappointed at the lack of an English dub, and I would have happily waited another year for this to come out for it to be dubbed.

This game is all about the story for me first, and the fighting game second. Frankly, I actually don't know what I want to do with regards to the game going forward. I want to support companies like ASW, but on principal, I hate that this is getting discarded.

I actively hate listening to games that aren't in English. I was blindsided by Guilty Gear's lack of a dub this time around, and I didn't appreciate that in the slightest [nor the basic grammatical mistakes]. The voice acting was so good for Blazblue, and they were legitimately hilarious voice actors as well.

When you're buying a base game it's not selfish or entitled to say you don't want to enter into a purchasing agreement with the company you're buying things from

Blazblue is my favorite overall fighting franchise because of how complete it has been; literally in a tier of its own. I'm going to wait on it, and pay less for it because they're providing less of the experience that is important to me. I have day 1d all of the other Blazblue core titles.

Not to mention there are a lot of story matchups that can happen where you get custom intro animations, it's the little things. Also honestly speaking, I don't think this games timing will mean much in terms of community, everyone will be there day one, and then it will trickle off into the usual numbers.

Fuuuck you had to remind me, when Hazama, Bang, and Hakumen got their voices changed shit drove me insane, and it would go back and forth between the original and new ones, what was that, Continuum Shift? Also the Bang that we have now sounds horrible, like some old dude with a lifetime of smoking.

Hazuma and Hakumen weren't that big of a deal for me, but Bang's really altered the character. I get that things like that happen; but the original VA was so great at Bang that the new VA had no chance.

Hubb

Getting the game out earlier is important for the competitive scene. I'd put that at a much higher priority than a dub.

The competitive scene that has had the game in arcades for a year or they'll just import the JP version? If they wanted to satisfy both camps and timing was the real reason, they could just come out and say they'll release a free DLC patch for the voices 6 months later.

Competitive people are happy, and people who want the dub should be happy.

Wild Card

Honestly I'm just imagining if this were an SFV thread and how you'd be getting your head torn from your shoulders right about now for the "competitive scene" angle.

Sucks for the people that enjoyed the dub. On the other hand I am happy that we will be getting it sooner rather than later.

I haven't touched any of the story modes in these games and I've been playing since CT and would prefer a quicker release. Then again I haven't played through a story mode in a fighter in years so I guess my opinion is rather worthless on this issue.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Always disappointing to see something like this happen. This new brand of sugarcoating ("but you'll get it so early!") is alil sweeter than the last one ("well no one likes dubs anyhow") but its still pretty bs. Its cost cutting pure and true, just like gutting manuals and clipping holes in game cases always was about saving the publisher money with being environmentally friendly as a front. >_> If you wanna do a near-worldwide release why not uh... delay the japanese version, or like, getting the localization stuff done during development?

Uraizen

Banned
Always disappointing to see something like this happen. This new brand of sugarcoating ("but you'll get it so early!") is alil sweeter than the last one ("well no one likes dubs anyhow") but its still pretty bs. Its cost cutting pure and true, just like gutting manuals and clipping holes in game cases always was about saving the publisher money with being environmentally friendly as a front. >_> If you wanna do a near-worldwide release why not uh... delay the japanese version, or like, getting the localization stuff done during development?

We've been waiting long enough as it is.

If the problem is time and not money, why they didn't start working in the dub early?, a previous tweet suggested it was not in aksys control anyway, maybe ASW handled the text too late.

Hubb

If the problem is time and not money, why they didn't start working in the dub early?, a previous tweet suggested it was not in aksys control anyway, maybe ASW handled the text too late.

I think the tweet you are referring to said the company doing the actual localization wasn't in control of whether or not there would be a dub. They said ask aksys and ASW.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
We've been waiting long enough as it is.
Then the only sane option is the latter! Localize while developing! A quick look at wiki has shown me...

# of main BlazBlue games released in the west: all of them!
# of updated BlazBlue games released in the west: all of them!
# of spinoff BlazBlue games released in the west: all of them! (in NA at least, just 1 for EU)

That's like a near perfect localization record! Who could have possibly foresaw Central Fiction coming westward? Not ASW/Aksys, apparently!

duvjones

Banned
DIdn't they do the same with GGXrdRev? Dubs cost money. Maybe the games just aren't selling to a wide enough audience to justify the extra effort anymore.

I don't think that it is. Honestly, I would assume the profit margin first.... GG/BB are rather niche games to with, so I have to being to wonder how much profit was made during Sign and CP's releases. At some point, it's just not cost effective to go through the work of a dub cast... a shame really, BB's has been rather stellar in most cases, but between a game with no dub and no local release, which would you rather have?
Then the only sane option is the latter! Localize while developing! A quick look at wiki has shown me...

# of main BlazBlue games released in the west: all of them!
# of updated BlazBlue games released in the west: all of them!
# of spinoff BlazBlue games released in the west: all of them! (in NA at least, just 1 for EU)

That's like a near perfect localization record! Who could have possibly foresaw Central Fiction coming westward? Not ASW/Aksys, apparently!

Honestly, it's not that simple. Far from it, I think. I am a little curious on if something NA has something to it. There has been quite a bit of cost cutting in the anime circles, maybe that has something to do with it.

Yeah, this heavily impacts my decision to buy this game.

After playing the dub for almost 10 years they are the characters to me. Playing the story mode with subs isn't an option. What a way to fumble it too, at the critical final chapter they do this.

Blazblue Calamity Trigger is what got me into learning how to play fighting games. The story and dub was a lot of fun, what also blew my mind was how characters had unique match-up specific dialogue, not just for the match intro but also for specific moves, when getting hit, during supers and win animations and dialogue as well.

They injected the story relationships into the actual matches in a way that I haven't seen any other fighting game pull off to this level. The only reason I understood any of that, and why it even mattered was because it was in an awesome English dub.

Take that away, and you remove a big part of the Blazblue experience for me. To me Blazblue is part fighting game, part story game intertwined, and that's just talking about versus matches. Now without that English dub, I can't enjoy any of that like I used to.

I'm willing to buy from Aksys if they include the English dub in the inevitable EXTEND version of this game.

We aren't getting a simultaneous release anyway. They haven't set a date yet, but it seems like it is going to be November. So at best 1 month late, and at worst 3 months late.

I live in europe . i remember BB CT. (1+ year late , dead online , no revelance because CS was already out and the list goes on)

I value release speed now . 1 month late is acceptable oover 6 months like aksys said or even more if something else happen.

It's a shame there is no eng dub , but right now as someone who does play with friends online since BB always had excellent netcode. My priority is the release speed

For the next game they could get things out even faster and only translate the menus, leave everything else including the story mode in Japanese text.

It would come out even faster guys!!!!!

cj_iwakura

Yeah, this heavily impacts my decision to buy this game.

After playing the dub for almost 10 years they are the characters to me. Playing the story mode with subs isn't an option. What a way to fumble it too, at the critical final chapter they do this.

Blazblue Calamity Trigger is what got me into learning how to play fighting games. The story and dub was a lot of fun, what also blew my mind was how characters had unique match-up specific dialogue, not just for the match intro but also for specific moves, when getting hit, during supers and win animations and dialogue as well.

They injected the story relationships into the actual matches in a way that I haven't seen any other fighting game pull off to this level. The only reason I understood any of that, and why it even mattered was because it was in an awesome English dub.

Take that away, and you remove a big part of the Blazblue experience for me. To me Blazblue is part fighting game, part story game intertwined, and that's just talking about versus matches. Now without that English dub, I can't enjoy any of that like I used to.

I'm willing to buy from Aksys if they include the English dub in the inevitable EXTEND version of this game.
Maybe, just maybe, if this release bombs, they'll do it.

I think the tweet you are referring to said the company doing the actual localization wasn't in control of whether or not there would be a dub. They said ask aksys and ASW.

cf_blazblue_central_fm2u0f.png

Steel

Banned
*sigh* Well, I'm not buying. I don't like the actual gameplay enough to justify grinding my teeth through subs. Oh well.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yep, not buying it unless a dub shows up miraculously one day. I only get BB games for story mode and the fantastic dub.

Top Bottom