• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aksys has no plans to dub BlazBlue Central Fiction [Petition Added to OP]

Hedgey

People play Japanese fighting games with English voice acting? Why?
It makes SO MUCH sense in games like Tekken, where each character in the game speaks their own native tongue. I LOVE that. But Blazblue is a game that SCREAMS Japanese. Good riddance.

That's terrible. English Noel is better than JP Noel for once.

Ragna is also really fucking good, as Valkenhayn and Relius.

^Because some do prefer the english dub, and like hearing their own language.

It makes SO MUCH sense in games like Tekken, where each character in the game speaks their own native tongue. I LOVE that. But Blazblue is a game that SCREAMS Japanese. Good riddance.

Yes, good riddance to that high quality dub that people would have waited 6-8 months to listen to. It's not like people preferred the English dub and hearing the characters talk in their own language.

DR2K

Banned

Congrats man!

Steel

Banned

image.php

s_mirage

Because I don't understand enough Japanese to appreciate the original voice acting. It's pretty simple, I appreciate good voice acting, and the Blazblue dubs have been good. Good voice acting enhances the story and brings life to the characters, but since I'm not fluent in Japanese and don't have years of experience in conversing with native speakers, I don't believe I can properly appreciate voice acting in Japanese. As I hear them, the Japanese voices don't impart the same amount character into the story by the simple fact that I can't properly interpret the acting. Even the use of emphasis in Japanese is different to in English.

Hedgey

I don't think it's correct for them to give people something, then take it away. That's kind of dirty, honestly. Especially in a series that has been going for almost ten years.
(holy crap)
But I personally enjoy playing video games the way they were originally released, with the cast picked by the development team. But that's just my opinion and I'm sorry if that offended anyone. In this case, Japanese fits the game. If I were to play GTA, for example, in Japanese, I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much.

Hubb

They also said:

@aksysgames Basically boiled down to- game now w/ no dub. Game 6-8 months later w/ dub. We made a tough decision, but stick by it.

This was the tweet I was referring to.

https://twitter.com/itscompelling/status/757638601987399680

I don't think it's correct for them to give people something, then take it away. That's kind of dirty, honestly. Especially in a series that has been going for almost ten years.
(holy crap)
But I personally enjoy playing video games the way they were originally released, with the cast picked by the development team. But that's just my opinion and I'm sorry if that offended anyone. In this case, Japanese fits the game. If I were to play GTA, for example, in Japanese, I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much.

You wouldn't enjoy something =/= someone else not enjoying something. It doesn't matter how much this game screamed Japanese to you. At least some people have only played this game in English (like me), so the English voices are these characters. These are the original characters to me, regardless of which voice set came first.

This is such horseshit. The BB series had really great dubs in the past imo, omitting the dub for the final chapter of the current story when many western players have already grown accustomed to these voices is terrible.
Also the BB series has a lot of character/matchup specific mid battle dialog which will probably not be subbed. It sucks to miss out on that.

I know. I really love those moments but now they are wasted on me.

This is sad news for me since I quite enjoyed the English dub for BB.

I can also understand why they skipped the dub because each new installment sells less than the last outside of Japan. With each new version seemingly having more voice over then the last one, I'm guessing they are reaching the point where they won't be able to make a profit dubbing the game and all the additional work required to go with it.

I'm glad they got this out of the way early so people know what they are getting into. I'm still very much excited for it and can't wait for it to release.

I don't care for most dubs but this is a real shame becasue all the other games have had a dub.

I don't think people would have been that upset if the rest of the games were sub only.

Sales have been decreasing per new iteration for this franchise I believe. At some point I guess it fell below the minimum threshold where a dubbed version could still turn a profit. I don't believe for a moment their excuse about releasing earlier or later, it's because the numbers just weren't there to financially justify dubbing it again.

Zambatoh

Sales have been decreasing per new iteration for this franchise I believe. At some point I guess it fell below the minimum threshold where a dubbed version could still turn a profit. I don't believe for a moment their excuse about releasing earlier or later, it's because the numbers just weren't there to financially justify dubbing it again.

If money was the issue they wouldn't have mentioned that they actually had the option of dubbing on their tweet.

duckroll

If money was the issue they wouldn't have mentioned that they actually had the option of dubbing on their tweet.

Why? What they say is still true. They said the choice was between no dub now and dub in 6-8 months. They didn't say -why- they chose no dub now over dub in 6-8 months, and it'll be silly to think money didn't factor into that. Get [x] amounts of sales now by spending less, or get [less than x] amounts of sales in 6-8 months by spending more. Hmmmm...

Zambatoh

Why? What they say is still true. They said the choice was between no dub now and dub in 6-8 months. They didn't say -why- they chose no dub now over dub in 6-8 months, and it'll be silly to think money didn't factor into that. Get [x] amounts of sales now by spending less, or get [less than x] amounts of sales in 6-8 months by spending more. Hmmmm...

In the latter's case why do you think they'd sell less? Judging by the all the reply tweets and the posts in this very thread, there seem to be plenty of people who won't even buy it now just because there's no dub at all.

Garlador

In the latter's case why do you think they'd sell less? Judging by the all the reply tweets and the posts in this very thread, there seem to be plenty of people who won't even buy it now just because there's no dub at all.
Yeah, I'm one of them. I'll pass until I get a dub. Love the English cast they had.

etrain911

Welp, I guess it went from launch week to no buy for me. The dub really made the plot for me and not having it is a huge mistake.

Shirke

Damn shame that there's no plans for a dub at release considering how the english voice cast were practically the voices of the characters for me. Though the Japanese cast is still great. Hopefully they can still support a dub after launch even if it comes out as DLC or in a extended release.

Hubb

The thought is sales lost < dub cost. I really don't like the lack of dub, but I also really like BB so I'll be picking it up. It sucks and I have no problem saying how much I dislike losing the dub, but I will still buy it.

Nimby

Banned
So is this the last BlazBlue? Kinda sucky, I can understand not dubbing GGXrd because none of the rest had it, still sitting through these games with their extensive storylines with Japanese audio is terrible.

duckroll

So is this the last BlazBlue? Kinda sucky, I can understand not dubbing GGXrd because none of the rest had it, still sitting through these games with their extensive storylines with Japanese audio is terrible.

They dubbed Xrd Sign though. It's Xrd Rev which has no dub, and that's a direct continuation of Sign.

Hubb

Probably not the last BB, just the end of Ragna's story.

Nimby

Banned
They dubbed Xrd Sign though. It's Xrd Rev which has no dub, and that's a direct continuation of Sign.

Yeah, but that was the only GG to be dubbed besides Overture, and I felt it was pretty hit and miss. I'd like both to have dubs and more though put into GG.

So is this the last BlazBlue? Kinda sucky,

Is not, is the end of Ragna's story arc (Mori's words), BB is the best selling franchise they have, no chance they will stop making games but probably they will take some time to rethink if they want to go full 3D or try to improve the sprites.

mrmickfran

It's a fighting game. A simultaneous release is almost necessary if they want to at least keep their hardcore audience. Otherwise, fans will either import or just wait for the next iteration if it takes too long.

Vashzaron

I was annoyed enough when Bang's VA was switched (esp since I mained him at that point) but this? lol. Now if I even pick up the game at all it'll be when it's worth peanuts.

MechaX

The thing about Guilty Gear is that Guilty Gear pretty much went from it's initial PSX release up to Accent Core with no dub, outside of Overture which almost no one played.

BlazBlue's situation is a little different in the sense that it started with a mostly consistent dub cast since Calamity Trigger, some of the actors had their careers really take off due to BlazBlue (Cristina Vee), and the game is an anomaly for fighting game standards given it's massive visual novel-esque story with mostly dubbed lines.

To be honest, there is a possibility that Aksys may painfully learn here that the bulk of the overseas audience for BlazBlue are not the hardcore FGC folks that wouldn't give a shit about dubs usually, but people who have mostly followed the story and/or liked the dubbing more than the Japanese cast (ironically by virtue of the effort they have been putting into the dub since 2009).

Dremark

Banned
Nah, I think I'll keep using it, because that's how I feel about the fandom at times. I've seen fans who would rather the game not come out than come out under the exact specifications that they want.

How exactly is it entitled to expect the same level of value for a product you're paying for?

If the publisher/developer/localizer/whoever doesn't deliver and still expects to get money, they are the ones being entitled. Games are a business, you're expected to keep the customer happy and you're not entitled (there's that word you love so much again) to money when you fail at that.

Personally, I couldn't care less if the game is dubbed, but I don't see how any rational person can fault someone else for not buying a game that doesn't satisfy them.

Dremark

Banned
Previous games had simultaneous releases or close to it, and those had the best localizations. It wasn't until they started cost cutting that the delays because of the 'localization' became 6+ months long.

Iirc the first game was within the same week as the Japanese version, after that it's been longer, usually several months.

Then they can fuck off.

As some who's bought and completed every iteration of BB I won't be touching this game with a 10 foot pole

The dub is 1/2 the game for me at this point.

Can someone help me understand something?

It seems to be an accepted fact that games with dubs sell better. That's brought up as a reason/defense in every thread where people ask for original JP VA and people who want it are painted as a crazy niche.

Yet here Aksys doesn't want to do a dub and people explain it with "money".

It can't be both can it? You'd think that a dub is a no-brainer if it actually helps sales significantly.

Or is there a certain amount of popularity that is required for a dub to make sense?

FSLink

Banned
The competitive scene imports to get games sooner, and tends not to bother using dubs anyway when playing on localized versions.

Yep. No reason for me to get the localized version if there's no dub. Playing through story mode with JPN voices does not interest me after playing previous entries with ENG voices.

Dremark

Banned
Can someone help me understand something?

It seems to be an accepted fact that games with dubs sell better. That's brought up as a reason/defense in every thread where people ask for original JP VA and people who want it are painted as a crazy niche.

Yet here Aksys doesn't want to do a dub and people explain it with "money".

It can't be both can it? You'd think that a dub is a no-brainer if it actually helps sales significantly.

Or is there a certain amount of popularity that is required for a dub to make sense?

Like most things, regardless of how people want to just generalize everything it's more likely that it differs from case to case.

In this particular case people are assuming that because it's a highly anime styled game most players are less interested in the dub and the potential loss in sales will be offset by the large amount of money saved by not dubbing it.

Since there's pretty much no way to know any of this one way or the other people are making a lot of assumptions. However there's really not a lot to go on aside from that.

Dot-N-Run

Hmmm having played all the previous games in English, this news is a bit disappointing. I really don't have anything against playing something without an English dub, but it would feel really jarring to me to have play through the continuation of a story I have been following for years with all the characters having completely voices than what I am used to. I'll probably hold off on purchasing at release and instead cling to the hope that the English dub will return as dlc or in an extend version. I'll admit it's a foolish hope, but I'll bet on that chance no matter how slim it is.

OVDRobo

Whether it was due to disc space, scheduling conflicts, cost, or some other reason, it is definitely unfortunate that there isn't going to be a dub for this game. Particularly because it is meant to be one of the final games in this series, or sub-series of Blazblue, from what I've read.

As someone who always played in Japanese just because that's what I got used to with fighting games in the 90s, though? The selfish part of me really loves that they're getting CF out sooner.

Top Bottom