• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aksys has no plans to dub BlazBlue Central Fiction [Petition Added to OP]

Decado

This is a fighting game? Definitely the right decision. It lets the community grow together instead of what happens when regions get the game far apart.
Hopefully they take that a step forward and release on pc simultaneously with cross play.

Wild Card

Well, Cristina Vee said the lack of dubs shouldn't stop you from getting the game anyways so...

Well of course she said that, because people went to her and lamented that she's not coming back as Noel. She's not gonna tell people to not get the game.

Unfortunately, getting the game when it doesn't have an english dub is not gonna work for me, so I'll be holding on to my money for the moment.

Stuart444

I do wonder how much this will hurt the sales of the games.

On the one hand, you have people pissed off but will still buy the game purely to finish the story off (considering the cliffhanger of the last game and this being the last of Ragna's story). (yeah I put myself in this category)

On the other hand, many people can't imagine playing the story without the fantastic EN voice cast and thus won't buy the game because of that.

I'd wager far more people got Blazblue for the story mode than people who got it for the fighting. It has even helped introduce people to fighting games

So do I think this will hurt them much? I don't know but I suspect it will hurt them a bit. It's all about how many story fans want to finish the story even if they do it without the voice cast vs who won't buy the game because they can't imagine playing without the voice cast they have loved since the first game.

I don't think Blazblue is a series that can be propped up by the FGC in the west. In Japan, yes but they get the arcade releases anyway so they get a year+ headstart FGC wise.

ED Cantu

This is really disappointing, I play Blazblue mostly for the story and the english dub is one of the best, what's worse is that all the conversations that occur in the middle of a fight between certain characters won't be even subbed.

Personally after this announcement I would wait for the game to be really cheap or buy it used, but I play BB with my brother and he is more serious about the fighting part of the game, and even though he likes the dub too I'm sure he'll buy the game day one.

Garlador

Geez.
I’m disappointed by the news—and I’m especially disappointed to be getting it via tweet. Reaching out to the cast would have been a simple enough courtesy for Aksys to extend. Maybe they think we don’t much care either way, but many of us do. I know I do.
If the sub-only BBCF sells well in America, it’ll be seen as proof that an English dub isn’t essential—that it’s an expensive frippery, as it were, and that they were right to release a pared-down version. At that point, why commit funds to a dub after the fact when they’ve already got your cash in hand? And if BBCF doesn’t sell well, no one’s going to want to throw good money after bad by dubbing something that under-performed in its initial U.S. release.
Some fans just play BlazBlue to whup ass, and that’s fine. But for a lot of folks, the story mode—which has just grown richer with each iteration—is a major draw. The mythos and the relationships between characters have been fleshed out in loving detail, and many among you would rather hear those thousands upon thousands of lines being acted out in English than have to read them.
After all this time, it hurts to be told that we’re not so central to the fiction after all.
That doesn't make me feel any better about this. These guys rocked in their roles.

petran79

Banned
This is really disappointing, I play Blazblue mostly for the story and the english dub is one of the best, what's worse is that all the conversations that occur in the middle of a fight between certain characters won't be even subbed.

Personally after this announcement I would wait for the game to be really cheap or buy it used, but I play BB with my brother and he is more serious about the fighting part of the game, and even though he likes the dub too I'm sure he'll buy the game day one.

I play mostly for the fighting mechanics too. I struggle to learn even one character (Rachel mostly). Played the whole of Calamity Trigger and Continuum Shift story, but did not have any courage for the Chrono Phantasma one, which is even larger!

Skipped straight to the last chapter, only to be left with a cliffhanger! Central Fiction will be by far the largest BB story.

Regarding the BB games so far, they could have skipped the Japanese voices completely since the subs are dubtitles. So unless you really know adequate Japanese, what you read on text does not correspond to the actual dialogue

No dub no buy

Its 2016 I can accept no dub if it means not getting the game at all, but thats not what this is. Its Acksys trying to save money and be cheap. These games are super important friendly for the hardcore who don't want to wait for a dub and want to practice day one, but your general audience who plays these for the story is just getting an inferior product for no reason.

I refuse to play non-dubbed Rachel. The game won't be the same without hearing Taokaka yelling boobie lady.

Garlador

So am I right in thinking importing is the best way to play the game and say this isn't okay?

Pretty much. I mean, for those that just wanted the fighting without waiting, importing was always an option as well.

... I think I'm just going to silently protest by playing the older games again and boning up on what's been happening.

So am I right in thinking importing is the best way to play the game and say this isn't okay?
thats what im doing. I wouldve imported anyway to get started on competitive. Now I just wont be buying a localized version at all because without the dub story mode and arcade mode are worthless anyway

eefara

That or buying it used after a few weeks, importing lets you support the Japanese version though fwiw.

That's pretty much what I'm considering doing now, upon reflection. While BB was my entry for fighting games, I'm really just in it for the story.

I really loved the english voice acting, so I'm kinda bummed about this. It's not going to turn me off from the game though. Still getting it.

Durante

When people complain about not having an English dub, it shows how much people like them now. Back in the day, all people wanted were the original voices cuz it was "pure" or whatever.
I still want the original voica acting. Not because "it's pure or whatever" but for a variety of good reasons I've laid out on GAF so often that I'm sick of it by now.

That people still feel the need to denigrate those who prefer the original voice acting in their media is, frankly, ridiculous, and reflects badly on that group.

Garlador

I still want the original voica acting. Not because "it's pure or whatever" but for a variety of good reasons I've laid out on GAF so often that I'm sick of it by now.

That people still feel the need to denigrate those who prefer the original voice acting in their media is, frankly, ridiculous, and reflects badly on that group.

I'd be upset if they dropped the Japanese voice acting too.

Giving gamers the option is enormously beneficial because there is absolutely a huge portion of the fanbase that prefers the dub (myself among them) or Japanese audio. It's better to cast the widest net possible and bring in as many players as you can, and this is going to alienate a great many of them.

Shizuka

Dual audio > some audio > no audio.

I couldn't care less if it's english or japanese, as long it's not mute and the dub isn't offensively bad.

Hear, hear. I find the reaction to the minority that are upset about lack of Japanese audio in Persona 5's Western release, for example, baffling.

I always opt for Japanese audio when it's there. I understand that it's hard for publishers to get the rights to the JP track at times due to costs or legal bindings. It's disappointing when that happens. In rare cases I don't mind the English dub. XSEED are very open about the impossibility of licensing JP audio from Falcom's games but do a fantastic job with the Trails dubs. I personally dislike the Persona dubs and feel it ill-fitting to have American voices in a Japan-set and grounded game.

But that's beside the point. It's better for everyone if there's the choice and option of both. But when the Japanese dub is part of the original work and the English dub is additional work done by the localisation team, I find it odd that it's the Japanese track that gets treated as a bonus nowadays, not an also relatively expensive English dub.

It is sad that there's no consistency from Aksys by not dubbing this in English like the previous games, but the game is arriving in the West intact with the same content in the original release, just with English text and interface.

petran79

Banned
Dual audio > some audio > no audio.

I couldn't care less if it's english or japanese, as long it's not mute and the dub isn't offensively bad.

I dont mind mute fighting game stories either....

ffsmai-3.png

Garlador

It is sad that there's no consistency from Aksys by not dubbing this in English like the previous games, but the game is arriving in the West intact with the same content in the original release, just with English text and interface.
Of course, the point of a localization is to try and offer not just the same content, but an equivalent EXPERIENCE.

Hearing character banter in a language I understand sucks me into the game far more than dialogue that I no longer understand. Blazblue is thick with story and character-driven moments and dialogue - in and out of matches and story modes. A huge chunk of the game, and the majority of its supplementary content, is dialogue and character driven.

And not all of that gets subtitles. I'm pretty sure they're not going to subtitle in-game match dialogue during the battle. Previously, English players could simply listen to the dialogue passively and the lines were part of the charm. Now, if you don't understand it, that facet of the game is lost entirely during gameplay or other moments.

It's now an imbalanced experience for the English-speaking player. They're not getting as much out of it as the Japanese-speaking players do.

I'm one of those guys that values fighting games for their personality more than for their mechanics. One of those dirty casual scrubs who plays these games mostly single player or with only one or two friends who have any interest in fgs. Blazblue has always appealed to me in the past because the characters were so thick with personality, and a lot of that came through in the stellar english voice acting.

Without an english dub I won't understand the interfight banter and much of the enjoyment I personally got out of the single player mode was specifically the voice delivery of the cast which made it enjoyable to listen to despite the storymode of BB being either rather boring or plain incomprehensible. I doubt gag endings will work at ALL without the voice cast to bring them alive.

So it sucks that isn't included for me and actively detracts from a major reason I got into BB in the first place. I still think I'll play the game eventually, but I don't think I can justify spending $60 for it.

Uraizen

Banned
Why? What they say is still true. They said the choice was between no dub now and dub in 6-8 months. They didn't say -why- they chose no dub now over dub in 6-8 months, and it'll be silly to think money didn't factor into that. Get [x] amounts of sales now by spending less, or get [less than x] amounts of sales in 6-8 months by spending more. Hmmmm...

I passed on Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax because of this exact reason. By the time it made it here the new version was on consoles in Japan. So I didn't buy the localized version and imported the new one instead. So yeah, waiting too long would make me pass on it.

kewlmyc

I thought this was interesting to read, Patrick Seitz's thoughts on the matter:

Damn that sucks. He was Ragna to me, and to find out you're not going to be finishing off the character you played for 8 years via a tweet is pretty depressing. I was originally for Aksys decision to not dub the game, but the more I hear about the situation, the less I support their decision. I still want to see how the story ends, so I might just rent this one for a week.

If you don't want to give Aksys any money because you don't support their decision I suppose this would work.

I don't think they make any money off of JP sales since I'm assuming another company is handling publishing there if not ArcSys themselves.

I thought this was interesting to read, Patrick Seitz's thoughts on the matter:

Just brutal. Aren't courtesy calls a standard thing? I remember it was brought up during the David Hayter/MGS5 thing where IIRC they didn't even bother to call him that he wasn't reprising his role as Snake. Seems like common decency to give them a heads up imo.

Xav

Options are good BUT with that said...

never in my life have I ever picked the English dub over the Japanese dub in a fighting game.

Garlador

Because they didn't call him to tell him they have no job for him this time ?

A lot of voice actors tend to at least expect it as consistent work after so many years, as it's a job to look forward to being paid for. "Oh, I voiced this character for 8-15 years. I was partially responsible for even dubbing the anime adaption for them. They know me. I worked for them as not just as a voice actor but behind the scenes but also as a localizer and promoter and... they couldn't even give me a head's up that I won't have a job on this one."

Yeah, it's common decency.

Rutger

Banned
So by the looks of it there isn't even any plan to dub the inevitable Extend release?

I mean, sure, an Extend version is likely, but that's still over a year from now. Aksys has no way to talk about something that technically doesn't exist right now as far as Arcsys is concerned.

Edit: that and why would they want to talk about something that could hurt the sales of BBCF?

Astral

I mean, sure, an Extend version is likely, but that's still over a year from now. Aksys has no way to talk about something that technically doesn't exist right now as far as Arcsys is concerned.

Edit: that and why would they want to talk about something that could hurt the sales of BBCF?

No dub will already hurt their sales lol. Maybe. I'm definitely not buying it anymore. It just kind of sounds like they have absolutely no interest in a dub whether it's this release or a future release.

A lot of voice actors tend to at least expect it as consistent work after so many years, as it's a job to look forward to being paid for. "Oh, I voiced this character for 8-15 years. I was partially responsible for even dubbing the anime adaption for them. They know me. I worked for them as not just as a voice actor but behind the scenes but also as a localizer and promoter and... they couldn't even give me a head's up that I won't have a job on this one."

Bear with me , like david hayter & MGSV ? the same kind of expectation ?

Garlador

Bear with me , like david hayter & MGSV ? the same kind of expectation ?

I was thinking of that as I typed it. And, yeah, it was ridiculously unprofessional to do Hayter so dirty too.

Even Nintendo was smart enough to get Hayter to do the voice work for Smash. Hell, AFTER the game came out, Konami tossed him a bone to do some Metal Gear voice work for ridiculous car commercials...

Metal Gear may be more popular than Blazblue, but it wasn't right when Konami/Kojima did it either.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Honestly, it's not that simple. Far from it, I think. I am a little curious on if something NA has something to it. There has been quite a bit of cost cutting in the anime circles, maybe that has something to do with it.
Ya its prolly not thaaat simple but even so thats a big step which could be taken. But heck, even if they dropped the dub anyway, that step could still lead to a simultaneous release rather than the 1 month apart one!

I always though he was one of the most impressive performances for the entire cast as well. Such a shame, I've said it many times already at this point and probably will again soon, but this blows. It's a future I honestly had never considered a possibility, yet somehow we are left with this.
Welcome to the club! -_-

Sadly its happened to a buncha different series yet gaf and lotsa the internet fall on the "well just be happy you're getting it" sword anyhow. However in the case of a fighting game, no matter how expansive the story mode, that don't work cause they could prolly get away with releasing it menu-translation only. Meaning that even aside from the strong localization record BB already has there'd nearly be a 100% guarantee we'd be getting it anyhow.

Careful now! Wording like that almost makes voice actors sound... entitled! to a courtesy call! Being sarcastic of course but with the way discussions go lately we're virtually on the cusp of calling everybody but the publisher entitled ~_~

Top Bottom