• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alamo Drafthouse hosting women-only Wonder Woman screenings June 6th

Fun experience though, you're demonized when you dare share an opinion most don't agree with, and are accused of being attention seeking and trolling, while genuinely looking to better your opinions and get some needed perspective. (Which I got, and I'm thankful for it.)

You've taken a nice thing for women and little girls and made it about some oddity you've concocted in your mind. Forget "optics" and all that other nonsense. The first female lead superhero movie in decades, and your focusing on dookie.

The fact that they could screen on 9 screens for everyone, but 1 just for women would still bother you is exactly what I said earlier..just you. And some idiot MRA dopes. I'll sit in this side, where I'll be watching it with my wife and daughter next Friday..

LionPride

Banned
You've taken a nice thing for women and little girls and made it about some oddity you've concocted in your mind. Forget "optics" and all that other nonsense. The first female lead superhero movie in decades, and your focusing on dookie.

The fact that they could screen on 9 screens for everyone, but 1 just for women would still bother you is exactly what I said earlier..just you. And some idiot MRA dopes. I'll shit in this side, where I'll be watching it with my wife and daughter next Friday..
Hey now

It's tge first female led superhero movie in like 12 years if we count Catwoman and Elektra

Platy

Manoko, your biggest problem seems to be with PROTAGONISM.

Yes, males can have voices on feminism. No, they are not the fucking protagonists of women's rights.

Long story short, it means that you are welcome as an ally and in the lack of a women you are free to say what you think women want. But if a woman says you are wrong you shut the fuck up. If you are going to count argument that woman, you better bring sources of other woman talking about that because or else you are taking the protagonism. And men thinking they know what is best for women is what got us into this mess in the first place.

Same for white people and racism. I am happy to help, but if a black person say something is shitty, I will take their word and go fight it like a warcraft 3 unity. Ready to work !

So this is like when your bosses close themselves in a room. Usually they do this to plan strategies but this time is just to talk shit about people and drink the freebies the company offers. So low rank employees are out =P

I have no issue with the theater doing this, but I do not see any merit to your comparison.

The burrito truck story was, generously, people being perhaps too critical of the burrito truck, and people criticized them for doing so. Here, people are being too critical of the theater. It's an entirely valid comparison.

Manoko

The fact that they could screen on 9 screens for everyone, but 1 just for women would still bother you is exactly what I said earlier..just you. And some idiot MRA dopes. I'll shit in this side, where I'll be watching it with my wife and daughter next Friday..

I'll have to google MRA, the other poster told me I was being part of that too.

To be completely fair, I believe Wonder Woman is a nice thing to little girls indeed and we need more female leads like that. But still, I'd feel off if little boys couldn't attend a screening because it's about empowering girls.

I know I'm stubborn sorry ! :D
But I agree it's for the best, that specific screening I mean, not my stubborness !

Fat4all

Banned
So I shouldn't reply to people directly quoting my posts ?
What are you guys even talking about, that's ridiculous.

those people debating you were the only reason I read your posts (which just turned out to be the same exact post over and over)

props on them for putting up with it.

The burrito truck story was, generously, people being perhaps too critical of the burrito truck, and people criticized them for doing so. Here, people are being too critical of the theater. It's an entirely valid comparison.

I really want to know what those burritos tasted like

Manoko

Manoko, your biggest problem seems to be with PROTAGONISM.

Yes, males can have voices on feminism. No, they are not the fucking protagonists of women's rights.

Long story short, it means that you are welcome as an ally and in the lack of a women you are free to say what you think women want. But if a woman says you are wrong you shut the fuck up. If you are going to count argument that woman, you better bring sources of other woman talking about that because or else you are taking the protagonism. And men thinking they know what is best for women is what got us into this mess in the first place.

Same for white people and racism. I am happy to help, but if a black person say something is shitty, I will take their word and go fight it like a warcraft 3 unity. Ready to work !

So this is like when your bosses close themselves in a room. Usually they do this to plan strategies but this time is just to talk shit about people and drink the freebies the company offers. So low rank employees are out =P

This seems completely counterproductive to me but, at this point, if I try to argue with that I'm going to be "seeking attention" again !

those people debating you were the only reason I read your posts (which just turned out to be the same exact post over and over)

props on them for putting up with it.

Still, people replied to me and I have the right to reply to them.
Don't come at me with that exhaustion crap. You're not willing to read my posts ? Well, good that you don't have to.

Shaanyboi

Banned

To be completely fair, I believe Wonder Woman is a nice thing to little girls indeed and we need more female leads like that. But still, I'd feel off if little boys couldn't attend a screening because it's about empowering girls.

But I agree it's for the best, that specific screening I mean, not my stubborness !
Boys can see this movie with girls at literally any other time.

LionPride

Banned

It's one fucking screening

Well I'm not familiar with them, but if it allows poor families access to something the riches have (in that case food), then I'm obviously all for it.

You guys are trying to turn me into some sort of evil monster simply because I'm having a different opinion than you on a gender-exclusive screening.

My point is that there are situations where discrimination is objectively a good thing (food stamps), so pointing out that this is discriminatory doesn't actually mean anything.

These are one-off event screenings, most not even on opening weekend, they're not keeping any boys from seeing the movie. They're not keeping men from sharing the movie with the women and girls in their life that they care about.

They're just offering a fun, empowering, environment for women to see the film with their peers and not with needy, judgmental fuckos like some of you nerds.

Manoko

My point is that there are situations where discrimination is objectively a good thing (food stamps), so pointing out that this is discriminatory doesn't actually mean anything.

That food stamp example is a "discrimination" which directly counters another one (the access to food).

They're just offering a fun, empowering, environment for women to see the film with their peers and not with needy, judgmental fuckos like some of you nerds.

I have no words, insane how aggressive some people are about this.

Sealioning at its best.
This one?
Sealion-Comic.png

Manoko

But safe spaces are a response to discrimination as well.

Right, but they don't help solve the problem itself, that's what I'm saying.
The existence of safe-space is in itself showing that "share space" (by which I mean, everywhere else but safe space) isn't good enough.

You run a school: you see that some boys bully girls.
Separating the boys from the girls "solves" the problem at that particular moment, but doesn't help in the long run.

Sai-kun

Banned
The existence of safe-space is in itself showing that "share space" (by which I mean, everywhere else but safe space) isn't good enough.

it is not the sole responsibility of the people in those safe spaces to make the outside world safer for themselves. it's in the name. it's a safe space for them to be.

Share space is not a sufficient thing, you are right. Not every solution has to be the solution to the problem. It can be argued that food stamps are not a solution to the problem - some people get less than they need, and right now we are seeing just how fragile the entire system is as Trump plans to cut funds to food stamps on a grandiose scale. Food stamps is a band-aid to deal with the problem of poverty. Wouldn't the ideal solution be that these people didn't need food stamps?

ReiGun

Sometimes women just want to spend time with women without the presence of men. That's fun for a lot of women and girls. Even if you want to look at it from the cynical lens of being nothing but a marketing ploy, more businesses should realize there's money to be made in offering events where women can do just that.

And if you're a guy, why would you even want to....Okay, I can hazard a guess as to why you would want to attend an women's only event. But my God, you would have to be incredibly dense to walk into that theater and not realize just how much you're not wanted and how uncomfortable you're probably making everyone.

It's like subpar..lol

Sometimes women just want to spend time with women without the presence of men. That's fun for a lot of women and girls. Even if you want to look at it from the cynical lens of being nothing but a marketing ploy, more businesses should realize there's money to be made in offering events where women can do just that.

And if you're a guy, why would you even want to....Okay, I can hazard a guess as to why you would want to attend an women's only event. But my God, you would have to be incredibly dense to walk into that theater and not realize just how much you're not wanted and how uncomfortable you're probably making everyone.

You're going way too deep, honestly. It's just a damn screening out of many. And as a feminist, you gonna take it as a bad thing? Folks need to move on.

That food stamp example is a "discrimination" which directly counters another one (the access to food).

I have no words, insane how aggressive some people are about this.

No aggression at all here, just amusement that you thought I was talking about you.

Slayven

Clap_Hanz_Logo.png

Manoko

Share space is not a sufficient thing, you are right. Not every solution has to be the solution to the problem. It can be argued that food stamps are not a solution to the problem - some people get less than they need, and right now we are seeing just how fragile the entire system is as Trump plans to cut funds to food stamps on a grandiose scale. Food stamps is a band-aid to deal with the problem of poverty. Wouldn't the ideal solution be that these people didn't need food stamps?

You're right, I agree.

Food stamps are definitely needed, but as with other band-aid solutions, what is your opinion on it maybe distracting people from actually fighting the source of that injustice ?

No aggression at all here, just amusement that you thought I was talking about you.

Who said I think you were talking about me ? I didn't, re-read my post, you assumed this.
I just commented that you were insanely insulting to some people in this thread.

LionPride

Banned
It's like subpar..lol
My god

You run a school: you see that some boys bully girls.
Separating the boys from the girls "solves" the problem at that particular moment, but doesn't help in the long run.
It's not my responsibilty to make the world less racist to me

A safe space is designed because we ain't got a lotta places to turn to where we can...feel safe.

You're right, I agree.

Food stamps are definitely needed, but as with other band-aid solutions, what is your opinion on it maybe distracting people from actually fighting the source of that injustice ?

Who said I think you were talking about me ? I didn't, re-read my post, you assumed this.
I just commented that you were insanely insulting to some people in this thread.

To your first point, I'm sure that if you didn't have to spend your arguing with us all about safe spaces, you'd be using that time to fight the actual source of that injustice. Clearly a crippling distraction... *Eye roll*

To your second point... Hm... I'm ok with that.

You're right, I agree.

Band-aids are not a distraction, the distraction is talking about whether we should stop doing something before the problem is fixed. We don't remove the band-aid until the wound is healed.

Funny how a woman's only event gets backlash from males.

But men have been doing this...well since forever. God forbid woman want do the same thing. Something for ourselves. As soon as we do this, all of a sudden it's about equality. All of a sudden they care. Give me a break.

Why must we crawl and claw for anything? It's tiring.

Good on the theater for not falling to pressure.

Manoko

Band-aids are not a distraction, the distraction is talking about whether we should stop doing something before the problem is fixed. We don't remove the band-aid until the wound is healed.

Right, but this band-aid gives the illusion that the wound is healed, or healing, while it clearly isn't.

ReiGun

It's like subpar..lol

You're going way too deep, honestly. It's just a damn screening out of many. And as a feminist, you gonna take it as a bad thing? Folks need to move on.

??? I'm not sure I'm following you. Are you agreeing with me? Because I'm basically saying it's fine and not a big deal.

Right, but this band-aid gives the illusion that the wound is healed, or healing, while it clearly isn't.

Huh? No it does not. Safe spaces exist to give people a means by which to safely discuss things they face. The need for safe spaces inherently demonstrate that the problem isn't healing.

Platy

This seems completely counterproductive to me but, at this point, if I try to argue with that I'm going to be "seeking attention" again !

Please explain better why letting the people who actually experience most of the shit firsthand command is counterproductive ?

Oh wait I forgot I am talking to someone that is probably from a country that choose a guy who had charisma and zero experience to rule over a person with less charisma and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more experience.

??? I'm not sure I'm following you. Are you agreeing with me? Because I'm basically saying it's fine and not a big deal.

Yeah, son lol..totally agreeing. Just stating you're explaining way too much..no need. Folks need to get over this shit. It's for a good cause. Not done on some malicious shit..

---

And gone..damn it..

Robaperas

This one?
Sealion-Comic.png

More like
Asking in Bad Faith

So what does asking in bad faith mean?

When you ask a question in bad faith, you are essentially looking for a way to demean, degrade, or otherwise destroy your target. A good example of an obviously bad faith question is the perennial favorite "When did you stop beating your wife?" as it instantly casts doubt upon the person asked the question.

However, it's easy to ask a question in bad faith using reasoned, good faith practices. Neutral phrasing does not always guarantee a question is asked in good faith. This is extremely obvious in documented sealioning; the target responds, only for the questioner to immediately grill them for more information, misinterpret the answer, or dismiss it entirely.

The purpose of sealioning never to actually learn or become more informed. The purpose is to interrogate. Much like actual interrogators, sealioners bombard the target with question after question, digging and digging until the target either says something stupid or is so pissed off that they react in the extreme.

Welp...

ReiGun

If Monoko didn't get it by now, he wasn't going to. Y'all did every except draw dude a chart.

Yeah, son lol..totally agreeing. Just stating you're explaining way too much..no need. Folks need to get over this shit. It's for a good cause. Not done on some malicious shit..

Okay cool. lol I'm always on edge in these threads.

People should get over it, but so many are really bothered by the idea that they don't get a seat at every table. People overinflate their importance.

EmiPrime

I'm not, but being banned for it for my ethnicity, without looking further to see if I actually care about the movement and try to help it whichever way I can is silly.

From the feminism angle, we don't need nor want people like you. Sincerely.

Everything has to be about you, you're so fragile you can't even accept a women only film screening for a nerd film despite the well publicised misogyny in nerd spaces.

You demanding access to everything and acting like a wounded animal (or concern trolling) at the thought of women only or BME events is the epitome of white male privilege. You are part of the problem.

Edit: Oh he's banned. Bye.

Shucks, and I was hoping he'd go into my movie thread and contribute posts to it so more people would see it :(

I've had a theater in my city do a female showing for Ghostbusters 2016 and both 50 Shades of Grey, and no one really cared or protested. Maybe because it isn't a loved chain like Alamo Drafthouse.

ReiGun

Moving the topic back to how cool this is, it makes me wish we had an Alamo in Baltimore. A lot of my comic loving female students and friends would dig an event like this.

If Monoko didn't get it by now, he wasn't going to. Y'all did every except draw dude a chart.

Okay cool. lol I'm always on edge in these threads.

People should get over it, but so many are really bothered by the idea that they don't get a seat at every table. People overinflate their importance.

You damaged bastard!

Yeah..can't even begin to understand an ally actually arguing about this. Just bizarre..

I might be exaggerating.

Oh, you..don't tell me you're one of those 50ppp weirdos.

Top Bottom