• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake PC | Tech, performance and information thread

hwalker84

Is anyone playing this with a GTX285 and 2gig of RAM?
How does the game run?

I'm playing it with 8 GB of ram and a GTX280 and i'm getting really decent performance. 4xAA, Low FXAA, 16xAF, everything else @ High, Resolution 1680x1050, Draw Distance and Detail Distance are toned down. Getting max 30FPS and highly playable.

Is anyone playing this with a GTX285 and 2gig of RAM?
How does the game run?

Everything maxed out except AA @ 4x and SSAO off, over 30fps all the time. It hovers around 40-50 most of the time at the lake house, 60fps inside. You'll be happy. I wish I could lock it to 30fps though.

Edit: 1680x1050, with a factory overclocked 285.

Everything maxed out except AA @ 4x and SSAO off, over 30fps all the time. It hovers around 40-50 most of the time at the lake house, 60fps inside. You'll be happy. I wish I could lock it to 30fps though.

Why don't you lock the framerate at 30 with Dxtory?

My download is going so slow...Still over an hour to go.

79c999a52391840b586db3e523ca3b8b74e95e51.jpg

SkyWake?

AlanRim?

Anyway, Alan Wake looks amazing guys... to bad I still have lots of backlog on me and haven't play anything since Crysis 2 =(

I'll get this after I finish at least 3 or 5 games!

Anyway have fun!

After some fiddling, turns out the "Godray quality" being turned on drops my framerate a full 10 fps. According to Remedy's graphics settings guide, the Godrays are as follows:

GODRAY QUALITY - Off, High. God Rays from the sun are on only during daytime scenes. On a low end graphics card this can take a lot of performance for little visual benefit - it's a cool but rather subtle effect. This setting has no effect on performance or visuals during night time.

So on one hand, it will only hurt my performance during the day time, when there's little action going on. On the other hand, there's virtually no difference as far as I can tell:

Pic1 Pic2

I took these a moment ago, the only difference being the Godrays settings being on or off (and a 10 fps drop when on). I don't actually know which is which.

[EDIT] Without the God Rays turned on, I'm getting around 40 fps with my 4890. High settings on most things, and 8x AA. Lowering AA only improved 1-2 fps.

scitek

After some fiddling, turns out the "Godray quality" being turned on drops my framerate a full 10 fps. According to Remedy's graphics settings guide, the Godrays are as follows:

So on one hand, it will only hurt my performance during the day time, when there's little action going on. On the other hand, there's virtually no difference as far as I can tell:

Pic1 Pic2

I took these a moment ago, the only difference being the Godrays settings being on or off (and a 10 fps drop when on). I don't actually know which is which.

[EDIT] Without the God Rays turned on, I'm getting around 40 fps with my 4890. High settings on most things, and 8x AA. Lowering AA only improved 1-2 fps.

You'll likely only notice the Godrays through foliage and stuff like that.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's lame that Nightmare difficulty is locked out until you beat normal. Normal is too easy, but Nightmare feels perfect. Combat is much more tense.

Ceebs

A 3Ghz core2 duo and a 4850 won't really cut it at 14x9 will it :S

I borrowed my friend's Steam account to try it out on my older system. I am running it on on the high preset at 1400X900 with a Phenom II 550 and a 4870. Getting about 40fps during the day and 30 at night. A few dips into the 20's but still very very playable. (Lets just say that it feels butter smooth after playing that PS3 Mass Effect demo earlier)

I would bet knocking down the draw distance would keep it above 30 at all times. This old monitor is a godsend for extending the life of a CPU and video card.

Nelo Ice

Banned
It's lame that Nightmare difficulty is locked out until you beat normal. Normal is too easy, but Nightmare feels perfect. Combat is much more tense.

Still? Was hoping to just play through on nightmare when I pick this up for hopefully a good discount during the summer sale. Already played through the 360 version on Hard and collected everything. Only thing I haven't done is a Nightmare playthrough and the DLCs.

Oh wow, last I heard was that the PC version was cancelled and it was console exclusive, so this is a pleasant surprise for me! Too big a backlog right now though, but will definitely pick this up when it goes on sale.

Sethos

Banned

There's an FPS lock feature in Nvidia Inspector.

commissar

I borrowed my friend's Steam account to try it out on my older system. I am running it on on the high preset at 1400X900 with a Phenom II 550 and a 4870. Getting about 40fps during the day and 30 at night. A few dips into the 20's but still very very playable. (Lets just say that it feels butter smooth after playing that PS3 Mass Effect demo earlier)

I would bet knocking down the draw distance would keep it above 30 at all times. This old monitor is a godsend for extending the life of a CPU and video card.

thanks for the feedback :D

downloading now!
(really really slowly)

Jtrizzy

How important is it that I pick up the manuscripts? Its really annoying that little icon stays in the corner till I go read it.

scitek

So has anyone else tried the -noblur command? It works for me for like a minute and then the blur turns back on for some reason. I think it's whenever a scripted event that controls the camera happens.

leng jai

Only about 30 minutes in but I'm getting 40-60 fps on my rig at 1080p/2xAA max settings on 2500k @ 4Ghz and an overlocked 570.

FGMPR

Banned
Fucking Steam...

10hours later and the game still hasn't downloaded. Every server I try lands me with 100 k/s max speed with constant drops to zero. Say all you want about EA and Origin, but I get a consistent 800k/s on their servers. I certainly don't have to put up with shit like this...

Just played the first 45 minutes or so. Happy to say that I was getting a locked 60fps with everything max and 4xMSAA on 2x5870s and a stock i5 2500k. Love this game.

commissar

I think steam has a limit on bandwidth per title. I've been getting 100KB/s too, but then the DOTA 2 patch came down at the same time at 1+MB/s :\

FGMPR

Banned
I think steam has a limit on bandwidth per title. I've been getting 100KB/s too, but then the DOTA 2 patch came down at the same time at 1+MB/s :\

I randomly tried a couple of games like 'Arx Fatalis' and 'Borderlands' and both of those hit 400k/s instantly. AW meanwhile has downloaded 16 megs in the past 20mins.

I have 400megs to go and at this rate I won't be playing until tomorrow. It's absolutely infuriating.

squidyj

Oh wow, last I heard was that the PC version was cancelled and it was console exclusive, so this is a pleasant surprise for me! Too big a backlog right now though, but will definitely pick this up when it goes on sale.

slowpoke_pokemon.gif

But seriously this game is pretty sweet even though the amount of blurry warping effects is giving me a headache. Runs just fine on my OCed 570 and i7-970, maxed.

Jtrizzy

Yeah I'm glad this came out for pc. So is there an ammo spot before each big fight? I'm stuck at a part where I don't have enough ammo.

they should've just left the thermoses out of the game though.

The -noblur launch option described in the PC support FAQ does not appear to be working for me. That is the option to disable motion blur right? Anyone else having any luck?

Edit:
Oops missed this post on this page:

So has anyone else tried the -noblur command? It works for me for like a minute and then the blur turns back on for some reason. I think it's whenever a scripted event that controls the camera happens.

I'll have to check again and see if I'm having this same issue.

hlhbk

For those having issues with download speeds I always am able to download from most servers at 1.4 MB per second at minimum. Sounds like an issue with not knowing which servers to be on and/or local ISP issues.

Jtrizzy

So not that I truly understand this kind of thing, but this game doesn't seem to use much of my cpu power at all. (i7@4.2) The most taxing areas are when you stand under the checkpoint lights.

If I stand there and pan the camera I get 99% gpu usage, and with the temp maxing at 79. At the same time the cpu seems to be under very little stress.

NBtoaster

Twice now I've had a bug where a FMV wouldn't start, blocking my progress :\

Tried validating the files on Steam the first time it happened, but it just happened again..

Game is gorgeous though, playing everything maxed on a 570, 30-60fps at 900p.

alanwake2012-02-1718-0kj0a.png

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yup, this game is stunning, and I'm not even playing with maxed settings. I must have spent like 15 minutes just taking Fraps shots outside of the cabin, dat lake.

Erudite

Played the first episode, and everything but the characters look great.

Everyone in this game has an uncanny valley look, especially when they start to talk, something just doesn't look right.

Performance has been smooth, haven't had any major hiccups on an i5 2500k, 4gb ram, 560 GTX setup; playing at 1080p, max settings with 2xAA & 16xAF.

Played the first episode, and everything but the characters look great.

Everyone in this game has an uncanny valley look, especially when they start to talk, something just doesn't look right.

Oh yeah. Cutscenes are kind of ruined with low quality video and poor facial animations but 99% of the game is gorgeous.

Suddenly, the -noblur option is working for me. I just relaunched the game and the motion blur was gone.

NBtoaster

Damn FMVs. They either skip and block my progress or I miss a bit of plot :\

No one else seems to be having this problem...here, on SPUF or the ALan Wake forums :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just played for 20 minutes or so... need to go to bed now, though.

The game looks... nice. The lighting and such is cool, but the fact that this game was in development in like 2005 or so really shows. I love the atmosphere of the town, though.

Top Bottom