• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake PC | Tech, performance and information thread

It dumps me right after i've already used all the flares though :(

I remember using all the flares once during one of my playthrough on the 360: are you sure there aren't anymore around? It's just strange that the game leaves you with no flares when you need them.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Really glad they added FXAA to PC version. This game really benefits from a touch of softness that AA method provides. Otherwise it looks too harsh for the atmosphere they wanted to portray, not to mention it makes some of the assets stand out in a bad way, as they are rendered in higher resolution now.

Does PC version has more or different lighting though? Look at this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35187552&postcount=24
The difference is far beyond just image quality. It's similar with another screen that shows trees. X360 version looks more faded and subdued in both cases.

Some guy over on the Nvidia forums said to try running the game with the SLI profile 0x02502805 (F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin). I just tried it, and although there is quite a lot of flicker, the game runs like a dream. So I wouldn't call it a fix, but it gives me hope that the game can be made to work well with SLI.

Woohoo! It flickers for a couple of seconds then clears up. Nice to see a workaround so my second GTX560 isn't going to waste but it's a shame they kind of lied about 3D vision. The lights and shadows are messed up like with unsupported titles.

Really glad they added FXAA to PC version. This game really benefits from a touch of softness that AA method provides. Otherwise it looks too harsh for the atmosphere they wanted to portray, not to mention it makes some of the assets stand out in a bad way, as they are rendered in higher resolution now.

Does PC version has more or different lighting though? Look at this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35187552&postcount=24
The difference is far beyond just image quality. It's similar with another screen that shows trees. X360 version looks more faded and subdued in both cases.

Here is Remedy's run down of PC vs 360 graphical features/settings:

http://forum.alanwake.com/showpost.php?p=138982&postcount=6

It seems like most of the lighting options would have been set to low and medium and shadow rendering apparently changed some on the PC version.

FGMPR

Banned
I remember using all the flares once during one of my playthrough on the 360: are you sure there aren't anymore around? It's just strange that the game leaves you with no flares when you need them.

Yeah I've looked everywhere. Ah well, at least the game is awesome...

AlStrong

Cloud coverage is dynamic, so that could be affecting things. The lighting seems identical in other screens I've seen (not talking about god rays or lighting in fog i.e. volumetric lighting)

Yeah I've looked everywhere. Ah well, at least the game is awesome...

the game regularly takes away all your stuff and then gives a bit back to you at a time. at least once an episode in fact. the order in which it gives stuff back varies.

so use those batteries. use those flare guns. use those flares. use those shotguns and rifles. saving for a rainy day is most likely to see you struggle through with the pistol and flashlight only to get all your cool shit you were saving taken off you.

Any issues with AMD cards?

amazingly, no.

Is it normal that the enemies look so blurry when they are engulfed in darkness?? its too much, having difficulty seeing how many enemies are attacking you, I dont remember it being so hard to to tell in the 360 version.

AEREC

i7 @2.87 GHZ and Gefore 460 1GB here and Im getting around 40 fps (best guesstimate) most of the time with all settings on High, SSAO off, 2x AA, 2x antiscoptric, and no FXAA, 1920x1080.

Why is there no Alan Wake PC or at least spoiler thread? I want to share these interesting screenshots, but they're kinda spoilery. I would make one, if I wasn't a junior lol.

aaaand i'm going back to playing this on 360 (haven't finished Signal/Writer)

People can laugh all they want but it's still an damn fine optimzation on the platform.

My PC version still microstutters to all hell and no amount of tweaking I did got rid of it. It says it's running at 30 but doesn't feel like it.

Still happy to give Remedy my monies though. Maybe I'll revisit down the road if I build another dedicated desktop.

People can laugh all they want but it's still an damn fine optimzation on the platform.

My PC version still microstutters to all hell and no amount of tweaking I did got rid of it. It says it's running at 30 but doesn't feel like it.

Still happy to give Remedy my monies though. Maybe I'll revisit down the road if I build another dedicated desktop.

That's unfortunate. What are your specs?

I had your same problem, FRAPS says 30fps but the game has a really jittery feeling, before you give up on the game though, try this:

Get http://www.bandicam.com/

Cap the FPS to 30, and put a hotkey so you can toggle it in game, feel how it affects in the game.

Play the game and activate/deactivate the cap. It normalized the "feeling" in the game for me.

Hope it helps you.

FGMPR

Banned
Is this right before the big wooden gate? There is one section in Chap. 2 where it seems intentional that you have nothing but your flashlight.

Yeah that's the section. The
kidnapper
tells you to grab the flares out of the emergency box and use them, but it auto-saved after I had already used them all so and dealing with that section with no gun and just a flashlight was just too difficult.

I've already gone back to the start and re-done the chapter (this time holding in the MMB instead of letting it go, lol).

I had your same problem, FRAPS says 30fps but the game has a really jittery feeling, before you give up on the game though, try this:

Get http://www.bandicam.com/

Cap the FPS to 30, and put a hotkey so you can toggle it in game, feel how it affects in the game.

Play the game and activate/deactivate the cap. It normalized the "feeling" in the game for me.

Hope it helps you.

Thanks, I already tried capping it with DXtory. Didn't really help =/

FGMPR

Banned
the game regularly takes away all your stuff and then gives a bit back to you at a time. at least once an episode in fact. the order in which it gives stuff back varies.

so use those batteries. use those flare guns. use those flares. use those shotguns and rifles. saving for a rainy day is most likely to see you struggle through with the pistol and flashlight only to get all your cool shit you were saving taken off you.

amazingly, no.

Noted. Thanks.

derFeef

Yeah that's the section. The
kidnapper
tells you to grab the flares out of the emergency box and use them, but it auto-saved after I had already used them all so and dealing with that section with no gun and just a flashlight was just too difficult.

I've already gone back to the start and re-done the chapter (this time holding in the MMB instead of letting it go, lol).

Ah no, thats a bite more ahead and you really need those flares I think. You can do it with your flashlight, but it takes time if you don't have batteries. There should be
flash bang grenades
available to you soon.
And yes, use what you have, don't save it!

Yasae

Banned
Shaking My Head AA?
image.php

He's lookin kinda jaggy there.

Okay using Vsync in-game as opposed to forcing it through Nvidia CP helped quite a bit

Also turning of DXtory completely.

Still wish there was a cmdline to lock the framerate =(

Runs pretty well.. anywhere between 40 and 70 fps with my 7970. Running at 2560x1440 @ max settings

The transition between the bink videos and gameplay is especially jarring, though..

I never realized that there were so many pre-rendered movies in the game when I played it on the xbox 360, but man is it ever obvious here..

I never played Alan Wake before, is it more like the original Silent Hill or something like Heavy Rain?

I loved Silent Hill's eerie, creepy feel, and its blend of exploration and action but Heavy Rain was dull and dreary to me -- it seemed I was just going from place to place triggering preset responses from characters, and the weird control system for opening doors, drawers, and such grew pretty tedious until I didn't even bother completing it. Would I like Alan Wake on PC?

Okay using Vsync in-game as opposed to forcing it through Nvidia CP helped quite a bit

Also turning of DXtory completely.

Still wish there was a cmdline to lock the framerate =(

yay! glad to be of service somewhat. i've run into that before where the ingame vsync OR the forced vsync is weird, but the other one isn't. not entirely sure what that happens sometimes. Crysis 2 was like that. one had realllllly bad control lag, and one didn't. can't remember which though.

I never played Alan Wake before, is it more like the original Silent Hill or something like Heavy Rain?

I loved Silent Hill's eerie, creepy feel, and its blend of exploration and action but Heavy Rain was dull and dreary to me -- it seemed I was just going from place to place triggering preset responses from characters, and the weird control system for opening doors, drawers, and such grew pretty tedious until I didn't even bother completing it. Would I like Alan Wake on PC?

Nothing like Heavy Rain. Action wise it's a 3rd person shooter. You must shine a flashlight or flares at enemies until you remove the darkness, which basically works like a shadowy shield, before you can do any real damage with your gun. That's the mechanic that differentiates it from other shooters. The atmosphere is more Silent Hill or a mix of Silent Hill and Twin Peaks.

yay! glad to be of service somewhat. i've run into that before where the ingame vsync OR the forced vsync is weird, but the other one isn't. not entirely sure what that happens sometimes. Crysis 2 was like that. one had realllllly bad control lag, and one didn't. can't remember which though.

Using DXtory reintroduces it pretty badly though =(

Nothing like Heavy Rain. Action wise it's a 3rd person shooter. You must shine a flashlight or flares at enemies until you remove the darkness, which basically works like a shadowy shield, before you can do any real damage with your gun. That's the mechanic that differentiates it from other shooters. The atmosphere is more Silent Hill or a mix of Silent Hill and Twin Peaks.

Great, thank you! I loved Twin Peaks too, so I'm going to go and download this from Steam right now.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I'm not going to get around to playing this yet...but I kind of want to buy it just to support Remedy's efforts.

That's what I did, I don't really have any plans on playing through it right now but I'll happily support their decisions with a measly 20-30 dollars or w/e the game cost.

That's what I did, I don't really have any plans on playing through it right now but I'll happily support their decisions with a measly 20-30 dollars or w/e the game cost.
Yea i agree they could've let this game die but they put the time and effort to make this port and they did a good job too.

Top Bottom