• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake's American Nightmare , New Trailer [Up: 11 Minutes Gameplay, Screens, Info]

derFeef

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_xaxNeb59s

It shows a little bit of the new interface / and the arcade mode at the near end.
Really looks more action oriented.

Update: 11 min. gameplay walkthrough (FIGHT TILL DAWN Arcade mode)

Alan Wake's American Nightmare: Developer Commentary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyFiW1sCfAU

^ gameplay

Update: Previews

http://www.vg247.com/2011/12/19/alan-wakes-american-nightmare-dreams-of-the-future/
“This is one step on Wake’s path forward, and it certainly doesn’t end here. For some gamers it begins here, and we think this is a cool entry point. But right now, this is what we’re focused on.”

It’s “close to five hours” long, according to head of franchise development Oskari Häkkinen, and transports Wake from America’s tree-strewn Pacific Northwest to the Arizona desert.

The structure, too, has shifted. “If Alan Wake was two-thirds story and one-third action, American Nightmare is one-third story and two-thirds action,” Myllyrinne adds, before likening it to Tarantino’s From Dusk Till Dawn.

For the moment, though, Alan Wake is to remain with Microsoft, who will publish American Nightmare. Remedy came forward with the game as the next step in Wake’s adventure and Microsoft was “supportive” of the idea of an XBLA-only update, so don’t expect it to appear elsewhere.

p8rbJ.jpg

Job3Q.jpg

XGfFV.jpg

L8nzJ.jpg

cmBfA.jpg

sEtte.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The only thing I remember from the VGA trailer is the name "Mr. Scratch", and I prefer to keep it that way. Going into Alan Wake more or less blind was a nice surprise.

Lunchbox

Banned
nice, new enemies, weapons

being action oriented wont be a problem if they can mix it up. alan wakes problem wasnt the fighting itself, because the combat is quite fun. but it was the same enemies throughout the game with the same few weapons that dragged it down near the end.

if they put some variety in, it will be fantastic

JaseC

This game cannot come soon enough.

It's releasing around the same time as Alan Wake PC, right? Running through the original again on the PC and then purchasing American Nightmare on XBlah immediately thereafter would be perfect.

derFeef

Some interesting parts from the interview:
“This is one step on Wake’s path forward, and it certainly doesn’t end here. For some gamers it begins here, and we think this is a cool entry point. But right now, this is what we’re focused on.”

It’s “close to five hours” long, according to head of franchise development Oskari Häkkinen, and transports Wake from America’s tree-strewn Pacific Northwest to the Arizona desert.

The structure, too, has shifted. “If Alan Wake was two-thirds story and one-third action, American Nightmare is one-third story and two-thirds action,” Myllyrinne adds, before likening it to Tarantino’s From Dusk Till Dawn.

For the moment, though, Alan Wake is to remain with Microsoft, who will publish American Nightmare. Remedy came forward with the game as the next step in Wake’s adventure and Microsoft was “supportive” of the idea of an XBLA-only update, so don’t expect it to appear elsewhere.

JaseC

It'll be bundled with the original Alan Wake at some point prior to Alan Wake 2.

.la1n

Loved the first game (though the DLC left a sour taste.) This looks great, nice to see some more variety in enemies / weapons.

Kinda hated on the first game. Bought it for $6 as a download for the hell of it and ended up having a really fun time. Loved the combat and dodge mechanic. I hope they haven't messed with that too much.

derFeef

For the non-believers, about the open-world-yness :p

Well, certainly the tech for open-world spaces has been there in the engine and in the tools, and American Nightmare has given the team and level designers liberty to have fun with it and experiment. The idea with the locations is definitely a lot more hub-like in approach, and you’ll be revisiting the same locations under different circumstances and the tasks structure takes you to different places while unlockable areas open up.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
not a ton new in that trailer, but still, good shit!

can someone make a gif of the new bit where alan is unloading that machine gun EVERYWHERE? its at 1:05 in the new trailer. hot

yes, but play it in chunks and youll enjoy it more. long sessions dont work for this game
Why is that? I powered through it and had a blast. Also, the game isn't very long and it's linierity and compass make things very straight forward and stress free.

Jinaar

yes, but play it in chunks and youll enjoy it more. long sessions dont work for this game

I guess this is all opinion. I played the AW and all the DLC hours on end back to back without feeling less enjoyment from it. Frankly, I just wanted to play more and more.

For the non-believers, about the open-world-yness :p

i never doubted :)

combat looks solid. more enemies, more weapons, more variety in the combat. so long as the writing is still good, i'll gladly take 4 or 5 more hours of Alan Wakeyness.

Why is that? I powered through it and had a blast. Also, the game isn't very long and it's linierity and compass make things very straight forward and stress free.
i think more than anything else, the constant cycle of having all your weapons taken away and drip fed back makes long sessions weaker than playing an episode at a time.

op_ivy

i love the game deeply, but i think the best way to play it would be to dedicate 2-3 hours each night for a single episode. start with a recap of events, finish with a kick ass song.

Elginer

The only downside is that I can not buy a Limited Edition of this game :)

This so much. Started replaying Alan Wake yesterday and forget how damn beautiful the water really is. I'd love to see Alan Wake 2 on new Xbox hardware. Hell, I can't wait to play Alan Wake on my PC... finally!!!!

Red

The only thing I remember from the VGA trailer is the name "Mr. Scratch", and I prefer to keep it that way. Going into Alan Wake more or less blind was a nice surprise.
I haven't watched the trailer, but isn't Scratch a southern slang term for Satan? Usually as "old Scratch" or "Mr. Scratch." Did the first game feature anything Satanic? I see a pentagram in one of the sceens above.

JaseC

I haven't watched the trailer, but isn't Scratch a southern slang term for Satan? Usually as "old Scratch" or "Mr. Scratch." Did the first game feature anything Satanic? I see a pentagram in one of the sceens above.

I honestly can't remember. And as for your first question, I have no idea.

op_ivy

Another preview and more screens here, including some "FMV" shots of Mr. Scratch scenes - so SPOILERS! :(

http://www.next-gen.biz/features/remedy-alan-wakes-american-nightmare

alan_wake_american_nightmare.png

from the article
American Nightmare is made for [XBLA]. We can go wilder with the weapons and include the kind of enemies that you would never expect in the Alan Wake universe. The Night Springs setting has enabled us to try out things we wouldn’t have been able to try out in the first game.
first confirmation that this is indeed a night springs episode and not real life?

Frankfurt

Banned
Playing the first game one full episode every night was the sweetspot for me.

I haven't watched the trailer, but isn't Scratch a southern slang term for Satan? Usually as "old Scratch" or "Mr. Scratch." Did the first game feature anything Satanic?

Yes and no.

The first game has a character that represents Baba Yaga, and Scratch for the devil. But Scratch only shows up at the last cinematic (then mentioned in the DLC), so i assume the satanism stays for American Nightmare, while the first game was slavic folklore.

Yes and no.

The first game has a character that represents Baba Yaga, and Scratch for the devil. But Scratch only shows up at the last cinematic (then mentioned in the DLC), so i assume the satanism stays for American Nightmare, while the first game was slavic folklore.

i doubt it's overtly Satanism though, in the same way that Barbara Jagger wasn't actually Baba Yaga. she was based on that concept yes, but she wasn't literally Baba Yaga.

any 'satanism' like the pentagram we might see in this could potentially be part of a Night Springs plot. Mr Scratch isn't Satan, i'd put money on it.

Grisby

The original game got me into Poe. I'm kinda curious to see what music they use for the breaks in the game.

Assuming they are there.

Frankfurt

Banned
The original game got me into Poe. I'm kinda curious to see what music they use

IGN mentions Kasabian and the Old Gods of Asgard.

i doubt it's overtly Satanism though, in the same way that Barbara Jagger wasn't actually Baba Yaga. she was based on that concept yes, but she wasn't literally Baba Yaga.

any 'satanism' like the pentagram we might see in this could potentially be part of a Night Springs plot. Mr Scratch isn't Satan, i'd put money on it.

Yeah, Barbara and the chicken leg house. I expect this to be similar. Very subtle.

derFeef

Love the new colors in the screenshots, very nice.
And yeah, I would not expect anything particular mentioned about "satanism". The (voice)acting is going to be hammy and batshit insane anyway :)

Milchjon

Really? I finished it twice within less than a week.

I actually loved that it was a little less action-orientated. But I'm looking forward to more Alan Wake either way, and the new locations look pretty cool.

Truant

Props to MS for having faith in this awesome franchise. Game looks great, combat seems to be improved. Tons of variety in weapons and enemies compared to the first game. Hopefully AW2 will adopt the hub-structure of this one as well.

Top Bottom