• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake's American Nightmare , New Trailer [Up: 11 Minutes Gameplay, Screens, Info]

Satchel

Banned
This is such an under marketed franchise.

Microsoft should really be pushing Alan Wake. While it won't ever be up there with Gears/Halo sales wise, a decent marketing push could easily get it up there with say Uncharted given the size of the userbase.

I've said it many times already, but this game is so horribly underrated and underappreciated.

Microsoft should really be pushing Alan Wake. While it won't ever be up there with Gears/Halo sales wise, a decent marketing push could easily get it up there with say Uncharted given the size of the userbase.

I've said it many times already, but this game is so horribly underrated and underappreciated.

I agree that it's horribly under-appreciated/underrated but I also think it honestly has a smaller than average appeal base.
If this would have came out 5 or 6 years ago? Could have been a lot bigger.

I'd would be content and happy knowing that Remedy can churn these smaller bits out and turn a profit.

the tag on the IGN video says American Nightmare is also coming to PC. is that true?

Not according to Remedy:

For the moment, though, Alan Wake is to remain with Microsoft, who will publish American Nightmare. Remedy came forward with the game as the next step in Wake’s adventure and Microsoft was “supportive” of the idea of an XBLA-only update, so don’t expect it to appear elsewhere.

Lingitiz

I remember it having a decent marketing campaign, and those bright falls shorts were well made. I think the problem was being released around the same time as Red Dead Redemption, which was got bumped to a few days of AW1's release.

Not according to Remedy:

IGN made a mistake then, I guess.

I see:

DaLcT.jpg

and clicking the link takes me here: http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1214761p1.html , which doesn't say anything about American Nightmare.

eshwaaz

I really wanted to like Alan Wake, but I'd had my fill of the combat halfway through the game. That American Nightmare is even more action-focused is a big turn-off for me, but I'm clearly in the minority based on reactions here.

Lunchbox

Banned
And now to see your love set free
You will need the witches cabin key
Find the lady of the light gone mad with the night
Thats how you reshape destiny

jagowar

G4 preview with video interview.

http://www.g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/...eview-when-rod-serling-met-quentin-tarantino/

Licenced songs and the Old Gods are back :D

Some interesting info in that video.... really funny how they thought alan wake 1 was 2/3 story and 1/3 action. It more more about 10% story and 90% action.

I do see how for an xbla title they would want to condense the story for more action but I do wish they would take a chance and bring an xbla title that is not reliant on action and try to give us a new type of game for xbla.

Santar

I find it a bit funny how the developers said they got fedback that the combat in the first game got repetitive and now they're making a game that seems to mostly be about the combat.

It doesn't look very different from the combat in AW 1 at all to me, so they throw in a few new weapons and enemy types, it still looks like the same old thing.
I guess I just got burned out on the combat in the first game.

It doesn't look very different from the combat in AW 1 at all to me, so they throw in a few new weapons and enemy types, it still looks like the same old thing.

It probably won't be too different, but bear in mind that what we've seen here is Alan Wake's horde mode which is not really supposed to be that varied by design.

Anyway, I don't find "repetitive" a dirty word, repetitive can be fun. I much prefer games with repetitive, but challenging and good combat like Halo, F.E.A.R. and Max Payne (I can't really comment on Alan Wake yet) over something with a bunch of varied, cinematic, but somewhat canned setpiece encounters.

Santar

It probably won't be too different, but bear in mind that what we've seen here is Alan Wake's horde mode which is not really supposed to be that varied by design.

Anyway, I don't find "repetitive" a dirty word, repetitive can be fun. I much prefer games with repetitive, but challenging and good combat like Halo, F.E.A.R. and Max Payne (I can't really comment on Alan Wake yet) over something with a bunch of varied, cinematic, but somewhat canned setpiece encounters.

The way I use the word repetitive is if the combat is being a chore and not fun. What you describe sounds more like games with just good satisfying combat, and that makes it not repetitive. At least that's how I see it.
And I couldn't agree more with what you're saying about scripted "cinematic" sequences.

derFeef

I find it a bit funny how the developers said they got fedback that the combat in the first game got repetitive and now they're making a game that seems to mostly be about the combat.

I guess I just got burned out on the combat in the first game.

The combat itself got repetitive because there were no enemy variety and you approached every taken the same way. They now mix it with more types of enemy and every one seems to need a different combat approach. I liked the combat mechanics in AW, but it got stale because you could do it blindly midway through.

The way I use the word repetitive is if the combat is being a chore and not fun. What you describe sounds more like games with just good satisfying combat, and that makes it not repetitive. At least that's how I see it.
And I couldn't agree more with what you're saying about scripted "cinematic" sequences.

If you did not like the combat itself, then this game will not win you over I think. But it looks more polished and the dodging seems to actually work really well now.

Frankfurt

Banned
I thought the combat itself was incredible. Dodging in AW is my favorite mechanic this gen. I can see people getting bored of woods + same waeapons + same dudes (and that's what they're adressing), but i've played the game three times and i still have a blast fighting the Taken.

The combat itself got repetitive because there were no enemy variety and you approached every taken the same way. They now mix it with more types of enemy and every one seems to need a different combat approach. I liked the combat mechanics in AW, but it got stale because you could do it blindly midway through.
I agree with this. I actually found the combat in Alan Wake to be really great and fluid. It was the lack of weapons, enemy types and variety of situations that bogged it down. Tight combat only lasts so long before repetition becomes a chore.

These 10 minute arcade chunks look perfect for pure action. High tension, waves of different enemies and weapons and a limited time so that it doesn't get boring. Hopefully the campaign will mix things up a bit too.

derFeef

I thought the combat itself was incredible. Dodging in AW is my favorite mechanic this gen. I can see people getting bored of woods + same waeapons + same dudes (and that's what they're adressing), but i've played the game three times and i still have a blast fighting the Taken.

Oh the shooting itself is pure joy and the Alan Wake revolver may be my favourite revolver/handgun in any third person shooter. It comes close to the HL2 revolver :)

AWAN's combat looks really fantastic and diverse. The military weapons may offput some I think, but I can't wait to use the auto shotgun, crossbow and nailgun (love the arc of nails).

Finished the original game (DLC aside) this weekend. Really amazed that people were disappointed with that ending. Perfect fucking Season Finale.

One thing that's incredibly disappointing about American Nightmare is the cover logo. Alan Wake had one of the most striking logos and covers ever. This new shit is bush league.

ANYway. Can't wait for this.

Majora

Finished the original game (DLC aside) this weekend. Really amazed that people were disappointed with that ending. Perfect fucking Season Finale.

One thing that's incredibly disappointing about American Nightmare is the cover logo. Alan Wake had one of the most striking logos and covers ever. This new shit is bush league.

Play the DLC. The Signal is just ok but The Writer is probably the best episode in the whole game.

Frankfurt

Banned
Gameplay-wise, yes, the Writer is the best. Writing-wise, the main game is still filled with the best stuff.

I'm dissapointed too. I wish they had gone with the somber, wide-open Night Springs theme instead of the grindhouse theme they settled on.

KageMaru

Finally got around to watching the 11 minute video and graphically it looks awesome. I'm more interested to see how the weapon/enemy variety is applied to the campaign than this horde mode.

I'm also curious to know what resolution the game runs at now. IIRC AW1 was 720p 2xMSAA at the E3 demo, but with some performance penalties. We also know that Remedy was toying around with MLAA, which honestly they probably switched to FXAA since then. So if they drop MSAA entirely, that should allow them to bump up the resolution a great deal IMO.

Regardless, this is looking great, so I can't wait to play it.

I am annoyed by how cluttered the top half of the screen is. I can't believe they still haven't moved that god-damn radar to the bottom left.

Angry Fork

Nobody finds it disappointing how campy/arcadey it looks? I mean it looks good but the tone seems entirely different to original Alan Wake.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Nobody finds it disappointing how campy/arcadey it looks? I mean it looks good but the tone seems entirely different to original Alan Wake.

That was the plan for this game to begin with. It's a spin off.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I am annoyed by how cluttered the top half of the screen is. I can't believe they still haven't moved that god-damn radar to the bottom left.

i would like to see the compass disappear altogether, personally

KageMaru

Yeah I noticed that as well. IMO these types of games benefit from minimal HUD, not health icons and such.

It's a horde mode so shouldn't it look arcadey? If you're talking about the game as a whole, we haven't seen the actual game much so I'm not sure how someone could get that impression just yet.

Top Bottom