• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake's American Nightmare |OT| Not a lake, a primordial ocean.

derFeef

@derfeef: downloaded it from the link and the voiceovers are english if you set your console to english!

There is only english VO, so I guess it does not matter :)
Will not be able to paly this today I think, maybe in 12 hours or so...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I can finally post this. The official music video in the game for Old Gods of Asgard's new song, "Balance Slays The Demon." WARNING, THE MUSIC VIDEO CONTAINS AMERICAN NIGHTMARE SPOILERS. Also, it isn't the full song, as you can hear the whole song through a radio and it's about 6 minutes long. This version actually cuts out my favorite section, which is a rocking guitar solo and a gentle part afterward, the cut is about at 2:46 in the video, it gears up for the solo but then cuts ahead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz4xDsN4FFI

S1kkZ

some impressions from the first 5 minutes:

-looks sharper than alan wake 1.
-alan runs much longer before getting "tired"
-game looks stunning

burgerdog

Always on vertical sync is pretty taxing, the game can really slow down with it. I think I'll stick to smart. Still, thanks for making it an option, Remedy. <3

Always on vertical sync is pretty taxing, the game can really slow down with it. I think I'll stick to smart. Still, thanks for making it an option, Remedy. <3

I've left it on "Always" :D

How low do you feel the framerate gets? 20ish? For me noticeable drops are happening in or near the garage area. Encounters with the Taken doesn't seem to be an issue. I'm hoping that by installing it onto the onboard memory is helping somewhat :p

Edit:

Spoke too soon lol Dips are now happening more frequent

Satchel

Banned
How are you guys downloading?

I've been checking the marketplace non-stop and nothing. In Australia by the way, but it's usually up n Wednesday nights.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How are you guys downloading?

I've been checking the marketplace non-stop and nothing. In Australia by the way, but it's usually up n Wednesday nights.

It's up on my end.

Edit: I'm referring to the XBL website rather than the XBLM on the X360 itself; my consoles are virtually never connected to the internet. I really ought to buy a second router and use it as a bridge...

surly

Banned
some impressions from the first 5 minutes:

-looks sharper than alan wake 1.
-alan runs much longer before getting "tired"
-game looks stunning
I've played the first hour and I would agree with this.

It's been a while since I played the original, but you couldn't turn the HUD off could you? In this you can leave it on, or you can set it to fade out or turn it off altogether. The graphics definitely look sharper and with the V sync set to "smart" there's virtually no tearing. With it set to "always" there's none, although it does affect the frame rate when there's a lot going on. Graphically, the only criticism I have is the lip syncing when characters are talking. It still looks terrible, outside of the cut scenes which look great.

It does seem rather easy though. There's plenty of ammo and weapons lying around. There's still that creepy atmosphere, but up to now when I've been attacked I haven't really felt that taxed cos I've had plenty of batteries and ammunition. You'll find various guns in the first few minutes of the game. There are also guns that are in cases that can only be unlocked when you have X amount of manuscript pages, so there's an incentive to go looking around. The new enemy types I've encountered so far are cool.

Other than it seeming a little easy so far, I'd give this 2 thumbs up. If you liked the original game, definitely give this a go. It's one of those XBLA titles where you feel like you're playing a full retail game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

It's been a while since I played the original, but you couldn't turn the HUD off could you? In this you can leave it on, or you can set it to fade out or turn it off altogether. The graphics definitely look sharper and with the V sync set to "smart" there's virtually no tearing. With it set to "always" there's none, although it does affect the frame rate when there's a lot going on. Graphically, the only criticism I have is the lip syncing when characters are talking. It still looks terrible, outside of the cut scenes which look great.

It does seem rather easy though. There's plenty of ammo and weapons lying around. There's still that creepy atmosphere, but up to now when I've been attacked I haven't really felt that taxed cos I've had plenty of batteries and ammunition. You'll find various guns in the first few minutes of the game. There are also guns that are in cases that can only be unlocked when you have X amount of manuscript pages, so there's an incentive to go looking around. The new enemy types I've encountered so far are cool.

Other than it seeming a little easy so far, I'd give this 2 thumbs up. If you liked the original game, definitely give this a go. It's one of those XBLA titles where you feel like you're playing a full retail game.

Wait till you get to Fight Till Dawn. The story is pretty easy, Fight Till Dawn definitely has some challenge, especially on the Nightmare maps.

It's been a while since I played the original, but you couldn't turn the HUD off could you? In this you can leave it on, or you can set it to fade out or turn it off altogether.

I can't believe I overlooked this. I just changed it to "Fading" :O

derFeef

Yeah they said that it renders in a higher resolution. I guess that's higher ;) FXAA helps a lot I guess.

The engine has been revised and improved since the original Alan Wake. We have managed to get a lot of optimisations in and among other things the internal rendering resolution has been increased, as well as FXAA anti-aliasing has been added. Alan Wake himself has been completely remodelled in higher detail, and enemies use a completely new animation system. We also have lots of new details like a much cooler (well, in our opinion anyway) Taken effect.

Feindflug

turns out aw:an is 1024x576 -_-

oh well, will be buying this when i get home

A smaller leap than expected but from what I've played (finished the first level of arcade a few times) it looks sharper than the first game and the it's almost jaggies free (2xAA+FXAA?).

Lighting is gorgeous, shadows are smoother and the particles are beautiful, only negative the annoying screen tearing...I've tried the always on v-sync option but the drops are really bad.

Yager

Banned
Just finished the motel level. Amazing, I'm really enjoying it. It looks better than the original (maybe because you're not constantly surrounded by trees) and, despite being a bit easy, it's really entertaining. The only new enemies I've encountered are
the ones that split
; I think they give some variety to the combats because you can't fight them like the "normal" ones. Looking forward to face the others.

Havne't tried arcade mode yet, but I'll do it tonight if I have some free time. Anyway, I guesss I'll play it more than once so I can get all manuscripts. I'm so glad Alan's back!

Is it good?
Is it good?
Is it good?
Is it good?
Is it good?

Yes, it really is.

It certainly looks better than Alan Wake, and Alan isn't as floaty as he was in AW either. He was kind of skating around in AW, but here he has a bit more weight to him. Perhaps now I won't accidentally jump off cliffs.

I'll be waiting for the PC version either way, but I'm on the fence about this.

The story in the two DLCs for Alan Wake got so fucking convoluted and ridiculous. I'm not sure I can put up with any more of that.

i barely had enough time to buy 1200 points and get the download started before i had to leave for work. now i just have to wait until late o clock tonight to play it. a friend is visiting from the west coast so the wife and I are meeting him for dinner right after work an hours drive away.

i don't regret making the choice to have dinner with a friend, i just regret the dilemma that today being the only valid night to do so causes. hopefully i won't be an antsy mishog clock watching all evening.

enjoy Alan Wake: American Nightmare guys. i'll catch you all on the other side when i've beaten it.

Really liking the impressions so far.

My Xbox Live download speed is so horrifically slow though, which is annoying because Steam is blisteringly fast (downloaded Portal 2 quickly) yet I don't think this will be downloaded for a good few hours yet.

Oh well, gives me a chance to actually do something today prior to playing!

TheExodu5

Banned
You forgot to include your Mr. Scratch gif!

4805a648.gif

I'm strangely excited about this game even though the first one wore out its welcome with me about half way through. Bring it on!

Googlighting?

Elginer

Damn this game looks glorious. Sets a new mofo bar for XBLA titles without a doubt. Love having Vsync on all the time, even if the framerate can get a bit dodgy here and there. Looks bootiful.

They really did some work to the engine and it shows; loving the story so far as well.

sorry to throw the topic off a bit but anyone know of the cheapest place to get uk 1200 point codes e-mailed/text to you? game.co.uk (i know, i know) are at £9.99 which seems pretty damn good but i was just wondering if anywhere else is doing a better deal right now.

Lima

Wow that Emma girl is quite a bitch huh? She just called me a weirdo. Well she actually said that I'm nice for a weirdo so I guess you could take that as a compliment.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Curse my poor orientation skills. I've been running in circles in the
electric fence area where I have to turn on the lights of the guard building
for like 45 minutes.

Top Bottom