• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alcohol drinks are gross

Status
Not open for further replies.

Combine

Banned
Davidion said:
Weird maybe putting a harsher spin on it than necessary. But still, not ordering an alcoholic beverage with your meal can certainly be seen as being unusual at fine dining establishments. Ordering a drink, usually wine or a cocktail, is simply customary.
Hmm, I never knew of this. But then again, I've only ever gone out to eat with family, and no one really drinks anyway.

For me, I only ever drink water in restaurants. I don't drink sodas or anything like that because I don't want to gain weight. Alcohol is kind of in a similar category, but again, I just don't care enough for it to pay for it (especially being out of a job too).

zoukka

Combine said:
Hmm, I never knew of this. But then again, I've only ever gone out to eat with family, and no one really drinks anyway.

For me, I only ever drink water in restaurants. I don't drink sodas or anything like that because I don't want to gain weight. Alcohol is kind of in a similar category, but again, I just don't care enough for it to pay for it (especially being out of a job too).

Uhh weren't you the guy that had girl problems and couldn't handle booze even though you tried?

Like, if you don't want to gain weight, then wtf are you doing in a restaurant? Eating salad and drinking water?

pringles

tokkun said:
There is a common conception among non-drinkers that alcohol makes you lose control over your actions and do things you don't want to do, but this is rarely true unless you are getting blind drunk.

What really happens most of the time is that alcohol lowers your social barriers allowing you to do things that you really want, but are normally too uptight to do. If you suddenly start acting like an asshole when drunk, then you are probably an asshole in normal life who tries to hide it.
Spot on.

I just came to LOL @ OP.

I mean... really. You're entitled to your opinion, but I can assure you there's an alcoholic drink out there that you'd absolutely love. There are too many options to blanket them all as gross. WAY too many options.

Combine

Banned
zoukka said:
Uhh weren't you the guy that had girl problems and couldn't handle booze even though you tried?
Yep, that's me.
Like, if you don't want to gain weight, then wtf are you doing in a restaurant? Eating salad and drinking water?
Eating protein and other types of food, rather than food full of carbs or sugars (like alcohol or sodas).

Davidion said:
Weird maybe putting a harsher spin on it than necessary. But still, not ordering an alcoholic beverage with your meal can certainly be seen as being unusual at fine dining establishments. Ordering a drink, usually wine or a cocktail, is simply customary.

What if I order it, then dispose of it immediately afterward?

zoukka

Combine said:
Eating protein and other types of food, rather than food full of carbs or sugars (like alcohol or sodas).

Yeah if you can't relax in a fucking restaurant for a moment and eat something not-so-healthy-yet-so-good, then you should consider chilling out. I work out and eat healthy food. I also get hammered every now and then and eat whatever I want. Won't ruin your temple I promise.

Combine

Banned
zoukka said:
Yeah if you can't relax in a fucking restaurant for a moment and eat something not-so-healthy-yet-so-good, then you should consider chilling out. I work out and eat healthy food. I also get hammered every now and then and eat whatever I want. Won't ruin your temple I promise.
But as you pointed out, I can't get "hammered" and have it be a good experience. Alcohol just doesn't work that way for me. As for "relaxing" in a restaurant, I don't know, I tend to feel pretty relaxed drinking a nice cold glass of water. And also, again, paying for alcohol is difficult for me at this point since it's not something in particular I crave.

Aurora

I used to hate beer but have since developed a taste for it. I now find it wonderful. Wine is also a lovely drink, particularly to compliment a nice meal.

There are many ways that alcohol can be enjoyed; it would be silly to dismiss it entirely when there are so many variations out there you haven't tried.

Sh1ner said:
And I am with the beer hate squad, I dont care if its bitter which has been correctly brewed or horrible lager. It is created as a cheapo alternative to spirits for football fans and is advetised as. It tastes like shit in my opinion. I am in the UK btw.

You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. And what does being in the UK have to do with anything?

I hate the stigma some people attach to beer; the whole argument that it doesn't taste good and the only reason people drink it is to be socially accepted.

There are many different flavors to beers just like there are different flavors of soda... Sprite, Coca-Cola, and Sunkist all taste completely different yet they're all sodas. Same can be said about Corona, Heineken, and Samuel Adams. Also, I often times drink beer completely by myself, I may be coming home late from work and stop at a Miller Ale House for a burger where I'd buy a glass or two to accompany my dinner. Sometimes I'm just home drinking a couple of Light Beers while I play video games (back a few years ago when I still played WoW I would occasionally get to the point of drunkenness while raiding for hours :lol ). The point is I'm not drinking a beer to fit in or look cool when I'm sitting half-naked in my room watching TV... it's just for the taste and the slightly added effect of Alcohol relaxing my nerves.

ChanHuk

Banned
Houston3000 said:
I hate the stigma some people attach to beer; the whole argument that it doesn't taste good and the only reason people drink it is to be socially accepted.

There are many different flavors to beers just like there are different flavors of soda... Sprite, Coca-Cola, and Sunkist all taste completely different yet they're all sodas. Same can be said about Corona, Heineken, and Samuel Adams. Also, I often times drink beer completely by myself, I may be coming home late from work and stop at a Miller Ale House for a burger where I'd buy a glass or two to accompany my dinner. Sometimes I'm just home drinking a couple of Light Beers while I play video games (back a few years ago when I still played WoW I would occasionally get to the point of drunkenness while raiding for hours :lol ). The point is I'm not drinking a beer to fit in or look cool when I'm sitting half-naked in my room watching TV... it's just for the taste and the slightly added effect of Alcohol relaxing my nerves.

Sam Adams does not belong in the same sentence as Corona and Heineken which are utter crap.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Combine said:
But as you pointed out, I can't get "hammered" and have it be a good experience. Alcohol just doesn't work that way for me. As for "relaxing" in a restaurant, I don't know, I tend to feel pretty relaxed drinking a nice cold glass of water. And also, again, paying for alcohol is difficult for me at this point since it's not something in particular I crave.

water is my go-to drink at a fancy restaurant as well.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sam Adams does not belong in the same sentence as Corona and Heineken which are utter crap.

How dare you, Heineken is so good.
So is Sam Adams, though, I love the Boston Lager. I hate the cherry wheat shit though, I don't like any fruit flavored beer.

I will defend certain alcoholic beverages and their awesomeness (mainly beer) to the grave, but even I don't buy into that "If you don't order alcohol with your meal you're weird" crap. Restaurants know people hold this mentality, hence the exorbitant markups on wine and sometimes beer. Fuck that. I'll have my meal and drink my booze before/afterward.

Kronotech

This thread makes me want a beer. I know what my dinner drink will be tonight.

Miller Lite, Leinenkugel, and Michelob Ultra (especially the flavored) are my "light" beers of choice.

I've also grown to like Heineken.

mantidor

tokkun said:
There is a common conception among non-drinkers that alcohol makes you lose control over your actions and do things you don't want to do, but this is rarely true unless you are getting blind drunk.

What really happens most of the time is that alcohol lowers your social barriers allowing you to do things that you really want, but are normally too uptight to do. If you suddenly start acting like an asshole when drunk, then you are probably an asshole in normal life who tries to hide it.

This is so very true. thats the reason people who completely refuse to drink even a single shot scare me a little, because I feel you just can't trust them, like if they were hiding something. Yes, I know I'm probably jumping to conclusions.

And why do some of you think that people who don't like alcohol are virgin basement dwellers?

I personally don't need alcohol to talk to other people. I have a great personal and social life and can basically get any girl that I want! Even with 0% alcohol in my blood.

It is, of course, a generalization. But that just means that it is generally true. In other words, it's more true than not. You may be an exception to the rule (or you're talking yourself up in a place where your claims cannot be verified).

Kind of like how if you hear someone say they hate reading that they are probably stupid. Not always true, but generally so.

Fjolle

I don't get this about the acquired taste. I have loved the taste of beer since as long as i can remember.

Snuggler said:
How dare you, Heineken is so good.
So is Sam Adams, though, I love the Boston Lager. I hate the cherry wheat shit though, I don't like any fruit flavored beer.

Gross. Heineken is disgusting shit. Sam Adams is actually a pretty good beer.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Beer is delicious, Captain Morgan + coke is awesome and some white wine is great.

Other than that.. yeah, alcohol does kind of taste like shit.

EDIT: Jägermeister is great too. Used to like absinthe too, but after an evening involving too much beer, too many absinthe shots and too many alcopops, I.. don't really drink absinthe anymore. Bad memories :p

I'm in the category of people that won't try alcohol or any intoxicating substances.

Only ever had a sip of wine (didn't like it), and never tried drugs. The smell of alcohol makes me nauseous. I used to work retail and hated holidays because of people coming in with alcohol breath. It literally makes me want to puke. Its right up there with green beans, guacamole, and shrimp as the most disgusting substances I know of.

Also I am already addicted to soda, I don't think I want to get hooked on drinking alcohol. I also don't understand why some people feel the need to bring booze to social gatherings to have a good time, when I can manage to have a blast without it and without having a hangover the next day.

duriel black u cant say u dont understand y people bring it to social events....maybe cause its fun. u should try it and realize u can have an even better time with alcohol then u could without it. and i dont get hangovers

jmdajr

I don't drink and generally hate Alcohol.... but I do like it mixed in food sometimes. Borracho Beans and Tiramisu cake taste pretty darn awesome. Even liked this Dark Chocolate Beer float I had.

Jtones

Banned
Moobabe said:
Loads of people don't like beer, personally I've never developed a taste for it. Maybe I haven't tasted the right ones; any recommendations?

Duvel, Desperados, Carlsberg, Jupiler Tauro, ...
Especially Duvel.

And if you think Heineken tastes good, you haven't drunk any good beer.

Insaniac

i too cannot stand the taste of alcohol. I can handle those fruity drinks but really, what is the point? I'd rather drink soda or regular juice instead. I mostly stick to water.

bosskoss21 said:
duriel black u cant say u dont understand y people bring it to social events....maybe cause its fun. u should try it and realize u can have an even better time with alcohol then u could without it. and i dont get hangovers

I'm trying to find a connection between your horrid typing and your ignorance for other people's opinions on alcohol...

Pein

Banned
I don't like it either, I'm only 19 so this might change in the future when I get to try a lot of different things. From the stuff I've tried though I am not a fan.

zoukka

Pein said:
I don't like it either, I'm only 19 so this might change in the future when I get to try a lot of different things. From the stuff I've tried though I am not a fan.

Heh I never get used to the idea that 21 is the magic number in there.

You can't go wrong with Rum and Blue PowerAid powder mix.

...or the premixed
powerade-blue.jpg

P.S. Don't be a puss about the taste of alcohol. You're not doing it right.

-viper-

Banned
I don't drink alcohol either. It's no good for your body. Ethanol is toxic to the the body - there are no two ways about it. Smells like piss too.

I only drink water.

Konka

Banned
-viper- said:
I don't drink alcohol either. It's no good for your body. Ethanol is toxic to the the body - there are no two ways about it. Smells like piss too.

I only drink water.

Well that's extremely boring.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Weird OP when my body craves water after a long walk or job, i can just tuck into a ice cold 6 pack to pass a few hours with some music on and browsing the net , its really a good pass time.

The sound of that can crack , the the cold frost around my lips after a drink :D

MercuryLS

Banned
Alcohol can be enjoyable in small doses, get a good buzz going and you can have a bit more fun on a night out. Go overboard and you can write that night off...and most of the next day.

I only like a few beers, like Corona with lime. Some mixed drinks are ok too. I'm not big into drinking though, I feel sorry for people that can't have a good time unless they're drunk. I never want alcohol to become a crutch, something I need to rely on to enjoy my night.

Kentpaul

esquire said:
How can I consume copious amounts of alcohol without feeling sleepy afterwards?

Vodka and redbull

Jagger and redbull

Caffine pills in your first pint

Speed

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
^^blow is good but it's best with close company. don't want to be all talk-talk-talky with new people often :lol

Tedesco! said:
14.jpg

Dee. Licious.

my go-to drink at bars is a maker's on the rocks. too good.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
This thread makes me want to break out to stoli blackberry vodka and grape juice.

Kentpaul

missbreedsiddx said:
This thread makes me want to break out to stoli blackberry vodka and grape juice.

Poring a drink for your girlfriend are we ?

JK... but yeh this thread has got me to pore a few stiff ones and some sherry

missbreedsiddx said:

That sounds awesome. I could go for a Ketel and cranberry myself.

I like alcohol because, according to my friend, it made me a complete douche bag to everyone at the bar during Final Four. :lol

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Kentpaul said:
Poring a drink for your girlfriend are we ?

JK... but yeh this thread has got me to pore a few stiff ones and some sherry

oh hush, the only people who drink sherry are old people :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom