• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alcohol drinks are gross

Status
Not open for further replies.
speculawyer said:
That's my point. People smoke because they enjoy the effect it gives them. Not because they like breathing in smoke.

Meh, I smoke hookah because I enjoy the smoke - both the taste and the sensation, not so much the effects of tobacco.

Hylian7

I don't understand the appeal of alcoholic drinks. Now, to be fair, I am only 20 and have never drank. I imagine I will drink some when I am 21, but not very much at all. Most alcoholic drinks smell like shit and end up making you do stupid shit you regret. Why the hell would I ever want to do that? People in this thread act like it's impossible for them to live without alcohol. That doesn't make any sense to me at all. I'm sure some drinks probably taste good, but I don't see how there can possibly be more to it than that. Don't give me the BS of "You'll never get a woman without alcohol" I have a girlfriend of 4 years, yeah, fuck your shit.

Dizzle24

esquire said:
How can I consume copious amounts of alcohol without feeling sleepy afterwards?

There's really no solution other than to keep drinking until you are ready for bed/ready to go home. :lol This is why I avoid drinking during the day; I get a nice buzz going, then before long, I'm sleeping at 6pm LoL. Damn happy hours at my favorite Mexican restaurant! :D

Hylian7 said:
I don't understand the appeal of alcoholic drinks. Now, to be fair, I am only 20 and have never drank. I imagine I will drink some when I am 21, but not very much at all. Most alcoholic drinks smell like shit and end up making you do stupid shit you regret. Why the hell would I ever want to do that? People in this thread act like it's impossible for them to live without alcohol. That doesn't make any sense to me at all. I'm sure some drinks probably taste good, but I don't see how there can possibly be more to it than that. Don't give me the BS of "You'll never get a woman without alcohol" I have a girlfriend of 4 years, yeah, fuck your shit.

Lots of people drink a few drinks at the end of a long day to unwind a bit. A couple of years ago I worked construction in the hot sun all summer, and there was nothing that I looked forward to more than a couple of beers with friends after a hard day. So fyi, not all drinkers are alcoholics/college fratboys that drink to blackout levels, atleast not every day. :p

Oh and I didn't notice anyone say this - "You'll never get a woman without alcohol" - but if you hear that it's safe to assume they're a rapist.

Dizzle24 said:
There's really no solution other than to keep drinking until you are ready for bed/ready to go home. :lol This is why I avoid drinking during the day; I get a nice buzz going, then before long, I'm sleeping at 6pm LoL. Damn happy hours at my favorite Mexican restaurant! :D

Pffffft. lern2daydrunk. Seriously, I love getting a solid buzz going at noon and keeping it going all day until my night classes.

tokkun

Hylian7 said:
end up making you do stupid shit you regret.

There is a common conception among non-drinkers that alcohol makes you lose control over your actions and do things you don't want to do, but this is rarely true unless you are getting blind drunk.

What really happens most of the time is that alcohol lowers your social barriers allowing you to do things that you really want, but are normally too uptight to do. If you suddenly start acting like an asshole when drunk, then you are probably an asshole in normal life who tries to hide it.

Second said:
I really can't stand the taste of alcohol. All drinks with alcohol in it are gross imo.

Beer - gross
Wodka - disgusting
Wine - gross
Random sweet alcohol drink - gross
Champagne - drinkable, but still tastes bad

Even the smell of alcohol makes me feel bad. I'm 25 years old and have tasted many alcohol drinks in my life. Do I have to learn to like alcohol by drinking more of it or am I just lucky that I don't like it? I just don't understand how people can drink so much of it. And in the end they'll only embarrass themselves by being drunk and acting stupid.

Am I the only one in GAF who doesn't like the taste of alcohol???

Although I enjoy a good cider and some quality sake, there is nothing wrong with your opinion. Alcohol is massively overrated and there is a lotof rubbish out there

gin_tonic.jpg

awww yeah

EDIT: Whoa, Blue Moon has coriander in it? No wonder it's tastes like shit to me. Coriander is one of the most wretched things known to mankind.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Blue moon with a slice of orange is great.

I'm drinking some Miller Lite right now. It's mediocre taste wise but it's cheap and it goes down easy.
I like the plastic 16 ounce bottles, the screw on/off caps are amazing.

Hylian7 said:

But people like you act like you can't drink without getting stupid drunk.

In college I drank to get drunk. Maybe a few times a month.

I'm not saying you should drink, but I am saying you should probably experience something yourself before making sweeping generalizations about it.

Eventually you grow up and learn that this is stupid. And then you can drink to experience the drink itself, and not to just drink until you are stupid, which nobody really respects outside of school.

I'm four years out of college and now I drink a beer or two and really enjoy it, the beer itself, not the effects of it. It goes well with food and I'll be damned if it isn't fun to taste the zillion different beers available today.

Overall my first advice to people that say they don't like the way beer tastes is usually to stop buying cheap beer. If you're drinking PBR or Bud Light, of course you hate beer. They taste like B.O.

ghostmind

WTF

-Alcohol is gross
-I like being alone
-OMG, A GIRL - what do i do GAF??!??!?

Carpe diem. Go out. Get drunk. Sleep around. Because one day you are going to be old, and nobody is going to care why you "won" that argument on what resolution Alan Wake is rendered.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Thagomizer said:
gin_tonic.jpg

awww yeah

EDIT: Whoa, Blue Moon has coriander in it? No wonder it's tastes like shit to me. Coriander is one of the most wretched things known to mankind.
whoa whoa whoa whoa
whoa
whoa

whoa
fuck you.

shadowcomplex said:
whoa whoa whoa whoa
whoa
whoa

whoa
fuck you.

Genetic, mate. It tastes like soap to me. You know that taste experiment you did in High School Biology, where the class would put a piece of paper coated with some chemical on their tongues that would be completely tasteless to most of the class, but one or two kids would react like they just tasted dog poo?

Same principle.

Vyer

I would say that I'm surprised that so many folks here think that drinking a beer/alcohol = getting shitfaced drunk.

However, I probably thought the same way when I was younger so I have sympathy. :lol

Here's a tip, kids: everything these guys are telling you about alcohol/beer are true. It really is a taste that has to be 'accquired' (and not everyone will do that, and there's nothing wrong with that) and it can be an enjoyable experience without getting drunk and making an ass of yourself.

Enjoying a cold beer after a long/hot day, or having friends over, sitting out on the porch in the evening after a BBQ drinking a beer....man, those are some of the simple pleasures in life.

And I tell you this as someone who probably can count on one hand how many times I might have been 'drunk' and as someone who didn't drink at all until I was nearly 20.

It doesn't always have to be the annoying fratboy who gets fucked up then drives home like a dumbass.

Dogenzaka

Banned
ghostmind said:
WTF

-Alcohol is gross
-I like being alone

Carpe diem. Go out. Get drunk. Sleep around. Because one day you are going to be old, and nobody is going to care why you "won" that argument on what resolution Alan Wake is rendered.

Uhh...that's not exactly wise advice.

Whatever. Haters gotta hate. :p

ghostmind

Dogenzaka said:
Uhh...that's not exactly wise advice.

Whatever. Haters gotta hate. :p

Son, that was the wisest of advice. Get to living, before you get to dying.

And to the OP (and others) - it would be good to try to get used to the taste of alcohol, and try to find a couple common drinks that you can stand (or maybe even learn to like), because you don't want to be "the guy who orders a soda" when the boss takes you out for drinks after work, or you are entertaining a client, etc...

Tedesco! said:
14.jpg

Dee. Licious.

Testify!

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Bitmap Frogs said:
4023644549_bbb63401d6.jpg

Tastes like happyness.

Not a party drink.

I've been meaning to try some of the fortified wines out there despite not being a huge wine drinker. Port is at the top of the list. I just have a strange compulsion to be smoking a pipe while I'm at it. :p

HankToms

effingvic said:
I love my girly yummy colorful drinks. I got bailey's and coke once and it tastes like chocolate milk. MMMMMMM.

The only time I like beer is with pizza. What a marvelous combination.

20% bailey's + 80% milk = tasty chocolate milk

thats what i usually do but i'm a total lightweight (asian)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Why are people so fucking stupid to not realize that not everyone who drinks gets so drunk that they do stupid shit?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
When I was young I found a nearly empty bottle of vodka in a parking lot and it had a dead hornet in it but I drank it anyways.

xxracerxx said:
Why are people so fucking stupid to not realize that not everyone who drinks gets so drunk that they do stupid shit?

America's education system/society/jesus tells people that drinking anything with alcohol = holy fuck you're so fucking wasted you have no control over your thoughts and actions you're going to go drive drunk and blow up a bus full of orphans. So then anyone with less than half of a brain goes and either

a) does the above
b) says "no way I'm not drinking nuh-uh never."

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Mr Nash said:
I've been meaning to try some of the fortified wines out there despite not being a huge wine drinker. Port is at the top of the list. I just have a strange compulsion to be smoking a pipe while I'm at it. :p

Then try it out =D

Now, smoking or no smoking fortified wines are excellent and they have a unique feeling on the soul. Beware tho, they feel as light as water yet they carry 15-20% alc.

ndreamer

I like vodka and i drink bourbon sometimes, i need to be half smashed to drink anything else and half dead to drink wine.

Majmun

pjberri said:
You're just fucking ignorant, and I'm assuming very young.

Are you drunk? Read the OP, I'm 25 years old.

And why do some of you think that people who don't like alcohol are virgin basement dwellers?

I personally don't need alcohol to talk to other people. I have a great personal and social life and can basically get any girl that I want! Even with 0% alcohol in my blood.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
ghostmind said:
WTF

-Alcohol is gross
-I like being alone

I love you. Please have my children.

I like to get drunk.

Generally when I drink some nice wine, I want more. Same with nice scotch or beer. I end up getting drunk becuase I have had lots of nice drinks.

And when I am drinking, I like to sit and talk to other people (beats drinking a nice drink by myself). Hence it turns out that I am usually drunk around other people who I like and are generally having a good time.

I associate being drunk with so many good times in my life, I dont think I will ever get tired of getting drunk.

But each his own I suppose.

Monocle

I refuse to believe anyone would reject dessert wine or champagne. They're the most inoffensive alcoholic beverages I can think of that aren't mixed drinks.

And also, in defense of getting drunk, I have done so hundreds of times and I haven't once, ever, done anything I regret. The people who haven't drank, please stop telling us the effects it has if you haven't experienced them yourself. There are bad drunks who act like complete idiots, sure, and everyone says and acts stupid from time to time, but it's just funny in the morning for the most part, not embarrassing or regrettable.

You'll hear stories of people going out and sleeping with monsters, but if you don't go out with the intention of sleeping around, you won't end up sleeping around. I don't typically take anything passed a kiss when I'm drunk because I know it doesn't usually end well and I've never been the guy to go for a drunken one night stand. You don't lose all control when you're drunk...

Second said:
I really can't stand the taste of alcohol. All drinks with alcohol in it are gross imo.

Beer - gross
Wodka - disgusting
Wine - gross
Random sweet alcohol drink - gross
Champagne - drinkable, but still tastes bad

Even the smell of alcohol makes me feel bad. I'm 25 years old and have tasted many alcohol drinks in my life. Do I have to learn to like alcohol by drinking more of it or am I just lucky that I don't like it? I just don't understand how people can drink so much of it. And in the end they'll only embarrass themselves by being drunk and acting stupid.

Am I the only one in GAF who doesn't like the taste of alcohol???

lebowski.jpg

Well that's like, your opinion, man.

Sh1ner

exception to this rule:
Jagermeister (tastes like cough medicine on its own) + coke
= sweet coke ftw.

Most of everything else does taste tolerable but not actually enjoyable.

And I am with the beer hate squad, I dont care if its bitter which has been correctly brewed or horrible lager. It is created as a cheapo alternative to spirits for football fans and is advetised as. It tastes like shit in my opinion. I am in the UK btw.

I haven't really tried wines so I will keep my mouth shut before the wine defence force grab their uncorkers to stab me.

I haven't stopped trying some of this stuff though, never know maybe 1 of them may be good.

What you need is just a drink that doesn't taste like it has alcohol.

arnold_palmer_blk_lg.jpg
+
tn_smirnoff_premium_vodka.jpg

It's delicious simply because palmer is delicious, and that's all you taste!

Also:

chocolatemilk.jpg
+
Schnapps_Dr_McGillicuddy_Menthol.gif

Mint Chocolate milk. So good. Also works with hot chocolate.

Talon

Sh1ner said:
And I am with the beer hate squad, I dont care if its bitter which has been correctly brewed or horrible lager. It is created as a cheapo alternative to spirits for football fans and is advetised as. It tastes like shit in my opinion. I am in the UK btw.
Chimay, motherfucker!

arizona-iced-tea-96258.jpg
+
Smirnoff-Lime-lg.jpg

This is really good too. The lime compliments the lemon tea really well, but the alcohol taste is a lot stronger in this drink that in the palmer+vodka. The regular Smirnoff also goes down a lot better than the lime.

MickD

Yea I like scotch, too bad I'm kinda an alcoholic. I haven't drank in two weeks, first time in a very long time. I don't drink beer or anything else, maybe whiskey or wine on occasion. I always puke when I drink vodka. Cannot drink rum. I like brandy too much. etc etc.

After watching Mad Men i began to mix my own Martinis and i love them.

I'm also mixing my own Caipirinhas for many years now. This is truly a ritual that i do for pure pleasure and taste, not to get drunk.

Davidion

ColonelColon said:
I still don't understand why I'm weird for not drinking alcohol at restaurants. wtf? I can't have individual preferences?

Weird maybe putting a harsher spin on it than necessary. But still, not ordering an alcoholic beverage with your meal can certainly be seen as being unusual at fine dining establishments. Ordering a drink, usually wine or a cocktail, is simply customary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom