• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alcohol drinks are gross

Status
Not open for further replies.

-KRS-

I generally don't like alcohol either. But sometimes I can enjoy a nice Belgian ale, and even one or two glasses of some fine single malt whisky if I feel like it.

But I don't like being drunk. It's just not for me. I've found something else for that. And outside of some brands of beer and single malt whisky I never drink alcohol.

Edit: though I have to admit that the buzz I get from whisky is a bit different than that of other kinds of alcohol, and it feels a little better.

MaxSteel

speculawyer said:
Well if you enjoy the buzz, you learn to love the taste of alcohol.

Think about smoking . . . who the fuck voluntarily breathes in smoke? If there is a fire in your house, most people would leave. But these people light up and breathe in smoke!

and it feels fantastic

at least with wine there are lots of choices where the taste is really variant.

I like to get easily wasted on sweet white whine, tastes like juice and get smashed quick

Minamu

HappyBivouac said:
Well that's just crazy. That's nowhere near the same thing.
I put them in the same bag of crazy notions ;) Anyway, most alcoholic beverages tend to make me physically gag so I try to stay away from it but sometimes peer pressure gets the better of me unfortunately :( I don't have any negative memories from my youth, involving alcohol anyway, so I don't really know why I dislike it so much :lol

desverger

When I was like, I don't know, 8 or something, my dad offered me to taste beer. Not like a whole can or anything, just a sip. I did, and it was utterly terrible :lol

Took me about 20 years to actually start drinking any kind of alcohol at all. These days I can appreciate a good beer or scotch whisky though :p

I guess there's a lesson here somewhere, either a good or a bad one!

dude

dude
I agree. I like white wine (I don't like red whine though), other than that the only times I can stand alcohol are when it's diluted enough with other less disgusting stuff, but really, there's no point in it. Getting drunk is very overrated as well.

I've tried dozens of drinks in my life, trying to fit in with my friends and all that, until I just sort of gave up. I'll try something that looks interesting every once in a while, but so far it's always the same - disgusting.

I'm a beer guy mostly. I've worked in brewery restaurants and beer focused places for ever so I have tried ever single beer I ever could (~300 different from everywhere on earth). I do love my whiskey though, even if it doesn't love me.
I always want to try a manhatten at a new bar (if it's nice) because I've had so many of them but so few that I really liked. It's an amazing crap shoot.

The worst drink ever is a sexy alligator, don't let people talk you into drinking it.
?Back in Kansas, a friend of mine had a signature shot we would always do - Sambuca and Bailey's... I don't recommend it.

Lagspike_exe said:
What's Wodka? :lol
yelchin-chekov-2-02.jpg

MaxSteel

i don't know many people that drink for the taste - beer fans and scotch fans, maybe

i drink to get buzzed and then usually get drunk, taste be damned

that said, i stick to beers, don't really care what type, gin + tonic, rum + coke, mojito's if i'm on vacay or at a mexican joint, and shots of whatever

Konka

Banned
If you think alcohol is gross then I bet that for a drink to be good it has to be sweet. I need me some whiskey.

DSK123

Neo Member
"Wódka may refer to:

* Wódka, the Polish word for vodka
* Wódka, Łódź Voivodeship (central Poland)
* Wódka, Opole Voivodeship (south-west Poland)
"

desverger

BobTheFork said:
Back in Kansas, a friend of mine had a signature shot we would always do - Sambuca and Bailey's... I don't recommend it.

That sounds awful :lol

Bailey's is kinda sweet tasting, I can't imagine how it would taste to add sugar-soaked anis liquor in it..

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Big-E said:
For people who don't drink I always wondered what it is like when you go out to a fancy restaurant. What do you order with your meal? Ordering mineral water I guess could cover stuff up but it just looks weird if no wine is ordered with a meal.
I know someone that got a funny look ordering coke at a restaurant with a steak. People looked at him as if he were crazy. He's a recovering alcoholic so he avoids all alcohol but still, it's just the convention.

I love beer. I know some people can't stand it but it's so cold and crisp. It really does taste very good. I love a good blue moon.

And wtf at all the "omg wodka!!!" bashing, lol.

JoeMartin said:
Gin.

Hit all the usuals: Beefeater, Tanqueray, Sapphire, and of course Hendricks. Make martinis and g&t's, or drink it straight, see what you like. Gin is underappreciated.

I love me some juniper berry. A lot of people don't like gin because, well, good gin has flavor and most people stick to their flavorless crappy WODKA that they got used to drinking in dorm parties.

Sapphire or Tanqueray and some good tonic could quench the thirst of a man who had been walking in the desert for a year.

dude

dude
Konka said:
If you think alcohol is gross then I bet that for a drink to be good it has to be sweet. I need me some whiskey.
I mostly hate sweet drinks, I drink mostly water (I also hate coffee.)

Esch

Banned
Wellscha said:
If only I could find a beer that taste like this.

ProdPerrier03.jpg

I'd definitely savor the taste.

i would honestly rather chug natty light than sip on perrier, the stuff is gross IMO

desverger said:
That sounds awful :lol

Bailey's is kinda sweet tasting, I can't imagine how it would taste to add sugar-soaked anis liquor in it..
Honestly, it wasn't AWFUL the first time I did it, just bad. After doing them for a few years, you start to like it.

@Y2kev - Yeah I don't know what else I could eat an expensive meal with. We do Honestly I have a hard time drinking only water with a meal ever. I always have a glass, but I need something with flavor with my food.h

In order to get alcohol, you have to ferment or rot something. Something has to sit there rotting until it becomes a poison that effects your brain. That is exactly what alcohol is, a poison that comes from a rotting substance.

I don't smoke weed eaither, but I feel it's ten times better and safer for you.

Majmun

Hmm, I also don't like tea or coffee. They have a laxative effect on me.

But yeah, I drink wine in a restaurant. I slurp tiny amounts of it, though. It takes me a long time to drink a whole glass of wine. I mostly just order a tonic drink afterwards.

Konka

Banned
Dark Octave said:
In order to get alcohol, you have to ferment or rot something. Something has to sit there rotting until it becomes a poison that effects your brain. That is exactly what alcohol is, a poison that comes from a rotting substance.

I don't smoke weed eaither, but I feel it's ten times better and safer for you.

Do you eat cheese?

Shanadeus

Banned
zoukka said:
Eh... do you know why people drink booze?
I really have no idea, the people around me drink booze just to get drunk.
It's not like I wanna hate on alcohol, I'd love to enjoy a good glass of wine and being able to find a wine tasting event enjoyable.
I just can't get over the fact that I simply don't like it, I've never had a single glass of wine that I've enjoyed - and I've had plenty.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I'm exactly the same way. All I taste when I drink anything with alcohol in it is alcohol. Except beer, which is just gross. My friends try to tell me that beer taste better after time but I'm not going to force myself to drink some nasty shit until it isn't nasty anymore. I'll just drink something that isn't nasty.

Konka

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
I'm exactly the same way. All I taste when I drink anything with alcohol in it is alcohol. Except beer, which is just gross. My friends try to tell me that beer taste better after time but I'm not going to force myself to drink some nasty shit until it isn't nasty anymore. I'll just drink something that isn't nasty.

Your loss.

zoukka

_tetsuo_ said:

How do you intoxicate yourself then?

Big-E said:
For people who don't drink I always wondered what it is like when you go out to a fancy restaurant. What do you order with your meal? Ordering mineral water I guess could cover stuff up but it just looks weird if no wine is ordered with a meal.

wtf? Do people really think about this sort of shit?

Big-E

Wellscha said:
If only I could find a beer that taste like this.

ProdPerrier03.jpg

I'd definitely savor the taste.

Perrier I find is the absolute worst when it comes to mineral water. So many better brands out there. Perrier is actually the only mineral water I won't drink.

ColonelColon said:
wtf? Do people really think about this sort of shit?

It isn't normal to not order wine at a fine restaurant.

Big-E

Second said:
What do you gain by drinking alcohol? :lol

Except for a beer belly, getting sick, headaches, embarrassing moments or even death...

Ya because alcohol has no enjoyable tastes. Humans only drink it to get fucked and sick because it is fun. People who enjoy wine at a restaurant are just doing it to get fucked up.

Konka said:
Do you eat cheese?
Good point. I love cheese.

But it's not a poison. Alcohol technically is. It really isn't meant to be consumed and the body lets us know this by it's taste and effects on our brains and bodies.

But I'm not out to ruin a good party. If you drink, drink on. It's just not for me.

Wellscha

EschatonDX said:
i would honestly rather chug natty light than sip on perrier, the stuff is gross IMO

Big-E said:
Perrier I find is the absolute worst when it comes to mineral water. So many better brands out there. Perrier is actually the only mineral water I won't drink.

It doesn't taste that bad. Just a bit metallic.

zoukka

Second said:

Except for a beer belly, getting sick, headaches, embarrassing moments or even death...

Yeah because like... you can't have fun while being drunk :lol

Getting rid of your inhibitions instantly in a nice company is really relaxing and fun. Often leads to nice outcomes :b And let's skip the "can't you have fun as sober" bullshit. I've had my best experiences as sober, but being drunk is a different thing. It really can open you up in a healthy way. Or the bad way if the company is shady and you are wasted :b

Without booze I never would've had the courage to start dancing in public for instance. If you can, ALL the power to you. But I'm sure many people can't just snap their fingers and lose all inhibitions just like that.

Trying to be friendly here.

Konka

Banned
Second said:

Again why the hell do you have this absurd assumption that people only drink to get drunk? My lord the same shit over and over gets annoying.

People who don't like alcohol all seem to have the same assumptions.

But it's not a poison. Alcohol technically is. It really isn't meant to be consumed and the body lets us know this by it's taste and effects on our brains and bodies.

But I'm not out to ruin a good party. If you drink, drink on. It's just not for me.

We've been drinking for as long as we've had organized society in fact I'd hazard a guess that without alcohol we'd be nowhere near as civilized.

It is from cracked but makes some good points.

While we're no prohibitionists, you have to admit you get a lot less done on those days you come to work drunk. It's a good thing our ancestors didn't have hooch around, or they'd have been too drunk to run from those saber-toothed tigers, right? After all, isn't alcohol a byproduct of our decadent modern civilization? And what great inventor ever wound up pantsless on an episode of Cops?

Well believe it or not, without booze there's a good chance modern civilization would never have happened.

First of all, scientists suspect that humans have been boozehounds since our very earliest days when we looked like something you'd hire an exterminator to chase out of your attic. Our bodies are actually designed for alcohol consumption, with portions of our livers specifically designated for metabolizing alcohol.

So human beings have been getting tanked for ages. But that just means that somehow we survived despite our drunkenness (and the fact that it helped ugly cavemen hook up), right?

Actually, some researchers think it goes way beyond that. Human beings only truly started to thrive once we developed agriculture, as it allowed us to settle down and start multiplying like catholic bunnies. And while a guy out on his own could maybe grow enough grain to feed himself and his family, to grow enough grain so that you have excess to brew beer with, well, that takes a lot of people working together. That takes a village.

And beer gnomes.

This is why when you look back at Sumer, aka the very first actual civilization in human history, you find they used half of their grain for beer. Beer was what put asses in the seats, the one big draw of city life. It was something you just couldn't get as a roaming solitary nomad. For ancient man, beer was nothing short of a wonderful promise of what civilized human life could be, distilled into liquid form.

Sorry, we teared up there for a second.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
I can only stand light beer, but with 5 light beers I am already falling drunk. So, I just don't drink anymore.

Amakusa

Second said:
I really can't stand the taste of alcohol. All drinks with alcohol in it are gross imo.

Beer - gross
Wodka - disgusting
Wine - gross
Random sweet alcohol drink - gross
Champagne - drinkable, but still tastes bad

Even the smell of alcohol makes me feel bad. I'm 25 years old and have tasted many alcohol drinks in my life. Do I have to learn to like alcohol by drinking more of it or am I just lucky that I don't like it? I just don't understand how people can drink so much of it. And in the end they'll only embarrass themselves by being drunk and acting stupid.

Am I the only one in GAF who doesn't like the taste of alcohol???

Try drinking a few ICE Cold Beers in the summer or with afew of your friends. Do this about once a week, you'll love the taste after a while. Its not soda, its not sweet, so don't put it on your drink list with Cola and Dr. Pepper :b

Beer... its in a league of its own.

Konka

Banned
Amakusa said:
Try drinking a few ICE Cold Beers in the summer or with afew of your friends. Do this about once a week, you'll love the taste after a while. Its not soda, its not sweet, so don't put it on your drink list with Cola and Dr. Pepper :b

It truly is. And then halfway through that first beer you just feel more relaxed, especially outside. Oh man it's the best.

Amakusa said:

That's all good and sometimes I wish I did like the taste of beer and alcohol, but to practice in order to tollerate something, just doesn't make sense to me.

Majmun

Konka said:
Again why the hell do you have this absurd assumption that people only drink to get drunk? My lord the same shit over and over gets annoying.

People who don't like alcohol all seem to have the same assumptions.

What about this assumption: People who don't drink alcohol are missing out on something.

I guess that's a valid objective assumption?

Konka

Banned
Second said:
What about this assumption: People who don't drink alcohol are missing out on something.

Yes, you are literally missing out on the tastes and feeling that only alcohol can provide.

Second said:

Here's another one: people create threads to provoke arguments.

It's not that you're "missing out" on something, but you do seem to have extremely limited experience on the topic at hand due to your preconceived notions.

Subitai

I have to say I agree. I've tried beer, vodka, and wine on different occasions and really didn't feel like paying any more for beverages that gave me the urge to puke.

Konka

Banned
Subitai said:
I have to say I agree. I've tried beer, vodka, and wine on different occasions and really didn't feel like paying any more for beverages that gave me the urge to puke.

Guess what? I'd be shocked if you could find somebody who likes alcohol when they first start drinking.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
How can I consume copious amounts of alcohol without feeling sleepy afterwards?

Retro

Edit: Holy crap, kind of a long post for this thread. Ignore it unless you're HappyBivouac, I guess :lol

HappyBivouac said:
The reason beer gives you that feeling as opposed to liquor is obviously that you are likely to drink higher quantities of beer than liquor, but also because of carbonation. The fact that you're sensitive to that makes this a bit harder.

I figured that or the yeast was to blame. The one time I've ever been sick after drinking was after lots of liquor (at which point I felt drunk but not sick) and being given a single bottle of beer. It literally felt like it sank to the bottom of my stomach like a brick. The only beer I haven't experienced this with was MGD, but I can't say the flavor impressed me much at all.

I didn't suspect the carbonation since most of the mixers I favor (Tonic water, Sprite, Ginger Ale) are carbonated anyways.

HappyBivouac said:
It sounds like Blue Moon might be up your alley, but you say you didn't like "Pale Moon Ale" and I can't find any beer listed under that name, so if you're meaning Blue Moon, then disregard this.

Nope, it's Pale Moon...
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/306/42887

HappyBivouac said:
Blue Moon has a very orangey fruit flavor to it. They brew it with orange peel and coriander seed, true to the style of a belgian witbier, and it combines wonderfully with the wheat in it. A lot of beer snobs thumb their nose at the stuff but I have to give it credit for being a well-crafted and very drinkable witbier. However, you will get that carbonation sick/full feeling from this if you got it from the other beers you've tried.

I'll give it a try, I'm always willing to try just about anything once when it comes to alcohol. There's something almost alchemical about mixing strange concoctions together that draws me towards the life of the barfly.

Next time I'm out I'll ask for a Blue Moon and see how I like it. I can figure out the sick feeling on my own (maybe I'm the exception to the Beer before liquor... rule), simply having a beer that strikes my tastebuds would be a nice first step. I've heard numerous times that some beers just don't sit with people and one really needs to sample a variety to find their 'beer niche'. :lol. It's just always felt weird since I enjoy drinks that most of my friends and family purposely avoid. Every time I order a G&T I get razzed about it.

HappyBivouac said:
I guess I have to ask: if you're going to drink beer, how important is it to you that you'll feel the alcohol? Fruit beers like Lindemans and Samuel Smith Organic Fruit Ales (both kinda pricey), as well as the aforementioned Blue Moon (not really a fruit beer by strict classification) would be great for your palate, but they're in the 4%-5.5% ABV range so you need several to feel anything, and that's obviously not what you want.

I honestly want a decent beer for meals and relaxing. I'm well past the point where drunkenness itself is a form of entertainment, so alcoholic content isn't as important as drink-ability and pairing with meals.

HappyBivouac said:
Get a small bottle (or big if you want to share) of Chimay Blue (alternatively Goose Island Pere Jacques at $9-$10 a 4pk) and pour it into a chalice/goblet/red wine glass/snifter if you have them, or any old glass if you don't. Serve that with a robust, cheesy Italian dish and/or a steak and get back to me. It's a very unique flavor, and I've seen many eyes widen (in a good way) drinking a strong trappist ale with a good meal. It is very high quality stuff and quite delicious. At the very least it will vastly broaden your horizons on what beer can taste like and be an interesting experience.

That sounds exactly what I'm looking for. Price isn't that much of an issue since I go out so rarely so I don't mind splurging when I do, especially if it's worth it.

HappyBivouac said:
Downing MGDs will hardly ever be described as a unique experience. That's the beauty of constantly trying new beer. There are so many different flavors out there, and many people will sadly only ever try one or two of them.

That's more or less what I'm aiming for. All of the beers I've tried thus far have fallen into the category of 'whatever is in friend/brother/father's fridge.' I'd honestly like to find my go-to beer so I can work out from it; if I favor a Dark Ale, I'll try others like it, etc.

Was at a nice little restaurant in Michigan just before I moved to the East Coast, the place was notorious among the locals for offering hundreds of kinds of beer, including some rather odd imports from places like Sri Lanka and China (keeping in mind this is the sticks in the middle of the Midwest, of course). Liquor is fantastic and I don't think I'll ever stop drinking cocktails, but I'd also like to branch out, so to speak, into the World of Beer.:lol

HappyBivouac said:
ONE more thing: do you like bourbon?

Absolutely. My brother and I drank a bottle of 1792 over last New Years Eve and I always keep a bottle of Jim Beam in my bar (which at the moment, sadly, is a corner of the kitchen counter).

Thanks again for the recommendation, I'll give the Chimay Grand Reserve a try next time I'm out to dinner (well, at someplace that's likely to have it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom