• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienation |OT| They're coming outta the goddamn walls!

OCD Guy

Posts over on the Housemarque forums suggest that if sales are good enough there might be more content in the future, but they've also said that their sales 'could be better'. The structure of the DLC (including pricing, release dates and what's inside) was decided by the publisher, so it seems like Housemarque didn't have much say on what was added with the DLC. Like you said, I'd much rather have some more variety at end game, some new areas, more challenging content outside of the Ark ship and some more variety in weaponry. We'll have to wait and see but don't get your hopes up I guess.

It's a shame this game is likely overlooked by the mainstream. Time will tell what the future holds, but the question is will anyone care by that point.

Still I've gotten my money's worth without a doubt. But if they released some new classes that would give me even more reason to stick with it as I'd try and level them up again.

One thing though, I've not maxed all the abilities but I've noticed since getting to level 30 I don't seem to be unlocking anymore ability points. Is that right? I'd have thought you could max out your character.

Does this game have a fully offline campaign mode without requiring internet connection or the invasion mode?

I play souls games offline so I don't have to deal with invasions and also don't like games that force you online

Looks good and I'm interested z loved dead nation

lt519

It is a damn shame this got overlooked by the mainstream. They needed some more press. It's a lot deeper than just a twin stick shooter and has a very satisfying gameplay loop a lot of Diablo players may enjoy.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
One thing though, I've not maxed all the abilities but I've noticed since getting to level 30 I don't seem to be unlocking anymore ability points. Is that right? I'd have thought you could max out your character.
That's correct. You have to choose what abilities you want to prioritize. You can't max everything.

Does this game have a fully offline campaign mode without requiring internet connection or the invasion mode?
Yes. You can play without online, and you can toggle invasions. So you can stay online and opt out of invadsions too.

That's correct. You have to choose what abilities you want to prioritize. You can't max everything.

Yes. You can play without online, and you can toggle invasions. So you can stay online and opt out of invadsions too.

Nice! Thank you for the info

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Hmm, I was right about to buy this today but if it's not doing so well then it seems to be a game ripe for PS Plus. Might just wait it out then.

Dan

Hmm, I was right about to buy this today but if it's not doing so well then it seems to be a game ripe for PS Plus. Might just wait it out then.
You're part of the problem! Game is great, well worth supporting now.

OCD Guy

Ah ok, at least I know now. I was kinda going crazy wondering why I wasn't unlocking anymore ability points.

It's a shame as I'd have loved to be able to max my character out (in terms of abilities)

Honestly this game is well worth a purchase. For the amount it costs and the amount of hours playability it's incredible.

It's seriously one of the most enjoyable games I've played this gen (and I've played a lot of them)

TEH-CJ

Banned
This game needs more support and dlc asap. I still play it daily.

Think I might make some videos to help push this game. More people need to see how awesome it is, and how much potential it has to be something special.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Posts over on the Housemarque forums suggest that if sales are good enough there might be more content in the future, but they've also said that their sales 'could be better'. The structure of the DLC (including pricing, release dates and what's inside) was decided by the publisher, so it seems like Housemarque didn't have much say on what was added with the DLC. Like you said, I'd much rather have some more variety at end game, some new areas, more challenging content outside of the Ark ship and some more variety in weaponry. We'll have to wait and see but don't get your hopes up I guess.

What's the point in releasing a season pass is they don't plan to release anymore content? :(

Dan

What's the point in releasing a season pass is they don't plan to release anymore content? :(
There is, the Conqueror’s Pack and Veteran Heroes Pack. That's the extent of the current plans, however, along with some more patches and smaller free updates of one sort or another.

Conqueror's features two more weapons and three more armor colors. The ability to change armor colors after character creation is coming in the next patch. Veteran Heroes, as far as we know, is a shortcut to starting a new character and boosting them to level 15.

From what it all sounds like, Housemarque would love to add more and bigger updates, but it's up to Sony to pull the trigger on that. More sales with a bigger prospective audience for further DLCs might push Sony in that direction.

TEH-CJ

Banned
There is, the Conqueror’s Pack and Veteran Heroes Pack. That's the extent of the current plans, however, along with some more patches and smaller free updates of one sort or another.

Conqueror's features two more weapons and three more armor colors. The ability to change armor colors after character creation is coming in the next patch. Veteran Heroes, as far as we know, is a shortcut to starting a new character and boosting them to level 15.

From what it all sounds like, Housemarque would love to add more and bigger updates, but it's up to Sony to pull the trigger on that. More sales with a bigger prospective audience for further DLCs might push Sony in that direction.

oh wow that sounds great! I had no idea they had that planned. I really hope Sony pushes them because this game is really underrated. Also...god damn how good are the graphics and particle effects in this!

Uncharted 4 be damned, Alienation is the best looking game on ps4 imo.

Dan

I just had epic luck in a run through a Brazil mission on master difficulty. I scored big with three 12-socket weapons. One energy gun, two xenorifles. Plus other lesser legendaries. It was absurd. I made sure to scour the full stage since my luck was crazy after getting my second one in a row.

I'm running so low on legendary metal, however. It's hard to reroll the sockets enough to really capitalize on all these guns.

edbrat

I liked Dead Nation but this is insane, I got it the other day and played nearly all day yesterday. The basic mechanics are so so satisfying and there is a long, long skill curve.

On World 2 with legendaries - do you count the action perk as an extra slot? What is speed jolt? The boomerang on shoot is insane I have that on my primary. Weirdly I have a primary and secondary with equal slots (12) and the primary has much higher damage. Haven't quite worked out how to optimise cores. I am shit at the UNC things and have no idea what the UFO and battleship stuff does.

I never really got hooked by a loot type game before. Jumping in and out with online coop is so easy and so much fun. Hit me with all you got Housemarque. And if you haven't bought this after the discount you're nuts, this is great. Less than 20 cigs in the UK and so much better for you! And also map reload to R1 if you're a ham-fisted monster like me.

edbrat

I just had epic luck in a run through a Brazil mission on master difficulty. I scored big with three 12-socket weapons. One energy gun, two xenorifles. Plus other lesser legendaries. It was absurd. I made sure to scour the full stage since my luck was crazy after getting my second one in a row.

You monster, you lucky lucky lucky monster you!

If you reroll the slots are you also risking changing the original perk?

haikira

Grabbed this last week, and I've played a little coop here and there with two friends. Loving this game so far.

Wondering how the loot system works though, as I noticed one of the loading tips mentions it's first come first serve, however some gear seems like it can only be picked up by one of us. I was thinking that since the three of us are playing different classes, that there's perhaps a class restriction to picking up certain equipment?

Also, how should the loot boxes at the end of the mission be handled? I think they're colour coded to match the characters, although anyone seems able to open and loot any colour. Not really a problem if I'm playing local, but i'm guessing just take turns opening and looting our matching colours?

Number45

Are you playing co-op locally or online? Online has always been unique (per player) loot, but I think they mentioned local is shared.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Are you playing co-op locally or online? Online has always been unique (per player) loot, but I think they mentioned local is shared.

I think some of it is shared but some is not I remember not being able to pick up some loot when my friend could...

Maybe nothing is shared and I just noticed it 2 or 3 times.

IbukiLordSA

I picked this up today after reading through some of the comments here, looking forward to getting stuck in with it. At first I heard it was online only but here it seems you can play offline as well which is great. Was the one thing stopping me from buying as I am moving house soon and won't have internet until they reconnect to the new place, so didn't want to dive in.

Think I will start of with Saboteur class.

Number45

The Ark ships have leaderboards which adds some longevity and I understand the latest patch added some new configurations into the mix, but yes it lacks unique end game content unfortunately.

I would hope that's coming down the line. It's certainly what I'm waiting for before jumping back in.

IbukiLordSA

Wow holy crap this game is fucking amazing. Tight responsive controls, looks amazing and runs so smoothly even with all the shit on screen, quick in and out online flawless co-op gameplay, amazing and addictive loot system, and really shit online players, like really shit, game has it all :)

Online is pretty damn impressive as well. Played for like 2 hours straight, at level 10 at the moment playing on Veteran, perfect mix of difficulty and challenge. Buy this game if you haven't yet while it is on special.

pottuvoi

Banned
Started playing yesterday and really like it thus far.
Had some very short games when joining others, but got legendary launcher for under minute of playing so I'm not complaining.

Would love to see Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance sequel done with the engine.

OCD Guy

I absolutely love this game, I play it every single day. I've bought the season pass, and am just about to reach 30/275 on my third and final class.

But I need some new content now, and not just more weapons, which should be a given as there's nowhere near enough variety and that includes me having access to all 3 primary weapons.. I also don't simply want the hero rank limit to be raised.

I want some new classes, and new levels. There is so much they could do to this game, and it's a shame that we're likely not going to see much more (if you go by their responses on the housemarque forums)

edbrat

I absolutely love this game, I play it every single day. I've bought the season pass, and am just about to reach 39/275 on my third and final class.

But I need some new content now, and not just more weapons, which should be a given as there's nowhere near enough variety and that includes me having access to all 3 primary weapons.. I also don't simply want the hero rank limit to be raised.

I want some new classes, and new levels. There is so much they could do to this game, and it's a shame that we're likely not going to see much more (if you go by their responses on the housemarque forums)

I'm the same I play it all the time, on the verge of promotion to the top online division etc etc and I can't get enough. More of everything would be good but I don't want them to ruin the balance or the formula. I'm close to being maxed out, been on 30/275 for ages, 12 socket legendaries and they are close to being filled with lvl 6 doodads. Once I've got all lvl 6s I can't think of much else to do but I hate the idea of stopping playing. Do me a solid Housemarque!

OCD Guy

I'm the same I play it all the time, on the verge of promotion to the top online division etc etc and I can't get enough. More of everything would be good but I don't want them to ruin the balance or the formula. I'm close to being maxed out, been on 30/275 for ages, 12 socket legendaries and they are close to being filled with lvl 6 doodads. Once I've got all lvl 6s I can't think of much else to do but I hate the idea of stopping playing. Do me a solid Housemarque!

A look at their forums is depressing.

Just recently they responded to someone asking for new classes for example, and they basically said that while they did have concepts for new classes, they're not working on anything.

So frustrating as pretty much every game out there throws content out there all the time to try and milk consumers, and the one game that I find that I'd gladly throw money at and there's nothing.

I'd love to know how many copies they've sold....

Also a bit random but have I got you on my PSN, I played with a gaffer last night doing the ufo and ark ship missions etc and their PSN name is almost like a play on your gaf username??

IbukiLordSA

Ok seriously how on earth do you complete the Ark mission on Legend, there is 1 room that keeps spawning in the map that is a long rectangle shape with a bunch of blocks inside it, then laser beams shooting from all directions. I cannot see enough of the room to know where is safe and where isn't, it's incredibly frustrating as I can't see enough to figure out the pattern and they kill my character in one shot.

edbrat

Ok seriously how on earth do you complete the Ark mission on Legend, there is 1 room that keeps spawning in the map that is a long rectangle shape with a bunch of blocks inside it, then laser beams shooting from all directions. I cannot see enough of the room to know where is safe and where isn't, it's incredibly frustrating as I can't see enough to figure out the pattern and they kill my character in one shot.

yes it can be a nightmare, I've usually managed to find places where you can chill in the room for a few secs and then I'll usually panic and use that health perk and sprint out.

OCD Guy

There is a pattern to the beams. Best thing to do is find a spot to observe the pattern so you get a feel for it. The pattern is kinda like a criss-cross (not great at explaining it). I've noticed many people go back to revive dead team mates on that spot, but that often leads to non-stop dead-revive rinse and repeat. When I'm hosting the best thing to do is just keep going as your team mates respawn later and it's safer to revive them then.

With regards to the enemies, I tend to like to use Artillery strike, or poison cloud and just dash towards the enemies, the shotgun works wonders while I'm running towards them. If you use a tank, then get your shield up and again use a shotgun.

I really like the shotgun now, it's probably my favourite weapon as the fire rate is incredible and I can make large numbers of enemies disappear in seconds. I absolutely hate the revolver.

I managed to find a good group of randoms last night and we ended up "going deeper" 5 times, I then had to quit out so just collected the rewards, but I'm curious how many times you can keep going?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just picked this up and wow - it's SUPER fun.

Any early game tips to pass on? And is there any actual DLC, or is it only just bullet colors?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Keep switching between weapons. When you pick up ammo you get a lot more ammo for the weapons you're not currently using. If you are running low on your main weapon, switch to another weapon when you are about to pick up ammo.

Cool - I was actually curious how that works. I was nearly out of ammo and ended up dying on a mission earlier as a result.

Is it worth playing older missions and just exploring the map, or running the campaign missions to get them done? Do you get better drops on later missions??

edbrat

Is it worth playing older missions and just exploring the map, or running the campaign missions to get them done? Do you get better drops on later missions??

I'd get to lvl 30 and world 2 asap - loot drops on Veteran / Master are much better, then it's worth your while rerunning stuff. How much depends on your thirst for gear and upgrades.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Got my first few legendaries last night! I mean, they're only level 12-13, but they're SO much better than my other gear. I went from doing OK on Normal to breezing through Veteran. I also discovered that cores are not permanent, and that's amazing. I love how you can tinker with stuff like that and NOT be penalized for it.

Question about a few things:

1. If I salvage a weapon that has cores in it, do I get them back? Like if I simply forget to pull them out on accident.?
  2. What's the various DLC and is it worth it? I have read something about the loot unlock being terrible because you start finding gear for other classes that you cannot use...
  3. Similar to above, I saw something about a Vortex Grenade. Is that DLC exclusive and is THAT worth it?
  4. What's the point of leveling beyond 30? It looks like the max is 275, but you stop getting skill points at 30 from my understanding.

OCD Guy

Got my first few legendaries last night! I mean, they're only level 12-13, but they're SO much better than my other gear. I went from doing OK on Normal to breezing through Veteran. I also discovered that cores are not permanent, and that's amazing. I love how you can tinker with stuff like that and NOT be penalized for it.

Question about a few things:

1. If I salvage a weapon that has cores in it, do I get them back? Like if I simply forget to pull them out on accident.?
  2. What's the various DLC and is it worth it? I have read something about the loot unlock being terrible because you start finding gear for other classes that you cannot use...
  3. Similar to above, I saw something about a Vortex Grenade. Is that DLC exclusive and is THAT worth it?
  4. What's the point of leveling beyond 30? It looks like the max is 275, but you stop getting skill points at 30 from my understanding.

Yes if you salvage a weapon you get the cores back.

The DLC is worth it in my opinion, it allows you to use all primary weapons, so for example as a tank you have access to the SMG and Xenorifle as opposed to just the energy gun, it also gives you the Vertex Grenade,which is absolutely awesome, bullet ammo colours and the soundtrack to the game (not even listened to that yet) and obviously future access to the new weapons coming.

The Vertex grenade is a dlc purchase, either separately or in the season pass. It is the best equipment in my opinion. It can literally put a stop to a large number of enemies, really good for when hordes attack, in choke points, challenges etc

As your hero level increases so does your HP level. Although I've now ranked all 3 classes to 30/275 and I play for pure enjoyment and also as I've not unlocked every single 12 slot legendary weapon. The other thing that's keeping me playing is the leagues.

Trash Man

Neo Member
My brother has been pestering me for a while to get this game. I've been putting it off has I have a backlog of stuff to get through but I finally gave in.

Damn this game is good, well worth the money.

Unknown?

Maybe I worded it wrong but if I get the Asian English version will I still be able to download the patches on a US account? I want to get this game for the coop but would prefer physical.

Top Bottom