• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazing character design

sciplore

Guybrush Threepwood said:
WTF I just realized...

Disney copied Nintendo's design.

When will Americans get their own ideas?

Japan for life!

Are you serious or is this a mockery of the killzone 2 designs and that anime it stole "heavily borrowed" from post?

Blizzard

Banned
Nooreo said:
wlk12801024pf0.jpg

Amazing is an understatement

Not very similar I suppose, but
sauron1.jpg

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
What the fuck is with this thread? Anime chicks with weird shit hanging off them, alien knockoffs and space armor dudes. Holy crap.

To each his own, I guess.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
58a1fb6c291383ce79d3d0aba156c7f5.jpg

Very fond of this one for some reason. Never even played the damn game.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Catalix said:
Very fond of this one for some reason. Never even played the damn game.
I like the facial expression. - it appears her right knee is broken though ;)
And I'm weirded out by the cat ears and the tail.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
wmat said:
I like the facial expression. - it appears her right knee is broken though ;)
And I'm weirded out by the cat ears and the tail.
lol, knee is weird. Not even sure it's official art actually.

Color combo grabs my eye though.

mr stroke

DrLazy said:
I think that's more of a great game making a character by default. Like you say, he's horribly generic. After all, he may not be bald, but he's still pretty much a space marine.

and so is-
dlx-stormtrooper.jpg

while the Storm Troopers generic its still design brilliance IMO.

screw the Master Chief hate. IMO his design is brilliant, a while sure its nothing original, either is the hundreds of anime inspired themes that every Japanese dev uses over and over.

halo-2.jpg

(and in terms of "generic space marines" is there really any better than Master Chief?)

Some personal favorites:

Satoshi Urushihara
growlanserjp5_2.jpg

Mutsumi Inomata:
356563689_52ccf20782.jpg

hero-sword.jpg

This one isn't her design but it's pretty.

The guys flight plan uses for character designs. Don't know the names yet.
DragonShadowSpell-chara-helma_01.jpg

sn3-3.jpg

zoku88

pancakesandsex said:
Some personal favorites:

Satoshi Urushihara
You picked a guy to show of his work. Seriously? :lol

Btw, I think the Flight Plan person is Kouhaku Kuroboshi. 黒星紅白

Wiki said so, at least. And I've been to his site before and recognize the art.

Slavik81

EmCeeGramr said:
but he's got a half-tuck and a faux-hawk, the pinnacle of unique character design
As a defense, Nathan Drake was clearly designed to be generic. His character design achieves exactly what it sets out to do.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
As usual by page 2 this all degenerated into lets put any character from any game ever...

I really dont understand the Nomura hate, way to uderrate the guys work.

Strangely, one of my favorite Amano designs (that was updated for the DS version) is this one:

Kainds.jpg

I really love all of the details in Kain's armor, particularly the dragon helm.

dfyb

Banned
mr stroke said:
while the Storm Troopers generic its still design brilliance IMO.

(and in terms of "generic space marines" is there really any better than Master Chief?)
the stormtrooper has shapes that are legitimately inventive. masterchief is basically the doom marine with a paintball mask/motocross helmet on -- there's little inventive about his design.

Pimpbaa

Raging Spaniard said:
I really dont understand the Nomura hate, way to uderrate the guys work.

Because he puts the same damn face on every character (Gackt), both male and female.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
KevinCow said:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/71/DoK.jpg

A gorilla with a tie.

A GORILLA WITH A TIE.

Can't get any better than that.

I see your gorilla with a tie and I raise you...

414150-repede_large.jpg

A BLUE WOLF WITH A SCARRED EYE, CHAINS, AND A FUCKING PIPE

GhaleonEB

mr stroke said:
screw the Master Chief hate. IMO his design is brilliant, a while sure its nothing original, either is the hundreds of anime inspired themes that every Japanese dev uses over and over.

halo-2.jpg

And I maintain that there's a lot of nuance in the Chief that makes him as iconic as he is. There are a lot of generic space marines, made generic by not creating as distinctive a design.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
GeneralIroh said:
:lol :lol :lol
You chose the worst amano art. Amano is a great artist but I prefer Nomura.
I like it. It's beauty comes through in it's simplicity and influences in the ukiyo-e style.

dfyb

Banned
242828-jehuty_super.jpg

(hey, it was not only a mech suit - it was self-aware and could carry on conversation)

and those of you discounting killzone 2 need to realize that the helghast grunt is only one design, out of many. parts were surely inspired by jin roh, but killzone 2 sports some top tier design regardless.

vlcsnap-805493.png

vlcsnap-803964.png

killzone-concept-art-15.jpg

killzone2concept.jpg

Iksenpets

Banned
clearacell said:
No, it should be this

219xb3n.jpg

I can't find anything bad to say about this characters design...nothing to ridicule, nothing to complain about.

If we're going to pull from FF13, Lightning is much better.

%5Blarge%5D%5BAnimePaper%5Dscans_Final-Fantasy-XIII_CloudGer(0.71)__THISRES__141723.jpg

Also, I forgot one of my other favorites from this gen.

tgs2k7_drebin02.png

Drebin is awesome.

Forkball

Are we talking about individual characters or artists or games or what? I'm so confused. Great pictures though.

Anyways, I always enjoyed the character design in the Suikoden series, especially III. Not over the top, but still detailed with a mix of realism and fantasy.

s3-fred.jpg

s3-geddoe.jpg

s3-lilly.jpg

s3-luc2.jpg

s3-sharon.jpg

s3-watari.jpg

s3-ayame.jpg

s3-caesar.jpg

s3-hugo.jpg

Also I think the guy from The Last Remnant is pretty cool looking. A bit generic, but it's stylized generic, kind of like Ryu from Street Fighter.

The_Last_Remnant.jpg

I also like the art from the guy who does the SMT games. This picture always freaked me out:

cover.jpg

Such lifeless eyes.

Ugh, this thread is really scattershot.

Qualities of good character design:

Memorable. Are you really going to remember some random ninja or the boss from Gears of War 2 if you saw a quick picture of them before you play the game? No chance in hell.
Stands out from background so the player can always identify where they are. There is a fine line between standing out and having the character mix jarringly with the rest of the world (What's up Haze?).
Unique. Derivative characters conflict with the them being memorable. If it looks like every other god damn anime drawing out there it isn't unique.

I know these are opinions and all, but Nathan Drake? Seriously?

Personally I too am quite fond of Ubisoft's last few main characters. They might be total dicks, but they look cool while doing so regardless of their games' visual styles.

Pimpbaa

Iksenpets said:
If we're going to pull from FF13, Lightning is much better.

No, because the red headed chick actually looks somewhat different from Nomura's copy and paste design. Lightning is his most lazy design yet for a character (and the main character of the fucking game!).

My avatar.

Plus:

The Legend of Zelda series
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
Okami
Killzone 2 (and Killzone, I suppose)
Metal Gear Solid 1-4

I'll only post pics of those that have yet to be (to my knowledge) represented in this thread:

IcoAndYorda.jpg

shadow-of-the-colossus-20050419055232701.jpg

shadow-of-the-colossus-20051017033226242-000.jpg

shadow-of-the-colossus-ps2-025.jpg

majora_link5.jpg

volvagia.jpg

twinrova.jpg

_sheik.jpg

majora_monkey_thumb.jpg

majora_dekulink.jpg

majora_deku_family.jpg

majora_zoralink.jpg