• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazing character design

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Chowfahn said:
This thread's about character design, not art style. Is there any possible way you can argue that M. Bison has good character design?

Lightning Bolt belt buckle, bitch!!!

TheExodu5

Banned
Threi said:
oh before i forget:

kid.jpg

fargo.jpg

glenn.jpg

grobyc.jpg

guile.jpg

harle.jpg

karsh.jpg

korcha.jpg

lynx.jpg

nikki.jpg

viper.jpg

van.jpg

serge.jpg

*prays not to get hotlink-bombed*

Is this the same guy who did the Breath of Fire art? It looks extremely similar.

Blizzard

Banned
GeneralIroh said:
I like these a lot. Is this from the latest advance war game?

Yes, it's from Advance Wars: Days of Ruin. Quite a good game, and it has some humor and good character styles to go along with the story/strategy/whatnot. You can probably even find it for a decent price.

DarkSloth said:
For character design, nothing beats Guild Wars for me.
oh wow, it's been so long since I've played Guild Wars I forgot how awesome the art and design was. Not only the characters but just about all of the art looked absolutely amazing.

Cynar

Too many generic space marines, ugh @ gears and halo crap. Anyway, lots of good other stuff at least in this thread.

def sim

MickeyKnox said:
Masterchief's design is blatantly lifted from Roughnecks, the CG animated Starship Troopers show from the late '90s.

crew.jpg

nwtk1.jpg

hallway.jpg

The first master chief design was shown in 1999 and this show was aired in the same year. I'd say it's just a coincidence, what with both copying a bike helmet and all.

Anyway, I think Master Chief looks too simple to be considered great character design. Yeah, he's iconic and all that, but still, very basic design.

The character he is based on is pretty sweet though.

VicOnARealBadDay_1600.jpg

way more

ThaiGrocer said:

Dudes in suits fighting zombies are awesome. You can imagine them leaving work at 5:10 on a Friday afternoon and then having to put up more bullshit.

Jill_Valentine.jpg

180px-Leon_Kennedy_(RE2).jpg

I always thought those pointless shoulder pads were cool.

art1.jpg

The opening movies added to his bad-assness. As well as his sarcastic comments. Also, he was always fighting crazed religious cults.

fallout2_001.jpg

Fallout 2 Power Armor.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
donkey show said:
16.jpg

And pretty much anything else Shinkiro did...
Shinkiro didn't design any of these characters.

Character design =/= Character illustration

Rorschach

rance said:
The first master chief design was shown in 1999 and this show was aired in the same year. I'd say it's just a coincidence, what with both copying a bike helmet and all.
Bike helmets have been hot since '93!

790197229_l.jpg

It's MC showing off his mid-drift!

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
90 posts before someone posts anything from Earthworm Jim?

Fuck you, GAF. Fuck you.

Also huge rolleyes at all the incredibly incredibly generic JRPG shit in here. Good character design doesn't mean "Shit you like."

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I love the design of the little big planet Sackboy.

sackboy.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
mr stroke said:
of all time-
probably Tetsuya Nomura
love his style

Goddamn don't confuse Amano with that generic hack Nomura.

Get those damn gelled up hairstyles, belts, zippers, black leather and emotionless expressions out of my Final Fantasy!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
I really admire the artists at Lionhead. Their work on Fable and Fable II is among my favorite for making a distinctive, cozy game world.

Fable II:

fable_2_art_03.jpg

fable_2_art_07.jpg

How come it seems like none of this type of art made it into the actual game? Seriously the art on the front of the box is a bit misleading in my opinion. No one in the game resembles the concept art in the slightest and your actual character grows up to look like some hairless ape or one of those saturday morning cartoon superheroes with their massive jaws and chins.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The King Of Fighters and Fatal Fury series always had an amazing character design :
Geese Howard,Terry Bogard,R. Yamazaki, Shermie, Yashiro Nanakase, Rugal,Goenitz (Goering + Doenitz @_@ ), Iori Yagami tonz of them.

And of course Shinkawa san designed some of the best characters ever :D

In the Halo artbook they have a page or two covering the design of Master Chief. Initially he looked quite slender, but they decided against that look and made him look more like a tank.
I think it works rather well.

Whilst some companies are guilty of overusing bald space marines, there're a lot of generic anime characters floating around this thread too!

Haruspex

Banned
The cats from Killer7 and No More Heroes...

Also most of the characters from Baten Kaitos, or maybe that's just because they stand out in the homogenous JRPG crowd as being a little different. Hope there's a few Guilty Gear characters been mentioned in this thread too.

art001wh3.jpg

antiloop

Threi said:
oh before i forget:

*Chrono Chross pics*

*prays not to get hotlink-bombed*

I remember being really impressed the first time I played it. Loved everything about the design of world/characters. Especially Kid. :)

picrh6.jpg

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Chowfahn said:
I really hated every single character design in Soul Calibur 4. But that's just me!

1185415916SOTC06.jpg

Greatest horse design ever. Take that, Oblivion!
Wander was also pretty fucking awesome.
Yeah, SC4 char. design fucking sucks. And about agro and wander, you're right too, sir.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Slavik81 said:
As much as I love Phoenix Wright, I don't really like the design of his character, or really any of his friends, aside from Gumshoe and the prosecutors...
4jnchu.gif

Advance Wars Day of Ruin or whatever it's called has awful design.

Why does every female kid character these days need to be a goth loli? Especially in a post apocalyptic setting. It's stupid.

I miss the old art for Advance Wars, they were cute.

In terms of actual design, I am going to have to wack out my cock for Shinkawa.
Absolute, fucking, amazing designs.
fat_man.jpg

the-fury.jpg

MetalGearRexIV.jpg

Again, Ayami Kojima made some amazingly haunting gothic looking characters, and out of all the artists making gothic looking characters she does it the best using her traditional approach, by painting and adding incredible detail. They may not be practical considering you never see that detail in game, but it's one of the very few times people in general look forward to seeing her art before the actual game itself.
profile-kojima-art2b.jpg

Other games have amazing designs:
Metroid Prime
Shadow of the Colossus
Anything Amano touches.

I'm shocked that no one has mentioned Pokemon, the designs from the RBY and GSC era were sublime.

You don't get cooler than Lugia
lugia.png

zaidr

Zefah said:
How come it seems like none of this type of art made it into the actual game? Seriously the art on the front of the box is a bit misleading in my opinion. No one in the game resembles the concept art in the slightest and your actual character grows up to look like some hairless ape or one of those saturday morning cartoon superheroes with their massive jaws and chins.

Well, if you've been paying attention in this thread, apparently its not about in game character art, but concept art. Nobody seems to care that old school RPG's didn't look anything like their concept art...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Okay so we've seen the obvious ones like, a million times. Here are some others:

Etrian Odyssey's Adventurers:
meiqmini5-1.gif

Seto from FRAGILE:
seto.png

Ein from Riviera:
art-006.jpg

Ema Skye from Phoenix Wright:
big20ema.jpg

Zero from the Zero series:
megamanzero.jpg

And why the hell are we at 5 pages without:
majora_oni_link.jpg