• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazing character design

Ive seen only one post with him:
Super-Mario-Galaxy-1022.jpg

You fail me neogaf, you fucking fail me....

a.wd

Seriously one mario? You people....Any way in addition JET SET RADIO, and Mario,

Also Halo for pure iconic imagery, GOW for well, you know...that guy...

dabookerman said:
In this thread, we post our favourite characters.

regardless of the actual quality of their character design...

I'm guessing that was supposed to be inferred from your post, but I just thought I'd make it clear.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Pimpbaa said:
Because he puts the same damn face on every character (Gackt), both male and female.

Thats a ridiculous statement, look at 90 percent of anime (and that includes Amano's work). Facial structures barely change in plenty of Asian artstyles and character design is about much more than what the face looks like anyways (and dont bring the whole zippers and belts talk, its a weak ass argument)

Aselith

Raging Spaniard said:
Thats a ridiculous statement, look at 90 percent of anime (and that includes Amano's work). Facial structures barely change in plenty of Asian artstyles and character design is about much more than what the face looks like anyways (and dont bring the whole zippers and belts talk, its a weak ass argument)

We're talking about the ones that have good art though. You know the ones that DO draw different faces.

So many wrong answers, and yet so many right answers.

There are FAR too many game protagonists have been listed.

Mario? Really?

well designed protagonists are hard to find, the gold is usually in the enemies. But if I had to try and think of a well designed protagonist......maybe Kratos?

I mean

Altair = Monk (no design involved)
Master Chief = Guy in armour (no real design involved, sorry, I love Halo but let's be honest)
Mario = really?

A lot of JRPGs have well designed characters, but that's where it ends for the good guys.

Neiteio

Here's another Zelda boss design I like: Queen Gohma from the first dungeon of Ocarina of Time:

gohma.jpg

First of all, I think crustaceans are beautiful, and I get a real crabby vibe from this fella! Now check out the shoulders -- they're like dragon skulls, one layered upon the other. I also dig the eerie, iridescent color scheme and how it segues from warm to cool. Then there's the bulbous eye with the twin pupils, a hallmark of Zelda monster design. Rounding out the package is the massive and fully functional birth canal, a nice bit of muscle in a design that's almost entirely carapace.

I might be biased toward Queen Gohma because as the first OoT boss she's like an old friend, but I really do think she has good design.

Masked Man

I said wow
I think I will end up posting a lot of my favorite characters and whatnot, but I think that's because I'm inherently drawn to aesthetically interesting characters. (And I'm sorry for some inevitable repeats, but they need to be stated!)

Okami - Ushiwaka
okami_us.jpg

(Elegant and graceful, he embodies something magical that I can't quite explain. Props to Ammy herself, of course, too.)

MOTHER 3 - Masked Man
MaskedMan001.jpg

(Simple, yet effective. Yes, I am biased.)

MOTHER 3 - The Magypsies
Aeolia.png
Doria.png
Lydia.png
Phrygia.png
Mixolydia.png
Ionia.png

(Totally ridiculous and wonderful. In my opinion, they're some of the most hilarious and memorable characters in recent memory--which says a lot, considering that just about every character in MOTHER 3 is memorable in some way.)

KevinCow

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
Mario? Really?
Why not? It's a design that's simple, yet easily recognizable and very memorable and unique.

Considering that he was at one point more recognizable worldwide than Mickey Mouse, I don't see how you could possibly argue that his design is anything but great.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Aselith said:
We're talking about the ones that have good art though. You know the ones that DO draw different faces.

Bullshit.

Example, look at these designs from Amano, whos an amazing character designer

vhd-amano.jpg

ff6-terra.jpg

No discernible facial differences between Vampire Hunter D and Terra, but that doesnt matter since the design of the characters is so well done.

Nomura actually has a pretty varied style, look at his stuff ranging from FF VII to VIII, X, Kingdom Hearts and The World Ends With you. All those games feature different art styles starting from the character concept and throughout.

ff7-vincent.jpg

3186205ff10kimahri.jpg

(hey look! no zippers or shit! Of course this character isn't usually brought up because it makes your opinion invalid)

roxas.png

The-World-Ends-With-You.jpg

All those pieces have a very different look, within the same spectrum sure, but Nomura pays careful attention to the silhouettes, color design and keeps a close eye to whats fashionable in Japan, and hey, the man can draw backgrounds too:

kh2_nomura.jpg

So yeah, dislike the guy all you want, but hes by no means a bad artist.

Kimahri still has belts. His shoulder harness thing is composed entirely of belts.

Nomura's problem is that he makes everything unnecessarily complicated...as illustrated in that comic before.

Masked Man said:
Okami - Ushiwaka
(Elegant and graceful, he embodies something magical that I can't quite explain. Props to Ammy herself, of course, too.)

Waka is awesome. Not only is he Viewtiful Joe, but he has his own cyber-spaceship, I mean GODDAMN!

Death_Born said:
Kimahri still has belts. His shoulder harness thing is composed entirely of belts.

Nomura's problem is that he makes everything unnecessarily complicated...as illustrated in that comic before.

Those aren't belts, genius. They're straps. His armor is no more complicated than what actual roman soldiers and gladiators used.

Nomura has plenty of designs that aren't so complicated
selphie.jpg
but that's what the kids want lately, so that's what he gives them.

Neiteio

Ooo, Ushiwaka! Man, I need to boot the Wii back up and finish Okami. I beat Orochi once, but I heard I'm far from over.

And yes, Mario is great design and he definitely qualifies for this thread (or at least, what I had in mind when I made this thread). The shapes he's made of, his silhouette, his color scheme and iconic mustache and eyes and gloves and cap... He's sublime. Even if you weren't familiar with the character (in other words, even if you lived under a rock for the last 20 years), you'd still notice a quantum qualitative difference between Mario and other mascot wannabes like Ty (or whatever the heck that thing with the boomerang was named). Other characters try too hard and overreach. Mario, on the other hand, is confident in his design, resonating with just about everyone worldwide.

Forkball

I really like Nomura's designs. Yeah they can be overly complicated, but he does have a unique attention to detail and his characters never look boring or generic. Although I still wish he didn't put lipstick on Cecil in Dissidia.

Masked Man

I said wow
Fantastical said:

Just about to post that. :D

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations - Godot
godot-heh%20mug.gif
godot-chugs.gif
godot-damage.gif

(Mysterious, intimidating, and just plain awesome. And let's not forget his sexiness. It's undeniable.)

Neiteio

That Godot character from Phoenix Wright looks friggin' awesome. I haven't played any of the Phoenix Wright games, so I gotta ask: What the hell is Godot's profession, and do they ever explain what the visor is for?

Neiteio said:
That Godot character from Phoenix Wright looks friggin' awesome. I haven't played any of the Phoenix Wright games, so I gotta ask: What the hell is Godot's profession, and do they ever explain what the visor is for?

He's a prosecutor.

The story behind his visor and past are quite spoiler heavy though.

Neiteio said:
He's a prosecutor and the visor is there because
Godot is blind.

EDIT: Andrex, you might want to just link the second of your pics up there. Some of us haven't played TP yet and that pic is spoilerific.
:(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This may have been posted already, and if so I'm sorry.

bgkgkgkog2.jpg

44370.jpg

Masked Man

I said wow
Neiteio said:

He's the prosecutor of the third game in the series, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations. The visor is part of what is perhaps his most delicious secret. Then again, he's so shrouded in mystery that it's hard to decide which is the most delicious of his secrets. :lol You should play all the games in order, though, to truly appreciate how wonderful he is.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Andrex, you might want to just link the second of your pics up there. Some of us haven't played TP yet and that pic is spoilerific.
:(

I have no sympathy for those who haven't played one of the absolute best games this generation (that is not only available on a current-generation machine, but a previous-generation one as well) complaining about spoilers of the afformentioned game when it has been released for over two years.

But for the brevity of unabannity I will spoiler it.

Andrex said:
I have no sympathy for those who haven't played one of the absolute best games this generation (that is not only available on a current-generation machine, but a previous-generation one as well) complaining about spoilers of the afformentioned game when it has been released for over two years.

But for the brevity of unabannity I will spoiler it.
I missed two whole generations of gaming and have been working through WW and OoT before I attempt TP. I bought a Wii only a few months back and only just finished SMG last week. It's not nice to spoil things like that.

Momar

aka Ryder
I personally thought The Fury from MGS3 was pretty well designed. One of my favorite characters in recent history.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
viciouskillersquirrel said:
I missed two whole generations of gaming and have been working through WW and OoT before I attempt TP. I bought a Wii only a few months back and only just finished SMG last week. It's not nice to spoil things like that.

Well congratulations on beating SMG (how much have you beaten it? All
stars?)

It may not be nice, but c'mon, enough time has passed for these things.

But I'll tell you something, that doesn't come in until
the very very end, and doesn't effect anything at all really
. Although I may have ruined a brief moment towards the end by telling you that... Nevermind, just forget my posts in this thread ever existed. :p

I await your untinted views on the 3D Zelda series.

Andrex said:
Well congratulations on beating SMG (how much have you beaten it? All
stars?)

It may not be nice, but c'mon, enough time has passed for these things.

But I'll tell you something, that doesn't come in until
the very very end, and doesn't effect anything at all really
. Although I may have ruined a brief moment towards the end by telling you that... Nevermind, just forget my posts in this thread ever existed. :p

I await your untinted views on the 3D Zelda series.
I only got to 110 stars when I beat Bowser. I might go after the rest, but a fair chunk of them were the ridiculous comet challenges and purple coins :(

EDIT: Oh and that one hidden star in the
Dreadnought Galaxy where you have to blow up that junk. Grrr!!!!

Hereby redeeming this thread.

The Elite Beat Agents. Like the Men in Black, but with far sharper hair.
w018cg.jpg

Champloo-sensei. Captures the demonic teacher look perfectly.
o5z0b6.jpg

Zack and Wiki has some of the cutest, most unique and charming design in recent history. Even the enemies are lovable.
155jaeh.jpg

16c6lnp.jpg

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Pyrokai said:
You know, there was an appropriate amount of Zelda here, but nothing of Zelda herself:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/MewtwoGTZ/PrincessZeldaTP.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.freewebs.com/ganondorfs-domain/zww-zelda.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Pretty sure people have already posted Zelda's far far superior alter-ego, Tetra.

Nocebo

I really don't understand why the Left4Dead survivors are in this thread (amongst many other entries that don't make sense), they look like generic people (as they should) except for maybe Bill. I wouldn't exactly call them amazingly designed. Maybe people are confusing "realistic looking character models" with "amazing character design"?

GCX

grandjedi6 said:
Pretty sure people have already posted Zelda's far far superior alter-ego, Tetra.
There's also that other Zelda's alter-ego..

Super_Smash_Bros_Brawl_Sheik_01.jpg

Kinda suprised nobody (?) hasn't mentioned it.

Zifnab

dabookerman said:
In this thread, we post our favourite characters.

Too true. To each their own, but I really can't see how anyone could find generic, bald space marines to be "amazing character design."

Anyway, since no one has posted characters from the Disciples series, here are some from the upcoming Disciples III:

Holy Avenger
holy_avenger.jpg

Air Elemental
air_elemental.jpg

Bone Dragon
bone_dragon.jpg

Unicorn
kri08-01.jpg

Anti-Paladin
antipaladin.jpg

Demon Lord
demon_lord.jpg

Modeus
modeus.jpg

modeus-1.jpg

I really love the unique, dark style of these characters.

Masked Man said:
MOTHER 3 - The Magypsies
Aeolia.png
Doria.png
Lydia.png
Phrygia.png
Mixolydia.png
Ionia.png

(Totally ridiculous and wonderful. In my opinion, they're some of the most hilarious and memorable characters in recent memory--which says a lot, considering that just about every character in MOTHER 3 is memorable in some way.)

:D :D :D

These and every single character in psychonauts are at my top.

Zifnab said:
Too true. To each their own, but I really can't see how anyone could find generic, bald space marines to be "amazing character design."

bald space marine is just an archetype, within that archetype, there's a good design and a bad design. Marcus Fenix is a good 'bald space marine' design. just because it's bald space marine doesn't necessarily mean it's bad design.

Zifnab

I get your point, but I don't see how Marcus Fenix is an "amazing" design. Heck, you yourself say "good design." Too me, amazing design is something that jumps out at you; something that perhaps you would never have thought of yourself. "Damn, I would never have drawn or imagined X like that!"

If I asked any average artist to quickly draw me a bald space marine wearing exceptionally thick armor with no helmet, I bet most of them would come up with something looking very similar to Marcus. To me that indicates that the only amazing thing about the design is that it is amazingly average. So can you point out exactly what makes Marcus such an amazing design?

Top Bottom