• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazing Race Canada Season 2 |OT| This Time The Race Goes Outside Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

I was really turned off from Amazing Race US last season as I felt they changed the rules to make the father son team win. It has always been each member must do an equal number of tasks, but I think the son did 3 more than his father last race and they gave some bullshit answer for it in the end. That plus the change to Fridays means I'm giving this season a pass.
It hasn't always been this way but they did bend those rules clearly for Connor & Dave.
I still remember Zach dragging his Flo anchor across the globe during Amazing Race 3.
Dude singlehandedly won that season by virtue of completing 10 individual roadblocks (still an all-time record) to Flo's ONE.
She was right to give him her share of the race winnings at the end of the season.

TheYanger

God Flo and Zach, simultaneously the best team and the worst team (team is a strong word here). I mean, it was amazing to watch them week after week, if only because Zach is probably the single best Amazing Race player of all time. I think Colin and Christie are still the best team of all time, but Zach is a fucking beast.

Finally got around to watching the finale.

Very nice to see a memory challenge again. A lot easier than name that flower last Canada season.

It really was the hockey girls' season to lose and it looks like some bad luck and a pretty much flawless run by the guys this leg.

Also they had another After The Race special, that was pretty entertaining.

Cool to hear we're having another season next year.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A pretty dull finale for a fairly average season. I hope they get a bigger budget next year, or maybe they should just beg CBS to let them co-produce a US vs Canada season and just ride the CBS coattails. lol

I bet it will be as boring, so we could just use this one if everyone is too lazy. lol

The first episode was okay. I liked last season, though.

I'm not sure of who to cheer for, though. The only team I dislike right now is the one comprised of two gay brothers. Not because of their sexuality, because they're incredibly annoying.

The police officers are kind of cute, but no team stands out yet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh did it start this week?

I think the lack of any world travel kills the show for me. It only worked for China Rush, but that's because China is diverse enough for it to be interesting. Maybe if they went to the Atlantic provinces, but even then... you do a fishing challenge and maybe an Anne of Green Gables challenge and then you're out of ideas for the year.

Oh did it start this week?

I think the lack of any world travel kills the show for me. It only worked for China Rush, but that's because China is diverse enough for it to be interesting. Maybe if they went to the Atlantic provinces, but even then... you do a fishing challenge and maybe an Anne of Green Gables challenge and then you're out of ideas for the year.

They did world travel last year, I'm sure of it. Asia, I think.

The next episode of Season 3 sends them to South America, too.

Oh sweet new season. S2 was fun, Cormac and his hot Mom were awesome. A lot of these racers are on facebook and pretty talkative.

OK time to zone out until the end so I can binge the whole thing in one glorious day.

Oh sweet new season. S2 was fun, Cormac and his hot Mom were awesome. A lot of these racers are on facebook and pretty talkative.

OK time to zone out until the end so I can binge the whole thing in one glorious day.

I wasn't a huge fan of them. I cheered for the hockey players from start to finish, and not just because they were hot.

The UFC fighter co-hosted a the old UFC show on Sportsnet a few times, can't believe he failed so hard at the TSN challenge

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They did world travel last year, I'm sure of it. Asia, I think.

The next episode of Season 3 sends them to South America, too.
They went to whereever Air Canada flew. IT just looked cheap compared to the Australia version that was airing along side it.

The UFC fighter co-hosted a the old UFC show on Sportsnet a few times, can't believe he failed so hard at the TSN challenge

He looked familiar, but I'm not a UFC fan whatsoever.

I felt bad for him when he mentioned dyslexia, but then I realized that he chose to do it.

Saw the first episode, I don't hate anyone (yet) so that's a good start!

I like how the teams have a good amount of variety and it was interesting to see a broadcasting challenge for maybe the first time.

Looks like they are leaving Canada again!

UberTag

So there's a wrestling tag team racing this season who go by the names Nick & Matt and it's NOT the Young Bucks? Well, that's a let down.

Nic & Sabrina were easily the stars of the opening leg for me.
She's giving me Flo vibes already. I hope we get many more tantrums and breakdowns from her in the future. I want the 2nd coming of Zach & Flo.

UberTag

Wow, I think Hamilton and Michaelia set a land speed record for quickest ever burning of an Express Pass in Amazing Race history.
They literally had it in their possession for 2 1/2 minutes of airtime before using it.
That's like the polar opposite of Jessica & John in Amazing Race US 22 literally sitting on their Express Pass and getting eliminated without using it at all.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I understand being trans and not wanting to wear that costume, but it seems absurd that they didn't at least try the other roadblock.

But having the Express Pass as a thing you have to win ala the Fast Forward is a great move. I hope this was beta testing for the US version.

UberTag

It's ridiculous how much better Amazing Race Canada has gotten in terms of both casting and course design vs. the US.
That finish went literally right down to the wire. I was expecting the usual editing chicanery but it was legit that close between those final 3 teams.

Soccer player bails on soccer challenge lol

Yeah, that was pretty funny. I liked how the others all adopted the hop afterwards, too.

The soccer player was so cocky beforehand, too. It was hilarious.

The first couple episodes of this felt really amateurish, even in comparison to the first couple of seasons. And so far, it's been the worst of the three.

I'm upset the hot cops went home, too. I was hoping that the two design student brothers would've gone home, because they drive me nuts.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So many Canadian sponsors... it's so weird to see all this product integration.

At least they don't have to carry around a stupid gnome. lol

At this point, I'm amused by the blatant advertisements. Whatever helps this show stay alive.

Another lost passport claims another team. Shame that I liked them but then again I'm liking most of the teams so far.

UberTag

At this point, I'm amused by the blatant advertisements. Whatever helps this show stay alive.
This seems to be par for the course with the Canadian equivalents of most reality TV series. They're positively riddled with product placement and sponsorship agreements. Almost like they couldn't possibly exist without them.

Big Brother Canada, in particular, is notorious for this.

This seems to be par for the course with the Canadian equivalents of most reality TV series. They're positively riddled with product placement and sponsorship agreements. Almost like they couldn't possibly exist without them.

Big Brother Canada, in particular, is notorious for this.

In all honesty, I didn't mind them though.

It's pretty entertaining to have someone almost breakdown over drinking smoothies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jesus this episode was a complete fucking shit show... a task that creates an injury, and then the showdown thing didn't pan out because no one thought what would happen if there were teams that were bad at the first task. lol

But I guess it all didn't matter because of how it ended anyway... and I'll admit, it was a bit clever to manipulate the footage to make that ending a surprise.

Nick and Sabrina managed to be so bad and slow they basically skipped two tasks and still managed to arrive sixth.

I will admit the fake out at the end was still nicely done. I did think it was weird John kept saying you are the xth team to arrive. You got me producers.

UberTag

Jesus this episode was a complete fucking shit show... a task that creates an injury, and then the showdown thing didn't pan out because no one thought what would happen if there were teams that were bad at the first task. lol

But I guess it all didn't matter because of how it ended anyway... and I'll admit, it was a bit clever to manipulate the footage to make that ending a surprise.
Yeah, that was a complete mess of an episode. Nic & Sabrina literally got to skip two tasks on the leg because of technicalities and wound up finishing 6th.

I also hate it when they trot out the Non-Elimination / This Leg isn't Over swerve on legs with U-Turns. Completely devalues them and other teams effectively waste their one U-Turn a season on nothing unless they use it to win a leg (as Brian & Cynthia could have done but refused to).

I'm a little cheesed that Gino & Jesse are back in a groove. Don't like it when all-male jock teams without a personality dominate a race. If they're funny like the Afghanimals, sure. But these bland brothers? Not so much.

Loved seeing Brent & Sean power through both legs of the detour in stubborn refusal of burning their Express Pass (on what would have been a non-elimination leg). Sharp contrast from the record Express Pass burn from Hamilton & Michaelia back in Leg 2. Granted, they won a leg and a prize as a result but had they kept their own pass in reserve they'd have probably survived their missing passport scare last week and still be racing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think the U-turns have basically been set up like that for ages to make the race "fair". Even in the US version, it usually ends on a non-elim.

I guess having the new Faceoff mechanic happen in a non-eilm double leg also makes it fair too, so that even if a team drops to last place it doesn't kick them off.

But I don't know if it's something they should bring back... it's almost like the intersection gimmick where teams are forced to pair up with each other. The last place team drags down the second-to-last team by virtue of forcing the team to wait. If they do these things, they should find a way to guarantee that teams can make it to the task in good time.

But I don't know if it's something they should bring back... it's almost like the intersection gimmick where teams are forced to pair up with each other. The last place team drags down the second-to-last team by virtue of forcing the team to wait. If they do these things, they should find a way to guarantee that teams can make it to the task in good time.

I say impose a time limit of waiting for the next team. Sure that might ruin the whole point of the task but it's hard to predict if the team after you takes forever to build a sandcastle or if it's something even sillier like the teams are separated by a flight.

CDX

Is it just me, or does it seem people on the Canadian show opt to "take the penalty" vs completing a task WAY more often compared to the US and other versions of the show?

t-storm

Anecdotally speaking, it seems like the difficulty of the challenges in the Canadian version is way harder. Too much memorization/dancing/wtf. I mean, who knows how to build a teepee, really?

The US version is arguably just more straight up physical.

I'm a Canadian and I wouldn't apply to be on TAR: Canada. Way too grueling for crappier prizes too.

Parch

Taking the penalty seems to be a legit strategy when they realize they're gonna suck at it. Some of these tasks are hard. Choosing the right one is often the difference between winning and losing.

addik

I haven't caught up with the season. Last I watched was the second Latin American leg (in Argentina, right?), how has the season been (especially compared to Season 2)?

IMO, from what I saw from last season and this season, the legs tend to be me more challenging in the Canadian version. If some legs are easy, it's usually offset by how long it is and how many tasks they have to accomplish before they can proceed to the pitstop. I can see why some teams quit especially if they know that there are teams behind them and if they are so sure they cannot do it.

The leg design is something the Canadian version has a leg up over the American version really, despite the fact that they are most of the time the teams just stay in Canada and they barely get to travel to other countries (which is what I find most appealing about TAR, really).

Parch

The "race" is really just who can finish the daily tasks the quickest. When they're mostly all on the same flights anyway, there really isn't any race around the world.

t-storm

In the American version, I'm sure they would have at least given you instructions. Canadian version? NOTHING. Here's your sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom