• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon: 1 year subs to gaming mags for $5

Einbroch

Banned
Thanks for the deal! PC Gamer sub'd. I get all my console information here, but some details on upcoming MMOs are what I'm really looking for.

seady

Already have Game Informer and EGM subscribed, and I don't usually get single-party magazine subscription, but for $5 I want to jump on one of them.

Kind of leaning toward Nintendo Power for nostalgia. Is it a good choice? (The DVD with the Xbox one is tempting too)

Jayx77

Nice!

I'm in for the Playstation mag and Nintendo Power. Nice to always have something to read on the can. I remember Nintendo Power being a magazine full of ads last I read it and sometimes those ads masqueraded as previews/reviews. Is that still the case?

Surely the basic cost of materials and printing the magazines is more than that? How are the publishers (or Amazon) not losing money from this?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
OgTheClever said:
Surely the basic cost of materials and printing the magazines is more than that? How are the publishers (or Amazon) not losing money from this?

They will make some of it back through Ad revenue. The more subscribers there are, the more it cost to take out an Ad in the magazine. And then possibly, through subscription renewals.

vazel

Banned
OgTheClever said:
In my day slicks used to cost a quarter. Far more fancy than the comic and pulp rags which only cost a dime.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Tadale said:
I bit on NP. Is OXM worth it nowadays for the discs, or are they just demos that I can get on XBL?

Demos that you can usually get via XBL. Now, and then, they are able to snag an exclusive timed demo. They also have exclusive gamerpics/themes afaik.

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
Is there anyway to add multiple years at this price? I bought all four with auto-renewal. Will that renew them at this price or will that just renew at whatever the going rate is?

GMUNYIFan said:
Is there anyway to add multiple years at this price? I bought all four with auto-renewal. Will that renew them at this price or will that just renew at whatever the going rate is?

I want to know this as well...

~Kinggi~

Banned
GMUNYIFan said:
Its going to probably renew at the going rate of the times.

NIN90 said:
Wow gaming mag subs are 20$ in the US? they are abut 50-60 euro around here.

PC Gamer used to be $30, back in the '90s when it was still great, but the quality of gaming magazines in general declined as the internet rose, and the magazine suffered... I doubt it will ever be as great again as it was in the late '90s, sadly. I subscribed from early '97 to early '01, but stopped then because the magazine wasn't as good anymore, the CD wasn't as important with faster internet, and one CD was far too small for holding many demos. I told myself I'd re-subscribe if it improved again or at least switched over to DVD demodiscs, but they still haven't done that, sadly, making the disc more irrelevant than ever. Perhaps they can't afford to at the price they're charging, but still, it's sad. Today's PC Gamer is a shadow of its former self... the magazines are thin, not hundreds of pages thick as they once were, with much less content. They even dropped the columns a year or two ago!

I think that PCG does have DVDs with the newsstand version some of the time, but it's not an option for subscriptions or something. Way to support your more loyal customers.

... I resubscribed with this deal anyway (PCG and Nintendo Power), because it was so cheap, but I've read a few issues of it here and there over the years. It's alright, better than the nothing that is its competition now (it's essentially the only US PC gaming magazine left), but it used to be so much better...

But anyway, you get a whole lot more for your money with those European magazines, right? Some of them come with like a DVD or two of stuff with every issue, instead of a single CD, for instance?

Oh, as for Nintendo Power, I did subscribe for two years in the mid '90s, but mostly I didn't because my town's library subscribed to it (the only gaming mazine they subscribed to long term, and one they still get) so I'd just borrow it there. I haven't read it nearly as much in recent years, but the ones I have read still seem to be decent, not changing as much as I'd feared post-Future switch, so I won't mind having another subscription to it for sure. :)

OXM is an awful magazine. Just putting it out there. Their 'demo disc' is pure garbage, you almost never get anything exclusive (used to be you got some demos early, free premium themes, and some free ingame content like GRAW maps. Not any more.)

They do get some good exclusive previews every once in a blue moon, that's the only good thing.

Neuromancer said:
OXM is an awful magazine. Just putting it out there. Their 'demo disc' is pure garbage, you almost never get anything exclusive (used to be you got some demos early, free premium themes, and some free ingame content like GRAW maps. Not any more.)

They do get some good exclusive previews every once in a blue moon, that's the only good thing.

It's worth $5 for a year though.

Cday

Banned
Will get PSM. I already have a sub for Game Informer and more than 2 game mags a month seems like overkill.

totowhoa

Banned
GAF has hyped NP over the last several months with all these exclusives and whatnot... I'll take it. Not really interested in the other console mags. Good deal :D Haven't read an issue of NP since the N64 days... right around the time I finally got the net :p

MomoPufflet said:
I got Nintendo Power. Will be nice to have for 3DS pre-release stuff, I guess.

The after E3, Zelda, Metroid and 3DS stuff is well worth $5.
Especially considering how they've been getting some good exclusives lately.

entremet

Great deal! Too bad I'm not interested in any of the mags listed. I would've died for a similar deal for Retro Gamer or EDGE, but that will never happen.

Edit: Could pass up the deal. Jeez, now that I think about it, I haven't had a sub to NP since the N64 days.

zoku88 said:
Would, but I'll be changing addresses maybe twice next month. Don't even know what my final one will be...

Apparently the subscriptions don't start until mid-July at the earliest, so you should have plenty of time to tweak your address.

seady

Neuromancer said:

Thanks. I was debating whether I should get it. I knew the magazine is crap, but the disc is getting in to me. Now I can just forget about it.

Broseybrose

Funny, i was at the bookstore today and picked up the new EGM, Gamepro, and OPM (never read OPM) - these are the first gaming mags ive bought since i subscribed to GFW.

Im halfway through the new EGM and it really is a lot better than i remember it being. And now I have scripts for OPM and PC Gamer. Thanks for posting the deal, OP.

I do wish Amazon was offering EGM and Gamepro, but those arent Future rags.

Curufinwe

I'm going to get a new sub to PC Gamer once I move next month. I let it lapse back in April.

My Edge subscription is one of the dozens of addresses I need to change...sigh.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow, what a deal. I placed an order.
Even in this age of metacritics and blogs and Neogafs, I still enjoy reading a gaming mag every now and, like when I'm in bed or having a BM.
I have DS but no Wii so skipped the Nintendo mag, I have a PS3 but no PSP so I skipped the Playstation mag so I ended up going with the 360 since at least it's all relevant to the systems I own. I don't have much to lose @ 5 bucks either way, thanks OP>

Also, just for fun I changed my name on the shipping address to "Dickbutt".

smurfx

get some go again
alright i got a sub for nintendo power. i don't want the magazines at all but my nephews will definitely want them.

seady

Dreohboy said:
Yup. The first issues we get should cover E3 reviews. Great deal.

I grabbed OPM and PC Gamer.

It says my first issue of NP will arrive July 13 - August 10. It sounds a little bit far from the E3 dates....

Got... OXM+disc, N. Power, crappy PS mag.

Aaaand they applied towards free super saver shipping $25+, so I went ahead and got $10.99 Glory of Heracles that comes with a $10 video game credit (and $5 MP3 credit if you haven't already done that offer)

Mii

Banned
Gonna pick up the NP subscription.

The Men's Interest section caught my eye though. What do you all recommend, Esquire or GQ, or something else?

As long as you have an American shipping address for now, you order it and then once the order gets processed, contact the magazine company and change your address to where ever you live.

This works for Canada. Not sure about the rest of the world.

DryvBy

Lothars said:
It's dissapointing it's US only but that's a great deal.

America rules. :p

I got the PC Gamer magazine. I quit reading for a while because it seemed like all they were doing was defending any measures a company takes if it meant the game was somewhat good. The last issue I read was an article saying, "Who cares that Valve promised you something [free weapons/maps DLC for a long time, before L4D2 was announced] and didn't do it!". That kind of stupidity in the gaming community burns me up.

That, and they said Crysis wasn't linear in their review. (...which it was very much so...)

I was thinking about why Future would do this. Could it be that now that they have competition with real writing and column/feature based material in Gamepro and the new EGM that they are trying to run their competitors out of business by soaking up all the advertising?

If so, shitty move. I subscribed to these, but I also subscribe to EGM (and really need to subscribe to Gamepro). I hope other people don't use these as a substitute for subscribing to the good gaming magazines (and yes, there are some now). We finally have mature, interesting gaming magazines that have escaped the empty preview hype/review cycle and try to focus on more thought provoking timeless articles rather than up to the minute news. Twenty bucks a year for one of these good magazines provides alot more good reading than all four of these Future magazines combined.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
GK86 said:
They will make some of it back through Ad revenue. The more subscribers there are, the more it cost to take out an Ad in the magazine. And then possibly, through subscription renewals.

Not some, ALL. I remember when I let my Maxim sub expire and they continued to send it to me for 3 years. The publishers can't let their physical magazines dip below a certain amount or the advertisers will pay less. A sale like this one is simply to drive up the number of subscribers, not make money. The five bucks is to ensure that the magazines are sold to people who will actually read them.

Preble

Alright so I've never used Amazon before. I ordered the Nintendo Power and unless "Quanity" is says 1. Does that mean I get one issue or one year subscription?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

noisome07

Banned
Preble said:
Alright so I've never used Amazon before. I ordered the Nintendo Power and unless "Quanity" is says 1. Does that mean I get one issue or one year subscription?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

1 order of a 1 year subscription.

Top Bottom