• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon: 1 year subs to gaming mags for $5

JohngPR

Picked up Nintendo Power for my son with this deal. He was excited to be getting a magazine with his name on it. Thanks! :)

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
I was looking into subscribing to Nintendo Power an hour ago, and this thread arises. Just subscribed.

Also got OPM and OXM. I haven't read OXM since the first 12 issues.

Thats $5 an issue right? Surely it can't be viable to sell 12/13 mags and ship them out for a fiver? How much of a loss are they suffering with this? Dunno about American mags, but in the UK you're looking at £5 for one issue.

Oh, one day only. I was gonna say, that's just nuts.

I hope Amazon UK does something similar. I'd sub to NGamer for a fiver =0

Android18a said:
Thats $5 an issue right? Surely it can't be viable to sell 12/13 mags and ship them out for a fiver? How much of a loss are they suffering with this? Dunno about American mags, but in the UK you're looking at £5 for one issue.

Most of these magazines make money by the ads they get to print in there. So any money you pay for it is just a bonus.

Oh right, yeah. Its a few years since I saw an American games mag, but the issues of EGM I got a few years back seemed like 20% ads.

Auto-renewal: You won't miss an issue; we will renew your subscription at the lowest price available on Amazon.com.

You'll pay whatever the price is this time next year (will be much more than $5). This is why I picked the non-renewal option.

thewesker said:
You'll pay whatever the price is this time next year (will be much more than $5). This is why I picked the non-renewal option.

Ah, okay. I suppose it makes sense. ;p

Well, it sounds like they'll contact you well before renewing, so I'm not too worried about it. Really I was just looking for an excuse to subscribe to a couple of these for good anyways, this'll do...

Jeels

Nabbed OPM and NP. Haven't had a gaming subscription since Game Informer and Nintendo Power like three years ago. Will feel good.

newsguy

Shit, I don't care about OPM or OXM but for $5 I'll buy both.

EDIT: got suckered into Wired for a year @ $10 too.

got pc gamer and 2 yr popular mechanics...seems like it works for canada if you use a us address to signup and change to a canadian one once its approved...

Josh7289

I just emailed Amazon:

Hello,

Yes, since you ordered this subscriptions on auto-renewal, it will automatically renewed at the price of $5.00.

An automatic renewal subscription is a fixed-term subscription that Amazon.com will renew on your behalf at the end of each term until you cancel. This gives you the benefit of not missing an issue of your favorite magazine and avoiding renewal notices and telemarketing calls.

Before your subscription expires, we'll notify you that your subscription is about to be renewed, and you may change your address or your credit card, or you may cancel before the order is placed.

Outside of the 14-day period, you may also contact Amazon customer service at any time to cancel just the automatic renewal service and still receive the remaining issues in your term. You may also contact the publisher to cancel the entire subscription (including the automatic renewal) and receive a pro-rated refund.

For more information please visit our help pages:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?ie=UTF8&nodeId=602292

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

mrwilt

Thanks OP! I'm in for 3 - xbox, opm and np. Auto-renewal too. First issues should show up between July 16 and August 13. I would imagine those will be the E3 issues?

vazel

Banned
Josh7289 said:
I just emailed Amazon:
Unbelievable. I'm not sure I believe it but we'll see. It says they'll send an email with details about the renewal before it happens so if it's not $5 it'll be easy to just cancel. Placing my sub for Nintendo Power.

19Kilo

Well, the help page that was linked to in the email says: "The price on the renewal will be the lowest available rate on Amazon at the time the magazine is renewed."

Kinda contradictory, but I think I'll try the auto-renew and review the price in a year.

Can't you just add a year on to your magazine subs for $5 after they've been processed? I'm looking my subscription manager and it has the renew for $5 and the auto-renew options right there.

Josh7289

19Kilo said:
Well, the help page that was linked to in the email says: "The price on the renewal will be the lowest available rate on Amazon at the time the magazine is renewed."

Kinda contradictory, but I think I'll try the auto-renew and review the price in a year.
Yeah, that's true. Well, we can just cancel it a year from now if it's not going to be $5. As vazel said, they'll email us before they charge for the auto-renewal.

Bumping this since I bought this when I saw the thread and got my first OPM yesterday so if you were a part of this, you should be getting your mags super soon if you haven't already. Still don't have my Xbox mag yet though.

DMeisterJ

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Bumping this since I bought this when I saw the thread and got my first OPM yesterday so if you were a part of this, you should be getting your mags super soon if you haven't already. Still don't have my Xbox mag yet though.

Got mine yesterday too... Forgot to bump this thread.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
OldJadedGamer said:

Ordered OXM nothing yet :(.

vazel

Banned
I'm already at my second Nintendo Power. Don't see why some of you are disappointed. Of course gaming magazines are going to be fluff you already knew about in this internet age. Reason I got Nintendo Power is because I never read up on Nintendo stuff online so what I read in it is new to me.

bathala

Banned
got my mags to. Playstation, PC gamer, and Nintendo.

still waiting for Xbox mag.

WTF, eco-disc? these r disc that came with mags now?

Kaldea

I subscribed to all four and I've gotten one of each in the mail so far. I kind of miss getting magazines in the mail even if they are kind of pointless when you have internet.

And wow, I didn't think the $5 renewal thing was right. :lol

darthbob

OXM magazines should come within the week, or next.

Traditionally, mine have ALWAYS come in the middle of the month.

Josh7289

Oh so by the way, on Amazon's Magazine Subscription Manager, it says for all my subscriptions:

This subscription will be renewed on March 31, 2011, at the lowest available price on Amazon.com
So it seems it won't be $5, unless they start another sale at that time.

Got my NP and Playstation Magazine a few weeks ago. To be honest I forgot I even ordered them, and all of a sudden there they were. Pretty good magazines. I am especially digging all the artwork in the Dragon Quest IX article in NP. Really glad I caught this steal of a deal.

Top Bottom