• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD: PlayStation 4 supports hUMA, Xbox One does not

driver116

These consoles use Jaguar CPUs and GCN GPUs. Jaguar + GCN APUs (Temash, Kaveri, Kyoto) don't have hUMA.

HUMA is a feature that will debut on PC in 2014 (Kaveri). So, my guess is that Sony paid AMD to integrate this feature into PS4 while Microsoft didn't.

That Cerny™ difference.
Yes, I'm using ™ a lot lately :(

strata8

They are not only talking about GPGPU but apparently also about textures.

Referring the ability to store textures larger than can fit into VRAM using the paged memory that hUMA enables, but this can also be achieved using tiled resources in DX11.2.

Killzone: SF (those latest mp screens/vid) does look more impressive visually than anything I've seen on XB1. But could be more to do with GG's technical wizardry.

DieH@rd

Banned
I always belived PS4 will have hUMA. It was created too soon to take advantage from stacked chips and crazy bandwiths, but hUMA was something AMD wanted to deploy into public for a loooong time.

Referring the ability to store textures larger than can fit into VRAM using the paged memory that hUMA enables, but this can also be achieved using tiled resources in DX11.2.

hUMA is not used only for texturing. Its for everything.

Yep. PS3 was more powerful and nobody but 1st party took advantage. I hope we'll see some big differences in performance with open world games, racing games, etc ... ones that really benefit from having a more powerful system , but with games parity on the systems regarding developers I'm not hopeful.

the ps3 was hilariously more complicated to program than the 360. That's no longer true. both are now on equal footing re: programming complexity- or rather they were. ESRAM meant the xbone was slightly more complicated than the ps4. the ps4 being the only one of the two that takes advantage of hUMA means programming for it becomes even easier, since it eliminates bottlenecks.

Epsilon

Banned
I think MS should scrap the Xbox one and launch next year with proper specs, they're being vastly outperformed in every aspect by Sony hardware wise.

Abounder

Banned
I'm a hardware newbie but this is one of the reasons that makes me want to wait before upgrading my PC. I am intrigued by both AMD's APU's and the deals they've worked with software companies (both gaming and non).

nampad

Even AMD is picking sides now. Makes sense as they are pushing hUMA themselves.

First GDDR5, now hUMA. Modern times bits and blast processing.

Interesting, MS was part of a group pushing for hUMA if I recall correctly. Wonder why they didn't push for that.

I also thought the Bone GPU had direct access to RAM if it wanted, thus hUMA would still be useful.

From the vgleaks diagrams from what i remember the gpu can only access the Esram.
For the rest it looks like hUma but its amd so not sure how much will be just marketing stuff for pushing their APU.

I have Ooma will that help?

ooma.jpg

~~Hasan~~

let me see the difference in games. because right now, aside from killzone. i am not seeing anything that makes me wow on ps4.

its probably the only game that is very impressive to me when it comes to FPS.

i can't comment on Second son because i didn;t see any game like that on xbox 1 to compare.

Alej

Banned
Killzone SF is currently the graphical king. I can't believe how good the MP looks

The graphical king on consoles or every platforms?

What i see is hUMA will bring performance with some rendering techniques that can't be touched by PCs brute forcing right now, and it's why it make PS4 a "a generation ahead of high end PC" in terms of architecture right now (and until 2014), am i right?

alexandros coming in 3... 2... 1...

hUMA is not used only for texturing. Its for everything.

What do you mean, everything? It can be useful for GPGPU stuff and the previously mentioned texture issue. But other than that..?
Generally, it will not automatically speed up things ported over from non-hUMA platforms. So in the end it might not be an advantage for most of the multiplatform releases.

strata8

From the vgleaks diagrams from what i remember the gpu can only access the Esram.
For the rest it looks like hUma but its amd so not sure how much will be just marketing stuff for pushing their APU.

eSRAM can only be accessed by the GPU.
Main RAM can be accessed by both the CPU and GPU.

SiRatul

Aren't both MS and Sony costumers of AMD. Weird to make one of them look bad.

It could be a way to make their new architecture more appealing to the market. After all AMD already stated that they will be marketing an APU that is based on a modified PS4 chip. They can't exactly sell the ESRAM based architecture since it's too specialzed.

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm a hardware newbie but this is one of the reasons that makes me want to wait before upgrading my PC. I am intrigued by both AMD's APU's and the deals they've worked with software companies (both gaming and non).

AMD APU's will not get highpowered anytime soon, for now they are aimed at lower/mid market and smaller PCs.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
MS is targetting a mainstream audience, so this new proof of PS4 vast graphical superiority won't mean much. Still it will be good to be a PS4 owner, Sony engineered this console oh so well.

The gap between PS4 and xbox one is becoming more and more obvious by the day.

can't wait to see what developers start doing with the hardware a year from now. Hopefully PS4 sells well enough that exclusive titles make sense again.

Damian.

Banned
...have you actually seen the games? There are differences in favour of PS4 but there is not a Dreamcast to Xbox type power discrepancy here.

Each passing day it looks more and more like this will be the case. I would love to be wrong as we need healthy competition.

Toski

They don't care. They said so themselves they purposesly didn't target the highest performance

Their console was built for a different business plan. With the amount of stuff they've backtracked/reversed on, postponing the Xbox One launch definitely has/had to be on the table. Higher cost for lower performance isn't a good look.

JaggedSac

Nah man, it can access both, at least according to vgleaks:

http://www.vgleaks.com/durango-gpu-2/2/

Virtual Addressing

All GPU memory accesses on Durango use virtual addresses, and therefore pass through a translation table before being resolved to physical addresses. This layer of indirection solves the problem of resource memory fragmentation in hardware—a single resource can now occupy several noncontiguous pages of physical memory without penalty.

Virtual addresses can target pages in main RAM or ESRAM

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The problem is MS giving advantages to Sony. PS4 already has a raw numbers advantage, adding architectural advantages will further the gap.
I didn't say otherwise; I said that the gap is not close to Xbox vs Dreamcast.

To put my point another way, the Xbox had around 7 GFLOPS of computing power, the Dreamcast 1.5 GFLOPS. If you think that hUMA will turn the 50% computational improvement of the PS4 over the Xbone into a ~450% improvement, you're probably buying into the same 'secret sauce' wet dreams that some of our Xbox system warriors seem to believe in.

And again; look at the games. Look at Driveclub vs Forza 5. Driveclub clearly looks better even at a casual glance but the gap is not huge. As a reminder, even of the gap between Xbox and PS2, watch this, then tell me: is the gap between Driveclub and Forza this large? Does the gap between Driveclub and Forza give us good reason to believe the gap will ever be this large? I think the answer has to be a pretty well unqualified 'no'.

MS is targetting a mainstream audience, so this new proof of PS4 vast graphical superiority won't mean much. Still it will be good to be a PS4 owner, Sony engineered this console oh so well.

That's what I'm thinking. And on top of that, wasn't the PS3 more powerful than the 360? But most multi platform games were developed on the 360 and ported to PS3, right? So at the end of the day rarely did a PS3 multi platform game look better than the 360 version. In fact, a lot of times I believe the 360 version looked better!!

If the Xbox One gets out to a decent lead I'm sure that will be the lead platform for many third parties and thus you will not see much of a difference in multi platform games. First party games may be a different story, but there are only a handful of first party games on the PS3 that looked better than anything on the 360.

dvize

Banned

^ This. Sony has always been a technology company (Betamax, bluray, etc.) but its always about adoption rate, which relies heavily on content. It may not go as we expect this next gen if Microsoft continues to money hat every DLC release and content providers still see more money in the Xbox Live marketplace. BTW, I am not biased, I will be getting a PS4 because I know that's the only way I can play crazy Japanese imports.

Valentus

Can someone of TechGAF explain what is the true advantage of this technology?

what is the difference between hUMA and normal Unified memory? and how this impact in PS4 and X1 architecture?

At this point i think some here would probably commit suicide if they couldnt go another day without dick waving. :) But the games on both machines tell a different story. Theres no huge jump from one to the other. Both machines look like they could easily pull off the same visuals should their exclusives ever trade places.
It seems that just like Microsoft, you have no sense of Huma...
I'm so, so sorry for this terrible pun...

Don't worry guys, the Xbox has cloud processing that will make AI 600% better ;)

But in all seriousness, I don't think it will matter much. Most games will look and feel very similar on both platforms and only a handful or two of titles will be able to take full advantage of whatever slight differences there are.

In a few ways the Playstation 3 was a technically superior console. Did that get them anywhere? Besides the Uncharteds, Last of Us, Killzone... were there really that many games that took full advantage of the hardware?

It's not irrelevant to understand how consoles work and their development benefits, if you are a developer, but for consumers it won't matter much. All that will matter is what games end up in the shelves and how good of a product the company provides.

Top Bottom