• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD: PlayStation 4 supports hUMA, Xbox One does not

Biker19

Banned
One line of code in Windows could, theoretically, break AMD compatibility. Theoretically. That would actually kill AMD. It's not likely to happen, but it's possible.

If Microsoft actually does this, then I hope that they go down real hard.

xk0sm0sx

Damn the memory situation is like completely opposite from the PS3's situation, where it was extremely difficult to manage due to having to distribute between all the SPUs.

Damn the memory situation is like completely opposite from the PS3's situation, where it was extremely difficult to manage due to having to distribute between all the SPUs.

If I am understanding this at all, you're spot on.

If I am not, you're dead wrong.

That's my two cents. Now can we wait for the damn consoles to come out before deciding which one is more powerful?

Xbox1 obv cannot handle those sweet Crysis 3 relections, refractions, and caustics. (60fps for pro browsers)
ir84nqPJk3BzO.gif

Sad day, cryengine has such potential

that lighting looks totally wrong?

Piggus

If I am understanding this at all, you're spot on.

If I am not, you're dead wrong.

That's my two cents. Now can we wait for the damn consoles to come out before deciding which one is more powerful?

We don't need to wait for them to come out. We already know which one is more powerful.

StevieP

Banned
Battlefield has been played on PS4:

Every publicly made video of BF4 has been PC footage. All footage seen by us has been just that. With PCs that are far, far more powerful than either console. PS4 controllers can be connected to high end PCs as well, to "fool" the person thinking they're playing on a PS4 (as Ubisoft did all E3 with all of their titles for example). I'm not saying that's what that particular journalist ran into, but I am saying that all public showings of BF4 have been on extremely powerful PCs.

So now Level 1 AMD support guys have access to heavily NDA protected documents about PS4 tech ... it makes sense to me ... and of course they can answer any question about that tech
A wild lherre appears!

This thread looks to be heating up!

And he's gone again...

Oh well. Good to see you're alive and lurking, lherre!

IN&OUT

Banned
Every publicly made video of BF4 has been PC footage. All footage seen by us has been just that. With PCs that are far, far more powerful than either console. PS4 controllers can be connected to high end PCs as well, to "fool" the person thinking they're playing on a PS4 (as Ubisoft did all E3 with all of their titles for example). I'm not saying that's what that particular journalist ran into, but I am saying that all public showings of BF4 have been on extremely powerful PCs.

what makes you sure about this? serious question

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
That is some horrible water... wow!

I think you're just jelly!

Oh, wait. My mistake. It's the water. Sweet, sweet Ryseberry jelly.

Kidding aside, this is one game that has looked worse and worse since the initial unveiling. I have to admit that the multilayer looks fun to play though, but I was expecting more from a AAA flagship property.

StevieP

Banned
what makes you sure about this? serious question

Here are what the Battlefield 4 PCs (for E3/press events/etc) are made of, of which you can certainly connect an Xbox One or PS4 controller with special drivers given to devs (for example, the Division/Watch Dogs are examples using the PS4 controller and most of Microsoft's E3 showings were on PCs with Xbox One controllers):
battlefield-4-amd-pc.jpg

battlefield-4-pc.jpg

Those are 2 7990s in Crossfire, along with a high end 8-core AMD CPU. That isn't a PS4. It is orders of magnitude more powerful. This is what all of BF4 has been seen with afaik. That's why it always has the highest level of AA/AF/Post Processing in every piece of footage that you've seen.

Is this something you could even assign a number to, as in "extensive use of hUMA by a skilled development team could deliver x% performance increase vs. the same game/devs without hUMA"?

I don't even care about the console war at this point, I'm just wondering what it means for the console I'm dropping 400 frogs on.

QaaQer

Is this something you could even assign a number to, as in "extensive use of hUMA by a skilled development team could deliver x% performance increase vs. the same game/devs without hUMA"?

I don't even care about the console war at this point, I'm just wondering what it means for the console I'm dropping 400 frogs on.

I think the more interesting question is what this might mean for gameplay possibilities if the gpu and cpu can work on the same data. I really don't care a lot about 16X AA vs 8X or whatever.

Skeff

Can someone explain to me in terms a child can understand what these means for Naughty Dog games?

hUMA allows for certain unique and higher performing ways to do some processes that are common in games, Naughty Dog work exclusively with Sony so they will develop/use these "better" ways to do things to make even better games as they don't need to worry about non hUMA implementations. Basically it will allow Naughty Dogs games to be even better, because not only is the PS4 more powerful, it is more "efficient".

Some of the things I typed aren't exactly right but I believe this is a good interpretation for non-tech people to understand the implications of this. efficient was commenting on not needing to copy data from one memory location to another

You really think EA is trying to fool Sony people with their behind doors demos?

child, please.

Yes .

They are trying to sell their game to the public and show the game off as best as it can.
This is why BF4 along with most "next gen" games are being ran in the background using high end pcs.

Famassu

But wouldn't it make sense for developers to develop games for the weaker hardware? If the architectures are identical it should be easy to port games, right? So I would imagine they would develop for the xbone and port. So for third party games at least I don't imagine seeing significant improvements on the ps4 version. With development costs the way they are I can't see developers spending significantly more time on the ps4 version to improve visuals.
No. Because PC, PS4 and Xbone are so similar, they can make everything for the strongest platform and quite easily downport from there.

BigJoeGrizzly

Neo Member
So when will we actually SEE all these graphical advantages the PS4 has? I keep hearing that the console is noticeably more powerful, and yet when looking at the games, not ONE has looked graphically impossible to mimic on the competitor's console. "Just wait a couple years and the differences will show themselves." If the graphical hardware differences are so drastic, why is it taking several years to finally see differences? I feel like Sony has the best engineered (and more powerful) console, but for some reason they simply REFUSE to show it. SHOW me why you have the most powerful console Sony. SHOW me that your console is capable of things the competition can only dream of doing.

MercuryLS

Banned
So when will we actually SEE all these graphical advantages the PS4 has? I keep hearing that the console is noticeably more powerful, and yet when looking at the games, not ONE has looked graphically impossible to mimic on the competitor's console. "Just wait a couple years and the differences will show themselves." If the graphical hardware differences are so drastic, why is it taking several years to finally see differences? I feel like Sony has the best engineered (and more powerful) console, but for some reason they simply REFUSE to show it. SHOW me why you have the most powerful console Sony. SHOW me that your console is capable of things the competition can only dream of doing.

We haven't seen Naughty Dog's or SSM's games yet.

Dude.

The console isn't even out yet. The SDK is probably only being finalized.

IN&OUT

Banned

PS4 has a clear advantage over X1 specs wise, lets just wait for the games to roll out (Multiplat to make comparison easier) then we can talk.

Top Bottom