• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's next-gen GPU special "product showcase" to be webcast live on Sep 25

AMD has to make a really compelling case for me to consider them. Winning performance/price is not enough; for me, my Nvidia cards just 'work' as I expect them too.

Nothing has changed my mind yet.

artist

Banned
Propietary Standards by anyone in PC gaming haven't gained traction. Even Physx, and Nvidia pays developers to add that
I'd call PhysX a survivor and CUDA a success, so no I dont think proprietary standards have not gained traction.

edit: And despite what Roy Taylor thinks, I think CUDA will last well into the future.

FACE

Banned
Physx & CUDA among others.

Keep in mind that Mantle isnt AMD's tech, it's EA. So they might use it with their other engines and games.

I think Mantle is AMD's:

2013-09-25_17-34-37d4szq.jpg

Mrbob

I missed the section on the True Audio, how does it work? I hook my PC up to my TV via my Yamaha receiver so I get 5.1. Does this augment a true home theater system or is it designed only for stereo headphones?

artist

Banned
I missed the section on the True Audio, how does it work? I hook my PC up to my TV via my Yamaha receiver so I get 5.1. Does this augment a true home theater system or is it designed only for stereo headphones?
There was a shit ton of info in that audio segment and the presenter was tossing terms left, right and center but I think for 5.1 and higher setups you'll get 24 channel mapping.

sirap

I'd call PhysX a survivor and CUDA a success, so no I dont think proprietary standards have not gained traction.

edit: And despite what Roy Taylor thinks, I think CUDA will last well into the future.

CUDA is the only thing keeping me from selling my Titans and moving on to AMD (if the 290x is indeed faster)

So many rendering applications use it, and OpenCL support is really lacking right now.

http://www.4-traders.com/ADVANCED-MICRO-DEVICES-I-11634/news/Advanced-Micro-Devices-Inc--Raptr-and-AMD-Partner-to-Create-AMD-Gaming-Evolved-App-the-Ultimate-17297525/ said:
Raptr and AMD (NYSE: AMD) today unveiled the AMD Gaming Evolved App Powered by Raptr, which was designed to make PC gaming as simple to use as consoles. The App will enable AMD users to get the most out of their gaming experience by suggesting customized optimal game settings for their rigs, earn real rewards just for playing games, and have instant access to in-game tools such as broadcasting live video via Twitch, taking screenshots, web browsing, and chat.
This sounds like Sony and Microsoft Console Social Networking features for gamers on the PC.

True audio 24 channel sound sound like the UltraHD audio standard. Preparing for 4K TV ?

22.2 or Hamasaki 22.2 (named after Kimio Hamasaki, a senior research engineer at NHK Science & Technology Research Laboratories in Japan) is the surround sound component of Super Hi-Vision (a new television standard with 16 times the pixel resolution of HDTV). It has been developed by NHK Science & Technical Research Laboratories. It uses 24 speakers (including two subwoofers) arranged in three layers.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how does the raptr optimisation thing work? I get the benchmark/crowdsourced settings thing, but how does it actually change the settings in my game - or does it just tell me what I need to change them to? And hopefully they consider in-game vs global driver level settings and how they interact.

Not exactly the same as nvidias automatic optimisations, but does sound useful to someone like me that doesn't want to fiddle too much with settings.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
AMD has to make a really compelling case for me to consider them. Winning performance/price is not enough; for me, my Nvidia cards just 'work' as I expect them too.

Nothing has changed my mind yet.

...never settle bundle? 4 free games. fuck it buy a geforce i guess sounds like you have no luck with amd ones.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Great news for PC gaming. Now it Valve can team up so we could have a steam box with linux and Mantle then we'd have a winner. A fast highly optimised extendable gaming platform.

I read today on a Finnish website that the pre-orders for the highest end card start Oct 3rd and come with a free Battlefield 4. That's a $60 price difference for quite a lot of PC gamers (like me).

yup

It's super unfortunate that AMD isn't giving us more information on this so we can make preparations.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If GCN cards run better with Mantle than Nvidia cards then they will not only ignore it, but probably counter it with their own Nvidia-centric solution. Same goes for Intel.

More like great news for AMD fans. PC gaming is a complete chaos since Monday. Microsoft, Valve, Nvidia, Intel and AMD will not give up on their market shares so easily.

I'm hoping nVidia will be part of this effort.

Raistlin

What I'm most curious about is whether ATI owning the console race this gen will actually be leveraged to making competitive drivers for their PC cards.

poisonelf

You know what's funny? If someone asked me what hardware to buy for a next-gen PC then I would have to answer "Sorry mate, I don't know." because I have no idea whats going on at the moment. Will someone who spends 1000€ on a Titan be fucked in future EA games? Will he have great performance in games that are optimized for SteamOS?

Yeah, it's extremely frustrating!

For the past 15 years and more I could answer exactly what set up a person would need for a gaming PC.

Now, just as we saved up money for a much needed upgrade in our internet cafe, we don't dare buy anything for at least a few months, while newer games suffer in performance.

AMD to announce desktop CPUs that may be game changers since they will be 8-core (but based on newer tech, not the current ones) and games may be developed for that type of CPU due to consoles, AMD to announce new GPUs but we still don't know benchmarks or price of the new chips, NVIDIA to announce new GPUs which will be completely new technology and not just overclocked renamed cards, and now Steam Machines to be announced, with rumors about PCs going the shared RAM-vRAM and packaged motherboard-CPU-GPU solutions...

Fuck it all, seriously, no one can truly answer what the optimal gaming built will be in a year or so.

kartu

Banned
What does multi-platform mean in this context?

2013-09-25_17-34-37d4szq.jpg

Win/Unix? Win/consoles? Win/consoles/Unix?

If GCN cards run better with Mantle than Nvidia cards then they will not only ignore it, but probably counter it with their own Nvidia-centric solution. Same goes for Intel.
Cough, PhysX anyone, cough?
In this case we are talking about something that is inherently Manufacturer X specific, unlike PhysX which was artificially "proprietarized"...

And who games on Intel GPUs? ^^

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
hmmm mantle is nice for the gpu's but they have power to spare...that is clear, but i wonder what mantle will mean for APU's , if it provides a noticeable increase in performance on an APU and the richland / trinity / maybe even temash chips...omg AMD has a winner , many more systems will be gaming ready.

kharma45

hmmm mantle is nice for the gpu's but they have power to spare...that is clear, but i wonder what mantle will mean for APU's , if it provides a noticeable increase in performance on an APU and the richland / trinity / maybe even temash chips...omg AMD has a winner , many more systems will be gaming ready.

It will help Kaveri when it launches as it'll have a GCN GPU but for Richland, Trinity it'll make no difference.

Top Bottom