• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 8 | Expecting reprints? Too bad. Waluigi time.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
There's a couple new common amiibo bundles coming out that are already up on Amazon:
euFFcS0.jpg

Man, working in retail I'm not looking forward to stocking more of these x.x We already have so many animal crossing amiibo game bundles. At least these are better games so hopefully they'll sell.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
There's a couple new common amiibo bundles coming out that are already up on Amazon:

"Please help us clear out these unsold Amiibos sitting in warehouses."

Seriously, though, Captain Toad should have been bundled with an Amiibo from the beginning.

Wonder if Mario Party 10 sans Amiibo will be $30. That would be nice.
If not, I'll GCU it down to $32, then sell the figure to GameStop and essentially get the game for less than $30.

"Please help us clear out these unsold Amiibos sitting in warehouses."

Seriously, though, Captain Toad should have been bundled with an Amiibo from the beginning.

Wonder if Mario Party 10 sans Amiibo will be $30. That would be nice.
If not, I'll GCU it down to $32, then sell the figure to GameStop and essentially get the game for less than $30.

Captain Toad didn't ship with amiibo support though. It was patched in later.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Bundles look like nothing more than to sell some overstock

If anything, they're actually a really good deal for people who don't have them. With GCU/Prime you're basically getting the game and figure for ~$35. Sure, maybe not the best deal for MP10, but not too shabby for Wooly World and Treasure Tracker!

Yarbskoo

Well, I only had one Splatoon amiibo at first, but I wanted to fill out the diorama so I picked up the recolor pack.

6us1uOP.png

I especially like the shiny gold shoes on the male inkling.

took them 1 year and a few months to restock Lucina lmao
I need a wii fit trainer though

someone pay me $10 for the toad amiibo so I can get the game for $22 + tax, already have a toad amiibo

I want to get back into card collecting. Is the amiibo card trade thread still alive at all?

There was a post not too long ago but unfortunately I don't think many people are still looking for cards or have extras to trade. Tfw i still have a bunch of japanese cards I want to trade for english S1 cards ;_____;

Does anyone happen to know why the S2 Monster Hunter amiibos seem to be more? Are the import sites just gouging the price up or are they bigger? I can't understand why they're like $5 more unless they're larger than the first ones.

Edit: oh yeah i forgot to show you guys:

d8aXGN2.png

I uh...made a Harambe "amiibo". This joke has gone too far.
Basically I took some sculptey clay and made a base with pretty similar measurements to a real one (only slightly larger to accommodate the gorilla figure) I heavily thought about getting a DK amiibo and putting the tag inside, but I haven't seen a dong amiibo in a while (and certainly not one that was cheap enough for me to play around with)

Draxal

There was a post not too long ago but unfortunately I don't think many people are still looking for cards or have extras to trade. Tfw i still have a bunch of japanese cards I want to trade for english S1 cards ;_____;

Does anyone happen to know why the S2 Monster Hunter amiibos seem to be more? Are the import sites just gouging the price up or are they bigger? I can't understand why they're like $5 more unless they're larger than the first ones.

d8aXGN2.png

Basically I took some sculptey clay and made a base with pretty similar measurements to a real one (only slightly larger to accommodate the gorilla figure) I heavily thought about getting a DK amiibo and putting the tag inside, but I haven't seen a dong amiibo in a while (and certainly not one that was cheap enough for me to play around with)

Size. Think of them as two figured in one with the riders being exchangable.

zroid

Banned

d8aXGN2.png

Apes everywhere would be proud

I'm thinking of selling my amiibo collection. I own the complete Smash Bros. line (with the exception of the Mii's and the Famicom variant of ROB), Toad, and the original three Splatoon ones.

I'm just really disappointed with underutilised they are. When games do use them, it's usually just for trivial cosmetic stuff.

The only examples of amiibos being used in any meaningful way that I care about are the Splatoon ones unlocking various challenges, Link unlocking the Spinner in Hyrule Warriors, and the Mario characters unlocking battle cards in Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (too bad the game itself was quite weak).

Somehow I doubt that things will change with the NX, as I feel like Nintendo don't want to lock substantial DLC-esque content behind amiibos. WHich I can kind of understand; they'e in a catch-22 situation; if they lock good content behind them, they'll piss off people who can't find them/don't want to buy them. Plus the cost of creating that content probably wouldn't be covered.

I understand collecting amiibos is more about collecting for the sake of it, but that's lost it's appeal to me. I prefer collecting stuff that has a practical purpose. I'm actually thinking of buying Pokemon Trading Cards with what I can sell the amiibos for, as I can at least build decks and stuff with those, and trade with friends (not to mention also redeem codes for more cards in the online game, which I can use to play people online with).

Has anybody else felt the same way at all?

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Let him go Diggeh. Some people can't be helped!

I don't get this sudden trend of amiibo-do-nothing-so-I'm-bailing-out. You worked so hard to build up this awesome collection and suddenly because they don't have a lot of functionality these unique figures spanning Nintendo's history are worthless?! Where else are you going to get a Captain Falcon figure?! I'll never get rid of mine! You won't take me alive! NEVEEEEEEEEEEEEER

vPesMQs.gif

keep them all forever

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I don't get this sudden trend of amiibo-do-nothing-so-I'm-bailing-out. You worked so hard to build up this awesome collection and suddenly because they don't have a lot of functionality these unique figures spanning Nintendo's history are worthless?! Where else are you going to get a Captain Falcon figure?! I'll never get rid of mine! You won't take me alive! NEVEEEEEEEEEEEEER

World of Nintendo line

It's gonna have a Captain Falcon/Earthbound wave any day now

aaaaaaaaaaany day now

Weebos

Banned
On this topic: Anybody know how much you can get for an amiibo trade-in at gamestop (or wherever?)

I have a few amiibo that I don't care about that I got as gifts, and I'm moving soon so clearing out a little space would be nice.

EDIT: Just did the legwork on my own and LOL. A hot $2.50 for poor old Samus. I'll just keep her.

Jawmuncher

On this topic: Anybody know how much you can get for an amiibo trade-in at gamestop (or wherever?)

I have a few amiibo that I don't care about that I got as gifts, and I'm moving soon so clearing out a little space would be nice.

EDIT: Just did the legwork on my own and LOL. A hot $2.50 for poor old Samus. I'll just keep her.

Yeah the amiibo trade in prices even for rares are pretty bad.

RedBoot

I would at least wait for the NX announcement to see what kind of plans they have going forward. Since there doesn't appear to be plans for a Skylanders-esque amiibo focused game, I've started to hope more for lots of minor uses over a long period of time, which is fine.

But if the NX doesn't have an NFC reader or something, yeah, might be time to bail. But I don't see that happening. (also, I'd never get rid of most of mine, too much novelty in figures for characters like Ness, Falcon, and Waluigi)

Neoxon

I would at least wait for the NX announcement to see what kind of plans they have going forward. Since there doesn't appear to be plans for a Skylanders-esque amiibo focused game, I've started to hope more for lots of minor uses over a long period of time, which is fine.

But if the NX doesn't have an NFC reader or something, yeah, might be time to bail. But I don't see that happening. (also, I'd never get rid of most of mine, too much novelty in figures for characters like Ness, Falcon, and Waluigi)
At this point, I doubt that Nintendo would bail on Amiibos. They wouldn't be making the BotW Amiibos if they were.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Amiibo aren't going anywhere, I'm not going anywhere, Direct soon, believe! ;)

Don't forget you're here forever

Top Bottom