• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Schumer insisted Netflix pay her the same as Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle

Dalek

Amy Schumer insisted Netflix pay her the same as Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle

800.jpg

Income inequality has become an increasingly discussed topic in Hollywood in recent years, as women and members of minorities stand up for the apparently still-radical idea that they should be paid as much as their white or male co-stars. That disparity (and the outrage it provokes) even extends outside TV and movies, and into the world of stand-up, with a recent Variety post highlighting stand-up comic Amy Schumer's efforts to get equal compensation for her work from Netflix.

Schumer released a new stand-up special with the streaming service, The Leather Special, earlier this year. But shortly after she signed the deal with the company, stories began to break about the massive, $20 million paydays Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock had both pulled down for booking similar gigs. Schumer—who was reportedly being paid $11 million for her own set—went back to the company, demanding something closer to equal pay for her work. It's not clear if she got an exactly equal paycheck, but the company did move to bring her pay and the male comics' in line with each other.

Kyzer

Banned
I'd need to see the receipts, without knowing what they pulled in ticket sales and what she pulls it could be about right or not

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Schumer is fucking lucky she even got 11 million.

That's way above her shitty level of comedy compared to Chapelle and Rock

Makki

You gotta earn it first Schumer. Women comedians deserve a bigger spotlight and potential big paying opportunities, but she isn't exactly a beacon of fresh comedy.

Giolon

Is Amy Schumer as big of a draw as Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock? I don't think so, but if she was able to get a better deal for herself, then good for her!

Is it because they are men or because they are funnier/have more fans/better etc?

I mean I applaud pay equality but Chappelle and Rock are leagues better than Schumer.

Hopefully this doesn't devolve into her stealing jokes.

Edit: missed Chris Rock. Also another poster rained on the parade mentioning Adam Sandler. *sigh*

otapnam

if she had worked as long as chapelle & rock and had the same fanbase and viewerships then that makes sense. But she's not on the same level.

-MD-

Why? They've been in the game so much longer than her and are infinitely better at what they do.

VeeP

Why? They are much better than her tbh

You gotta earn it first Schumer. Women comedians deserve a bigger spotlight and potential big paying opportunities, but she isn't exactly a beacon of fresh comedy.

Pretty much my thoughts.

How much did Hasan Minhaj get paid for his?

I'm curious as well. His special was great IMO.

If she brings in similar numbers fans, then she should get paid. Simple.

Great point as well. Netflix probably has statistics and paid what they thought was appropriate and what she could bring in. Female viewers who don't watch stand up generally might have even tuned it just for her.

But shortly after she signed the deal with the company, stories began to break about the massive, $20 million paydays Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock had both pulled down for booking similar gigs. Schumer—who was reportedly being paid $11 million for her own set—went back to the company, demanding something closer to equal pay for her work. It’s not clear if she got an exactly equal paycheck, but the company did move to bring her pay and the male comics’ in line with each other.

How dare she successfully negotiate! Doesn't she realize she's not as good as Chappelle and Rock?!!?

IrishNinja

huh?? she isn't even remotely funny as Dave Chappelle.
shes not really funny in the first place though
If someone like Tina Fey wasn't getting paid as much as them, yeah it'd be a big deal.

Aeana

Women get paid less than men -> "well maybe they should learn to negotiate like men do!"

Woman negotiates for higher pay, is successful -> "fuck that she doesn't deserve it!"

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I honestly have never heard of 'Amy Schumer' before in my life...as much as Dave or Chris? waaaaaa...Is she big in Europe or something?

Top Bottom