• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Rock surprises club w/ Amy Schumer, Seinfeld, Aziz Ansari, Dave Chapelle in NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll go to bat for her. Her show is fucking hilarious, and I've mostly liked her stand-up. The only real thing she's done I didn't go for was Trainwreck.

I think she might just be one of those comedians not suited for a film career. It felt like she just wasn't "with it" for lack of a better term.

Meanwhile I love trainwreck, and her show is great. I just like the stuff she writes more than anything, I find it pretty clever.

I was at the cellar for a chris rock / chappelle / john mayer stand up / musical thing (impromptu)

also two months ago for a two hour set by hannibal buress / michael che / chappelle

nyc the goat for stand up

botty

Banned
I wonder what it's like to be Dave Chapelle...to always be the funniest person in the room wherever you go.

Cagey

Banned
I really, really wish I could hear both their sets lol
Memory is a little hazy because this happened in 2012 or so.

Aziz did a surprise spot and did a bunch of celebrity stories where he's the punchline for being uncool hanging around huge stars like Kanye etc. Boring, repetitive, name dropping shit.

Attell gets up next and first thing he says is "so I was doing an 8-ball off a hooker's ass on a yacht with Jay-Z the other day and..." and shook his head. The rest of his set he sprinkled in random celebrity name-drops in absurd situations the rest of the way. Wish I could remember the others.

Nobody here said she's funny. Her only feature seems to be that she's friends with Chris Rock.
Schumer's set at the Comedy Cellar is very funny. I caught her in 2014. I don't like her show or movies and was very pleasantly surprised at how she killed the small room setting for a monster 20 minutes.

It's one thing to not like Amy Schumer's comedy, but this incessant need to completely dismiss her and remind people any time an opportunity arises is amusing... it's almost as if there's something else that bothers them.

Maximus.

gross, who let a fucking woman into my comedy club

women aren't funny

people, this is scientifically proven

plus they have cooties

There it is. People can't hate on Amy because she is a woman right? It's too hard to believe that she doesn't have the rich comedic history of Seinfeld, Chappelle and Chris Rock.

I don't think Aziz is funny, he does good sometimes in a supporting role and has the random decent joke. So in that set, there are two people that aren't that funny compared to the others.

Bronx-Man

Banned
There it is. People can't hate on Amy because she is a woman right? It's too hard to believe that she doesn't have the rich comedic history of Seinfeld, Chappelle and Chris Rock.

I don't think Aziz is funny, he does good sometimes in a supporting role and has the random decent joke. So in that set, there are two people that aren't that funny compared to the others.
Are people in this thread taking time to call Aziz a fucking hack?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

And some people have an incredible hard on to shit on her. Hell I've done so as well so I'm guilty too but unlike some I'll say she has talent and has made me laugh on several occasions. Some of you though, its like she pissed in your fruit loops and stole your man.

Maximus.

Are people in this thread taking time to call Aziz a fucking hack?

Yes. Even a story about another comedian shitting on him after he had a bad set.

And some people have an incredible hard on to shit on her. Hell I've done so as well so I'm guilty too but unlike some I'll say she has talent and has made me laugh on several occasions. Some of you though, its like she pissed in your fruit loops and stole your man.

Some people are like that, sure. That doesn't mean people can't speak out on disliking someone. Comedy is subjective. There are however concensous on those that are considered real legends or big comedians.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
....where in this thread?

Cagey was ripping into Aziz for being awful.

I don't necessarily disagree with you about Schumer.

People are really weirdly passionate about how much they hate certain comedians. I still don't understand the vitriol that Dane Cook gets.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Cagey was ripping into Aziz for being awful.

I don't necessarily disagree with you about Schumer.
Cagey's post was mild saying Aziz was awful, but every time Amy Schumer gets mentioned there's fucking venom spat at her.

Like some of y'all need to chill with it. (Not saying you're a part of it or anything like that)

New002

Memory is a little hazy because this happened in 2012 or so.

Aziz did a surprise spot and did a bunch of celebrity stories where he's the punchline for being uncool hanging around huge stars like Kanye etc. Boring, repetitive, name dropping shit.

Attell gets up next and first thing he says is "so I was doing an 8-ball off a hooker's ass on a yacht with Jay-Z the other day and..." and shook his head. The rest of his set he sprinkled in random celebrity name-drops in absurd situations the rest of the way. Wish I could remember the others.

Schumer's set at the Comedy Cellar is very funny. I caught her in 2014. I don't like her show or movies and was very pleasantly surprised at how she killed the small room setting for a monster 20 minutes.

Sounds awesome lol. I love Attell. I've seen Aziz and enjoy his stand-up, and I can perfectly imagine that set you're describing. He likes his celebrity stories for sure. I wouldn't want to sit through a whole set of just that @_@.

I haven't seen any of Amy's movies, but I've caught bits of her show and was not a fan, but her stand-up is great IMO.

Cagey

Banned
Sounds awesome lol. I love Attell. I've seen Aziz and enjoy his stand-up, and I can perfectly imagine that set you're describing. He likes his celebrity stories for sure. I wouldn't want to sit through a whole set of just that @_@.

I haven't seen any of Amy's movies, but I've caught bits of her show and was not a fan, but her stand-up is great IMO.
I like Aziz too. I don't think he's a hack. But 20 minutes of humblebrag was 15 too much.

SheHateMe

Strictly based on Amy's comedy, I do find her funny. I think sometimes people take her personal stances and mix them in with her comedy and that's where the vitriol comes from. I try not to, and in that I enjoy her stand up most times.

Aziz is very hit or miss, and it's like 70/30 with the heavy part being miss. When he's on, he's ON, but YIKES when he's off; it makes me cringe.

I've always said that Rock and Chappelle have timing down to an exact science; they can hit you with an average joke, but the timing is what makes it go over. Robin Williams and Richard Pryor had that timing too. (Lenny Bruce was the KING of timing.)

Dane Cook, though.... I liked his movies (Good Luck Chuck was actually okay), but his stand up didn't do it for me.

riotous

Banned
I first saw Schumer on the Charlie Sheen roast and she killed it; I have had a soft spot for her ever since, despite not always enjoying her material since then.

I first saw Schumer on the Charlie Sheen roast and she killed it; I have had a soft spot for her ever since, despite not always enjoying her material since then.
Anthony Jeselnik wrote her jokes for the Sheen and Roseanne roasts when he was dating her. He actually wrote for a lot of people before he even appeared on the roasts himself.

I saw Attel at the Comedy Cellar the one time I went there/NYC. Dude honestly puts most of the most popular comedians I've ever seen to shame. He's so good off the cuff and I'm sure it comes from playing small clubs like this constantly...maybe to a fault, but I can't believe over the last 20 years or whatever that Attel hasn't made a bigger name for himself. You can tell other comedians love him, but who knows maybe that's enough.

YesManKablaam

Neo Member
He's so good off the cuff and I'm sure it comes from playing small clubs like this constantly...maybe to a fault, but I can't believe over the last 20 years or whatever that Attel hasn't made a bigger name for himself. You can tell other comedians love him, but who knows maybe that's enough.

I've heard plenty of stories about how the best comedians get to where they are through dedicated, continuous performance. When you hear of the likes of Attel, Chapelle or Rock casually turning up to a smaller venue and tearing the place apart, it's because those guys are seasoned like you would not believe. I actually find it a bit unfair to draw comparisons between those people and newer comedians like Schumer, as she just doesn't have nearly as much practice as the legends do.

When people say about how good Chapelle's timing is, you would expect as much for a guy that's been in the circuit for how many decades now? That's the kind of guy that could spin any old shit into gold, and gauge within a minute of how to play to a room. I'm glad that places like the Cellar still maintain a strict no cameras policy, as it gives the performers the chance to refine work, as opposed to having it uploaded to Youtube within the hour then having to chuck all that material in the bin (Jimmy Carr has made very good points on this issue with regards to how difficult it is for comedians in the 21st century to practice material).

robotrock

Banned
I saw chris rock outside of the comedy cellar once at 3am when i was eating an incredible shawarma from mamoun's falafel

riotous

Banned
Anthony Jeselnik wrote her jokes for the Sheen and Roseanne roasts when he was dating her. He actually wrote for a lot of people before he even appeared on the roasts himself.

Doesn't surprise me; he was also awesome on those roasts.

His briefly held TV show was one of the worst things I've ever seen on TV though; it was embarrassing.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
I love The Comedy Cellar

Best joint in NYC by far

I remember sitting right up front when Jeff Ross was performing and I was trying to egg him on but wouldn't take the bait

women aren't funny

plus they have cooties

image.php

pretty awesome, i'm jelly. My fav thing about the photo in OP is that you can 100% tell that Seinfeld's shadow, like... goddamn I have watched too many Seinfeld episodes I guess

Also who is the other tall black guy behind Chapelle?

Aziz is funny when he is in shows/movies especially his Netflix show, but his stand up is garbage tier. He is leagues below amy who is leagues below the others.

I like 80% of her show tho. The stand up or movie didn't work for me 🤷🏿. Ppl boost her up because she is a white woman. Ppl shit on her because she is a woman. She is just an average skilled comedian nothing wrong with that at all.

When ppl say woman aren't funny nobody ever mentions the queens of comedy. 4 really funny black women. I wonder why they don't seem to count??

Also Chris rock looks like he is about to audition for 90s snl in that pic wtf lol. He looks 22.

That random guy better make something of himself in the comedy game or he will end up drinking and looking at this pic an sobbing later on in life lol.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

women aren't funny

plus they have cooties
Women can be funny, just not ones that nearly word-for-word steal jokes from other comedians, ones she has opened for as well. Schumer is firmly in Mencia territory as far as allegations, instances and evidence goes. She's earned her reputation exactly like male comedians that have been accused for the same.

EDIT: This is in addition to her having some crummy delivery and really predictable and unoriginal material. Which also factors into the whole joke stealing controversy.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I was there last night (missed it by a day!) and Aziz came back for another set.

He was great, worked on a set for his upcoming SNL gig next week.

Good times!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom