• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Schumer insisted Netflix pay her the same as Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle

a woman asked for a raise, this is unacceptable.

No. Maybe Schumer can bring similar number in the States. I don't know are her specials really that popular. Now in Europe? Not a chance in hell. Now if that proves wrong after Rock and his special have aired, pay the woman.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Don't like Shumer, but she's a pretty big draw. Checked out the Forbes lists and their 2016 list of highest paid comedians had her 4th. She brings in a lot of money. 5th for 2017 after the Netflix deal.

Maybe it's the international aspect of this forum or maybe it's the nature of comedy being a pretty love-it-or-hate-it binary, but people on GAF seem to regularly underestimate the popularity of Amy Schumer.

She is very successful, very well liked, and is as much of a personality as she is a comedian.

I wouldn't put her anywhere near the legacy of Chris Rock, but as far as contemporary comedians go, she is a big one.

You don't have to like her or her comedy to think she should be paid more closely to other male comedians who do similar work.

dbztrk

I don't feel that she deserves anywhere near what Chris and Dave made. She's a hack comic who has stolen other comedian's jokes and I generally don't find her funny (my subjective view).

However, if she brings in the views that Netflix wants, then I guess she "deserves" the same pay.

If she were a man, videos like this wouldn't be happening.

Idk about that. I remember Carlos Mencia getting shit by a lot of comics for joke stealing as well.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of hers but it is pretty shitty if she is getting underpaid if she is indeed that popular now.

Edit: beaten on the Mencia thing, lol

entremet

Maybe it's the international aspect of this forum or maybe it's the nature of comedy being a pretty love-it-or-hate-it binary, but people on GAF seem to regularly underestimate the popularity of Amy Schumer.

She is very successful, very well liked, and is as much of a personality as she is a comedian.

I wouldn't put her anywhere near the legacy of Chris Rock, but as far as contemporary comedians go, she is a big one.

You don't have to like her or her comedy to think she should be paid more closely to other male comedians who do similar work.

Yeah. There is an elitism that is common here. Nothing inherently wrong with being an elitist. The issue becomes an issue when people can't understand that other people like different things from you.

For example, when people post "Why?" Can't you understand or empathize why others may like something you don't? That's rhetorical. But I notice that a lot in this forum. People like or love different things. It's not that serious lol.

So, there's like two things at play here.

On one hand, she's a morally decrepit joke-stealing thief with no sense of comedic timing who tends to ruin the jokes she steals.

On the other hand, she's a woman who negotiated to be paid as much as men.

Both of these things are true. A lot of people just happen to care more about the latter than the former. My reaction's a lot more like that Larry David "ehnh" gif. On one hand, awful comedians don't deserve to be paid well. On the other hand, people shouldn't be paid less just because of their gender. My personal bias being against her as an awful comedian has me kinda wishing she got paid less because she's an awful comedian, but some people see her being paid less as exclusively about gender discrimination.

I think people care more about societal injustice than individual injustice, which is why it's being seen more as a victory for women (many) than a victory for a joke thief (individual). But I mean, this only works if she had previously been paid less than other people because of her gender, and I personally don't know anything about that, so I can't comment. For all I know, she walked in and went "I want to be paid as much as your most profitable comedians" and Netflix was like "yeah sure okay" without even offering her a figure. I dunno.
/Thread. Best post on here.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
On the subject at hand if she asked for more money and got it good for her. I don't think she's worth that, but ain't my call. Good for her if she negotiated and got the cash though.

Did someone really just say Chappelle had a bad show?

I think Dave is still funny, but both standups on Netflix weren't home runs for me.

DR2K

Banned
She's a big draw. Probably even bigger than Rock or Chappelle currently. Glad she got the pay she deserved. :)

dhlt25

If she can bring in the viewers in the same number as Dave then she should be compensated accordingly. Netflix has all he data it needs to make that call

Bluenoser

Except her Black Leather Special was one of the worst stand up acts I've ever seen. She's done as far as I'm concerned. I found her mildly funny when she first broke onto the scene, but now she's lost it. And her overly raunchy content is long past its expiry date.

I haven't seen Rock and Chappelle's recent shows though, maybe they're just as bad, and she wanted equal pay for equal disappointment....

Sony

Nintendo
Except her Black Leather Special was one of the worst stand up acts I've ever seen. She's done as far as I'm concerned. I found her mildly funny when she first broke onto the scene, but now she's lost it. And her overly raunchy content is long past its expiry date.

Same money as Chappelle and Rock? LMFAO. Maybe get some talent first?

"Wanna hear a joke about my vagina?" - The musical

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
I think Schumer is definitely more mainstream popular than Chappelle or Rock. Have either Rock or Chappelle done anything else, lately?
I know I'm hella late but Rock puts out movies every couple of years (Top 5) and Chappelle is currently selling out Radio City Music Hall. Let her ask and get her money right. Ultimately, Netflix will justify her value through internal data.

I haven't seen Rock and Chappelle's recent shows though, maybe they're just as bad, and she wanted equal pay for equal disappointment....
Chappelle's Netflix stand up was fucking hilarious.

All comes down to the numbers. If her last special (somehow) pulled in the same numbers, she should get paid. If it only pulled in half, she should only get half of what they do.

Sony

Nintendo
All comes down to the numbers. If her last special (somehow) pulled in the same numbers, she should get paid. If it only pulled in half, she should only get half of what they do.

They should calculate the damage to the brand (Netflix) as a result of her being on there as well xD

Ishan

if shes worth it sure . if not nope ... i meant lawrence gets paid bank right and shes good and popular

This is the only correct line of thinking.

Regardless of if you think she's funny or not, she should get paid similarly if she brings in similar business.

Good for her. Though one could argue she doesn't have the same quality, legacy or audience numbers.
I thought she was pretty funny actually.

KingV

Did someone really just say Chappelle had a bad show?

I agree with that. His special wasn't really that great.

I was expecting more based on his past work.

Edit: that said. No way does Amy Schumer deserve the same money. Chapelle special was probably the most hyped comedy special in 5 or 10 years

Harmen

If she pulls similar numbers, and I assume she does because she is a very well known comedian, then by all means she should be paid a similar amount of money. My own opinion on her type of humor is irrelevant in regards to this topic.

Can't believe this thread is still going. The pushback on this is insanely bitter and strong. It literally merits a "meh," but it always seems like any time a woman pushes into a male space or pushes for equality with a male counterpart the internet explodes.

"I want be paid as much as men"
*finds the highest paid male in her field*

I have no idea how much money is fair in her circumstance and for sure her gender should not determine it, and good for her for negotiating btw, but comparing herself to Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle is a bit much.

I do not think this can be said enough:

If she brings in the views then she deserves the same amount of pay. If she does not, well why pay someone more money if they are not worth that amount?

I personally don't like her type of comedy but pay her, her due.

HariKari

Can't believe this thread is still going. The pushback on this is insanely bitter and strong. It literally merits a "meh," but it always seems like any time a woman pushes into a male space or pushes for equality with a male counterpart the internet explodes.

I have a hard time believing she has the same pull as Chappelle or Chris Rock. Then again, Adam Sandler's garbage has been a 'good' investment for Netflix according to them, so whatever.

Business isn't a perfect meritocracy, basically, which is why some people are hung up on this. She's popular for whatever reason and that matters a lot.

Gunblade47

Neo Member
Only seen her on a dumbest criminals show years back and even then she wasn't funny.

Honest question from the US and genuinely surprised at this new revelation but how did she get as far as she did? Was it standup? Or doing movies and shows? From my understanding she's kind of doing the "jack of all but ace in none" strategy with her career?

KingV

I have a hard time believing she has the same pull as Chappelle or Chris Rock. Then again, Adam Sandler's garbage has been a 'good' investment for Netflix according to them, so whatever.

Business isn't a perfect meritocracy, basically, which is why some people are hung up on this. She's popular for whatever reason and that matters a lot.

I remember reading that That Adam Sandler western movie had the most views in the first 30 days of any movie on Netflix ever.

Maybe they think Amy Schumer has the same counterintuitive draw with their audience that makes it worthwhile. Of course, I don't know that the article says they agreed to pay her as much as Chapelle... only that she asked for it.

Ricky_R

She has the right to negotiate whatever the hell she wants and she's deserving of any money she can get from that negotiation. Is she worth that money if she can't meet the projected numbers they stipulated in the contract? That's another thing entirely.

Either way, good for her.

Top Bottom